The Phantom of the Opera

Discussion of musicals other than Les Misérables.
Prisoner 24653

Re: The Phantom of the Opera

Postby Prisoner 24653 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:18 pm

Very true, Havs; I wouldn't be a very good LM fan if I didn't believe in redemption.

I had heard that Barbour played Valjean, and have a hard time imagining it. Did they have to put any of his songs in a lower key, or was he able to do the show straight through without needing any changes? I'm rather curious, so any details (or clips) would be great. :D

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:40 pm

I have video and audio of the production, if you're interested! I've only watched bits and pieces of it thus far so I didn't take much notice of whether they transposed anything for his voice, though it's something I'll have to listen for. I think he'd be well suited vocally to play Javert.
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:28 pm

Prisoner 24653 wrote:Very true, Havs; I wouldn't be a very good LM fan if I didn't believe in redemption.

That's a really good point actually.

Clearly Havvy needs to arrange to stream this video for us ;) :D
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:36 am

Shoobidyshoo, free to it anytime after the 16th. Because I will be UNEMPLOYED!

Or, as I prefer to call it "on hiatus."

Let me know when you want to watch it.
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:00 pm

Think I am free this Saturday. :)
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Prisoner 24653

Postby Prisoner 24653 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:13 am

The official POTO Facebook page made a statement, which was mentioned on BroadwayWorld. Phans are still divided on the issue, it seems.

And aye, Saturday sounds good for me! What time are you shooting for? (Ideally I'd prefer it after 7 AM, Hawaii time -- so noon or later on the east coast, but if that's not possible, I'll try to jump in when I can.) Saw his "Bring Him Home" on YouTube, and it seems that was in the regular key, at least. :)

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:58 pm

I'm glad they've made a statement. It's one of those things where normally you shouldn't have to, because he's not a registered sex offender it's not a legal necessity to explain what happened and falls into the category of "private lives, private business." But the backlash has been so intense, that this was really necessary. I wonder how many people have jumped sides now.

I'll have to let you know. I have to return my production vehicle in the morning, so maybe say 3 or 4 EST so as not to bung up Acaila's five-hours-ahead-ness?

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:46 pm

Sounds good to me :) I can't do an allnighter as I'm lunching with a friend I haven't seen in ages tomorrow, but 8ish GMT leaves us plenty of time :)
Abaisse Chief/Chef

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:20 pm

4:30 EST, be there or don't because if no one shows, I'm gonna nap.

http://www.livestream.com/havvylivestreamsthings

TheRandomPhangirl

Postby TheRandomPhangirl » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:04 pm

This probably isn't breaking news, but Earl Carpenter will be returning to the role of the phantom in London for a bit.
And I was so close to being able to see him. Boo
I'm the one to shout "Down with Polignac!"

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:26 pm

Had heard this, and am pleased because Carpy is a good Phantom. Why is he doing it though? I know that it's been understudy madness there, but not quite sure why
Abaisse Chief/Chef

TheRandomPhangirl

Postby TheRandomPhangirl » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:21 pm

Having listened to an audio from his comeback run...I am fairly disappointed. His voice sounds thin and icky. Like in the Berlin video, actually.

Prisoner 24653

Postby Prisoner 24653 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:27 pm

It seems Earl's been sick recently, so that may account for his vocal issues. I hope that's all it is and that he recovers soon... It'd be a shame if he fell into the trap of picking up bad habits that permanently wrecked his voice like a few others who've played the role. (Oh, Brad...)

I heard audios of James Barbour, and was rather unimpressed. He has "the voice," but doesn't really do much with it, and comes across as rather boring in the role because of that. Not really keen on Chris Mann, the current principal in the US Tour, either; he has a tendency to sing from the back of his throat and use really over-the-top vibrato, much like Masayuki Sano (my least favorite Japanese Phantom). Mann has also apparently inherited Cooper Grodin's tendency for really uncomfortable subtext in the final lair scene, judging by reviews from folks who've seen him in the role.

Ah well... at least London still has Gerónimo Rauch and Scott Davies.

Prisoner 24653

Postby Prisoner 24653 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:15 am

Looks like Gerónimo is leaving the London cast in September, along with Oliver Savile (Raoul). No announcement about who'll be replacing them yet, but we shall see.

TheRandomPhangirl

Postby TheRandomPhangirl » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:21 pm

The new Phantom is none other than John Owen Jones! Though he's leaving in February and is being replaced by the guy who won Superstar...blechh.
Harriet Jones' replacement is Celinde Schoenmaker, which I didn't see coming at all.
New Raoul is Nadim Naaman!
And Ashley Stillburn (who just finished in Mis as Feuilly) is also joining the cast, though I don't know as who yet.

Return to “Other Musicals”