Next to Normal

Discussion of musicals other than Les Misérables.
Rachelle

Next to Normal

Postby Rachelle » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:23 am

Here's somewhere where we can go on and on about this show without having to put spoiler warnings on every post.
"Cure your Cholera with boiled water and bananas"

Rachelle

Re: Next to Normal

Postby Rachelle » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:53 am

Well... I'll start if no one else will. Does everyone remember what point they were at when they actually "got" the plot twist? I'd watched all the songs out of sync so I had a completely different idea about the storyline. Then I saw the birthday cake sequence... and was like "what just happened there!?!?!"

Gervais

Postby Gervais » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:17 am

Yeah, the birthday scene was a biggie in me finding out, but I saw (on YT) the version that included the meltdown during the opening song and the one with the meltdown in the store (on was Broadway and one was off-broadway, I forget which was which), so those were the places in the actual musical that set off warning bells about Diana's mental health for me.

"The peas, Woyzeck. The PEAS."

Rachelle

Postby Rachelle » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:27 am

Gervais wrote:Yeah, the birthday scene was a biggie in me finding out, but I saw (on YT) the version that included the meltdown during the opening song and the one with the meltdown in the store (on was Broadway and one was off-broadway, I forget which was which), so those were the places in the actual musical that set off warning bells about Diana's mental health for me.

I knew she had really bad bipolar... I just didn't know Gabe was dead. I watched the majority of the songs without knowing this and in my head it made a lot of sense.

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:21 am

Actually the scene that really gets me is "I Am the One"---reprise. It's the one that confirms for me that he's a ghost, not a hallucination.
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

Rachelle

Postby Rachelle » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:43 am

Yeah, I like to think that as well, because for the most part he is like a manifestation of his mother's illness, but in that scene I think he's a ghost rather than a hallucination.

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:25 pm

It's either that or a bad case of folie a deux.
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

Rachelle

Postby Rachelle » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:19 am

Tumblr, the only place you can find gems like this,
http://www.buzzfeed.com/mattbellassai/t ... nts-of-all

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:28 am

Oh my gosh. :lol: :lol:

I wonder, so when does the jump from hallucination to ghost occur? Or was Gabe always just a ghost?

Rachelle

Postby Rachelle » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:40 am

Aurelia Combeferre wrote:Oh my gosh. :lol: :lol:

I wonder, so when does the jump from hallucination to ghost occur? Or was Gabe always just a ghost?

I think it's open to interpretation depending on how it's played. A lot of people think he's hallucination the whole way through but seeing him as a ghost in some parts makes hims seem a lot less malevolent.

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:34 pm

It is possible for hallucinations to change in nature after all, I think. (really should stop obsessing about psychiatry).

It troubles me though that Dan could see Gabe at the end. Which is why I am leaning towards the folie a deux theory.

Rachelle

Postby Rachelle » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:03 pm

Aurelia Combeferre wrote:It is possible for hallucinations to change in nature after all, I think. (really should stop obsessing about psychiatry).

It troubles me though that Dan could see Gabe at the end. Which is why I am leaning towards the folie a deux theory.

Sorry, what is follie a deux?

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:20 pm

A psychiatric disorder that has two people taking part in the same set of psychoses. For instance, one person may have a delusion that he/she is a knight, and the second may have the delusion that he/she is the squire. Or they may be seeing the same set of hallucinations.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:30 pm

That's how I always interpreted it. I think it's a lot less tragic if he's a ghost. Because that's the moment where we really see the effect on his dad rather than just his mum.
So sad :(
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

Rachelle

Postby Rachelle » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:39 pm

I just love this show so much. I think you are right in terms of him being a different hallucination for his mother and father. The music is just so good, I mean it takes really good music to turn what could be a really creepy song (I'm alive) and make it that epic. I can't stop listening to it and You don't know/I am the one.

Return to “Other Musicals”