Discussion of musicals other than Les Misérables.
CeridwenLynne
Location: At the Cafe Musain discussing politics with Enjolras.

Postby CeridwenLynne » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:38 pm

Does anyone else here like this musical? I love it! I used to own the movie version on VHS and hope to find it on Blu Ray soon. My favorite song is the one where Franklin, Jefferson, and Adams are waiting for the Declaration to be revised and they sing about the "egg." :D
" He makes no vain sacrifice who fights for a cause. All here are ready to die so that our brothers may live as free men. Liberty... sweet liberty... come fight with those who defend you." ----Enjolras.

MmeBahorel

Re: 1776

Postby MmeBahorel » Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:36 am

Best show ever. When Ford's Theatre did it last year (season before last), I think I was there every single week of the run. (I'm an usher, and they can usually use the help with the spring musical because it's always packed, so I only paid for one and even then it was half price in order to see a friend go on as Caesar Rodney.)

I'd have gone more than once a week, but I had other shows to see and things i was supposed to do other than hang out at 1776. It was a bit of a trip because they'd done it ten years earlier and had a few repeat cast members but all in different roles: Thomson was Caesar Rodney, Lyman Hall was Reverend Witherspoon (and understudy for Judge Wilson), Livingston was Richard Henry Lee, and McNair was Ben Franklin. It was mostly local casting, so I personally knew a bunch of people in the cast and was very familiar with the work of nearly all the rest, and it was the best spring ever getting to see everyone so frequently. I cried every time.

Ford's latest was only my fourth production. Theirs in 2003 was my first. I don't travel for it, really, but I really don't travel for much these days as I have so many priorities here. But when I have a production available, I see it a lot because it is the best show ever. (I treat Sweeney Todd the same way - very compelling cast will get me out of town for it, but when it happens locally, I'll see it as many times as I can afford because it is the best.)
What kind of literature and what kind of life is the same question. - Tom Stoppard

Prisoner 24653

Postby Prisoner 24653 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:56 am

I finally got to see the film! I have an embarrassingly long list of "musicals I need to check out sometime;" I had the cast album in iTunes for ages, but often, I need to see a version of the show to really be able to get into it. (I think the only shows I was able to fall in love with just from the cast albums were LM, POTO, Jekyll & Hyde, Scarlet Pimpernel, Assassins, Tanz der Vampire, and Sunset Boulevard; and for Sunset, I made a point of watching the original film first.)

Anyway... yeah, I loved 1776 -- it pleased my inner history geek. :D For those who've seen it live, were there any major changes from stage to screen?

Flynn

Postby Flynn » Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:29 pm

From all I've heard it's incredibly accurate to the show, with only a few minor cuts and tweaks here and there (though that also depends which version you watch- the original theatrical version cut "Cool, Considerate Men", which was restored for home releases, and the laserdisc release includes a substantial bit more than the current DVD cut- including an intermission!).

Return to “Other Musicals”