Soft spots for short-running or unliked musicals?

Discussion of musicals other than Les Misérables.
Rachelle

Re: Soft spots for short-running or unliked musicals?

Postby Rachelle » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:08 pm

You know me too well Acaila :)
No, I actually do like quite a few of the songs and their ability to bring in hints of Irish music. I think it has a strong enough storyline to work without being too riverdancy.
What's Zanna, Don't?
"Cure your Cholera with boiled water and bananas"

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:33 pm

Oh my goodness, you need to be introduced :D
So, it's one of those amusing fluffy little musicals set at a high school with people hooking up and sports stars and nerds and the new kid and whatnot where things that are outside the norm are a case for concern, because hey that's high school and America, huh?
Difference being, it's in a sort of alternate universe. Specifically, where homosexuality is the norm, and your average mid-western school is more than a little heterophobic. The chess club are the ultimate sex symbols, and everyone wants to be cool enough to be in the school musical, while the football players are the losers who get pushed around. Anyway, it follows the adventures of Zanna, the high school matchmaker who tries to make sure everyone falls in love and ends up happy, but struggles when it comes out that a girl and boy have hooked up in a straight relationship and the resulting heterophobic fallout.

Here's a couple of songs from it (whole album is on youtube)
I Think We Got Love (ridiculously cute song of two boys falling in love):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZosCujRdUs
Be A Man (from the school musical about heterophobia in the army, this always gets stuck in my head): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btoVQLGc5WE

The whole thing is just so adorably cute, that I want to smish it if that's possible with a musical. The music is sweet and catchy and the show has some nice, amusing and clever ideas - sugar with a point :D Saw a great production of it by RSAMD at the Fringe a few years back.
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

Rachelle

Postby Rachelle » Mon May 27, 2013 12:19 am

A Tale of Two Cities...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IILJlLZVftQ
Everyone who enjoys Frank Wildhorn's shows should watch this. It's not his show but he did write a song for it and I knew it was his the moment I heard it. It's nearly identical to "In his eyes" from Jekyll and Hyde. I won't tell you which song so that you can wait and hear it yourself.
It's not spectacular but as I'm on a "Tale" binge at the moment I've got it on repeat and James Barbour is in it and his voice is gorgeous.

Edit: Warning; this show is addictive. Very very addictive.

Little Cozelma

Postby Little Cozelma » Wed May 29, 2013 4:43 pm

Jane Eyre, maybe? I have no idea if this musical has ever been popular, in its whole history. I was a baby in 2001 and ...foreign musicals? There's no such thing in my country. :? I love the songs, anyway.

The Bricklayer

Postby The Bricklayer » Wed May 29, 2013 4:59 pm

I don't think Jane Eyre has ever been too popular, but I really like it. Same with Tale.
Tomorrow will come no matter what, but it is up to you to make it better than today.

Proud Member of the Resident Combeferre Club.

MmeBahorel

Postby MmeBahorel » Thu May 30, 2013 1:48 am

Jane came too late, sadly. The major market had moved on from sungthrough epic novel adaptations by the time the show really got off the ground. Which is too bad, because it's a great show that I've sadly only ever seen in amateur productions. Broadway didn't go well, which meant it hasn't had the regional life it deserves. It's also been hard for Paul to get his other shows off the ground as successfully as his fans might like: he has adaptations of Daddy Long Legs and of Emma.
What kind of literature and what kind of life is the same question. - Tom Stoppard

Little Cozelma

Postby Little Cozelma » Thu May 30, 2013 5:57 am

Thank you! I don't know much about musicals, and can't help it, very unfortunately. Lucky Americans! It had never mattered until Les Mis, but now I discover other little things I like and... Emma? That must be interesting. I loved the book.
Also Pride and Prejudice, I think there had once started something like a musical but I don't know what happened then. I read that in the YouTube comments :|

Rachelle

Postby Rachelle » Thu May 30, 2013 12:07 pm

There's a musical version of Emma and Pride and Prejudice? I always thought Sense and Sensibility would make a really good show.
I think a lot off shows that failed on broadway should have started on the west end. I know Rebecca never really got off the ground in the US but my gut feeling is that it would have been a greater success had it opened in London than in New York.

MmeBahorel

Postby MmeBahorel » Fri May 31, 2013 12:35 am

A Sense and Sensibility musical just finished running in Denver - I know the guy who played Colonel Brandon.

There've been various P&P adaptations floating around. I knew a chap who was doing one about ten years ago now in the UK, but it wasn't a very good one, in his opinion. There are at least 5 attempts, and that's just with 2 minutes of Google, so there may well be more.

Paul Gordon's Emma is the only one I've heard about, but you know there have to be more floating around, or at least others were attempted and died quiet deaths.
What kind of literature and what kind of life is the same question. - Tom Stoppard

Rachelle

Postby Rachelle » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:42 pm

I've a very soft spot for Elisabeth and Rebecca by Michael Kunze and Sylvester Levay. Although I was devastated that the latter did not make it to broadway before it fell apart due to financial difficulties, I was not happy with how it had been translated into English or how it had been advertised or indeed that it had been put on broadway before the west end. I would have wished it every success though. I'm just realising the James Barbour was meant to be playing Maxim deWinter for a while. That makes me really sad because I would have really liked to have seen that.

MmeBahorel

Postby MmeBahorel » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:33 am

I think that's terrible casting after his legal problems (the statutory rape accusation and the way that finally got resolved). The age difference, and narrator's youth, are supposed to be rather creepy in the original novel; it would simply be too distracting for any audience members who remembered Barbour's legal problems, and I cannot imagine that history would be ignored by reviewers if the show ended up not very good and it made for a more interesting pan. It's less of an issue with him playing Jack.

Rachelle

Postby Rachelle » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:52 pm

Ahh right... I didn't know about that.
Thanks for filling me in.
Edit: Actually, looking back, it was Favell that he was cast as. I read it wrong. And you're absolutely right, it would be completely inappropriate casting him as Maxim given that history.

Rachel

Postby Rachel » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:33 pm

Seussical! It was my first musical, and there's something really really endearing about it, even if it's not that brilliant objectively and none of my friends like it.

Clearly, I have fantastic luck in the dating field.

Quotes to live by:
"This is highly illegal!" ~Inspector Javert (The Girl Nextdoor)

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:41 pm

It's written by Ahrens and Flaherty right? They're a good writing duo imo.
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

LaserUnicornJedi

Postby LaserUnicornJedi » Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:55 am

I'm going through an intense Pirate Queen obsession right now :lol:
Pancakes are life.

Return to “Other Musicals”