Jesus Christ Superstar

Discussion of musicals other than Les Misérables.

Jesus Christ Superstar

Postby 23623 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:14 am

I watched the 2000 movie for the first time last night and oh Jesus...I didn't get it at all.

I'm not being critical. In fact I like most of the music but feel really confused by the plot, like, I sort of know what's happening but I don't get what the authors have intended to do with that? :shock: Any JCS fans here to enlighten me?
Revolution, but civilization

Acaila

Re: Jesus Christ Superstar

Postby Acaila » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:23 pm

What parts of it didn't you get?

While I think Jerome Pradon is terrible in it, I'll always choose the 2000 movie over the original movie. Seeing that put me off the show nearly for life!
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

TheRandomPhangirl

Postby TheRandomPhangirl » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:10 pm

It's just a retelling of The Passion, isn't it? Only with rock music, and Jesus and Judas have some serious UST going on.

I haven't watched either film or the arena tour thing with Ben Forster, admittedly, so I can't compare. I have, however, seen the Regent's Park Open Air version, starring Declan Bennet and Tyrone Huntley (and David Thaxton as Pilate with some MCR-level eye makeup), and it floored me.
I'm the one to shout "Down with Polignac!"

Postby 23623 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:59 pm

Acaila wrote:What parts of it didn't you get?

While I think Jerome Pradon is terrible in it, I'll always choose the 2000 movie over the original movie. Seeing that put me off the show nearly for life!

Hehe, I've heard good things about JCS for quite a long time but only actually decided to watch the movie when I found that Jerome Pradon was in it.

...well that's not entirely true. I watched it a few years ago (when I had no idea who Jerome Pradon is) but didn't finish for some reason I can't remember. Then I just forgot about it. Having watched it in its entirety now I'm completely hooked, though I did scream "this is not the Marius I used to love!" almost every time Jerome Pradon appeared.

I know JCS is basically a modern retelling of the last week of Jesus' life, but I don't understand what they're trying to do with this. I mean it's not likely that ALW and Tim Rice only did it because it looks cool. Telling the same story in a different manner is not really that exciting. It's a creative attempt but only to a limited extent. I don't know if there's anything they're trying to establish with JCS. For example I kind of have the feeling that this show can be considered as an apology for Judas, as it gives considerable attention to his emotional dilemma. Also I guess the modern setting is probably suggesting something in the same way the DTC modern Les Mis does. I don't know exactly what is implied but the general thought is that what happened in the past is happening again today and probably will still happen in the future.

I'm probably overthinking too much but I really want to know what's the point of this show. :D

TheRandomPhangirl wrote:It's just a retelling of The Passion, isn't it? Only with rock music, and Jesus and Judas have some serious UST going on.

I haven't watched either film or the arena tour thing with Ben Forster, admittedly, so I can't compare. I have, however, seen the Regent's Park Open Air version, starring Declan Bennet and Tyrone Huntley (and David Thaxton as Pilate with some MCR-level eye makeup), and it floored me.

I've heard many good things about this production and it's already on my to-watch list.
Watching JCS on stage must be super fun. As far as I know this show has no "standard" production, which means almost every production is non-replica, so there's always something new to look for! :D

On a random note - I think Drew Sarich would be a really good Judas, though he plays Jesus in most of the videos I've found.
Revolution, but civilization

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:59 pm

Different productions sometimes don't bother with the whole modern setting. Personally, I like it when they make it modern because I always got the impression it was supposed to be trying to make the Passion story relevant, and drawing the comparison of Jesus with a late 20th century rock star.

Drew is one of my fave Judases (the other being Zubin Varla from the awesome 1996 London recording). His Judas was one of the first boots I ever got - someone who was sending me something else sent me that because I insisted nobody could be better than Zubin.
Here's some Drewdas to get you started - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXaEafnklg4
That production is the Amstetten one from 2005 I think.
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Olivia_y

Postby Olivia_y » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:36 pm

TheRandomPhangirl wrote:I have, however, seen the Regent's Park Open Air version, starring Declan Bennet and Tyrone Huntley (and David Thaxton as Pilate with some MCR-level eye makeup), and it floored me.

I just watched the OAT version at Regents Park! Joshua Dever was on as Judas, and he was pretty fantastic. He also looks a lot like George Blagden, which was...distracting, in a really good way :lol: . David Thaxton with that makeup (and later with blood all over his face) was really something else, a far cry from Maximillian of Candide (the only other show I've watched him in) to be sure.

23623 wrote:For example I kind of have the feeling that this show can be considered as an apology for Judas, as it gives considerable attention to his emotional dilemma.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but even though Jesus is first billed it definitely felt like Judas is the main character. Also the lyrics are so modernised I don't think it could work in a non-modern context.

ETA: since it was mentioned here I looked up the 2000 movie to see what was so awful about Jerome Pradon and...yikes :shock: ...I mean I thought he played Courfeyrac a bit manic in the LM TAC, but this is a whole...other level.

Olivia_y

Postby Olivia_y » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:00 am

Acaila wrote:While I think Jerome Pradon is terrible in it, I'll always choose the 2000 movie over the original movie. Seeing that put me off the show nearly for life!

What's the deal with the '73 movie? It obviously has a lot of fans - every Youtube clip of the 2000 movie has comments under it bemoaning how horrible it is compared to the '73. So I looked up that movie and...I don't get the appeal? All I can really say is that it's a very different style, so maybe that's partially what was throwing people?

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:07 pm

I really am not sure. I've had some barnstorming arguments with stans of the 73 movie online and I still do not get what they see in it. We watched in RE in school and I actually faked a sickie to get out of watching it, it was that cringe! It wasn't until some uni friends sat me down and made me listen to the 96 recording (with carefully selected People You Like In Other Things) that I gave it another chance.
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Morbidmuch_

Postby Morbidmuch_ » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:44 am

I've only seen parts of the 73 movie, and I too don't think it's not that great.
Funny story: in high school I was supposed to be a part of the choir for a stage production of JCS but I dropped out. I clearly wasn't as musical theater obsessed as I am now :lol:
Lamarque est mort [disco dances patriotically]

Olivia_y

Postby Olivia_y » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:10 am

Someone out there actually went to the trouble of dubbing the 2000 movie with the 1996 soundtrack :shock: . It was so well done it took me a moment to realise what was happening.

Needless to say Simon Zealotes was a weird track to watch :lol:.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:07 pm

Oh man, where did you find that?! Must see it, I've thought of doing exactly that many a time!
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Olivia_y

Postby Olivia_y » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:13 pm

Acaila wrote:Oh man, where did you find that?!

http://www.bilibili.com/video/av3913457 ... 0698073788

(You'll probably want to turn off the rolling commentary.)

Olivia_y

Postby Olivia_y » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:26 pm

From an article (on a separate subject entirely):
The US broadcaster NBC is making a live-action version of his musical Jesus Christ Superstar to air in Easter 2018, which will be produced by Lloyd Webber and co-creator Tim Rice.

Source: https://www.theguardian.com/culture/201 ... ative-peer

Return to “Other Musicals”