The Phantom of the Opera

Discussion of musicals other than Les Misérables.
MmeBahorel

Re: The Phantom of the Opera

Postby MmeBahorel » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:17 am

Ok, that's bad. Thank you, the shitty costume has saved me a bunch of money that is better spent seeing Josh Young in Evita if I'm going to go to Philly for anything next year. (I don't even like Evita, but the music is excellent and I love Josh and I know he'd like me to come, so it's reasonably worth it.)
What kind of literature and what kind of life is the same question. - Tom Stoppard

Prisoner 24653

Postby Prisoner 24653 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:15 am

I saw one article where CamMac said they'd redo the chandelier and some of the other "problem spots" that got a lot of criticism when this production was in the UK, so hopefully that'll include the Red Death (or lack thereof). I'd also really appreciate it if they fixed the first unmasking scene -- as it is, the Phantom was composing his music, sans mask, and Christine just walked over to him and saw the deformed side, and so he freaked out. Yeah, that seriously loses something there if she's not literally taking his mask off.

That said, the set/costume/blocking changes aren't really a dealbreaker for me if the cast is awesome. I loved the anniversary concert they did in Vienna last year even though there were no sets or costumes -- everyone just wore evening clothes, and the Phantom didn't wear a mask at any point. (Neither did the Masqueraders.) But the cast was pretty much perfect, so I loved the production anyway. Though I admit I didn't get to see it live... :mrgreen:

Majestic_Picnob

Postby Majestic_Picnob » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:11 am

Finally finished the book. Really good. I still think the musical is a pretty accurate adaptation, but the the inclusion of the Persian makes the climax pretty different, what with him doing nearly all of the legwork and all. And man, that final scene was sad.

Interestingly, we only see Erik in the flesh in the last two chapters. I noticed this seems to be because the viewpoint character was changed from Raoul, and later the Persian, in the book to Christine in the musical. Obviously Christine sees Erik all the time, so the audience of the musical does too, but Raoul, not so much.
"Oh my God! I'll never have time to strike a pose!"

Prisoner 24653

Postby Prisoner 24653 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:42 am

It seems like Russia's finally getting a production of the musical! Some Russian theatre stars recorded demo versions of a few of the main songs a few years ago, but oddly, there was never an actual production until now. Looking forward to hearing more!

Majestic_Picnob

Postby Majestic_Picnob » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:36 am

Say, random question, but does anyone know where Lloyd Weber got "Passarino" from? I get the impression Don Juan Triumphant is basically "Don Giovanni, except Don Giovanni wins" (effectively making it 19th-centure Draco In Leather Pants fanfiction, which I think fits Erik quite well), but the Don's stooge in that opera was named "Leoporello." Is "Passarino" his name in another version of the legend, or did Lloyd Webber make it up?
"Oh my God! I'll never have time to strike a pose!"

Gervais

Postby Gervais » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:55 pm

I think Passarino is the name of the servant in some of the Don Juan plays; at least, according to this. Unless I'm misreading that, which is totally possible right now.

"The peas, Woyzeck. The PEAS."

Prisoner 24653

Postby Prisoner 24653 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:44 pm

Having heard some audios of the new US Tour… I'm liking them! Mark Campbell is a nicely intense Phantom with quite a good voice -- reminds me a bit of a young Brad Little. Julia Udine (principal Christine) has a darker and heavier voice than I tend to prefer for Christine, but her acting is excellent, and Grace Morgan (alternate Christine) is vocally more to my taste. And Ben Jacoby (Raoul, and son of longtime Phantom Mark Jacoby) reminds me a bit of Tim Martin Gleason. Since none of them had really performed in major productions of shows before, I was worried that they might sound weak or lacking in technique and power, but that's certainly not the case at all (though there was one audio where it sounded like Mark Campbell was sick and had to hold back on some of the big notes… but that's happened to Brad Little and Anthony Warlow at times as well, so hey.) In any case, if I ever get a chance to see this live, I'll certainly try to go for it. Some of the set, costume, and blocking changes probably won't be to my liking, but I'd really be interested in seeing this cast.

I also heard bits from the new revival in Hamburg, which I wasn't nearly as impressed by. I was never fond of Mathias Edenborn, and he really doesn't work for me as the Phantom. Valerie Link, who I liked as Cosette in Berlin, is unfortunately rather ho-hum for me as Christine. I've heard from some fans that the understudy Phantom Rob Pitcher (brother of longtime Broadway and US Tour Christine Rebecca Pitcher) is much better and gives a darker portrayal. It really disappoints me, though, that Hamburg (which put on one of the best POTO productions back in the day) didn't go for classical/operatic voices for the title role this time. Still waiting for Chris Murray to get to play the role someday.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:49 pm

Yeah, there seems to be a lot of negative feeling towards Edenborn. I haven't heard him myself, but Phans that I have seen comment on it do not seem happy.

I fully support Chris Murray playing Phantom :D He's played what seems to be all of the other big megamusical male leads!
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

Gervais

Postby Gervais » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:18 am

I haven't heard Udine yet, but seeing as I've recently fallen for Elisabeth Berg's voice, "darker and heavier" seems like a pretty good deal to me personally. *shrug* Sounds like it's pretty good, though. :D Though I wish they hadn't used the UK tour Red Death costume, which it looks like they're doing from what promo stuff I've seen (though that's mostly recycled from the UK tour I think, but I don't think they would've shown the UK Red Death if they weren't using it), but hey, it's Phantom and it's on tour again.

"The peas, Woyzeck. The PEAS."

Prisoner 24653

Postby Prisoner 24653 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:04 am

A surprising development came about today -- according to a BroadwayWorld article, principal Phantom Mark Campbell is leaving the US Tour for personal reasons. I just heard an audio of Cooper Grodin, who will be the new Phantom starting tonight, when he understudied for Mark, and he sounds quite good as well.

@Gervais: I love Elisabeth Berg's Christine, as well! I think my issue with Julia is that she sounds more like a spinto or possibly even a mezzo-soprano rather than a coloratura or lyric soprano like they usually tend to go for when they want real operatic Christines (as opposed to the pop singers they've been casting far too often, but that's a rant for another day). I think it tends to work in some songs/scenes, like "Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again." Not so much for "Think of Me," though. But in any case, it's kinda nice to hear a different take.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:17 am

Wow, that's awfully sudden! :? Glad the new guy is well thought of at least.
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Prisoner 24653

Postby Prisoner 24653 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:28 pm

I have a question that perhaps someone here can help me with, since I know we have a fair few French speakers/scholars on the forums. (Now I'm wondering why I didn't think to ask here sooner! :lol: )

There are 3 French versions of the title song from POTO that I'm aware of. Two are from the French dubs of the 2004 movie -- there were two versions made with completely different lyric translations, both with Laurent Bàn voicing the Phantom and Cécilia Cara voicing Christine, but different actors playing the other roles, and one version was released internationally while the other was released only in France. The third version of the song was recorded by Robert Marien and Bridgette Marchand and included on Marien's CD "Broadway - Montréal" (along with a French version of "Music of the Night," also a different translation from the two movie dubs).

Here's the one from the French dub of the movie - internationally released version.
Here's the French dub released only in France (synced to clips from Disney's Hunchback of Notre Dame which look better than Schumacher's visuals, at least . . .)
And here's the version by Robert Marien and Bridgette Marchand.

I was wondering what the differences were between the three versions, and which one people liked most. Full or rough translations would be nice to have, but if that's not possible or would take too long, I'm okay without them. Thanks, all! :)

Prisoner 24653

Postby Prisoner 24653 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:23 am

Heh, so. Major casting announcement for the Broadway production yesterday -- Norm Lewis will be the next Broadway Phantom. He'll be the first black actor to play the role on Broadway, and only the third worldwide in the show's history -- the other two were Robert Guillaume (who stepped in after Michael Crawford left the Los Angeles production in 1990) and Nicholas Nkuna (who understudied the part in South Africa in 2011). Also, Sierra Boggess is returning as Christine... Some are calling it a Little Mermaid reunion.

I am so ridiculously excited right now. I'm actually seriously considering making a trip to New York. For a Phantom cast! That's never happened! *sputters* :lol:

And hey, I could catch Les Mis while I'm there, as well! That would be fun.

Meanwhile, I'm really not liking what I'm hearing about the new POTO touring production. I was willing to give it a shot (and was quite looking forward to it at first), but after reading some of the Phan reviews... :?

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:24 pm

Yeah, I'm seeing a lot of people alluding to mass Phan satisfaction with it. Which means I'm mostly revelling in snarking about Connor at every opportunity, but yeah. Not sounding very positive!
Abaisse Chief/Chef

MmeBahorel

Postby MmeBahorel » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:29 pm

Considering I found Norm's Javert a little too cuddly (but sung so gorgeous), I'm not as gung ho on this casting as a lot of people. I have audio of his Sweeney Todd and it has the same problem - his stage presence is too warm, because he can't hide that he's one of the nicest guys in the world. So the songs will definitely be gorgeous, but I cannot imagine him coming across as properly dangerously unhinged. I wish him good luck and hope that I'm wrong. The excitement, and getting a new Phantom in, should be good for the show overall - bring some of the energy back I've heard has been flagging. The production hasn't been getting new blood as often as needed, especially in the title role, so regardless of how Norm's performance on the whole goes, the casting is a positive for the company.

But yay for Little Mermaid reunion. Phantom: now with double the daddy issues! :)
What kind of literature and what kind of life is the same question. - Tom Stoppard

Return to “Other Musicals”