Shows that you hate yourself for missing

Discussion of musicals other than Les Misérables.
Acaila

Shows that you hate yourself for missing

Postby Acaila » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:05 pm

Now the unfortunate part of the glorious thing that is theatre is that it is a transient and ephemeral art form, where awesome things are often gone far too soon. And sometimes you can't get tickets for a show you are excited about, sometimes you don't hear about it until it's over, and sometimes you weren't even born when it was last on stage, which is so unfair.

So what are the shows above all the others that you would kill for a time machine to go back in time and see, whether it's because of a particular musical, production or performer?
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

MmeBahorel

Re: Shows that you hate yourself for missing

Postby MmeBahorel » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:00 pm

Oh, lord, a very long list.

Let's just say that I was living in London when Sam West was doing Hamlet and I didn't go because I didn't know at the time that it was worth waiting for standing room and I'd kick myself for the rest of my life since at the time, I didn't know who he was. *headdesk* I keep running into things like this, both in London and locally. Too many shows, not enough time and money, and not enough information to make really good decisions, since you tend to learn people by seeing them in things, so all those things in their past bio you missed, you missed for valid reasons then that seem like really bad reasons now.

And I still wish I hadn't gone home for a visit in spring 2002 when I did, because Iain Davey went on as Enjolras and I missed him. You can imagine how upset I was to see that online from my bedroom in Illinois when I knew I could have been at the Palace had I made better choices. Mom would have had to just suck it up.
What kind of literature and what kind of life is the same question. - Tom Stoppard

between4walls

Postby between4walls » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:50 pm

Retrospectively I would love to have seen The Coast of Utopia- my parents went to the marathon show in NYC but at the time I was a) a kid, b) not yet a fan of anything by Stoppard (edit: by which I mean I didn't yet like any of his plays, not that I currently like anything he writes), and c) not yet interested in all things 19th century Russia. It was only when I read the script afterwards that I regretted missing it.

I would also have loved to see Derek Jacobi as Philip II in Don Carlos, but that was a) in London, b) before I read the play, and c) when I was a kid.
Last edited by between4walls on Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Here day embraces night, and says: I will die with you and you will be reborn with me. From the heavy embrace of all desolations springs faith.

The real name of devotion is disinterestedness.

between4walls

Postby between4walls » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:51 pm

And on a Hugo-related note, I recently missed Rigoletto at the Met due to just not getting my act together to go/get tickets.
Here day embraces night, and says: I will die with you and you will be reborn with me. From the heavy embrace of all desolations springs faith.

MmeBahorel

Postby MmeBahorel » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:16 am

As someone who went to Voyage, you dodged a bullet. The edits made for NY were terrible and some of the actors were wretchedly miscast. What was up on that stage was not a breath of a single eternal idea. Please imagine a fey Bakunin, a wooden Stankevich, a Tatiana that can only overact - can you get Voyage out of that? Especially when they decided to foreground and make canon the suspicion of Bakunin's incestuous affection for Tatiana. By having Katya the prostitute figure it out on Michael's reappearance in town and straight out tell Belinsky like he's a moron for not coming to the same conclusion out loud.

I was at first preview of it in London. That's the script you've read, that you adore, that we all adore. I almost left at intermission, the NY production was so bad. It means I'll never see Shipwreck or Salvage because they're just not going to get produced, but between the accent problems (what Brian O'Byrne was doing as Herzen, I have no idea, but it was weird and distracting and awful), the wretched miscasting of key characters, and terrible directorial decisions about rewrites because of a belief American audiences are stupid and must be led by the nose, I wasn't exactly going to get Shipwreck and Salvage anyway since I'd already paid for Voyage and didn't get what I'd paid for. I stuck around because the best performance in Act I was from Jason Butler Harner as Turgenev, and if I left, I wouldn't get to see him again. Billy Crudup was good enough as Belinsky, Jennifer Ehle was fine as Lyuba, but Jason Butler Harner *was* Turgenev. People around me left at intermission because they thought the show sucked, and I was sitting by regular Lincoln Center theatregoers, not hardcore Coast of Utopia fans.

I am still angry at Jack O'Brien for that travesty. My only hope (and it's probably too late now) is BBC turning it into a miniseries. It would kill the structure of Voyage, but it would more likely leave the characterisations intact.

I wish the National had scheduled the trilogy in the spring or autumn seasons, so I could have seen all three. Being in the summer season, I had to fly home two days after first preview of the first play, so there was no chance for Shipwreck and Salvage. I am eternally glad I saw Voyage there so I could fall in love, pick up the scripts when I was back in town the following year, and know that we in the US were deprived of the real work.
What kind of literature and what kind of life is the same question. - Tom Stoppard

between4walls

Postby between4walls » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:58 am

Oh, that's too bad. I'm sorry you didn't get to see Shipwreck, it's the one I really love of the three. Knowing Stoppard's conservatism, I am amazed and delighted with the degree to which he got it in that one, the catastrophe that was the failure of the 1848 revolutions and the sheer hopeless "Are you sorry for civilisation? I am sorry for it too."

I've seen some of the changes Stoppard did for the NYC production of Salvage and didn't really approve- he tried to fix one of the scenes between Bakunin and Herzen to make it so Bakunin didn't always lose the arguments, which was a structural problem, I agree, but the solution cut out some of the best lines and made all the dialogue a bit more a bit more obvious! But Salvage isn't really my favorite to begin with, except for that awesome scene where Ogarev points out that they're not publishers, they're revolutionaries with a printing press, and that the kids under arrest are like them when they were young. I love that scene.

Anyway, here's to hoping they do get produced again somewhere.

between4walls

Postby between4walls » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:17 am

Mme Bahorel, the whole trilogy is on in San Francisco right now! Details here! There's a marathon on April 26, too.

MmeBahorel

Postby MmeBahorel » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:24 pm

Oh, man! Wrong coast! *sob* I am so jealous of San Francisco right now!

(seriously, with more notice, I might have said screw it, I'll fly out for that one, but last minute plane fare is always terrible, and I'm literally changing jobs next week and wouldn't get the time off to let me arrive a day early to avoid possibly missing the first curtain. I'm running into the same issue for the James Plays, a co-production between the National Theatre and the National Theatre of Scotland. Tickets go on sale this week for the London run, and because I start a new job next week, I have no idea how to handle the trilogy dates. The new job is great, but the timing is turning out to be more complicated than expected, both for leaving the old job and for my theatre life.)

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:43 am

Is that going to London as well? Wow that's going to be confusing for the English, since they call our James the 6th, James the 1st.
I was planning to see if I could go and review that, since I want to see a lot of Scottish theatre this August with the referendum angle, but it's International Festival rather than Fringe, so a whole new press pass to arrange.
Abaisse Chief/Chef

MmeBahorel

Postby MmeBahorel » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:15 pm

Yep. September something to October 29 at the National. Trilogy days are the 25th of each of those months. Tickets for the London run go on sale Thursday. Fingers crossed 25 October doesn't sell out immediately so I can still buy tickets a week later if I'm able to sort everything out. A couple of my Black Watch friends are in, and Aly McCrae's doing the music, so I really don't want to miss this.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:28 pm

Lol, the NTS aren't doing anything to ditch their rep for hiring the same bunch of people then.
I was so pleased that they were getting a bunch of awesome new-to-them people involved in their summer pre-referendum tour, but then that got canned :roll:.
Though as far as Black Watch people go, Tiffany and Hoggett's Let The Right One In is playing London til the end of September I noticed the other day. I'm pissed that went to London rather than touring, because it did look really good! I can't say it counts under shows I hate myself for missing, because I knew it was on but didn't want to go to Dundee, but I'm hoping it does cross my path at some point.
Abaisse Chief/Chef

what fine marble

Postby what fine marble » Mon May 05, 2014 10:41 am

RENT came to the theater in my hometown WITH ANTHONY RAPP AND ADAM PASCAL (in 2009) and I missed it. I still haven't forgiven myself for that.
Can it be you fear to die?

Alouette

Postby Alouette » Wed May 07, 2014 3:16 pm

I was offered a free ticket to see Phantom on tour in 2012 with JOJ and Katie Hall and I turned.it.down.

Rachelle

Postby Rachelle » Thu May 08, 2014 1:07 pm

Andrew Lloyd Webber's Stephen Ward
I know it wasn't popular and flopped but I would go and see it in a heart beat.
I love most of the music, Alex Hanson is amazing in the title role... yeah, I know I haven't actually seen the show but I followed it from its outset and I still listen to the soundtrack on my ipod loads.
Yeah, I would love to have seen it.
"Cure your Cholera with boiled water and bananas"

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Fri May 09, 2014 11:40 am

Alouette wrote:I was offered a free ticket to see Phantom on tour in 2012 with JOJ and Katie Hall and I turned.it.down.

Great performers though from what I've heard about the direction of it, it may have been a good one to miss!
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Return to “Other Musicals”