YouTube links

Any discussion related to any production or staging of Boublil and Schönberg's Les Misérables.
CC21106

Re: YouTube links

Postby CC21106 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:00 pm

23623 wrote:CC, he's not evil, he's CUTE! 8) Click the link below and there's an evil Javert for real, lol. Had been wondering if you have actually seen any London or Broadway Mis video when I was about to post this. I'm always posting all kinds of weird stuff and making bad influence on newbies, lol!

Bad influence, you? No waaay. But him cute?? :shock:

I am not sure if I've seen a video of London or Broadway. I've never seen it live at all, not so much as at a high school. If it comes to Fort Worth, Texas, sometime, I will go see it. Maybe even Dallas (rival city 40 miles east of here and you can tell it...full of Easterners... Fort Worth is "where the West begins" and full of cowboys ... "them Dallas folks wears their Sunday clothes every day").
Don't mess with Texas! We mess up enough by ourselves.
I have actually made bullets like they're doing in my avatar. Then loaded the gun with a ramrod, and shot it. But I'm not feeling real good about guns right now.

Postby 23623 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:11 am

CC21106 wrote:
23623 wrote:CC, he's not evil, he's CUTE! 8) Click the link below and there's an evil Javert for real, lol. Had been wondering if you have actually seen any London or Broadway Mis video when I was about to post this. I'm always posting all kinds of weird stuff and making bad influence on newbies, lol!

Bad influence, you? No waaay. But him cute?? :shock:

I am not sure if I've seen a video of London or Broadway. I've never seen it live at all, not so much as at a high school. If it comes to Fort Worth, Texas, sometime, I will go see it. Maybe even Dallas (rival city 40 miles east of here and you can tell it...full of Easterners... Fort Worth is "where the West begins" and full of cowboys ... "them Dallas folks wears their Sunday clothes every day").

Haha I mean his facial expression is kinda cute...
All other Javerts are like: :| or :x
But he's like: :shock: :| :roll: 8) :x
His neutral expression appears like sulking to me. And he reminds me of some humor cartoon characters whenever he rolls his eyes or stares at someone, lol.
You'll have the chance to see Les Mis one day. Just wait for the next US Tour! As for the bad influence...weeeeelll, I just really hope nobody picked the Baden video as their first exposure to Les Mis (yes, I'm still dwelling on killer Valjeans), or the open air one I posted yesterday, because OMG that Javert...
Revolution, but civilization

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:23 pm

Still in German but the Magdeburg production was outside and had really nice staging.

As far as just plain awful Javerts - Terrence Mann when he was seemingly drunk when he came back in 2003!

There was a production in Dallas quite recently, though it was modern dress. Seemed a bit weird to be honest! I'm sure it'll tour the US again soon though.
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

Postby 23623 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:24 pm

Acaila wrote:Still in German but the Magdeburg production was outside and had really nice staging.

Guess what...I've seen more foreign Mis videos than English ones, and half of them are in German.*shrugs* But I don't mind one more. :D *goes off to search Magdeburg Mis*

Acaila wrote:As far as just plain awful Javerts - Terrence Mann when he was seemingly drunk when he came back in 2003!

I think I've seen a video once...yep here it is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UC_mWQNiEBA

Acaila wrote:There was a production in Dallas quite recently, though it was modern dress. Seemed a bit weird to be honest! I'm sure it'll tour the US again soon though.

Only a bit weird? *facepalm*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3h38rT ... PwKUl7-8Qp
Discovered it that day when I was rambling about Valjean killing a soldier in some productions. Didn't watch the whole thing because I jumped directly to First Attack. Now this scene, which I never paid much attention before, has become my primary concern. With the modern costume the barricade part looks like an action/fighting video game. :shock:

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:09 am

I remember when I first got into fandom, everyone was nuts for the Duisburg production. I wonder how much of that was due to it being a quite widely available proshot video.
Certainly Germany has a bunch of varied productions for sure though!
Abaisse Chief/Chef

CC21106

Postby CC21106 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:22 am

23623 wrote:I just really hope nobody picked the Baden video as their first exposure to Les Mis (yes, I'm still dwelling on killer Valjeans), or the open air one I posted yesterday, because OMG that Javert...

That (outdoor) Javert? What was wrong with him aside from all that hair? Goodness why don't they wear their hair short like in the real 1832? It's not so different from now. That tied back business gets me.
I have actually made bullets like they're doing in my avatar. Then loaded the gun with a ramrod, and shot it. But I'm not feeling real good about guns right now.

Postby 23623 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:56 am

CC21106 wrote:
23623 wrote:I just really hope nobody picked the Baden video as their first exposure to Les Mis (yes, I'm still dwelling on killer Valjeans), or the open air one I posted yesterday, because OMG that Javert...

That (outdoor) Javert? What was wrong with him aside from all that hair? Goodness why don't they wear their hair short like in the real 1832? It's not so different from now. That tied back business gets me.

His actions after the barricade falls. That's the major reason. Usually Javert only wants to check if Valjean is among the bodies. After realizing that Valjean must have escaped, he discovers the entrance of the sewer. That's all. But in the video, right after he climbs up the barricade, he's SMILING at the dead bodies. He smiles again like a few seconds later. And this makes me feel so sick. Is he smiling because he thinks Valjean is dead, or because the schoolboys are dead? It's so out of character either way. Yes, Javert is stern, but he's not sadistic. He's not a vampire who smiles at the sight of bloodshed. :evil: Why can't he just keep a poker face, do the checking and be done with it. :roll: Also, his voice is terrible, and he even forgets his line once in Act 1.

As for the hairstyle though, I don't know what it was like in 19th century. Almost every Javert I've seen has long hair so I assume it should be the case (same as Valjean having short hair by default). I actually find short-haired Javert a bit strange because I'm so used to him with long hair. :mrgreen: But thank you for sharing the knowledge!

CC21106

Postby CC21106 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:27 am

23623 wrote:...His actions after the barricade falls. That's the major reason. Usually Javert only wants to check if Valjean is among the bodies. After realizing that Valjean must have escaped, he discovers the entrance of the sewer. That's all. But in the video, right after he climbs up the barricade, he's SMILING at the dead bodies. He smiles again like a few seconds later. And this makes me feel so sick...It's so out of character either way. Yes, Javert is stern, but he's not sadistic. ...

I went back and looked with the youtube enlarged to full screen and you're right, he's smiling in a peculiar way. The bit with him wiping blood off his hand was nice and graphic. His interaction with the dead bodies is in sharp contrast to Valjean's. They both checked them but Javert was -- gloating maybe you'd call it, whereas Valjean was frustrated and sad. I agree with what you said before about it:
In the end there was a moment when Valjean was like "Oh God forgive me, I failed to protect Gavroche, Enjolras, and these students!" ...oh Valjean, you're really an angel.

As for the hairstyle though, I don't know what it was like in 19th century.

Here's a good picture from Pinterest. https://www.pinterest.com/pin/458311699557315078/ It doesn't show the back, but you can tell it's practically all combed forward and there wouldn't be enough back there for a ponytail. Someone with extremely conservative tastes, like for the fashions of forty years previous (maybe an old man, picture an old hippie couple right now, I've seen 'em and it ain't pretty), might wear his hair tied back, but never fashionable or even ordinary young men. Here is a page with really-a-lot of pictures of 1830 hair. The coin with Louis Philippe's profile shows the lack of a ponytail. http://ellie-valsin.tumblr.com/post/114589876576/mens-hairstyles-ca-1830

Almost every Javert I've seen has long hair so I assume it should be the case (same as Valjean having short hair by default). I actually find short-haired Javert a bit strange because I'm so used to him with long hair. :mrgreen: But thank you for sharing the knowledge!
You're welcome! The only thing I can find in the book about his hair is "his hair concealed his forehead and fell over his eyebrows," meaning it was combed forward like everybody else, and although he didn't get it cut enough I don't believe he would wear it in a style that would call attention to himself.

I don't like movie-Javert's hair and beard. It isn't fierce enough and he hasn't got "enormous whiskers" meaning sideburns. As for Russell Crowe's round, basically pleasant face, just no way does it correspond to my mental image. This page is funny: https://hellotailor.blogspot.com/2013/02/les-miserables-seriously-javert.html "

CC21106

Postby CC21106 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:49 am

Also in the outdoor one I liked where E. was running around distracted finding that all his friends were dead, so he climbs up on the barricade to get himself shot waving the flag. Not like in the book, but very emotional.

Enjolras is the kind of person you probably don't want to associate with in real life, considering how his ideals got (almost) all his friends killed. I know a leader type. She won't do politics and it's probably a good thing.

Postby 23623 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:11 am

CC21106 wrote:Also in the outdoor one I liked where E. was running around distracted finding that all his friends were dead, so he climbs up on the barricade to get himself shot waving the flag. Not like in the book, but very emotional.

Enjolras is the kind of person you probably don't want to associate with in real life, considering how his ideals got (almost) all his friends killed. I know a leader type. She won't do politics and it's probably a good thing.

Aaah CC, I totally agree with you. Yes I love it when Enjy finds that all the other amis are dead. Never saw it in other productions! Valjean checking other amis instead of going straight to Marius isn't new though. But I really like it. :D

As for book Enjolras that's one of the reasons why I don't like him much, Mabeuf and that soldier's death aside. He has some good qualities in him, but he wouldn't be my first choice of friendship if he was a real person. I would happily befriend Courfeyrac or even Marius if they existed in my life, but Enjolras? :?: In the musical he's much more likeable though because his shortcomings in the book are mostly omitted.

And thank you for the links! God there's a lot I need to learn. When I read the book I overlooked a lot of (imo) trivial details like characters' age and physical appearance. I actually feel kinda proud of myself for remembering Javert is 52. :lol: As for history, I'm still working on French Revolution. 40 years to go before I get to 1830. :(

CC21106

Postby CC21106 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:32 pm

Acaila wrote:There was a production in Dallas quite recently, though it was modern dress. Seemed a bit weird to be honest! I'm sure it'll tour the US again soon though.

Rats, I wasn't into LM when that came by so it was off my radar. But the modern dress must have seemed strange. For one thing, Éponine putting on pants wouldn't be unusual at all. She would be instantly recognizable trousers or no.

CC21106

Postby CC21106 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:49 pm

23623 wrote: Valjean checking other amis instead of going straight to Marius isn't new though. But I really like it. :D

I like it how he's surprised and excited when Marius moves and coughs, instead of just listening to his heart to check as I've seen elsewhere (they are all running together now).

23623 wrote:As for book Enjolras that's one of the reasons why I don't like him much, Mabeuf and that soldier's death aside. He has some good qualities in him, but he wouldn't be my first choice of friendship if he was a real person. I would happily befriend Courfeyrac or even Marius if they existed in my life, but Enjolras? :?: In the musical he's much more likeable though because his shortcomings in the book are mostly omitted.

He's supposed to have so much charisma in the book that he convinces 30 people to stay and DIE and has to force 5 to leave. That's over the top. I need to go back and re-read.

And thank you for the links! God there's a lot I need to learn. When I read the book I overlooked a lot of (imo) trivial details like characters' age and physical appearance. I actually feel kinda proud of myself for remembering Javert is 52. :lol: As for history, I'm still working on French Revolution. 40 years to go before I get to 1830. :(

I think I'd really get along with Combeferre.

Javert 52? I'd forgotten that. OIC, that was for some reason on his identity card. Ctrl-F is very useful.

History: I'm very weak between 1795 and 1830. The Napoleonic era, important as it was, I know nearly nothing about. Time for Wikipedia! For the French Revolution, I learned what I know from "The French Revolution" by Thomas Carlyle.

You're welcome about the links. I like to look stuff up. I need to learn a ton of stuff too. I never knew that getting into LM would be so educational.

Postby 23623 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:44 am

Apologize if this has been linked before, and I'm really sorry this isn't anything new. You experts must have seen it already. But in case you're one of the very few people who haven't seen it yet (like me), click it!!!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 2118DB782A

I confess...I sometimes do video hunt for very silly reasons. I've watched three Hungarian casts just to find that "2460AAAH", and I decided to watch this video because...well, I heard that an audience got really upset about having an understudy Valjean after hearing the announcement. But this Valjean is actually quite impressive!! I've only watched a small part of Act 1 (watched the Prologue twice; now I'm at Master of the House) and he already wins me. I'm positive he's going to be one of my favorite Valjeans. :D

Finished the video skipping most of Marius, Éponine and Enjolras' parts. This Enjolras should never play any role in Les Mis. Never. :evil:
I LOVE the way Jacobsen sings "I know the meaning of those 19 years" (with a sarcastic smirk on his face) and "they're the guilty, everyone". I watched the Prologue again (the third time tonight) because I looove it. Wish there was a video of his Soliloquy...this is something I must see now. I also like how he sings "when I have come so far and struggled for so long". Makes me want to hug him and say "tell you what, you really don't have to confess, there must be other ways!"
But...he totally sucks in BHH. Ugh, is "my favorite JVJs can't sing BHH" part of the Law now?
Funny thing: at the end of "First Attack", a guy shouts "they retreated" but it sounds really like "you're a traitor". I know the lyrics, but I still heard that, lol.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:13 pm

He is such a good Valjean. He doesn't seem to have done anything much the last year or two which is ridiculous!
Also, that Enjolras also did Marius in London. He was pretty bad then too.
Abaisse Chief/Chef

singleton

Postby singleton » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:17 am

An clip of the original Japanese production of LM. It mainly follows Gavroche around, as he gets collared by various cast members (starting with Goro Noguchi's Marius). I think that's Takeshi Kaga practicing his scales. Also speaking are Ran Otori (Mdm Thenardier), Sakae Takita (the other Valjean/Javert) and Kaho Shimada.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAddVrvFuhE&t=62s

Return to “Les Misérables”