Misheard song lyrics

Any discussion related to any production or staging of Boublil and Schönberg's Les Misérables.

Re: Misheard song lyrics

Postby 23623 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 2:51 pm

This thread is hilarious. Every time I read it I laugh from the beginning to the end :lol: And now I can never listen to some lines the same way before, even though I never mishear them!

I don't have many epic mishearings in Les Miz. I also heard "son must die" and wondered for a long time why Valjean was suddenly this pessimistic. Besides that, when the CSR Éponine sings "Every word that he says is a dagger in me" I always hear "Everyone has the scissors. Attacker's in me!" I know the lyrics and what I hear doesn't make any sense, but I've been hearing that since the first day I listend to CSR :roll: I guess I may be the only one in the world who get this line wrong :oops:

I do mishear a lot in other musicals. I know it's off-topic but some of these are really too stupid (at least they make me lol after checking the correct lyrics)
Cats: "Daylight, see the dew on the sunflower" --> "Midnight, see the due on the sunrise" (A good summary of university life nonetheless)
POTO: "Give me the strength to try" --> "Give me the strength to die"
The Secret garden:
"Plant a hedge" --> "What the heck"
"For an old man knows how a year it goes" --> "For an old man knows how the eerie goes"
"Skip, skipped the ladies to the master's gate" --> "Skip, skip the ladies on the mustard cake"
Revolution, but civilization

Mlle Enjolras

Postby Mlle Enjolras » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:38 am

"Student's work is everyone" instead of "Students, workers, everyone"
That one doesn't even make sense. Oh and Grantaire:
"I am a dog, I am aghast" haha.
I'm also guilty of the 'son must die' thing...
Permets-tu?
Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise.

Prisoner 24653

Postby Prisoner 24653 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:03 am

Remembered another line I misheard in the Japanese lyrics. This one was in "Stars" (in fact, posting about the lyrics from that song in the thread on foreign language productions was what made me remember this).

So basically, near the end of the song where "...Safe behind bars / I will never rest" occurs in the English version, the Japanese lyrics have "...Buchikomu zo / Tetsugoushi" (I'll throw him in prison / behind iron bars). I misheard "Tetsugoushi" -- not sure what word I heard, but when I looked it up in a Japanese-English dictionary at school, the definition it gave was "the gallows." I was rather shocked -- Javert was certainly harsh, but wanting Valjean to hang for his crimes seemed a bit extreme to me.

There was also one bit with Les Amis -- the line "They will see the people rise" is translated as "Shimin wa tatsu zo" ("The citizenry will rise"). I heard it as "Shinin wa tatsu zo" ("The dead will rise"). Is Enjolras counting on zombies to overthrow the monarchy, then? :lol:

Postby 23623 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:15 pm

Prisoner 24653 wrote:Real lyric: "Arashi no hi made / Ato mou ichinichi" -- "Until the day of the storm, we have one more day (to wait)."
I heard it as: "Arashi no shima de / Atama wo ichinichi" -- "On the island of storms, we'll spend a day standing on our heads," or perhaps "our heads will last for a day."

Oh my God this is priceless. :lol:

I'm listening to the 1993 Spanish cast now. I'm pretty sure I've misheard this line (read on and you'll know what I mean) though I don't know what the correct lyrics are yet.

"Antes de casarme otra vez." (before I get married again) Wait what? Valjean getting married...again?

This line corresponds to "Before you chain me up like a slave again" in English. I'm very curious what the correct lyrics are, but honestly I may still choose to mishear even after I know. :mrgreen:

Ilargi

Postby Ilargi » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:24 am

Prisoner 24653 wrote:There was also one bit with Les Amis -- the line "They will see the people rise" is translated as "Shimin wa tatsu zo" ("The citizenry will rise"). I heard it as "Shinin wa tatsu zo" ("The dead will rise"). Is Enjolras counting on zombies to overthrow the monarchy, then?

That gives a new meaning to "on the tomb of Lamarque shall our barricade rise"! :lol:

_23623_ wrote:"Antes de casarme otra vez." (before I get married again) Wait what? Valjean getting married...again?

This line corresponds to "Before you chain me up like a slave again" in English. I'm very curious what the correct lyrics are, but honestly I may still choose to mishear even after I know.

He actually says: "Antes de encarcelarme otra vez" (before [you] jail me again). :wink:

Postby 23623 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:45 am

Ilargi wrote:
_23623_ wrote:"Antes de casarme otra vez." (before I get married again) Wait what? Valjean getting married...again?

This line corresponds to "Before you chain me up like a slave again" in English. I'm very curious what the correct lyrics are, but honestly I may still choose to mishear even after I know.

He actually says: "Antes de encarcelarme otra vez" (before [you] jail me again). :wink:

Native speakers are awesome people! :D

I also have heard it as “Antes de caerme...” (before I fall) and “Antes de cascarme...” (before you break me(?) ) I can never get it correct because in fact I don't know the word “encarcelar”, haha!

I forget to mention this one from 2010 Madrid cast. Confuses me for quite a long time.
“Marius, no eres algo infantil” (Marius you are no longer a child)
I heard “Marius, no eres algo en Fantine” (actually this makes no sense grammatically! ) :roll:
At first I also heard it as “Marius, no sé algo en Fantine” (Can be interpreted as “Marius I don't know something about Fantine”? Not sure if this makes any sense grammatically...)

Ilargi

Postby Ilargi » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:06 am

_23623_ wrote:I forget to mention this one from 2010 Madrid cast. Confuses me for quite a long time.
“Marius, no eres algo infantil” (Marius you are no longer a child)
I heard “Marius, no eres algo en Fantine” (actually this makes no sense grammatically! )
At first I also heard it as “Marius, no sé algo en Fantine” (Can be interpreted as “Marius I don't know something about Fantine”? Not sure if this makes any sense grammatically...)

Actually it should be heard as a (reproving) question: "Marius, ¿no eres algo infantil?" (Marius, are you not a little bit childish?/Are you not behaving like a child?), because Enjolras would never say that as an statement: "Marius, you are not childish" and, if he did, he would say: "No eres nada infantil". :wink:
"No sé algo en Fantine" doesn't make any sense. It should be "No sé nada de Fantine" or "No sé nada sobre Fantine".

Postby 23623 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:22 pm

Thanks Ilargi! Native speakers are really awesome people! :D *Adds what Ilargi said to her grammar notebook*

Well, considering that I've already arranged a marriage for Valjean, I'm...kind of glad that they don't make any sense because there won't be any more crap. :mrgreen:

Return to “Les Misérables”