Misheard song lyrics

Any discussion related to any production or staging of Boublil and Schönberg's Les Misérables.
geminimimi

Re: Misheard song lyrics

Postby geminimimi » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:41 am

I used to hear this line from Bring Him Home, 'If God had granted me a son, the summers die one by one' as 'If God had granted me a son, the sons must die one by one' in my twisted mind. I was like,' Did Valjean just suddenly become a sadist?' Nah, it's just my bad hearing.
I like to think everything whizzes by her head like sheep jumping over fences, and that Marius comes by every 3-4 sheep. And add scattered leaves flying around and rain falling too. And maybe a unicorn. Thus the insides of Éponine's mind.

La_Armada

Postby La_Armada » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:10 am

In the 25th Anniversary Concert's Attack on Rue Plumet, I kept hearing Thénardier saying
"You ain't my girl / You unruly slut / I'll make you scream / You'll scream alright".

As if the original lyrics weren't already traumatizing enough. Damn you, Matt Lucas.

Enjolvert

Postby Enjolvert » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:11 am

geminimimi wrote:I used to hear this line from Bring Him Home, 'If God had granted me a son, the summers die one by one' as 'If God had granted me a son, the sons must die one by one' in my twisted mind. I was like,' Did Valjean just suddenly become a sadist?' Nah, it's just my bad hearing.

Well I guess it would put an end to the complaints of Valjean being too accepting of Marius in the musical as opposed to his earlier attitude in the brick. :lol:
The law is unjust.

geminimimi

Postby geminimimi » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:45 pm

That would actually be really cool, that Valjean was planning to kill Marius all along or something. It would be more interesting than singing about having sons and saving them in any case. :D
I like to think everything whizzes by her head like sheep jumping over fences, and that Marius comes by every 3-4 sheep. And add scattered leaves flying around and rain falling too. And maybe a unicorn. Thus the insides of Éponine's mind.

MamzelleCombeferre

Postby MamzelleCombeferre » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:06 pm

Schermg: When I first heard "Lovely Ladies", I mistook "Costs a little extra if you want to take all year" as "Costs a little extra if you want it in the rear."

What?? This isn't the real line? Wow, I've been mishearing that for forever now then...
KITTENS AND UNICORNS AND RAINBOWS OH MY! *Sparkles*

Gervais

Postby Gervais » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:44 am

In Drink with Me, a la the movie soundtrack:
"As surely as our band of flies, the people too must rise." Way to be supportive, Enjolras. :wink:

When listening to Noir ou Blanc when you don't know French:: "Courfeyrac est un ange." :shock: Javert just slashed himself with Courfeyrac... :shock:

"The peas, Woyzeck. The PEAS."

YoungStudentMarius

Postby YoungStudentMarius » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:50 am

That's really, really funny. (personally, in all seriousness, I actually really like the line change in the movie soundtrack there-- from "eagle" to "banner," and "They may attack before it's light" as opposed to "They won't attack before it's light.")

Ah, yes...don't even get me started on the french versions. :roll: It always sounds to me like Javert said "I am a metronome!" at one part during his suicide. And Enjolras called Marius a retard, and the factory women fought about an ipod. Unfortunately, not, although the metronome one could have worked, actually... Besides, AHFOL in french (1991) doesn't need to be made any funnier than it already is. :wink:
Our chimeras are the things which most resemble us. Each of us dreams of the unknown and the impossible in accordance with his nature.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:35 pm

Up until shamefully recently, in the bit where Javert catches Valjean coming out of the sewers, I always thought Valjean's line was "The faithful servant in this postman's war". I just assumed it was some sort of metaphor! Too much Tim Rice for me, methinks!
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

HopeForTheJust
Location: Loitering near the Place du Châtelet, waiting for someone

Postby HopeForTheJust » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:18 pm

I can't be the only one who, for years, was confused by this:
"Tomorrow we'll discover what our god in heaven has in store
One more god, one more day, one day more!"
"To shame the guise o'th' world, I will begin/
The fashion: less without, and more within."
-Posthumus Leonatus, Cymbeline

Courgette

Postby Courgette » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:04 pm

In 'One Day More', my best boo-boo is in Enjolras' line,"When our ranks begin to fall"...

I kept wondering why was the guy earlier singing about starting a revolution if he is now saying that his forces are going to go down?
"Lord in Heaven, look down on him in mercy..."

Courgette

Postby Courgette » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:37 pm

Here's another of mine:

Lovely Ladies: "Long time, short time, any time idea..."

Even to this day, I still cannot understand the lyrics to the first part of 'The Robbery' (Brujon, Babet, etc.), a small part of 'Éponine's Errand' (the part about "good god what a jumpus" or something like that, right??), and the initial dialogue between Éponine and 'Parnasse in 'Attack on Rue Plumet'...
"Lord in Heaven, look down on him in mercy..."

Rose1836

Postby Rose1836 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:04 am

"God on high, hear my prayer, in my need" sounds to me "God on high, hear my prayer, in my knees"

freedomlover
Location: The Barricade of Freedom!!! or the Saint-Merri Barricade

Postby freedomlover » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:43 pm

I heard "the sons will die one by one" also :roll:
ImageTime Machine Theory:According to some people, Hugo had a time machine and based Enjolras on this user but made a male version of this user.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:45 pm

I think I heard that line as "the son must die" once upon a time! It thoroughly confused me, though perhaps it fits with Valjean's book angst over Marius! :D
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

Olivia_y

Postby Olivia_y » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:29 am

"One more day to revolution, we will kick it in the butt..."

Yeah, it sounded out of character to me too.

Return to “Les Misérables”