What other musicals need a new movie?

Discussion of musicals other than Les Misérables.
Gigi

Re: What other musicals need a new movie?

Postby Gigi » Sun May 26, 2013 7:30 pm

What do you think about the possible Oliver! movie remake? I haven't seen the older movie version, was it from '68? I wonder what they'd want to do differently with the remake.
"Un incendie peut faire une aurore sans doute, mais pourquoi ne pas attendre le lever du jour?"

Rachel

Postby Rachel » Sun May 26, 2013 7:52 pm

Gigi wrote:What do you think about the possible Oliver! movie remake? I haven't seen the older movie version, was it from '68? I wonder what they'd want to do differently with the remake.

Honestly, the old one is so great that I'm not sure how they could improve it. I have next to no gripes with the old one, so I don't think we really need a new one.

Clearly, I have fantastic luck in the dating field.

Quotes to live by:
"This is highly illegal!" ~Inspector Javert (The Girl Nextdoor)

Ulkis

Postby Ulkis » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:27 pm

Rachel wrote:Wicked's been talked about for a long time, but I'm slightly hesitant about it, and I'm not really sure why. My first thought was that so many songs are aimed at the audience, but that happens with Les Mis too, and actually, are just soliloquies.

There's just something inherently stage-y about it, not like RENT or Les Mis where it seems like it'd work as a movie as well. Defying Gravity just wouldn't feel the same, nor would no one mourns the Wicked. That's pretty weak reasoning, though.

Something about it just strikes me as a bad idea.

I agree with you. I think maybe someone could make a good film of it, but the show's big moment - Elphaba flying up on the stage - while thrilling on stage, would not be a big deal in the film. It's a big deal for a performer to fly on stage, not so much in the movies.

Ulkis

Postby Ulkis » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:31 pm

While i'd love a better film of The Sound of Music (personal taste: the marionettes drive me up a wall, also that opening scene MAKES NO SENSE in the lyrics since it's supposed to be dusk), Julie Andrews and Christopher Plummer are iconic; I'm not sure anyone could get out from under that.

That's how I feel about West Side Story. I kinda wish they had done it in black-and-white back then; I think it would have fit the atmosphere better. But besides that, I'd still love a remake. Have the performers are so uncharismatic and wooden and it's so . . . colorful and cloying. I don't think it should be super dark or anything, but I do wish it were a little more gritty.

Gervais

Postby Gervais » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:34 pm

I agree with you on Wicked, mostly, except that there was a homemade-concept animated version of Defying Gravity that was making the rounds on tumblr that actually turned out fairly well. It was just a storyboard, but a rather detailed one; I'll post the link if I can find it. Personally, I think it could work better animated than with people, but a filmed version of the show (like the old Sweeney Todd) would probably be the best.

And if they remake West Side Story, all I hope is that they cast actors who can actually sing and don't have to be dubbed (Or autotuned).

"The peas, Woyzeck. The PEAS."

Heidi80

Postby Heidi80 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:06 pm

A non cleaned up version of Rent

Gigi

Postby Gigi » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:01 pm

Okay, this one is never going to happen, but... WHAT IF there was a new film version of Grease which stayed true to the original stage production, where other characters got solos besides Sandy & Danny, and their love story wasn't the only content of the story? It's scary how Grease is one of the "best-known" musicals but so many people think You're The One That I Want and Hopelessly Devoted To You were always in the show whereas they have no idea about Mooning or the fact that Kenickie actually sings Greased Lightning.
Well yeah, a new Grease movie is never going to happen because the one we have now is such a mega hit.
"Un incendie peut faire une aurore sans doute, mais pourquoi ne pas attendre le lever du jour?"

Rachel

Postby Rachel » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:22 pm

The current Grease is iconic, though. So, if someone was like, "you know what seems like a good idea? New Harry Potter movies!" everyone would be like, "woah, woah, woah, hold up. No. We are not doing that," because they're so ingrained in our culture that if someone even mentions magic someone references Harry Potter (see: Doctor Who).

(Though, it's not like they've never taken something iconic and readapted it. And ruined it. *cough* 99% of the A Christmas Carols since the original, which is just perfection *cough*)

And honestly, I like the movie version of RENT. Besides a couple of issues, it's good and it's faithful to the stage show. I mean, sure, it's not perfect, but it feels like the best adaption we could've hoped to get.

Of course, this isn't coming from a RENThead, just someone who's seen the show a couple of times and has seen the movie.

Quotes to live by:

Flynn

Postby Flynn » Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:23 am

Rachel wrote:The current Grease is iconic, though.

It's also crap. :wink:

Seriously, though, the film, apart from a couple sequences and some of the cast, is not very good and largely responsible for warping a half-decent show into an irredeemable nostalgiafest (mostly because of that untalented hack Allan Carr).

Rachel

Postby Rachel » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:59 pm

Oh, God, it's terrible, and my mother is considering evicting me because I hate it. But it *is* iconic, and making a new one isn't going to work, at least in terms of actually selling it.

Quotes to live by:

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:46 pm

Is the stage show really that much better though?
I'm emphatically Not a Fan of either, but the songs added for the movie are catchy and it at least has the benefit of Stockard Channing, who is utterly fabulous in anything, regardless of age appropriateness.
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

MmeBahorel

Postby MmeBahorel » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:17 pm

I tried: Interrogating Grease from the wrong perspective.

The stage show exists in the shadow of the movie, just like a lot of the iconic classic musicals, and it takes a director who cares about trying to get out from under that shadow, at the possible expense of ticket sales, to see if there's really anything there. Except the book needs work if it's going to be anything other that cuted-up nostalgia because the serious, non-cute issues, deserve a bit more exploration than they are currently given, and that's not something just a director can fix.

So to answer your question, Acaila, no.
What kind of literature and what kind of life is the same question. - Tom Stoppard

Flynn

Postby Flynn » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:53 pm

I've heard the original original show is actually a lot darker and deeper than it ended up being, but I don't know if there's any truth to it.

There are seeds to a good show there, though, and I think a few twists here and there (like not having the Rizzo subplot be utterly pointless) could make it into something actually worthwhile. The second act is absolutely awful, though (and short), and needs to be heavily re-worked for the show to actually work (especially the ending song, which has never been satisfactory).

MmeBahorel

Postby MmeBahorel » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:35 am

I think that's the case - the creator is really trying to justify that the show isn't crap, that it was trying to say something, but I'm not sure any version had a strong development of the Rizzo subplot.

A brief interview with Jim Jacobs for the Washington Post when the last tour was in town: Grease is still the word (even if it's cleaned up). This is the context behind which I was overanalysing the production.
What kind of literature and what kind of life is the same question. - Tom Stoppard

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:58 am

Heh, I love the depth you go into over something so utterly banal! (to be fair, says she who once turned in an assignment that concluded pantomime was theatre specifically designed to oppress the working classes into submissive capitalist drones). But that stuff about Taylor Hicks.....crikey :shock:

Have you seen the Nostalgia Chick review of the movie by any chance?
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

Return to “Other Musicals”