The Phantom of the Opera

Discussion of musicals other than Les Misérables.
Vignetta

Re: The Phantom of the Opera

Postby Vignetta » Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:38 am

I've been hearing a lot about ABC Phantom on tumblr, and so far what I've gathered is:
1. It's going to be based on the novel, and it won't be a musical (though there will be music).
2. It hasn't been greenlighted yet, they are currently writing the pilot.
3. It's set in the "sexy cutthroat world of the modern-day music business." :shock:

Here's hoping that they don't sex it up too much and/or ruin sweet precious socially awkward hamster baby Raoul (though they prob will...)

Also, Aaron Taylor Johnson for Raoul.

Majestic_Picnob

Postby Majestic_Picnob » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:14 am

Vignetta wrote:3. It's set in the "sexy cutthroat world of the modern-day music business." :shock:

So, Phantom of the Paradise with more sex, then?

On a completely different note, anyone else not like it when fan-works and even some adaptations claim Carlotta can't sing? I mean, maybe she's not as good as Christine, but she's still a lead soprano of a world-class opera company, so she's bound to be pretty skilled, I'd imagine. I know there are a couple movie versions where she's dating one of the managers, implying she "slept her way to the top," but I find that kind of uncomfortable and slut-shame-y, to tell you the truth...
"Oh my God! I'll never have time to strike a pose!"

Prisoner 24653

Postby Prisoner 24653 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:46 pm

Vignetta wrote:I've been hearing a lot about ABC Phantom on tumblr, and so far what I've gathered is:
1. It's going to be based on the novel, and it won't be a musical (though there will be music).
2. It hasn't been greenlighted yet, they are currently writing the pilot.
3. It's set in the "sexy cutthroat world of the modern-day music business." :shock:

Here's hoping that they don't sex it up too much and/or ruin sweet precious socially awkward hamster baby Raoul (though they prob will...)

Also, Aaron Taylor Johnson for Raoul.

Yeah, I'm hoping it's not sexed up too much, and they don't wreck the characters by turning Raoul into a jerk or Erik into simply a poor, sweet, misunderstood guy who gets unfairly blamed for things other people did.

And yeah, Aaron Taylor Johnson would be a great Raoul. I'd prefer it if he played the role in a Leroux-faithful version set in the late 19th century (thinking his look in the 2012 Anna Karenina would be just about perfect), but I'd be cool with them casting him in this version. As long as, y'know, it's done well and doesn't ruin his character. :lol: Funny thing is, I always wanted to see a young Cary Elwes as Raoul, but that's not likely to happen now. I still demand to see Ewan McGregor as Philippe, though.

Majestic_Picnob wrote:On a completely different note, anyone else not like it when fan-works and even some adaptations claim Carlotta can't sing? I mean, maybe she's not as good as Christine, but she's still a lead soprano of a world-class opera company, so she's bound to be pretty skilled, I'd imagine. I know there are a couple movie versions where she's dating one of the managers, implying she "slept her way to the top," but I find that kind of uncomfortable and slut-shame-y, to tell you the truth...

I agree. It bugged me that the 2004 movie kept heavily implying that Carlotta was a terrible singer, even going so far as to show stagehands plugging their ears with cotton whenever she started singing, when she (or at least Margaret Preece, who dubbed her voice) was one of the few in the main cast who could really handle the score vocally. I'm not a fan of productions that constantly seem to cast pop singer Christines, especially if (as was the case with Emmy Rossum) they lack the necessary range for the role.

There've been some interpretations that seem to portray Carlotta as a singer who *was* amazing, but is now past her prime and pretty much skating by just on her fame from before. But, as with most things in this story, I tend to prefer Leroux's depiction -- that she was technically excellent but had no soul to her singing. There've been a few stage casts that were able to portray that quite well. And also some where Carlotta really was amazing and I wanted to hear her sing more of the score. :mrgreen:

Majestic_Picnob

Postby Majestic_Picnob » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:21 pm

Another interesting detail I noticed about the musical: we see the company put on three shows, all of which seem to have Piangi as the leading man. Does this company do any shows with a baritone lead, I wonder?

Prisoner 24653

Postby Prisoner 24653 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:42 pm

In the stage version, the second opera "Il Muto" has a bass lead playing Don Attilio, the count whose wife is being unfaithful. For some reason, they made that character a tenor played by Piangi in the movie version. They raised his vocal part and, most disappointingly in my view, got rid of the epically long low F he sings in the stage show (which has earned the character his own round of applause in some productions). Thankfully, he's a bass (and has the epic low note, though not as long as some actors have done it) in the 25th anniversary concert.

Majestic_Picnob

Postby Majestic_Picnob » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:35 am

Wow, I forgot that! Sucks that they cut the bass part from the film, it sounds pretty entertaining for a minor role.

Majestic_Picnob

Postby Majestic_Picnob » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:09 am

Do we know what Christine's role in Don Juan Triumphant was? From what I can gather of the plot of the show-within-a-show, it seems to be a rewrite of Mozart's Don Giovanni where the title character wins (a concept I find absolutely hilarious, by the way, since it's pretty much nineteenth-century "Draco In Leather Pants" fanfiction, which would be totally in-character for Erik to write), so she's presumably one of the women seduced by the titular Don, but there were several of those; which one is Christine, you think?

Prisoner 24653

Postby Prisoner 24653 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:56 am

The libretto for the musical has Christine playing Aminta. And yeah, I found the fact that the ALW!Phantom's "Don Juan" is basically a (literal) self-insert DILP fanfic to be quite hilarious, as well. Once I discovered fanfiction shortly after becoming a Phan, anyway. (And naturally, so many people have written their own POTO fanfics in which Erik is triumphant, so hey. The saga continues! :lol: )

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:33 pm

To be fair, POTO is basically ALW writing self-insert fanfic ;)
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

Majestic_Picnob

Postby Majestic_Picnob » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:49 pm

Acaila wrote:To be fair, POTO is basically ALW writing self-insert fanfic ;)

Homely musical genius bags ridiculously hot singing prodigy. Does that sentence describe Erik and Christine, or Andrew Lloyd Webber and Sarah Brightman?

Relatedly, there's been speculation LND is basically Man I wish I was still married to Sarah Brightman: The Musical.

Prisoner 24653

Postby Prisoner 24653 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:10 am

Hehe, very true. And yeah, I think most who had a skeptical view of LND (including myself), and perhaps even some of its fans, noticed that about the show. It's not quite as bad as, say, Robin Thicke's uncomfortably overt album dedicated to his ex Paula Patton, but it still kinda feels like something in that vein. And given how affectionate ALW seemed to be going out of his way to be when onstage with Sarah Brightman at the POTO 25th, it makes one wonder. :?

Majestic_Picnob

Postby Majestic_Picnob » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:38 am

Y'know, thinking about it, the Don Giovanni parallels are another reason I think LND doesn't work. Despite his name being in the title, Giovanni is clearly the villain of Mozart's opera (and the play that inspired it, and the legend that inspired THAT), and we're clearly supposed to cheer when he gets his at the end. The fact that Erik doesn't get this is supposed to show how messed up his views on relationships are, and the fact that he repents and gives up his love for her sake is supposed to show that he's better than Giovanni. Then along comes LND, which implies that Erik was right all along. So... Don Juan should triumph? What kind of message is that!?

Prisoner 24653

Postby Prisoner 24653 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:29 pm

A bit of Broadway news -- After Norm Lewis's final performance as the Phantom on February 7th, James Barbour will be taking over the role. I'm a bit conflicted; I like Barbour's voice a lot when he doesn't glottal too much, and liked him in all the stage casts I've heard/seen recordings of him in. Didn't really care for him on Frank Wildhorn's Dracula studio album, though, because he sounded too American there (and thanks to fan videos on YouTube being my first exposure to those tracks, I always picture Gerard Butler from Dracula 2000 when I hear Barbour in the role... Doesn't help much. :lol: ).

More than that, though, learning of the criminal accusation/conviction a few years ago has made it feel awkward for me to listen to him in anything since then. Details about that are on the "Personal Life" section of his Wikipedia page, for those who wish to know.

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:37 pm

I'm with you on the Barbour thing. I was a fan back in 2000 or so when he was in Jane Eyre with Buntrock, and it wasn't until 2006 that the conviction and indictment took place, so it's always been difficult to separate "James Barbour: Broadway Star" from "James Barbour: Convicted Criminal." And to top it off, thanks to the Secret Garden tour he did with my aunt and uncle, he's something of a family friend. I'm excited to see what he does with the role and to hear him sing the songs straight. He has such a lovely, deep timbre that I think will really suit the Phantom.

As for the controversy -- you either have to believe that when someone serves the allotted punishment for the crime they have committed, they deserve a second chance at life or you can go to arms and fight to change the justice system. Obviously, they're casting for talent. Since he's served his time, there is no legal reason why he cannot be hired and as such it's not something that necessarily has to be considered.

Though the whole thing is going to take a serious hit thanks to the PR flak. You would think the Phantom team would have come up with something better to cover their asses than just deleting all the comments that make reference to his past misdemeanors.
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Vignetta

Postby Vignetta » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:44 pm

Wow, James Barbour was the Jean Valjean in a regional production of Les Mis that I saw last year! I thought he sounded like he was imitating Colm Wilkinson, but it was probably just for the role...? I haven't really any other recordings with him. And yeah, his "personal life" is...awkward and I was really surprised when I found out he was going to be the Phantom on Broadway.

Return to “Other Musicals”