Misheard song lyrics

Any discussion related to any production or staging of Boublil and Schönberg's Les Misérables.
Lamarque-is-Dead

Re: Misheard song lyrics

Postby Lamarque-is-Dead » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:15 am

In Javert's Arrival on the TAC, I always hear "I have been to their lines, I have counted each man" as "I have beaten their lines, I have conquered each man". The TAC is the soundtrack I listen to the most, so I literally just realized that wasn't the actual line. For some reason, it never occurred to me that the next lines wouldn't make sense if Javert was saying he'd killed the entire National Guard. :P
Mistress of Dubious Compliments (thanks, Acaila!)
Valjean is my homeboy :D

Pointless Star

Postby Pointless Star » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:21 am

For "One Day More," I used to hear "There's a new world for the winning" as "There's a new world for the women." :shock:

Lamarque-is-Dead

Postby Lamarque-is-Dead » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:26 am

:lol: Well, it kind of makes sense since all the men are going to die. :P
Mistress of Dubious Compliments (thanks, Acaila!)
Valjean is my homeboy :D

torontocolm

Postby torontocolm » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:30 am

Pointless Star wrote:For "One Day More," I used to hear "There's a new world for the winning" as "There's a new world for the women." :shock:

I second this.

YoungStudentMarius

Postby YoungStudentMarius » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:00 am

Along that vein, I heard "every man will be at peace" instead of "every man will be a king." Yeah, they were at peace.... :shock:
Our chimeras are the things which most resemble us. Each of us dreams of the unknown and the impossible in accordance with his nature.

MmeFeuilly

Postby MmeFeuilly » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:50 pm

My friend went to see the movie and instead of hearing "How do you do, my name's Gavroche" He ended up hearing "How do you do, call me Roge."
He ended up talking to me about the little kid Roger in Les Mis.
In the French Concept Album, I always here "Voila sa lettre, c'est mon cadeau" as "Voila salade, et mon gateau" and I was really confused as to why she was talking about food as she was dying. And I honestly still sing that.
I Live On Constellation Street

HopeForTheJust
Location: Loitering near the Place du Châtelet, waiting for someone

Postby HopeForTheJust » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:32 pm

Gervais wrote:When listening to Noir ou Blanc when you don't know French:: "Courfeyrac est un ange." :shock: Javert just slashed himself with Courfeyrac... :shock:

Could someone please tell me what the line actually is? I looked at the lyrics and can't figure out what it was you could have heard that way.
"To shame the guise o'th' world, I will begin/
The fashion: less without, and more within."
-Posthumus Leonatus, Cymbeline

Gervais

Postby Gervais » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:44 pm

HopeForTheJust wrote:
Gervais wrote:When listening to Noir ou Blanc when you don't know French:: "Courfeyrac est un ange." :shock: Javert just slashed himself with Courfeyrac... :shock:

Could someone please tell me what the line actually is? I looked at the lyrics and can't figure out what it was you could have heard that way.

If I remember right, it was pour faire douter un juste .(Thank you for your website, MmeBahorel). I never claimed that what I heard made sense, it was just my brain trying to turn it into something I could understand. :roll:

"The peas, Woyzeck. The PEAS."

MmeBahorel

Postby MmeBahorel » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:39 am

I had the worst time parsing La révolution française until I got hold of the lyrics, at which point I facepalmed a lot. Particularly "A bas tous les privilèges": could have sworn it was "Vive la raison" instead of "Il a raison" and (this is completely fair - they sound exactly alike and make sense) "La chance va changer demain" instead of "changer de mains" - "luck will change tomorrow" instead of "luck will change hands".

Which I realise makes it sound like my French is way better than it is. Nope, that's just the bits I remember, as opposed to the utter gibberish I must have come up with before I got hold of the lyrics. I just gave up on the bits of the OFC that aren't listed in the lyrics - that verse of La Journée est fini that got left out, all I could get out of that was "ma foi" and something about M. Madeleine. A French friend transcribed that bit for me, otherwise that would still be a gap. So much distortion in song that lyrics are really hard to parse sometimes.
What kind of literature and what kind of life is the same question. - Tom Stoppard

freedomlover
Location: The Barricade of Freedom!!! (or southern-central Virginia)

Postby freedomlover » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:01 pm

My roommate pointed these out after seeing Les Mis;
"Black- the night that ends our lives!!!"
and her boyfriend thought Javert said "Nip it in the..." (you know where)
ImageTime Machine Theory:According to some people, Hugo had a time machine and based Enjolras on this user but made a male version of this user.

mastromjm

Postby mastromjm » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:12 pm

From "The ABC Cafe":
"Here he comes like Don Juan" - the first time I heard it, I thought "Here he comes like Donkey Kong". No idea why
"They will come when we call" - for a while, I thought it was "They will come when we fall", which wouldn't really make much sense.

From "The Attack on Rue Plumet"
"This is his lair, I've seen the old fox around" ...I confused fox for...a similar-sounding cuss word
"It's your brat Éponine" - On first listen I thought it was "It's your Brad, Éponine!"

I'll try to come up with more...add me to the list of those who thought Javert was saying something else in "One Day More".

Little Cozelma

Postby Little Cozelma » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:14 pm

Gervais wrote:
HopeForTheJust wrote:

If I remember right, it was pour faire douter un juste .(Thank you for your website, MmeBahorel). I never claimed that what I heard made sense, it was just my brain trying to turn it into something I could understand. :roll:

Now that we're talking about slashy Javert, what about these:
One day more to Revolution
We will nip it in the bu..
We'll be ready for these cool boys

They will wet themselves with blood

I was sure these couldn't be the actual lyrics, so I looked for the real ones. I didn't know the word schoolboys existed because I'm not a native speaker :) However, the problem continued when I heard the other version of the song:

One day more to Revolution
We will nip it in the bud (I still have no idea what that means)
I'll enjoy these little schoolboys
They will wet themselves with blood

Gervais

Postby Gervais » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:25 pm

I keep hearing "We will nip it in the butt" too, no matter how much I know it's not.

Although "I'll enjoy these little schoolboys" is a bit scarring. :shock:

"Nip it in the bud" basically means "Stop this from happening before it really happens," which doesn't exactly fit, but oh well.

Little Cozelma

Postby Little Cozelma » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:03 pm

Why scary? ^.^
And thank you! Les Mis is full of expressions like this or "he took my childhood in his stride" which is one of the few reasons it's fun to be a foreigner.. you must use your creative mind to guess the possible meanings.
The Confrontation has some easily misheard lyrics, too:
Before you say another word, Javert
Before you chain me, your black slave, again
This woman needs to find a suffering child...

Gervais

Postby Gervais » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:42 pm

"He took my childhood in his stride" is one that's a little up in the air for everyone. Personally I've been thinking the more sexual connotation, but I also spend 8 hours of every day with really immature teenagers (including myself). Unless you mean that you've already had an idea of what it meant and were just using it in a list... :oops: Sorry.

One from Empty Chairs:
Empty chairs at empty tables; woe, my friends will meet no more

Never said it made sense.

Return to “Les Misérables”