Miss Saigon

Discussion of musicals other than Les Misérables.
Gigi

Miss Saigon

Postby Gigi » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:58 am

Miss Saigon is becoming a current source of discussion again with its upcoming West End revival and I'm having a Miss Saigon themed week in my blog, so I thought why not make a topic here too? There has got to be other people here besides me who love this show, after all it's another Boublil&Schönberg masterpiece!

Hmm, I don't really know how best to open this discussion :D Oh, I can lure you into my blog! There ---> http://musicandmymind.blogspot.fi/search/label/Celebrate%20Musicals%20Week There's a trivia quiz to test your Miss Saigon knowledge, among other things... Okay enough with not-so-subtly advertising my blog. We could talk about...

- Did you see the show during its original West End run? Or have you seen any other production?
- What do you think about the new promotional poster? :) The one with the helicopters you know
- What do you think about Maybe replacing Now That I've Seen Her as Ellen's solo?
- Any thoughts about who you'd like to be cast in the new production?

I could go on and on and on about topics for discussion about Miss Saigon. But I'm going to leave for a while now and see if anyone is going to appear xD
"Un incendie peut faire une aurore sans doute, mais pourquoi ne pas attendre le lever du jour?"

Acaila

Re: Miss Saigon

Postby Acaila » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:06 pm

Saw the UK tour with Niklas Andersson and Joanna Ampil in the leads. They were awesome and had great chemistry together (which is why they're also my favourite Marius and Éponine!). I don't really think I'd like anyone in particular to be cast. The leads are really meant to be quite young, so it's probably best to get newcomers. And I can't think of who would be good for the Engineer really.
Honestly? I don't really remember Ellen's song well enough for it to matter to me too much!
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

MmeBahorel

Re: Miss Saigon

Postby MmeBahorel » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:38 pm

I was at Signature Theatre's production on Sunday night, so I've actually seen the new song.

It is terrible.

I understand what they are trying to do. There are lyrics in there to better explain Chris and Ellen's relationship - they definitely met postwar, it moved sorta fast, she was attracted to the sorrow in him. It's the execution that suffers. A lot.

Musically, it does not fit. It's like a song from an entirely different show, by entirely different composers, was stuck in where Her or Me/Now that I've Seen Her goes. There's no transition, either before or after, and it musically isn't very good, either. So it's out of place, and mediocre, and just generally poorly done.

What the show needs is another crack at Now That I've Seen Her/Her or Me because the music fits and the misplaced callback to the original song is still there (there's NOTHING left for "let me see, is it her now or me?" to refer back to, which is really unfortunate because that should be a big emotional point - at least with Now That I've Seen Her, there was the musical reference, but now that's gone).

But, if there's any luck in the world, I've seen the new Kim. Her name is Diana Huey, and she is perfect, and Cammack's people were there on Sunday (original closing night) to check her out. She is ballsy, she has a really expressive face, and she sings the hell out of the role. She had the audience from Movie in My Mind. If she doesn't get it in London, there is no justice in the world.

To compare to Lea, as best I can since I never saw Lea in this role, Diana looks far less innocent. She's not all that naive, comparatively - she knows she signed up for sex work, she's doing her best, but she hadn't expected the GIs to be such beasts. When the Engineer tells her "lower your eyelids and look sweet", it's a real order - it is absolutely not in her nature, so the Thuy thing isn't really any sort of surprise.

She is amazing, the production on the whole is amazing and would be worth appropriating large aspects, I'm so glad to have gotten to see Thom Sesma as the Engineer, and if it weren't closing when it is, I'd spend money I don't really have to see it again. And again. (The Ellen is miscast, but we knew that from the beginning - she's a local actress I see a lot of, and like, but vocally, she's a Christine. And they didn't change the octave or key for her. So that wasn't really helping Maybe, but it isn't a good song in the first place.)

I really do love this show, and I think it actually works as response to the orientalism, but this may be because I saw it the night after I saw Anna Nicole the Opera and the parallels were right there in my face. It's about how a young woman who only has crap choices deals with the choices she makes, loves her son above everything, and at least Kim's death is her assertion of agency: screw the crap choices you're trying to force on me, let me force the only reasonable outcome on you condescending white people. Anna Nicole ended up a victim and died sadly and pathetically and tragically; at least Kim managed to choose her ending. Eric and Diana get that and that is why her performance (and the whole production) is so awesome.
What kind of literature and what kind of life is the same question. - Tom Stoppard

Return to “Other Musicals”