Chess

Discussion of musicals other than Les Misérables.
Acaila

Re: Chess

Postby Acaila » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:35 am

I do like it, just not as much as the others I mentioned. It's always hard for me to pick favourites in Chess, because I love the whole thing so much. I was going to try and do Nobody's Side for the karaoke thread once, but the vocalisations always just seem a bit pointless.

Fun fact: The bathroom in my apartment is Chess themed. Chessboard floor, white fixtures, black accessories, black and white tiles, a big chess piece ornament and a Chess the musical mug. Perfect for belting out any of the songs in the shower, as happens with potentially depressing regularity :D
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

Flynn

Postby Flynn » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:04 am

So, with the different versions of the show- anyone seen/heard the Sydney production? Apparently that's supposed to be quite good but it was never officially recorded and I can't find much on it, so I'm curious as to what it's like.

Also managed to find a copy of the Stockholm DVD and am absolutely loving it so far, despite not understanding a word of Swedish (damn you, lack of English subtitles!).

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:27 am

I haven't watched pa Svenska in ages but it was nice to have a well filmed version, confusing though it was. It's not exactly like a foreign version of Les Mis where it all happens the same in whatever version.
I had a script for the Australian version years ago but I don't know if it made it to my external hard drive backup. As I recall it was quite different to both US and UK main versions. A lot of it took place in a hotel foyer and I think I remember that they did strange things to the character of the Arbiter. Iirc there are a couple of clips on YouTube
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Flynn

Postby Flynn » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:50 am

Yeah, in terms of comprehension the Stockholm DVD is about 50/50 for me...Whenever they're repurposing the English songs I can somewhat follow along, but when it's new material I basically just have to rely on the actor's cues to understand what's happening. Still, the way it structures a lot of the material is interesting and in some ways inspired- though I don't know what the hell is going on with the Arbiter.

I'm trying to familiarize myself with the different versions as much as possible...got ahold of the London script a while ago, but based on how it read and what I've heard about the production it seems like it really needs to be seen to be understood properly. Now begins the process of trying to hunt down OLC boots...

Rachelle

Postby Rachelle » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:21 pm

I'm singing Svetlana's part in I Know Him So Well in a concert in November. So excited, and nervous, and excited, and AHHHH!
"Cure your Cholera with boiled water and bananas"

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:37 pm

Woohoo! Record it and let us hear? :D
I hope your accompaniment is suitably 80s like the original. That was about the one thing I was less keen on the Danish version. That song was just not meant to be so orchestral!
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Rachelle

Postby Rachelle » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:41 pm

It'll probably just be a piano accompaniment so not particularly 80s. I will try and record it if I can. Finally a proper alto song that is fully in my comfy range.
"Cure your Cholera with boiled water and bananas"

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:55 pm

Reasons Chess is the best - 2 female parts, 2 alto parts :D
I love you Benny and Bjorn for finally remembering the lower class girls! :D
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Flynn

Postby Flynn » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:13 pm

Depending on the version, though, Florence is still required to belt out a high E and Svetlana's got that series of sustained belted Cs during the London "The Deal" (reason #254 to not like the London version... >.>). But the parts aren't too dissimilar vocally to something like Fantine or Éponine, if memory serves correctly.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:03 pm

C above middle C or C above that?
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Flynn

Postby Flynn » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:16 pm

C above middle C (C...5? I'm not good with octave numbers).

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:21 pm

Lol, me either! Hence my description of that.
C above middle C isn't that bad really is it? I used to belt to E flat as a teenager (no working keyboard at the moment so I can't check).
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Flynn

Postby Flynn » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:34 pm

It's not an easy note to sing, especially for lower ranges. C is generally where the big belting notes tend to be in a lot of shows- it's the high for "I Dreamed A Dream" and "On My Own", and the high note in "Memory" is only a half-step above that (just to pick some choice 'belting' numbers).

Both Florence and Svetlana are classified as mezzo-sopranos, so they're not all that far off from the principle female roles in most other 'big' shows.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:50 pm

I love how you're basically summarising the entire repertoire of "Acaila: Live in Her Shower" :lol: Though Memory is a bit more squeaky than the other ones.

The thing is not so much where the top notes of a role are, but where the majority of the role sits. And seriously, these roles are a gift to altos for that reason.
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Flynn

Postby Flynn » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:28 pm

The thing is not so much where the top notes of a role are, but where the majority of the role sits.

Well, yes, but an awful lot of the show sits around that mid-to-high range that I think pushes it a bit. "Heaven Help My Heart" and "I Know Him So Well" stay pretty low, but the majority of "Nobody's Side", "Endgame" and "Mountain Duet" are in that higher range, and then "You And I" requires some higher soprano notes as well.

(also, wow, I forgot that Svetlana has the high E for "well I won't crawl..." in "Endgame". Her part's higher than I realized)

Return to “Other Musicals”