What other musicals need a new movie?

Discussion of musicals other than Les Misérables.
Gigi

Re: What other musicals need a new movie?

Postby Gigi » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:58 pm

I've seen it :D Made some valid points IMO!
"Un incendie peut faire une aurore sans doute, mais pourquoi ne pas attendre le lever du jour?"

richard56

Postby richard56 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:56 am

Jekyll and Hyde is one of the best 1990s Broadway musicals and I would like to see a new movie made out of it as long as they do the casting right. I find the story really intriguing.

Majestic_Picnob

Postby Majestic_Picnob » Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:59 am

Is it weird I want to say Sunset Boulevard? I loved the score, to the point that once I saw it the first time, I bought the soundtrack the next day, and it's a very accurate adaptation of the film. I've even heard it called the last "really good" Lloyd Webber show. However, any movie made of the stage version would also be a remake of the 1950 version, which is considered a classic, so I'm concerned it might be stigmatized due to that. Thoughts?
"Oh my God! I'll never have time to strike a pose!"

Prisoner 24653

Postby Prisoner 24653 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:50 am

I agree with you, Majestic. A film based on ALW's Sunset could be fantastic! And apparently, he's been trying to get it done -- either a Hollywood film or a filmed stage production -- but Paramount has supposedly been a bit reluctant to go the Hollywood film route with ALW because of how the 2004 POTO movie turned out. But I'd love to see it done either way, as long as the production and cast are awesome. :mrgreen:

A Jekyll & Hyde film could also be great, and is apparently in the scriptwriting stage. I'm glad Frank Wildhorn is closely involved, and I hope they'll get his approval on all decisions about casting, orchestration, and script changes (unlike the Broadway revival, which I hear he was really not happy about). The transformation scenes would definitely be more effective in a film than what they've generally done in the stage versions. And while we're on the subject of Wildhorn, I'd also love to see his Dracula get the Hollywood treatment. That may be a bit tricky, though, since the show flopped on Broadway and hasn't had any major productions in the US since (though it's been performed in Europe and is now being licensed by MTI) Plus, though I generally like the new book and songlist that's been in place since the Austrian production, I kinda wish they'd go back to the Broadway orchestrations; the new ones often seem a little too "bright" to me, though I certainly don't dislike them.

A film version of Tanz der Vampire could also be awesome, as long as they avoid the recent trend in stage productions of casting young tenors as von Krolock. Don't get me wrong; there've been some decent ones, and I'd love to see Christian Müller play the role onstage sometime. But I do miss it being pretty much "the" older baritone role for Austrian/German musicals.

For musicals that *have* had prior film adaptations but that I'd like to see remade... POTO is kind of an obvious choice. This isn't as huge a priority for me now since they had a pretty awesome 25th anniversary concert. However, it would be cool to see a version that made use of the range of possibilities in film that would be impractical in a live show, but also had a cast that could handle the singing and acting requirements (and was directed by someone who had respect for the stage version and the novel, and didn't insist on everything being "sexy").
Last edited by Prisoner 24653 on Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Majestic_Picnob

Postby Majestic_Picnob » Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:07 am

Though I wonder if "Sunset" getting a movie would result in *shudder* Norma-boppers. Then again, the amount of Eppie-boppers seemed to DECREASE after the "Les Mis" movie...
"Oh my God! I'll never have time to strike a pose!"

RoseMarieIsSuzette

Postby RoseMarieIsSuzette » Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:02 pm

Dracula, Jekyll and Hyde, Notre Dame de Paris, Tanz, but without catastrophe which was 2012 Les Mis - cast famous actors and then DUB them by good singers, accompanied by full orchestra.
Gorgeous avatar by unknown. Yes, fan of 2004 POTO, while NOT fan of 2012 Les Misérables! I can mumble and cry without music too...

Prisoner 24653

Postby Prisoner 24653 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:53 pm

After hearing the clips of Meryl Streep in Into the Woods, I really want her to play Norma in a Sunset Boulevard film. Fantastic voice, and she can be properly frightening, as well. :mrgreen: Chris Pine could be a good Joe Gillis, perhaps.

CeridwenLynne
Location: At the Cafe Musain discussing politics with Enjolras.

Postby CeridwenLynne » Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:45 pm

I'd love to see a remake of 1776.
" He makes no vain sacrifice who fights for a cause. All here are ready to die so that our brothers may live as free men. Liberty... sweet liberty... come fight with those who defend you." ----Enjolras.

Vignetta

Postby Vignetta » Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:16 am

Kind of off topic, but in a perfect world CBS would get on the tv musicals thing and do a Rodgers + Hammerstein's Cinderella Live! live broadcast with Julie Andrews as the fairy godmother. /long sigh/

(I think the problem with Peter Pan Live! was that it's not a relatively well known musical like The Sound of Music, which I think a lot of people watched simply because it was the Sound of Music. Something like Mary Poppins or Annie or another Disney musical might have worked better. (Personally I'm hoping for a live My Fair Lady with Anne Hathaway and maybe even something with NPH haha.))

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:55 am

I had mentioned this to Flynn just after the Peter Pan broadcast, but it looks like we're going to run out of family friendly musicals to play every Thanksgiving pretty quickly. The Sound of Music and Peter Pan, however lesser known it might be -- personally, I grew up wearing out the VHS tape of Mary Martin -- worked well because they appealed easily to families. There's enough going on to keep the kids invested and enough leeway to put in a little more than nostalgia for the adults. Something like My Fair Lady isn't a show you can sit your younger children in front of and expect them to watch. Which leaves us exactly what you said: Annie or a Disney musical. Annie is kind of overblown at the moment thanks to the recent movie release, and it's been kind of tanking at the box office so I could see why NBC might be hesitant to do it. And I find it suuuper unlikely that they'd get the rights to any of the Disney owned properties. Disney has its own network (ABC) and you can trust that if they wanted to do one of their shows live, they'd do it on their own network and on their own dime.

Circling back to what I'd been saying to Flynn, he suggested Oliver!. Nothing says "holiday season!" to me like Nancy getting beaten to death by her husband on live television.
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Vignetta

Postby Vignetta » Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:49 am

You're right...I guess the live musical trend is going to deflate pretty quickly, since there are only so many quality kid-friendly musicals out there besides some of the Rodgers and Hammerstein ones, especially since the end of the golden age of musicals and the violent/punk/rock/tragedy musicals wave. I've heard that the next live musical is going to be the Music Man, which I know many kids at from school will watch because of our production of it last year. I wonder which middle aged Broadway legend will be cast in a secondary role?

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:31 am

There you go! Neil Patrick Harris can play Marcellus Washburn and sing Shipoopi. Done and done! ;)
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Msieur le Inspecteur

Postby Msieur le Inspecteur » Wed May 20, 2015 10:26 pm

Seeney Todd deserves a better adaptation than that thing we got in 2007.

Why would anyone ever cast Helena Bonham Carter as anything is beyond me. Catherine Tate seems like she would be a nice Mrs. Lovett.

Lord Jon Connington

Postby Lord Jon Connington » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:42 am

Oh, yes to Catherine Tate! Give me my lovely, plump ginger Lovett I'm used to, not some waifish goth who can't even put on a damn apron in the kitchen.

Elisabeth could make a good movie if they got the cast right. I'd definitely have Death as a crossdressing actress, I prefer Takarazuka Deaths over men.

Postby 23623 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:24 pm

Sorry for digging up an old thread but...HAMILTON, anyone? I become so obsessed with this musical recently. Still haven't seen it on stage because tickets are so damn hard to get. I can totally see it made into a movie because WHY NOT! I believe if they can do it with Evita then Hamilton won't be a problem. Also after a Hamilton movie comes out then definitely tomorrow there will be more of us Ham fans, so yeah! :D

And HELLO all you Elisabeth fans there! Gosh...I honestly thought I was the only one on this forum. Second the Takarazuka love! Say what you will, but my favorite der Tod is actually a Japanese girl. 8) However I really CAN'T see the possibility of an Elisa movie. It just doesn't work imo. There are too many scenes that will only make sense on stage.

I've discovered a couple of AMAZING Krolocks during recent video hunt and I feel like the happiest person in the world now. :D YES we definitely need a Tanz der Vampire movie. I know the musical itself is based on a movie (never seen it though, lol) but an adaption would be great. And 24653, completely agree with you about the tenor Krolocks. They make Totale Finsternis a total disaster...(hello, Drewlock!) Also I'm really upset about the lack of new faces on German/Austrian stage. I dislike almost all of the long-time Krolocks. Having to search for understudies and foreign productions for good ones makes my life really hard. :| One thing I have to disagree though, is that I can never picture Christian as Krolock. I've listened to him singing some songs from TdV but he's not really convincing. But who knows...I used to think STEVE BARTON would be terrible as Krolock! :wink:

*EDIT* Fixed some spelling and...
Wishful thinking: a Jekyll & Hyde movie with Anthony Warlow as J/H. I like the musical a lot, but I only listen to its album because I've never seen a satisfactory stage J/H. Probably due to Warlow's awesomeness on the album, I found both David and Robert really terrible in singing. I thought Chris Murray could do it judging from "This is the moment", but he turned out to be a huge disappointment too. :roll: Warlow really needs to play the role someday. If he did it in a movie I could finally happily go around and tell everybody "hey you know what, that guy in the J/H movie is my favorite musical theater actor because he's really amazing as [insert characters here]!!"

Also I'm still waiting for the promised Wicked movie. :D I'm not completely convinced by its plot, but it has catchy music and all the magic and fantasy stuff should be pretty cool on screen.
Revolution, but civilization

Return to “Other Musicals”