Across the Universe

Discussion of musicals other than Les Misérables.
Majestic_Picnob

Across the Universe

Postby Majestic_Picnob » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:15 pm

Any other fans of this awesome movie musical here? It's the source of my avatar and I watched it last night and loved it as much as ever.

It also seems to, strangely, have an interesting connection with Les Mis fandom, which is why I'm bringing it up on this board. Since the LM movie I've seen quite a few 1960s AUs, and many of them are advertised in their summary as being similar to Across the Universe. Why? I have no idea. Anyone here know? I will say, though, Across the Universe does have a similar general plot outline to Les Mis - they're both about a group of unique but pretty messed up everymen and -women who encounter each other, largely by chance and absurd coincidences, and touch each others' lives amidst a backdrop of social upheaval. Then again, there's probably a ton of stories like that.

By the way, I really hope Julie Taymor's star eventually bounces back. She's done so much awesome work, including adapting Shakespeare and Greek tragedies, and yet these day's she's only known as the person who ruined Spider-Man, to the point of being portrayed as a buffoon on Saturday Night Live. She deserves better than that, don't you think?
"Oh my God! I'll never have time to strike a pose!"

Acaila

Re: Across the Universe

Postby Acaila » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:37 pm

Me! Haven't seen it in quite a while actually, but I do enjoy it. Some very nice arrangements of songs, and I think it's probably responsible for All My Loving being my favourite Beatles tune.

And yes, Julie Taymor has a lot of interesting ideas. Tbh, I could see some potential in some ofthe bits of Spiderman that had her fingerprints, along with a few things that were awful, but even excluding direction that whole musical was a disaster area (not just figuratively!) so it's a shame that she's so closely linked with it.

Though man, her adaptation of Titus Andronicus is the stuff of nightmares (actually literally :oops:)
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

Majestic_Picnob

Postby Majestic_Picnob » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:57 pm

Is it weird I think some of the people in it would be good in Les Mis? Jim Sturgess could pull off Marius, I think, and I recall him having some support at musicals.net before the full cast of the LM movie was known. I also see a lot of Courfeyrac in Joe Anderson's Max - the fun-loving, hard-partying best friend who is nevertheless ultimately tragic. Evan Rachel Wood's voice is probably too deep for Cosette, though.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:32 pm

I'm sure I heard her name being mentioned in conjunction with the movie, though I can't remember in what role. In a fan context I mean though, nothing official. I think that was in the same boat a s "Emmy Rossum for Cosette" simply because they'd been in musical movies before.
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Prisoner 24653

Postby Prisoner 24653 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:21 pm

Actually, I think I remember hearing that Evan Rachel Wood auditioned for Éponine. Pretty sure it was official... but as we know, she didn't get the part. I was kinda hoping for her to be cast at the time, as well; I'd have preferred her to Lea Michele, the other major name being frequently mentioned for the role. (To say nothing of Taylor Swift, Emma Watson, and Lucy Hale.)

In any case... yes, I love Across the Universe. I've always been a big Beatles fan, and in retrospect, this and not Sweeney Todd was my favorite musical film from 2007 -- beautifully done in just about all respects, though I admit it had its flaws. The album still gets frequent play on my iPod. (Is it blasphemy if I say I like the arrangements and vocal performances of a few of the songs better than the original Beatles' versions? :? )

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:59 am

(if you're blasphemous then so am I :oops:)
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Majestic_Picnob

Postby Majestic_Picnob » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:34 am

Do you think it could work as a stage show?

Return to “Other Musicals”