Scarlet Pimpernel

Discussion of musicals other than Les Misérables.
YoungStudentMarius

Re: Scarlet Pimpernel

Postby YoungStudentMarius » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:07 pm

Bit of an old thread (looks like I just missed the party on this one), but I love The Scarlet Pimpernel. My introduction was through the books, so I was also a bit wary at first of Chauvelin being in love with Marguerite, but the change definitely grew on me. Though I also liked their relationship in the book––how it was a close friendship, yet also frighteningly detached, and, you know, manipulative on Chauvelin's part without jealousy. And I definitely agree about the structure of the book being better. I mean, we all know who the pimpernel is, but when the revelation comes, it's not exactly how you would expect–– less, "oh, it's him?!" and more "oh no, it's him." Which really helps keep the energy going in a book so entirely campy and overdramatic. And then having the second twist at the end was really fun, and makes you feel clever even if it's also pretty obvious.

I've never seen a production, much as I like to, so I actually had no idea about the rewrites. Some of that sounds kind of crazy....I can't imagine Madame Guillotine as a solo number. Having only listened to it, the original version still sounds like one of the better crafted ensemble numbers in the show.

Acaila wrote:
23623 wrote:....am I the only one who hears "you'll be sleeping with Madame Guillotine" instead of "you'll be smitten with Madame Guillotine"? I know the correct lyrics, but I still hear that. :mrgreen:

Wait, sleeping is wrong?! :shock: (told you I was dumb!)

I always thought it was "sleeping," too! I kind of like it that way better....it is creepy, and it fits in with "ravish" later, and you know, the sleep of death and everything. But well, I guess I'm finding out that's wrong! :lol:
And alas, I really love Into the Fire, awfully campy and overstated as it is. (Confession: I've actually listened to it before almost every big presentation or interview I've done since I was about 14....and you wouldn't believe how well it worked).

I really enjoyed the 1982 movie as well, but I haven't seen any of the other versions.

deHavilland wrote:I read most, but not all of the books and if you didn't like the first one, you probably won't be overly enamoured with the rest of them either as the writing is pretty consistent throughout. El Dorado (the fourth book chronologically by publication) is the one that most of the movies tend to be based on or take most elements from, so it can make for an exciting read. Sir Percy Hits Back (the ninth) was good, too, and I confess I read it because one of the episodes of the mini-series is based on it and is about Percy teaming up with Chauvelin's daughter, which I enjoyed. I wouldn't say you necessarily had to read any of them in any particular order, though.

Me too! I think I read the first 15 or so when I was about thirteen, and I remember the writing being pretty mediocre, but in such a gung-ho, cheesy way that it's all great fun. The first one's still my favorite, and I think El Dorado was the only other one I really loved, but most of them were pretty enjoyable. I did kind of hate I Will Repay, but I don't remember any of the others being too awful.
Our chimeras are the things which most resemble us. Each of us dreams of the unknown and the impossible in accordance with his nature.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:46 pm

I think it's I Will Repay that I have a first edition of! Found a copy in our little local second hand bookstore that is closed now, for the princely sum of £1!
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

Postby 23623 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:04 pm

Ah I'm glad to see this revived. I love this thread so much.

Quick question about the musical: does anyone know about the concept album of SP? It's very different from...from everything else out there. (Gosh this musical is confusing.) Who were in the cast and what was the plot? Thanks in advance!

And yes “sleeping” actually works better! :wink: Also I used to hear “you know you've got it, Valjean” in Into the Fire. Took me forever to realize that the correct lyrics should be “you've got to march on”. :oops: :lol:
Revolution, but civilization

Prisoner 24653

Postby Prisoner 24653 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:08 pm

23623 wrote:Quick question about the musical: does anyone know about the concept album of SP? It's very different from...from everything else out there. (Gosh this musical is confusing.) Who were in the cast and what was the plot? Thanks in advance!

Ah yes... The concept album was recorded in 1991 and featured Chuck Wagner as Percy, Linda Eder as Marguerite, and David Clemmons as Chauvelin. I find it pretty cool that Wildhorn releases at least some of the concept albums he's made for his shows (having done so for "Jekyll & Hyde," "Dracula," "Rudolf," and some others) -- it's interesting to see how the shows have developed and evolved over time. Much like seeing how LM developed from the original French album to the London production, and then everything that came afterward. Or I'm just a geek. :lol:

And yes “sleeping” actually works better! :wink: Also I used to hear “you know you've got it, Valjean” in Into the Fire. Took me forever to realize that the correct lyrics should be “you've got to march on”. :oops: :lol:

Hehe! Must admit I never heard "sleeping" -- I always thought it was either "sitting" (which doesn't make a whole lot of sense) or "slitting" (which fits slightly better, but is still a bit odd). And that misheard line is awesome -- yay for connecting these shows about French history! XD

CC21106

Postby CC21106 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:23 pm

Acaila wrote:I think it's I Will Repay that I have a first edition of! Found a copy in our little local second hand bookstore that is closed now, for the princely sum of £1!
Wow!!
I found among my books once a 1774 edition of the third volume of Cicero's letters. Tiny print--he had a lot to say. All set by hand, too. I gave it to my brother's old Latin teacher. Books do get around.
Don't mess with Texas! We mess up enough by ourselves.
I have actually made bullets like they're doing in my avatar. Then loaded the gun with a ramrod, and shot it. But I'm not feeling real good about guns right now.

Return to “Other Musicals”