YouTube links

Any discussion related to any production or staging of Boublil and Schönberg's Les Misérables.
Acaila

Re: YouTube links

Postby Acaila » Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:37 pm

I quite like that he was worried about forgetting the loud hailer bits! He could even have the words in front of him if need be! Bless!
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

Postby 23623 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:48 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sgXAFTkZ40
:D :D :D

I KNOW he must have done Les Mis in Argentina!
Revolution, but civilization

Postby 23623 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:44 am

Les Mis Israel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiZwEdtEBig

Just finished Act 1. Not really capable of coherence now. More to come tomorrow (hope I have time to finish Act 2).

OMG. That Valjean. Is he the famous Dudu Fisher?? I mean, it doesn't matter even if he isn't. He's really amazing. Exactly my favorite type. *adds to favorite Valjeans list*

This Fantine is the first stage Fantine whose acting actually convinces me. I like her version of IDAD. A LOT. I know some people might prefer it, but I really don't want Fantine to be Enjolras no.2 who's going to start a revolution against each and every unfaithful man in this world. But most of English Fantines I've seen do that in IDAD, and it becomes even more...unbearable if the actress overacts (looking at you, Lea).

It didn't occur to me before, but I guess the 2012 movie might have played a part in forming my preference for Valjean and Fantine. I'm totally aware that my liking for cute little Eppies definitely comes from the movie. But I also like really badass Valjeans and really poor, miserable Fantines (does it count as guilty pleasure too?) Hmm...maybe I should have picked something else as my introduction to this fandom? :mrgreen:

I can totally see the Javert playing Thenardier. His facial expression is just priceless. It's kinda cute though. :lol:

*EDIT* Finished Act 2. Still not capable of coherence.
What I write here probably won't make much sense because I'm dying of Javert cuteness now. *checks pulse* Yes I'm officially dead. That guy is the CUTEST Javert I've ever seen. Yes you read it correct. Cutest. Javert. I was literally thinking "no please don't kill yourself you're too cute to die" before his last soliloquy. I know he's trying to be serious, but at some points he really seems like a sulking little kid to me. :shock: Also the way he sings "I have overheard their plans...from the right" made me laugh so hard that I guess the entire campus would hear me, lol.

There are some times when I actually prefer seeing Santa Valjeans. Example: BHH. In the video the guy was smiling when he sang the first "bring him home, bring him home", and suddenly he was like "look what you've done to the poor lad, it's all your fault that he's suffering!" :shock: It's possible that the lyrics do mean it though...but anyway, I find it kinda weird.

I like this version of Turning. :D

CC21106

Postby CC21106 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:58 pm

Thanks for posting that link, 23623. It's fascinating to see the different productions. Now I have to find a couple of free hours to watch it in...
Don't mess with Texas! We mess up enough by ourselves.
I have actually made bullets like they're doing in my avatar. Then loaded the gun with a ramrod, and shot it. But I'm not feeling real good about guns right now.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:23 pm

Yep that's Uncle Dudu! :D
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Postby 23623 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:30 pm

Les Mis Hungarian (1987): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BtSsCp8kBc

I finally found it. Jump to "Who am I". THERE IT IS!!! You know what I mean. :mrgreen:

Prisoner 24653

Postby Prisoner 24653 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:31 pm

Ahh yes, Vikidál Gyula is certainly priceless. Apparently, he went on to play Javert and then the Bishop in later productions. A part of me is hoping he found a way to work that epic scream into those performances, as well, because I'm terrible. :lol: (It could work for Javert's jump off the bridge... but doing it as the Bishop would be all kinds of wrong. But awesome. :twisted: )

I love the Israeli cast album, but somehow hadn't looked up video clips of it. Awesome find! :D

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:05 pm

Prisoner 24653 wrote:(It could work for Javert's jump off the bridge... but doing it as the Bishop would be all kinds of wrong. But awesome. :twisted: )

Haha, I had this same exact thought as I was reading what you'd written and was like damn, beat me to it!
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Postby 23623 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:42 pm

OMG yes! He should totally do that in Suicide! But hey, we've already got an English equivalent here. 8)

Let's see if I can find anything of Vikidál Gyula as Javert...
OK, here's Vikidál Gyula singing Stars. 8) It's a concert version though, no luck finding live performance videos. No Suicide either. Don't understand a single word of Hungarian so I had to click every video to check what it is. I'd appreciate it if someone could help with video hunt. :D

And Havvy, I like your new avatar. It's so cute! Wondering how I can do the same thing to mine, lol...

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:21 am

23623 wrote:And Havvy, I like your new avatar. It's so cute! Wondering how I can do the same thing to mine, lol...

Ask and ye shall receive!

"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Postby 23623 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:08 am

deHavilland wrote:
23623 wrote:And Havvy, I like your new avatar. It's so cute! Wondering how I can do the same thing to mine, lol...

Ask and ye shall receive!

Haaaavvvyy ICH LIEBE DICH!! <3

Because I need an excuse to post this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKrqo6at_X8
Acaila wrote:Exactly! :D Enrique del Portal went from Enjolras in the original Spanish cast to Thenardier in the revival so I guess there is precedent, but still :D He's a great actor though so I imagine him being fabulous at it. I really hope there's a video!

...not really from the original cast, but good enough as a substitute. :wink:
My first reaction was actually...isn't he too short to be Enjolras??
And for comparison: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98oej4BmvhY

Now, what I really intend to do is promoting the Javert and Marius. 8) I LOVE Geronimo Rauch, but I prefer the 1993 Spanish cast to the revival as a whole because their Javert and Marius are so adorable. They totally steal the show. Marius sounds really like Michael Ball. You'll like him too if you like Ball! :D Quite surprised to see everybody bashing Javert in the comments though. He's my 2nd favorite Javert, taking a back seat only to Quast. But no one actually explains why they hate him. Poor guy, what have you done to annoy them so much? :?:

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:38 am

I'm certain there's a video of King Vikidal and I thought it was on Youtube, at least previously. 1987 I think? (I could go and check but I'm just in from watching my little darlings at the theatre and just navigating my few hundred Chrome tabs is too much for me right now!)
Abaisse Chief/Chef

CC21106

Postby CC21106 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:31 am

Watching.... That's one eeevil looking Javert, and Jean Valjean looks like he really could lift up a wagon, and Thenardier is excellently scummy.
Don't mess with Texas! We mess up enough by ourselves.
I have actually made bullets like they're doing in my avatar. Then loaded the gun with a ramrod, and shot it. But I'm not feeling real good about guns right now.

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:27 am

Acaila wrote:I'm certain there's a video of King Vikidal and I thought it was on Youtube, at least previously. 1987 I think? (I could go and check but I'm just in from watching my little darlings at the theatre and just navigating my few hundred Chrome tabs is too much for me right now!)

Indeed: Act I and Act II.

And for those who want to skip to the good bit, it's at 36:11.

Postby 23623 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:00 am

CC, he's not evil, he's CUTE! 8) Click the link below and there's an evil Javert for real, lol. Had been wondering if you have actually seen any London or Broadway Mis video when I was about to post this. I'm always posting all kinds of weird stuff and making bad influence on newbies, lol!

Sorry for interrupting the Vikidal appreciation but really want to share this. :oops:

...because OMG open air Les Mis is actually very COOL! :shock: Is there anything similar in English? I'd love to see it if there is!
(The link's several pages back in this thread I think. Thank you very much for sharing this, Auf die Barrikaden!)

Plot-wise, my favorite part is from Gavroche's death to Valjean and Marius' escape. Really very well done. I like it that they got Gavroche's body back as in the book. Valjean was like "if I had gone myself I could have saved this boy!" :cry: And before his death, Enjolras went to check the other amis, only to find them all dead (kinda like in the book, there's only him and R left in the end). I actually detected a flash of despair at that moment. He was ready to die but then Valjean shouted something at him (any German speaker here who can help me with that line? Danke!!) ...I guess he wanted to tell Enjolras to come back, as a last attempt to save him? In the end there was a moment when Valjean was like "Oh God forgive me, I failed to protect Gavroche, Enjolras, and these students!" ...oh Valjean, you're really an angel. And I lol-ed when Valjean literally lifted up the cover of a well(?) and climbed in with Marius. Wow guys...are you seriously going to do it in the sewer?

This Javert was truly the color of despair. His singing was terrible, and his acting was even worse. His...sadistic...actions (I can't find a better way to word it...you've been warned) after the barricade fell made me feel SO SICK!! Can I have Christian Müller back please? :cry: It would have been great too if they had found someone else to play Valjean and let us have some sassy Javert. :wink:

Fun fact for those who know Tanz der Vampire: so after the revolution failed, Grantaire found himself a job as a vampire study professor in Berlin. Yes, the actor played Professor Abronsius in TdV. Still can't process this fact even after watching the whole thing. It's just as epic as Enrique's priceless Enjolras-to-Thenardier transformation, lol!

Return to “Les Misérables”