Notre-Dame de Paris adaptations

Discussion of musicals other than Les Misérables.
Ulkis

Re: Notre-Dame de Paris adaptations

Postby Ulkis » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:21 pm

And when did people start calling Esméralda/Agnès 'Esme'?

You know what drives me crazy. When English-speaking adaptations pronounce Esmeralda as Esmer-e-lda. Noooooo! It's an a! If you don't want to say "Esmer-AH-lda" say "Esmer-aa-lda".

I've typed Frollo because I've never read the book, and all the adaptations use "Frollo".

Yup. It's [Vivre] just the wrong style of song for that point in the narrative.

That, but also it's boring and long and generic. Actually, none of Esmeralda's songs are so great except "Bohemienne". (Sounds like I hate a lot of songs in the musical! I don't. I like most of the first act. It's in act 2 where most of the clunkers come in for me.)

Roses for Ophelia

Postby Roses for Ophelia » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:13 am

I like Vivre, actually. It was obviously written to be ' The Hit' but there's no shame in that. It's rather inappropriate to the plot, but to me, it's SO Esmeralda, because all this stuff has just happened to her, she's sentanced to death, and ALL she can think about is stupid Pheobus. It kinda walks that line between good annoying and just annoying.
Rivers belong where they can ramble...

silverwhistle

Postby silverwhistle » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:24 pm

Roses for Ophelia wrote:It's rather inappropriate to the plot, but to me, it's SO Esmeralda, because all this stuff has just happened to her, she's sentenced to death, and ALL she can think about is stupid Pheobus. It kinda walks that line between good annoying and just annoying.

You're right there: it is psychologically appropriate to the character, and despite the best efforts of the writers to give her a bit more backbone in the musical, she is – well – she's still Esméralda. What always bugged me in the book is that she never learns, and even manages to get her Mum killed as well, because she couldn't keep her mouth shut about Phœbus… (Pierre did get the brains of the act by going off with the goat!)
- Entends-tu? je t'aime! cria-t-il encore.
- Quel amour! dit la malheureuse en frémissant.
Il reprit: - L'amour d'un damné.

Victor Hugo, Notre Dame de Paris

silverwhistle

Postby silverwhistle » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:31 pm

Ulkis wrote:You know what drives me crazy. When English-speaking adaptations pronounce Esmeralda as Esmer-e-lda. Noooooo! It's an a! If you don't want to say "Esmer-AH-lda" say "Esmer-aa-lda"

Quite! They need a quick crash course in "It's Spanish for 'Emerald'!"
One of the ironies of the story is that for Claude, it echoes the name of the Emerald Tablet of Hermes Trismegistos, the Tabula Smaragdina, a key symbolic text in alchemy; but she takes it as a nickname from the green glass bead on her amulet – not even a real emerald, just as it's not her real name.

[type your name]

Re: NDdP stage versions

Postby [type your name] » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:12 am

Mmm... :? :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Corn%C3%A9lie_Falcon_as_Rachel_in_La_Juive_by_Hal%C3%A9vy_1835_-_A_Colin_-_NGO2p110.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Corn%C3%A9lie_Falcon.png

(Somehow, I have trouble believing she's the same woman on both pictures.)

Cornélie Falcon, who apparently enjoyed a very short career before becoming aphone.

Valancy

Postby Valancy » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:21 pm

silverwhistle wrote: (Pierre did get the brains of the act by going off with the goat!)

Oh, no kidding! I think one of the reasons Gringoire is my favourite character is that he's the only one who realises that Djali's much more worth anyone's attention than Esmeralda! She always annoyed me to no end in the book - I think she's the main reason I haven't managed to reread it for ages. Though I plan to, once I've finished with my reread of The Brick...

silverwhistle

Postby silverwhistle » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:06 pm

Valancy wrote:Oh, no kidding!

Do I detect a Djali-related pun?! :D
I think one of the reasons Gringoire is my favourite character is that he's the only one who realises that Djali's much more worth anyone's attention than Esmeralda! She always annoyed me to no end in the book - I think she's the main reason I haven't managed to reread it for ages. Though I plan to, once I've finished with my reread of The Brick...

Yup!
Pierre's a real sweetie! I could cheerfully spend an evening discussing philosophy and literature with him and Claude! Esméralda, however… She's the sort of bimbo airhead I've always despised.

silverwhistle

Re: NDdP stage versions

Postby silverwhistle » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:13 pm

Thanks! She's quite striking!

silverwhistle

Postby silverwhistle » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:43 pm

From the 2010 Dresden production of the Schmidt opera: Esméralda à la Roxie Hart (Camilla Nylund)!

And more of the delectable Markus Butter, who played Claude in the production. (He has a very goofy, schoolboy grin!)

silverwhistle

Postby silverwhistle » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:07 am

I've discovered the Dennis DeYoung HoND musical concept album: it's pretty good! I was also pleased by his comment about the show:
And more than condensing, I always saw it as essentially Frollo's story and wanted to follow the arc of his character, and explore the kind of man who would adopt a deformed child and end up murdering somebody. That was the story I wanted to tell.

[type your name]

Postby [type your name] » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:24 am

This will probably make many people cringe, but Alan Menken recently confirmed that HoND based on Disney's movie is being translated in English and will eventually move to Broadway.

MmeJavert
Benevolent Dictator

Postby MmeJavert » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:56 am

...oh dear. I thought that was rumoured before, though?
and to this day, she's glided on
always home but so far away
like a word misplaced
nothing said, what a waste

~pearl jam, "dissident"

[type your name]

Postby [type your name] » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:16 am

Yes, the rumour has been going on for a few years, but now he confirmed it to some American journalists .

Source:
http://www.regardencoulisse.com/alan-menken-devoile-ses-prochaines-comedies-musicales-a-broadway/ ... where we can learn there will also be a musical production of Aladdin.

Ulkis

Postby Ulkis » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:37 am

This will probably make many people cringe, but Alan Menken recently confirmed that HoND based on Disney's movie is being translated in English and will eventually move to Broadway.

Good God, FINALLY. Thanks for bringing that over, typeyourname.

Roses for Ophelia

Postby Roses for Ophelia » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:49 pm

My friends adn I were JUST talking about that! I think it'll be awesome! I hope they expand the score a bit...and imagine what coolness of sets there will be! This will be quite awesome, i think!
Rivers belong where they can ramble...

Return to “Other Musicals”