What other musicals need a new movie?

Discussion of musicals other than Les Misérables.
Rachelle

Re: What other musicals need a new movie?

Postby Rachelle » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:29 pm

Pirates of Penzance was filmed years ago. I believe Kevin Cline was in it.
"Cure your Cholera with boiled water and bananas"

The Bricklayer

Postby The Bricklayer » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:31 am

Not sure of the cast, but I have a VHS of Pirates of Penzance on my shelf.
Tomorrow will come no matter what, but it is up to you to make it better than today.

Proud Member of the Resident Combeferre Club.

Flynn

Postby Flynn » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:38 am

Yeah, there's a filmed version of the Joseph Papp production from the 80s, which was later turned into a movie (which had Kline and Angela Lansbury, among others).

I've not seen either (not huge on Pirates) but I keep meaning to see the film version- it was released on DVD for the first time a little while ago.

LaserUnicornJedi

Postby LaserUnicornJedi » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:28 am

Phantom definitely needs a new movie. The 2004 version doesn't do it for me.
Pancakes are life.

Rachelle

Postby Rachelle » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:04 pm

It's sad that once a musical gets a movie, that's it kinda off limits for a long time.
It sounds strange considering how amazing I found the Les Mis movie, that I was sad that once I saw it, stayed up to watch the oscars for it etc, I realised that there won't be the same hype for it again. It was quite upsetting.

Flynn

Postby Flynn » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:27 pm

That's true for a lot of film adaptations- once a relatively successful adaptation is made (ignoring general properties like fairy tales, cultural stories, etc.) studios kind of view it as "hands off" for a while (possibly forever- most musicals only have one adaptation, for instance) so a lot of future directors might not get their shot at it. It's really a shame.

Of course, when they do decide on a remake, everyone starts complaining about how 'unoriginal' Hollywood is and how everyone's a hack, etc. etc. It's really quite annoying.

Rachelle

Postby Rachelle » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:31 pm

It's fair enough. I mean if it were Harry Potter that they were remaking then we'd all be up in arms.
Let's not cry because it's over, let's smile because it happened. I actually remember seeing the post on yahoo.com that announced that Tom Hooper was to direct a Les Mis movie. Seems so long ago now.

Gigi

Postby Gigi » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:40 pm

I would love to see a movie adaptation of Miss Saigon. It's one of the most touching stories I know, the music is great and they could do so many great things with the big screen.
"Un incendie peut faire une aurore sans doute, mais pourquoi ne pas attendre le lever du jour?"

Rachelle

Postby Rachelle » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:45 pm

I hear they're planning a movie adaptation of Miss Saigon. It was in an interview with Cameron Mackintosh. After the success of les mis there may be a whole run of movie musicals (here's hoping).

Gigi

Postby Gigi » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:21 pm

Yep, right after I wrote that previous post I remembered there'd been some speculations about a Miss Saigon movie so I googled a bit, and they might make it :D I hope they do, and that it won't take like 20 years for it to happen.

I'm trying to think up other amazing musicals that haven't been made to movies yet, but I can't think of any. Maybe I need some sleep, it's twenty past midnight over here.
"Un incendie peut faire une aurore sans doute, mais pourquoi ne pas attendre le lever du jour?"

femtaire

Postby femtaire » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:31 pm

Notre Dame de Paris: Yes, definitely. Love that musical (with original French lyrics). And there's none even ok film adaptions of the story. Not a single one. Josh Borlin has been talking about a futute film adaption of it, maybe with Tim Burton, but he said their script is 'jazzy' so.... :? And it's not gonna be the musical one anyway. But that beautiful story needs a great movie.

And new Phantom adaption would be cool too, I can't stand 2004 version....... Emmy Rossum is okay, but I wouldn't marry neither movie-Erik nor movie-Raoul, and that's a big problem ;D Some scenes with lots of people are done great, but well...
i will follow you into the dark

Rachel

Postby Rachel » Sun May 26, 2013 7:47 am

Wicked's been talked about for a long time, but I'm slightly hesitant about it, and I'm not really sure why. My first thought was that so many songs are aimed at the audience, but that happens with Les Mis too, and actually, are just soliloquies.

There's just something inherently stage-y about it, not like RENT or Les Mis where it seems like it'd work as a movie as well. Defying Gravity just wouldn't feel the same, nor would no one mourns the Wicked. That's pretty weak reasoning, though.

Something about it just strikes me as a bad idea.

Clearly, I have fantastic luck in the dating field.

Quotes to live by:
"This is highly illegal!" ~Inspector Javert (The Girl Nextdoor)

Flynn

Postby Flynn » Sun May 26, 2013 8:23 am

Soliloquies are hard to work on film, especially if they're not directed to a character or entity (ala "Gethsemane" in Jesus Christ Superstar). It's possible, especially if the film is more stylistic, but difficult.

Rachel

Postby Rachel » Sun May 26, 2013 4:52 pm

Flynn wrote:Soliloquies are hard to work on film, especially if they're not directed to a character or entity (ala "Gethsemane" in Jesus Christ Superstar). It's possible, especially if the film is more stylistic, but difficult.

But they've been done in pretty much every musical movie before, so it's not a very good reason for them to not do it.

Clearly, I have fantastic luck in the dating field.

Quotes to live by:
"This is highly illegal!" ~Inspector Javert (The Girl Nextdoor)

MmeBahorel

Postby MmeBahorel » Sun May 26, 2013 4:54 pm

It's problem with Shakespeare adaptations, too. Olivier, for example, did some of Hamlet's soliloquies as voiceover, and it's kinda weird. Branagh did all of Iago's soliloquies as Iago confessing to the camera-as-audience, and it was kinda weird, too, but less so because it was consistent. Olivier's Hamlet occasionally broke into actual speech, so it was awkward sometimes. It takes someone with vision and a good cinematographer to make something not ridiculous happen.

It also depends on how iconic the last adaptation was. I was too young (and the internet was too young, probably) when the BBC Pride and Prejudice series came out in the 90s, so I don't know if there were complaints then about possibly surpassing the 1970s series. (the 1930s film doesn't enter into it because they weirdly re-set the thing into the 1830s, and it's not like anyone in film cared about accuracy in 1930s film anyway.) I do recall that the 1995 became so iconic that when the Joe Wright version with Kiera Knightley went into production, there was plenty of talk of "and what's the point?" even though it had been ten years since the last one, and the last one wasn't even on the big screen. I don't think anyone cared so much about two Mansfield Parks in about ten years because damn, that film had issues and it wasn't like Billie Piper in the tv version was ever going to be iconic as Fanny.

There are 3 versions of Show Boat on film (one mostly silent, with the interpolation of songs from the show in a film that was really based on the novel), with the two real musicals spaced by about 15 years. But most musical films date from later (the latest Show Boat film was 1951)and tend to be considered iconic. The American TV channel ABC tried, in the 1990s, to do some for-tv remakes, some more successful than others. But it's expensive to film since so much has to be separately recorded then lip-synced in filming, and the market wasn't huge. While i'd love a better film of The Sound of Music (personal taste: the marionettes drive me up a wall, also that opening scene MAKES NO SENSE in the lyrics since it's supposed to be dusk), Julie Andrews and Christopher Plummer are iconic; I'm not sure anyone could get out from under that.

So the Phantom question is really going to be whether it kind of fades out of consciousness (maybe with a non-musical additional adaptation helping that along) or if somehow Emmy Rossum as Christine is Yul Brynner in the King and I - inappropriate casting but iconic for loads of reasons. Unfortunately, it'll be a good twenty years before we can start to figure that out.
What kind of literature and what kind of life is the same question. - Tom Stoppard

Return to “Other Musicals”