Chess

Discussion of musicals other than Les Misérables.
Rachelle

Re: Chess

Postby Rachelle » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:34 pm

I would always consider Florence to be more of a mezzo/belter role (like Éponine) whilst Svetlana is mainly alto (like Fantine). Some vocal classifications have an alto going up to a high A so they're probably all technically alto roles.
"Cure your Cholera with boiled water and bananas"

Flynn

Postby Flynn » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:37 pm

Wikipedia classifies them both as mezzo-sopranos, but I have absolutely no clue how reliable that information is.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:00 am

First of all, there are differences on what the ranges are, as Rachelle's example demonstrates (and it's certainly not the only time I've heard of super high ranges for altos. To be honest, if I worked on mine, I'd probably be there as I've certainly reached a decent high G before when I was practicing more regularly). Then when you start including mezzo in ranges, it tends to cloud the issue further, because a lot of definitions make it only a couple of notes above alto.

Additionally, people of different vocal types can sing pieces written for different voice types. Which is why Javert for example is not classed a tenor role, but tenors have sung it, to pick out the first Les Mis example that comes to mind. So classifying roles as one particular vocal range is often no more than a guide unless it's qualified with more information.

I am *definitely* an alto, one who has not worked on her upper range in a long time, and probably a low one at that as I'm generally more comfortable singing male parts than female, and I can sing both parts in their general form comfortably, with the exception of the optional last note for Florence. So the roles are certainly comfortably within the possibilities of the alto range.
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

humanracer

Postby humanracer » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:15 pm

http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/news/ ... e-edition/

A highly successful concept album of "Chess", a musical with music by Benny Andersson and Björn Ulvaeus, formerly of ABBA, and with lyrics by Tim Rice, will get its 30th anniversary 2CD/DVD reissue treatment on November 24th 2014.
Originally released in 1984, the album yielded two worldwide smash singles, "One Night In Bangkok", with verses performed by Murray Head and choruses performed by Anders Glenmark, that reached #12 in the UK and #3 in the US, and "I Know Him So Well", a duet by Elaine Paige and Barbara Dickson which held the #1 spot on the UK singles charts for 4 weeks and won the Ivor Novello Award in the process as the Best Selling Single ('A' Side).
The album became a Top 10 hit in the UK, West Germany and South Africa, reached #47 in the US, #39 in France, #35 in Australia, and for seven weeks remained at #1 on the Swedish album chart due in no small part to the composers' Swedish heritage.

Return to “Other Musicals”