Movie Section...

Any ideas on how to make this forum better and/or ways to implement changes to this place, please put them here.
Enjolvert

Movie Section...

Postby Enjolvert » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:03 am

Could the line under the movie section of talk about 'how awful' adaptions were maybe be scrapped now? It would've fitted perfectly before because on the whole, most adaptions were terrible, but it feels a bit out of place now that we've got the musical movie out. Not a major thing though. Just out of interest.
The law is unjust.

Rachelle

Re: Movie Section...

Postby Rachelle » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:12 am

I agree. I always thought it was a bit out of place. Most adaptations have their flaws, some are quite bad but the majority have their redeeming factors, and lets face it, the movie musical was spectacular.
"Cure your Cholera with boiled water and bananas"

MmeJavert
Benevolent Dictator

Postby MmeJavert » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:53 pm

Speaking as admin: suggestion noted.

Speaking personally -- awful is an opinion, there are MANY movie adaptations, and the fact that the latest movie has a jillion fans and more good parts than bad doesn't negate the awfulness of previous movies... plus it's not exactly a fact universally acknowledged that the latest movie is awesome.

(The latest movie, I have zero opinion on as I have not actually seen it.)
and to this day, she's glided on
always home but so far away
like a word misplaced
nothing said, what a waste

~pearl jam, "dissident"

Enjolvert

Postby Enjolvert » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:03 pm

Fair enough. I'm a fan of the latest movie myself but it obviously does have a number of flaws at the same time and I can understand that some don't like it. What I'd say is there have been some who have become Les Mis fans through the movie and coming here has been like a source of expansion for knowing how to tackle the brick and staged musical versions etc. It could potentially be off-putting to some new ones if they're seeing that and then feel worried to join in case they think we're going to condemn them for being introduced through the movie, which is far from the truth since we're welcoming to everyone. Hasn't really deterred many so far though so it's probably nothing.
The law is unjust.

MmeJavert
Benevolent Dictator

Postby MmeJavert » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:31 pm

Ha, no.

It is a throwback to five or more years ago when most people's exposure to "Les Mis Movie" was either the piece of crap from 1998, the 2000 miniseries, or the 1970s version. Or none at all. So yes, the newest movie has changed things, but it's certainly not meant to be snide towards movie FANS, more along the lines of "no you aren't the only person to cringe at X".
and to this day, she's glided on
always home but so far away
like a word misplaced
nothing said, what a waste

~pearl jam, "dissident"

welch

Postby welch » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:29 am

Incidentally, I met Les Mis through the old version with Charles Laughton as Javert. I might watch it again. I have remembered Laughton's face, and his careful side-step along the bridge -- just before jumping -- have always stuck with me.

I saw the Broadway version in 1986, not knowing any of the actor/singers, but came away sobbing, and wondering how any human could sing like Valjean...especially the last note he -- Colm Wilkinson, I learned -- sings in "Bring Him Home".

Return to “Suggestions”