A roleplaying section

Any ideas on how to make this forum better and/or ways to implement changes to this place, please put them here.
Convict24603

A roleplaying section

Postby Convict24603 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:34 pm

gives memebers the chance to step into the character's shoes, I think it would be great :D

AND I'M JAVERT! Do Not Forget My Name!

Alex

Re: A roleplaying section

Postby Alex » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:55 pm

I was just coming onto Abaisse to suggest the same thing :lol:

I've done a bit of poking around, and it seems to me that there may have been a roleplaying section in the past, but it was deleted due to lack of interest. I would personally love to do some Les Mis roleplaying, so perhaps if enough people show interest, we might be able to start one up?

MmeJavert
Benevolent Dictator

Postby MmeJavert » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:28 am

I think there was another topic on this previously, actually, and Alex is right.

The previous incarnation of the board had a RP section, and despite two or three attempts at starting a few games, they all inevitably got abandoned. As I said the previous time, if you can drum up a half dozen or so people at the least who are actually willing to participate, and nominate a moderator, I'll install a new RP section. But as I recall the last attempt got three people halfway interested, and it didn't go anywhere. I know people lose interest here and there, and I know sometimes people are interested later if it's there, but I deleted the old board purely because it had gone years without a new post being made, so there you are.

I'm not averse to a role play section, mind you; I've done plenty of RP in the past. But I really don't want to add boards that will just remain largely unused and empty if I don't need to. Show me the interest and we'll put something together. :)
and to this day, she's glided on
always home but so far away
like a word misplaced
nothing said, what a waste

~pearl jam, "dissident"

Alex

Postby Alex » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:34 am

I'm happy to moderate it if it comes to pass (I was a mod for a CATS rpg for about four years, so I have some experience in the matter), but I defer to Convict24603 if they want to do it, as they made the suggestion first.

I'm not sure how to go about getting a lot of people here interested, other than watching this space to see if more people post here saying they are. I mean, I could do the obvious and spam the boards over at fanfiction.net, but I'm not really that desperate and something tells me MmeJavert wouldn't appreciate all of the newcomers who show up to duke it out over who gets to play Cosette and Éponine :lol: (Trust me, I won't do that)

Jes

Postby Jes » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:39 am

see, I'd love to be involved a ... slightly freeform thing like desperatefans circa 2005, periodically full of crack but spawning the loveliest more serious moments/fics. Although I totally don't have time right now, I would so be there :mrgreen:

MmeJavert
Benevolent Dictator

Postby MmeJavert » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:40 am

LOL! Well, they would have to be members here to post, although becoming a member isn't that hard. And the point behind a moderator being nominated is so that I don't have to step in and mediate "But I wanted to be Cosette!" "I called it first!" arguments. :lol: It's all about delegating duties. ;)

In all seriousness, though, if you can convince a bunch of people to roleplay with you, it doesn't matter how you do it, it just has to be a demonstrated proof of interest so that I don't make a board and then 3 months later I'm watching the tumbleweeds float past it.

And I guess there doesn't really need to be organised games or elaborate setups, Jes -- just, like I said, proof that there IS a sizeable number of people willing to actually use the board regularly.
like a word misplaced

~pearl jam, "dissident"

Alex

Postby Alex » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:56 am

What did the roleplaying section look like in its previous incarnation? Like, was there a particular plot or time within the events of Les Mis, or was it just like "early 19th century France, Les Mis characters... GO!"?

Mlle Patria

Postby Mlle Patria » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:32 am

I'm interested. I've never done role playing before but, it sounds like fun.
Vive la France! Vive l'avenir!

Alex

Postby Alex » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:44 am

Excellent! Roleplaying is quite simple: essentially you are writing a story with a bunch of other people, but you can only write the thoughts/feelings/actions for your own character. So for instance, imagine writing a Les Mis roleplay wherein you play Enjolras, I play Marius, and Convict24603 plays Combeferre. You would write a post about what Enjolras was doing. Then I would write a post about what Marius is doing (including, importantly, responding to anything Enjolras does/says that has to do with Marius), then Convict24603 would write a post about what Combeferre is doing (including responding to anything Enjolras and Marius say/do that affects Combeferre), then you would write a post with Enjolras reacting to Marius and Combeferre, etc, etc. It's one of those things that's easy to do but difficult to explain.

Here's a good guide with the very basics.

(Or maybe you meant that you've never done it before but know exactly what it is, in which case please ignore the ramblings of a crazy person XD)

MmeJavert
Benevolent Dictator

Postby MmeJavert » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:03 am

Alex wrote:What did the roleplaying section look like in its previous incarnation?

It had its own section: an in-character board and an out-of-character board. No guidelines set by me, just a space for people to start threads and what not. I did not want to start anything or put too much rigid structure in place just because I didn't want to have an "admin-endorsed" style or thread or whatever, and I won't do that for the theoretical new section, either.

(Now, I won't 100% definitively rule out ever participating in a roleplay, it's just that I'm not very likely to follow along or participate in any/everything that might come along.)
like a word misplaced

~pearl jam, "dissident"

Convict24603

Postby Convict24603 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:09 pm

I'm glad that I am not the only one interested :D

I have done a lot of Doctor Who roleplaying on Facebook with the other roleplayers and I have had so much fun doing that, but I have never done Les Misérables Roleplay which will be great I think (Long as I am Javert :lol: )

And Im not sure about Moderating as I'm only 15 going on 16 so i may be too young to moderate

but I think it's up to Mme Javert right now :)

AND I'M JAVERT! Do Not Forget My Name!

Aurelia Combeferre

Postby Aurelia Combeferre » Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:02 pm

Alex wrote:What did the roleplaying section look like in its previous incarnation? Like, was there a particular plot or time within the events of Les Mis, or was it just like "early 19th century France, Les Mis characters... GO!"?

I remember one of the earlier roleplays here. Basically those of us who were involved took one or two characters to "play" or "respond" as. Someone started off a premise (I think this one involved Enjolras being missing and the Amis investigating). One of the mods (who was playing Combeferre) started off a post, leaving another player to add in his/her character via a post, then so on and so forth. You could not respond for other people's characters, so if something had to be dealt with right away, PMs or off-board discussion was used to make sure that the thread wouldn't be left hanging.

I think that particular premise went on for several months (I recall graduating from high school during that time).
"...all aptitudes having equal opportunity; politically, all votes having equal weight; religiously, all consciences having equal rights."

lamereduchesne

Postby lamereduchesne » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:40 am

Hello, all!

So this is something I've been looking for for quite a while, actually - although I've done most of my hunting over at Insanejournal, which seems to be where a lot of the online RP community has settled. (Or maybe just the Potter community.) I'd also be happy to help something like this come to fruition, as a mod or ... whatever. I was a very active - a shamelessly active - player back in the Gtriad days (and now I feel old), and would love to see a healthy LM RP again, be it a large community or a dressing room or just a few private storylines.

I'd love to work something out with anyone who wants to participate, either hosted here or on IJ or LJ. I've got enough general experience that I'd be comfortable modding, to the extent that such might be necessary, but would also totally love to join in someone else's game. <3 If we don't end up hosting an actual game here, perhaps there could just be a section advertising for potential RP partners, along the lines of fandom_psls?

Basically, I'm up for pretty much anything.

Return to “Suggestions”