Misheard song lyrics

Any discussion related to any production or staging of Boublil and Schönberg's Les Misérables.
Prisoner 9430

Re: Misheard song lyrics

Postby Prisoner 9430 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:29 am

It's this one, in our production everyone thought this was absolutely hilarious.

Je suis obsédé 24601

Postby Je suis obsédé 24601 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:43 am

Confrontation: I heard "I was born with skin like you." The *actual* lyric: "I was born with scum like you."
Rory listen she's not dead. *Actually* she is dead. But its not the end of the world. Well it is the end of the world. Actually its the end of the universe.

Sweet surrender, what a night!

Prisoner 24653

Postby Prisoner 24653 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:27 am

In response to that last post... So is Javert saying that he was born with identical (or at least similar) skin colour to Valjean? Or is he saying that he, like Valjean, was born with skin? And if it's the latter, then does he know a lot of people who were born without skin? :shock: [/overanalyzing]

Here's one I remembered from the first time I heard the CSR. In "Bring Him Home," I was sure that Gary Morris was saying "God on high... You, my brer..." I immediately thought, "What, like Brer Rabbit?" Later, I looked it up and saw that "brer" is Southern US slang for "brother." Not sure how many people would refer to God as a brother rather than Father (or why Valjean was apparently from the South), but hey...

Mlle de Rosé

Postby Mlle de Rosé » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:13 pm

When I heard A Heart Full of Love in English for the first time, I misheard it when Marius sings "Won't you say? Will you tell?" and Cosette starts her "A heart full of love" ... I laughed so hard because for a moment it sounded like Cosette was singing "A tart full of love" ;D
"Les Mis never leaves you, it stays in your heart forever." - Samantha Barks

TheOfficeIsClosed

Postby TheOfficeIsClosed » Wed May 28, 2014 11:29 am

Any Despicable Me fans here?? Like, apart from me? 8)

Ahem, either way, I challenge any of you to listen to the OLC version of Javert's suicide and tell me it *doesn't* sound like he sings "How can I now allow this man to hold THE MINION over me?!" :lol:

And it's not like I didn't the actual words at the time or anything...

Also, in the movie version of In My Life:
"Does he know I'm a lie? Do I know if he's real?" :)
My theatre never closes and the curtain's never down!

Barricade Butterfly

Postby Barricade Butterfly » Thu May 29, 2014 3:28 am

I've never seen Despicable Me...

Both of those, yes. :D

And, literally, I thought the line was "when our ranks begin to fall" until I read this thread. *facepalm* I always wondered why Enjolrati looked way too cheerful singing that...:roll:

Also, several of Thenardier's lines, since the 25th anniversary was my first introduction. The movie cleared up most of the Waltz of Treachery ones, but there was one WOT line I always heard as "you are very well, c'mere", which just sounds...weird. Can't remember what line it was now...
"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words, and which cannot be silenced"--Victor Hugo

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Thu May 29, 2014 6:58 am

"You are very welcome here"?

I love that minion line though. I have a feeling I might catch myself singing that now :D
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

Alouette

Postby Alouette » Thu May 29, 2014 12:19 pm

In Fantine's Arrest, I used to think the line was 'to pick or to choose or to leave me a dunce'. I still can't really get that out of my head.

Barricade Butterfly wrote:And, literally, I thought the line was "when our ranks begin to fall" until I read this thread. *facepalm* I always wondered why Enjolrati looked way too cheerful singing that...:roll:

I heard that as well!

TheOfficeIsClosed

Postby TheOfficeIsClosed » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:33 pm

Oh. Wait!! I have another I forgot to mention.

Sometime last year, I was randomly singing On My Own, as you do. Like, practicing with a backing track and all. I decided to have a break, and went downstairs, to the kitchen or something. Where I went isn't really relevant. The song was still playing in my head, but I wasn't paying attention, was thinking about something completely different, and the song was just kind of there in the background.
Then, at one point, I just realised what had just gone through my head and was like 'wait, WHAT?!' :shock:

The trees are full of happiness.

I'm pretty sure it was the end bit and not the 'trees are full of starlight', so basically it would've been 'the trees are full of happiness that I have never known!!' :lol:

I basically loled a lot when I realised...

TheOfficeIsClosed

Re:

Postby TheOfficeIsClosed » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:53 pm

Citizen_Aku wrote:"Keep any skateboards"? :lol: That's wonderful.

I got "although she's dressed up for the night" instead of "to the nines" from Don't Cry for Me, Argentina. And probably loads more. I completely messed up that song when I first heard it.

I always thought it was 'To the night'. In fact, I still don't know what 'to the nines' even means, and I've known the song and even the correct lyrics for ages, about time I looked it up...

Another one I had for that song though, was 'all through my wild days, my manic sisters...' :lol: It didn't take me too long to figure out what it actually was, but that's what I heard at first and it took me a while to stop hearing that even when I knew it was wrong...

Darkhorse

Postby Darkhorse » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:36 pm

TheOfficeIsClosed wrote:don't know what 'to the nines' even means, and I've known the song and even the correct lyrics for ages, about time I looked it up...

It means, to my knowledge, dressed up in her best clothes/very very smartly

Barricade Butterfly

Postby Barricade Butterfly » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:07 am

Acaila wrote:"You are very welcome here"?

YES. Thank you!

TheOfficeIsClosed wrote:Another one I had for that song though, was 'all through my wild days, my manic sisters...' It didn't take me too long to figure out what it actually was, but that's what I heard at first and it took me a while to stop hearing that even when I knew it was wrong...

That's...pretty awesome, actually. :D

OK so I just called over my 10-year-old brother who isn't into Les Mis and showed him that "dis bear" thing and his reaction was "Why is his face expression so funny?" The first pic was definitely captured at a bad time. But it's hilarious because you can sing dis bear and no one can tell the difference. :)
"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words, and which cannot be silenced"--Victor Hugo

Prisoner 24653

Postby Prisoner 24653 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:18 am

I remembered another one from back when I first heard the CSR (which was my first exposure to the full show; before then, all I'd heard was the OLC). In "Javert's Suicide," aside from being convinced that Gary Morris was saying "It's a Javert!", I thought he was saying "The faithful serf in Adam's post once more!" rather than "The faithful servant at his post once more!" Naturally, I assumed this was some veiled, complicated reference to the Biblical Adam, so when I got a bit older, I started trying to decrypt that and decided Valjean was saying that Javert was a serf, a slave to his master (the State), and was trying to act like Adam originally -- without sin -- and the lyrics were possibly foreshadowing Javert's (literal) fall. Of course, later on, I found the libretto and learned that wasn't the case... heh.

And the "minion" line is awesome. I'm tempted to try a manip of that. :lol:

MmeBahorel

Postby MmeBahorel » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:38 pm

I kept getting (for years) "the faithful serf is at his post once more" and was reading it as Valjean applying that to himself, like he was referencing being brought before the whipping post or something again and is begging not to be let off - he's faithfully returned to his master for punishment - but just postponing for Marius.

It made plenty of sense in my head, I swear. I think it was also Gary Morris' fault.
What kind of literature and what kind of life is the same question. - Tom Stoppard

TheOfficeIsClosed

Postby TheOfficeIsClosed » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:50 pm

Prisoner 24653 wrote:And the "minion" line is awesome. I'm tempted to try a manip of that. :lol:

Ooh I very much look forward to seeing it if you do! :wink:

Return to “Les Misérables”