What other musicals need a new movie?

Discussion of musicals other than Les Misérables.
SilverRose

What other musicals need a new movie?

Postby SilverRose » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:19 pm

After seeing Les Mis twice in theaters (and hoping to see it a third time sometime soon), it got me thinking: are there any other beloved musicals that need a remake?

Personally, I'm dying for a new version of Guys & Dolls. As much as I do like the movie version, it'd be lovely to have Sky and Sarah be played by actual singers. Marlon Brando and Jean Simmons tried, but... yeah. Bonus if Sarah's played by an actual soprano :p

Rose1836

Re: What other musicals need a new movie?

Postby Rose1836 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:19 am

Tanz der Vampire! :mrgreen:
Don´t get me wrong, I REALLY like the original movie, especially it´s Transylvanian sets and photography, but how about a version based on the musical?

moderntrickster

Postby moderntrickster » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:39 am

Being a Hugo fanboy, I'd really like a Notre-Dame de Paris film. All we have in the fandom is a few silent films and the Disney movie (which, while beautiful and hilarious, is... still Disney). Maybe a good Pirate Queen film? But only if Hadley Fraser is in it. :p

I got my big wish a few years back with the RENT movie, though. Now that I have that, everything else is frosting.
Suffering seems to be the inevitable fate of the creative sensitive types. Poverty, disease, death, unrequited love affairs, and disappointments of every sort fan the flame of the artistic spirit. - Henry Miller

MamzelleCombeferre

Postby MamzelleCombeferre » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:41 am

Bare: A Pop Opera would make a really good movie I think. It's kind of in the same vein as Rent, and deals with subject matter that a lot of people in the teen age group can identify with as well as touching on some more sensitive topics.

I'd love to see a movie version of Dracula (the one with Michael McCarthy), or at least a recording of the show on stage. The problem would be the music is very rich and gorgeous, but it's not very well known.

In the way of foreign musicals (foreign for me at least), I'd absolutely love it if they would make an Elisabeth film. It would have to have Serken Kaya, Mate Kamaras, and Maya Horkvoort (please don't quote me on spellings...) in it though for me to be really pleased with it.

Frankenstein (the one with Hunter Foster in it) might have some wonderfully cinematic spots in it. Spring Awakening would be a good movie for the same reasons I gave for Bare. A movie for A Little Night Music would be hilarious, and I'd love a Next to Normal movie (for reasons again see Bare explanation).

And this one people might disagree with, but Parade would make a very interesting film. It deals with a pretty tough point in history, and not a very well known one, but it's heart wrenching and gut clenching, and it's got wonderful music. My feelings would be the same towards making a legitimate film version of Stephen Sondheim's Passion. Also Ragtime.

And whoever makes a legit Sunday in the Park with George movie is my hero forever.

Sorry for the ramble. :oops: Musical theatre talk just sets me off and I could talk for hours.
KITTENS AND UNICORNS AND RAINBOWS OH MY! *Sparkles*

moderntrickster

Postby moderntrickster » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:30 am

Spring Awakening would be a GREAT musical movie, but my only fear with that is that they might dial it back, or cast all the adults with different actors instead of the same ones (which is symbolic in that the adults are supposed to be something of a impersonal THEM against the kids) in order to sell it to Hollywood.
Suffering seems to be the inevitable fate of the creative sensitive types. Poverty, disease, death, unrequited love affairs, and disappointments of every sort fan the flame of the artistic spirit. - Henry Miller

Rose1836

Postby Rose1836 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:51 am

moderntrickster wrote:Being a Hugo fanboy, I'd really like a Notre-Dame de Paris film. All we have in the fandom is a few silent films and the Disney movie (which, while beautiful and hilarious, is... still Disney). Maybe a good Pirate Queen film? But only if Hadley Fraser is in it. :p

I got my big wish a few years back with the RENT movie, though. Now that I have that, everything else is frosting.

Oh yes, NDDP by Plamondon and Cocciante as a musical! (I am one of the few who think Disney film is so overrated!)
And ditto to musical-Dracula!

Trompe-la-Mort

Postby Trompe-la-Mort » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:03 am

I'd be in favour of a GOOD Jesus Christ Superstar movie...
Dark sarcasm ought to be taught at schools!

Flynn

Postby Flynn » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:24 pm

Trompe-la-Mort wrote:I'd be in favour of a GOOD Jesus Christ Superstar movie...

The '73 version is excellent.

For me, a lot of Sondheim shows could do with film adaptations. I know Follies and Into the Woods are on their ways, and Company and Anyone Can Whistle especially would translate wonderfully to film. A Little Night Music would be nice as well, but it would need a lot of work to be effective as film (it'd be very hard not to do it without being horribly plodding like the '77 film).

Lamarque-is-Dead

Postby Lamarque-is-Dead » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:17 pm

I really want a Next to Normal movie before Aaron Tveit is too old to play Gabe. I know he's 29 now, but he could probably still pass for 18.
Mistress of Dubious Compliments (thanks, Acaila!)
Valjean is my homeboy :D

Rachelle

Postby Rachelle » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:05 pm

Lamarque-is-Dead wrote:I really want a Next to Normal movie before Aaron Tveit is too old to play Gabe. I know he's 29 now, but he could probably still pass for 18.

YES!!
"Cure your Cholera with boiled water and bananas"

Convict24603

Postby Convict24603 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:50 pm

we definitely need more movies of the Gilbert and Sullivan Operettas

Mikado
The Yeomen of the Guard
Pirates of Penzance
HMS Pinafore
Iolanthe
Princess Ida
The Grand Duke
Ruddigore
The Sorcerer

All we have at the moment that's closest is the movie "Topsy Turvy" which in itself is amazing, but it would be nice to have movies of these!

As for musicals well I don't know about anyone else, but I think a musical that is long overdue a film is We Will Rock You!

AND I'M JAVERT! Do Not Forget My Name!

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:56 pm

I have never actually seen a Gilbert and Sullivan :oops:
I'd like to, just never had the opportunity.

Also, I unironically love We Will Rock You. It'd probably make a good film actually!
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

macaron

Postby macaron » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:32 pm

Hey, I unironically love We Will Rock You, too! It's popcorn, but it's tasty popcorn. And I agree, I think it'd make a good film - they could do a lot with the Heartbreak Hotel and the Seven Seas of Rhye, and as for the music, who doesn't love Queen?!

Flynn

Postby Flynn » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:23 pm

Acaila wrote:I have never actually seen a Gilbert and Sullivan :oops:
I'd like to, just never had the opportunity.

Check out the Brent-Walker video productions of The Mikado and Ruddigore. Neither of the recordings are particularly popular and both have some major flaws, but I like them well enough and they do an excellent job of introducing someone to the shows and to G&S as a whole.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:20 pm

Thanks for the tip! :) I think all I've seen is that filmed version of Modern Major General that floats around, when I was comparing with the Mass Effect version, and the bit of Trial by Jury with Anthony Warlow that Geronimo showed me :D
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

Return to “Other Musicals”