Wicked?

Discussion of musicals other than Les Misérables.
Rachel

Wicked?

Postby Rachel » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:12 am

Oh God, did I just open a major can of worms? Anyway, people seem to love it or hate it, so where do you fall?

As for me, I like it, though I'll admit it's overrated. Like, it's the show everyone sees if they're in New York, and in reality a lot of shows are just as good and better. But I still enjoy it.

Clearly, I have fantastic luck in the dating field.

Quotes to live by:
"This is highly illegal!" ~Inspector Javert (The Girl Nextdoor)

Rachelle

Re: Wicked?

Postby Rachelle » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:52 am

Love it, love it, love it!!
Wicked is as much a part of my teenage years as Les Mis.
I became totally obsessed with it when I was 13 and loved it ever since. I'm so glad that I got to see it twice in the west end. Yes it's true that I can now see that it's a bit over-rated but it's a really good show with fabulous music and effects.
I mean Defying Gravity- come on- how much better can it get!

(Also-I like your new signature Rach!)
"Cure your Cholera with boiled water and bananas"

Rachelle

Postby Rachelle » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:22 pm

Kerry Ellis is returning to play Elphaba in 2 weeks.
Thought people would like to know that :)
"Cure your Cholera with boiled water and bananas"

Postby 23623 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:48 am

Sorry for digging up all the old threads in this section, but can't help. I just watched Wicked live! Also...my very first attempt at bootleg hooray! Yep, I recorded a full show audio. I'm wicked. Sue me. 8)

I kinda like this musical because it has catchy music and Glinda's character development is rather interesting. However I have some problems with its plot. I'm still confused whether Elphaba really chooses to be evil in “No good deed”. I don't know what happens afterwards in its sequel but it wouldn't make sense if she was serious about it. I kinda like the whole reluctant villain/misunderstood hero thing, but, come on, if Elphie is good inside she won't choose to be wicked just because she's oppressed by (evil) authority. It's like Enjolras choosing to join Patron Minette because his revolution fails. Another thing I don't understand is why Fiyero loves Elphaba. If he sticks to his life philosophy in “Dancing through life”, he won't fall in love with her. And he's a boring chacter in general. Now for the goodness -- I really like Glinda. She's the best character in Wicked. Her transformation from a brainless girl to the Good Witch makes perfect sense and she has most complexity in her personality. I especially love how in act 2 she learns to play the game and help OZ and Elphaba cleverly. She's really more sophisticated than Elphaba when it comes to dealing with other people, enemies and friends.

And here's my not-a-review for today's show. Glinda was kinda meh in act 1 but pretty good in act 2. Her natural voice was actually beautiful, but she sounded so weird whenever she tried to put up the cute girly voice (i.e. the majority of act 1). One lovely detail in act 2 I noticed was the difference in her interactions with the public and with Elphaba. It showed that she knew well the role she had to play. She was really learning to be a “public figure” who does good deeds cleverly. Elphie's high notes were a bit problematic. Tbh she didn't do the major songs justice but her acting was quite impressive when she went Enjolratic about animals' rights. :D Both actresses were better in act 2 than act 1. I actually heard people cry during “For Good”! As for our prince charming...this Fiyero CAN'T DANCE. This was the most awkward “Dancing through life” I've ever seen. He and Elphie only kissed ONCE in “As long as you're mine” but it was totally fine since I don't ship F/E at all, lol.

Sorry I'm rambling but it's not intended to be a serious song-by-song review anyway. Btw I'm willing to share the audio if anyone's interested. :)
Revolution, but civilization

Olivia_y

Postby Olivia_y » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:49 am

I just watched this today (Apollo Victoria in London). It's one of those musicals I'd definitely recommend (especially if it's someone new to musical theatre) since it's very dynamic and a lot of fun, but while there's a few catchy songs I'm mostly 'meh' about it.

Samantha Thomas was understudying Glinda today, and Bradley Jaden is the current Fiyero, so it was kind of nice to see two familiar LM faces. For some reason I always assumed 'For Good' was near the start (I think I was under the impression it was more a story about their friendship breaking apart over time) but it was kind of nice that it was at the end.

Return to “Other Musicals”