La Revolution Francaise

Discussion of musicals other than Les Misérables.
Citizeness Feuilly

La Revolution Francaise

Postby Citizeness Feuilly » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:58 pm

Yep, Schoenberg and Boubil's rock opera on the French Revolution. I can't decide what I think on it. I really like Charles and Isabelle's solos/duets, and Marie-Antoinette's song is lovely. But, other than that...there's just too much going on, I think. The subject matter isn't really well suited to rock...I'd love a musical/opera based on the French Revolution...the story is so dramatic and tragic and appealing! But I think La Revolution Francaise just...didn't work, to say the least. And besides, what little footage of it being performed remains is utterly vomit-inducing.

I think this video says it all, really:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQHyn2Ft ... re=related

Your thoughts?

[type your name]

Re: La Revolution Francaise

Postby [type your name] » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:48 am

Citizeness Feuilly wrote:Your thoughts?

I will never undestand French musicals XD

Seriously, I love Boublil and Schönberg for coming up the masterpieces that are Les Miz, Martin Guerre and Miss Saigon, but I unfortunately can't find anything positive to say about this. I'm trying really hard, but I can't.

But to be fair, I rarely enjoy rock-operas, so I guess it's simply not my type. I can stand Notre-Dame de Paris, Starmania and Les dix commandements, but other than that, it just doesn't work for me. I don't want to hear Romeo & Juliet, Mozart or Ali Baba singing to pop/rock tunes.

MmeBahorel

Postby MmeBahorel » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:21 am

I am so looking forward to the revival!!! I've been in love with the cracktasticness since I got my copy of the concept recording in 1998. Can anything top Marat's death?

I've been an LRF fan for so long that I was considering Wildhorn's The Civil War to be a knockoff. Think about it: major historical upheaval that contributes to national identity, told through a series of scenes in a modern musical idiom that reflects the composer's opinion of what the historical upheaval means, with a through-story of a doomed couple in love. It just lacks the crack, meaning it lacks a lot of the awesome.

You've seen the comic book libretto, right? I can't quickly find it online anymore, but thankfully, a YouTube user named OSCOZOFF did pull all the scans and has them attached to the correct songs. Too small to read all the details, unfortunately, but it's what I can find quickly.
What kind of literature and what kind of life is the same question. - Tom Stoppard

Col.Despard

Postby Col.Despard » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:40 am

I'm with MmeBahorel - I adore it for the sheer crack! One of my cherished memories of Paris last year is wandering back along the Seine singing Danton's La patrie est en danger with some of the Abaisse gang (it was Sophie de Grouchey a while back who told me to listen to it). We had internet access at the apartment, and at one point I distinctly recall putting on Marat's death for those who hadn't heard it and refused to believe it could be as whacked as described ("Ah, Charlotte!" "Ah, Marat!").

Even my BFF knows some of the lyrics through me listening to it as background when I'm goofing around at her place, and she's been known to launch into "Français, Français!" if she thinks I'm getting a bit out of hand.

I'd love to see better scans of the comic book - they were hilarious and SO 1970ish from what I could see on the dubious Youtube quality (wow - who knew Marie-Antoinette was such a sex bomb, even in the Conciergerie?)

Revival? YES PLEASE! This must be one of the most played albums on my iPod. You can run to half that rock-opera temp stuff!
"The principles of freedom, of humanity, and of justice, will finally triumph over falsehood, tyranny and delusion, and every principle inimical to the interests of the human race" - Edward Despard, 1803
http://coloneldespard.deviantart.com/

Citizeness Feuilly

Postby Citizeness Feuilly » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:28 pm

YES! There's a revival happening? Oh, I can't wait....its flaws aside, I do love La Revolution Francaise, if only for its crack-tastic-ness. Do you have any other information on where it will be performed? Just Paris, or is it going throughout other parts of Europe too?

And I love the cartoon libretto, 70s though they are. I can't afford to actually buy the album, so I've been working off of OSCOZOFF's upload. Also, who knew that Marie-Antoinette's last days in prison were spent wearing Éponine's costume?

Speaking of Marat's death scene - I wish the cartoon libretto had been a *bit* more imaginative. For the first, and only, time in the musical, there's an open reference to breasts, and yet the whole thing is shaded? The song is good enough to make up for it...I love Charlotte Corday's shout of "Tiens!" and then Marat's dying moans.

And Despard - you're my hero. :) Singing La patrie est en danger whilst walking along the Seine...pure heaven.

Trompe-la-Mort

Postby Trompe-la-Mort » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:46 pm

I'm not a big fan of LRF, but it has a few catchy tunes. Although it's more than difficult to take that Fouquier-Tinville serious.

I was pretty surprised when I found out in that Matt Lucas documentary that the idea of doing a rock opera on the subject came after the success of Jesus Christ Superstar (which I like a lot), but after seeing the clips (thanks by the way!) it's much less surprising that LRF was not very successful - the staging seems ridiculous.

I find it a bit difficult to voice a more detailed opinion when I only know the songs that are on the easily available CD and don't know for sure how much more there is.
Nevertheless, I'm so going to go and see the revival...
Dark sarcasm ought to be taught at schools!

MmeBahorel

Postby MmeBahorel » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:34 pm

This article (in French) on Musical Avenue is all I know. But they're promising a new album, too! I hope this does, indeed, happen, because it would be so disappointing to get my hopes up like this and have nothing come of it.

Citizeness Feuilly: At least they are very pert shaded breasts :) I was rather wondering where she managed to stow the knife, but I was also laughing too hard to really care. The TV set!!! The splashy-splashy sounds on the audio! The whole thing put together is so wonderful!

Is "L'Assassination du citoyen Marat par la perfide Charlotte Corday" the first thing everyone feels a need to inflict on all their friends? It was definitely mine :) I also like the Etats-généraux - the nobility are so bouncy!
What kind of literature and what kind of life is the same question. - Tom Stoppard

Auf die Barrikaden

Postby Auf die Barrikaden » Thu May 09, 2013 10:16 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y25u7j8RN90
We had internet access at the apartment, and at one point I distinctly recall putting on Marat's death for those who hadn't heard it and refused to believe it could be as whacked as described ("Ah, Charlotte!" "Ah, Marat!").

:shock: They shouldn't have listened to "Je t'aime" all day long on the radio while writing this...
Resident Les Miz prop expert and collector
Non licet omnibus adire Corinthum
Former Roles: Jesus (Jesus Christ Superstar), Dr Orin Scrivello (Little Shop of Horrors), Ensemble Cameo (Fame)

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Thu May 09, 2013 10:47 pm

Oh Marat's death is the *best* :D
I corrupted the Musain thread with that about a week ago when we got to page 1789 :D
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

Little Cozelma

Postby Little Cozelma » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:00 am

That's the song I'm listening to right now and... HAHAHAHA :'D
I try to like Revolution Francaise and/or Les amants de Bastille, but apparently French musicals are not my thing.

Return to “Other Musicals”