Details on the 1980 Paris production

Any discussion related to any production or staging of Boublil and Schönberg's Les Misérables.
sophiedegrouchy

Re: Details on the 1980 Paris production

Postby sophiedegrouchy » Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:15 pm

I want to spend some time with the soundboard before I make any substantive comments on your fantastic analysis, Marianne, but as a side comment regarding the discussion of ALFOR - I always got the sense that, somewhere in the process of translation, someone looked at the OFC's "Ce n'est rien" and thought, "Rien? Sounds a bit like rain! She can die singing about the rain! Let's do this!" leaving the rest of us to cry and cry.

Ulkis

Postby Ulkis » Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:36 pm

"Ce n'est rien" and thought, "Rien? Sounds a bit like rain! She can die singing about the rain! Let's do this!" leaving the rest of us to cry and cry.

Ha! I don't put it beyond the realm of impossibility. Too bad they couldn't find a way to work in "I think I was a little bit in love with you" as the last line.

Swamp Adder, welcome!

Although I don't know if I like the line about ingratitude being a law of nature, unless he is actually is referring to nature itself and not the ingratitude of Marius and Cosette.

Well, it is a paraphrase from the Brick:

Yes, but I think it's one thing for the narration to say it and another for Valjean to say it. But maybe it just comes off harsher to me than it actually does.

santsprz

Postby santsprz » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:51 am

Is the 1980 production more similar to the original London production than what it is today?

Ulkis

Postby Ulkis » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:21 pm

Yes, although the original London show has more in common with the current show than the 1980 show, imo.

PureDiamondLight

Postby PureDiamondLight » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:12 pm

The thing with the original Paris production (from what I know, which is, admittedly, limited) is that it was performed in a huge stadium. the "tableaus" would each happen at a different point around the stadium and the audience would walk around to view each scene.

The Bishop sequence wasn't in the original French because (apparently) everyone in France already knew that part (like in england we all know the story of robin hood) so it was considered unnecessary.

Also, apparently the original Barbican production was four hours long and involved a 20-minute long sequence of Javert tracking Valjean and Cosette around Paris. Eventually JVJ climbed over a high wall wall carrying Cosette, who dropped her doll on the way up. Javert came along and picked up the doll, thus discovering that JVJ and Cosette were still in Paris. I think that sounds pretty awesome.

Bring Him Home was apparently added because the directors were having trouble finding a Valjean who didn't mind having a part that was very intense but didn't have any actual songs.

And may I also say how much I love the "Lamarque est mort" section in the OFC being accompanied by funky samba rhythm? I'm getting mindpictures of Enjolras hip-wiggling with the Amis. Hilarious.

Ulkis

Postby Ulkis » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:03 pm

Bring Him Home was apparently added because the directors were having trouble finding a Valjean who didn't mind having a part that was very intense but didn't have any actual songs.

The actors didn't count What Have I Done and Who am I? as actual songs? Weird.

Usefulbeauty

Postby Usefulbeauty » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:08 pm

PureDiamondLight wrote:The thing with the original Paris production (from what I know, which is, admittedly, limited) is that it was performed in a huge stadium. the "tableaus" would each happen at a different point around the stadium and the audience would walk around to view each scene.

The Bishop sequence wasn't in the original French because (apparently) everyone in France already knew that part (like in england we all know the story of robin hood) so it was considered unnecessary.

Also, apparently the original Barbican production was four hours long and involved a 20-minute long sequence of Javert tracking Valjean and Cosette around Paris. Eventually JVJ climbed over a high wall wall carrying Cosette, who dropped her doll on the way up. Javert came along and picked up the doll, thus discovering that JVJ and Cosette were still in Paris. I think that sounds pretty awesome.

And may I also say how much I love the "Lamarque est mort" section in the OFC being accompanied by funky samba rhythm? I'm getting mindpictures of Enjolras hip-wiggling with the Amis. Hilarious.

XD I'm really amused by the Bishop thing. I don't know why I find that so cute, but I do.
Daaaang, 20 minute long chase scene? That's pretty amazing. I can't imagine how that would work, set-wise, though.
I am also a fan of Enjolras always singing, "Lamarque est mort". I think I was listening to La Nuit De L'Angoisse on Youtube, and Feuilly and Combeferre were singing this beautiful, sad tune, and then Enjolras burst in like, "ALLONS, LAMARQUE EST MORT. CUE FUNKY MUSIC." I couldn't help but think, "Enjolras, we've established this fact."
Let us read and let us dance--two amusements that will never do any harm to the world.
- Voltaire

PureDiamondLight

Postby PureDiamondLight » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:38 am

Usefulbeauty wrote:Daaaang, 20 minute long chase scene? That's pretty amazing. I can't imagine how that would work, set-wise, though.

I am lead to believe that the revolves were heavily involved.

I am also a fan of Enjolras always singing, "Lamarque est mort". I think I was listening to La Nuit De L'Angoisse on Youtube, and Feuilly and Combeferre were singing this beautiful, sad tune, and then Enjolras burst in like, "ALLONS, LAMARQUE EST MORT. CUE FUNKY MUSIC." I couldn't help but think, "Enjolras, we've established this fact."

Hahahaha. :lol:
I still have trouble aligning "serious revolutionaries" with bootylicious samba music in my head. Maybe that's just me, though ;)

Auf die Barrikaden

Postby Auf die Barrikaden » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:49 pm

PureDiamondLight wrote:
Usefulbeauty wrote:Daaaang, 20 minute long chase scene? That's pretty amazing. I can't imagine how that would work, set-wise, though.

I am lead to believe that the revolves were heavily involved.

The Barbican preview bootleg reveals soundwise that between "Waltz" and "Stars"(which is sung before the "Look Down" reprise) there is some dramatic music being played and noise on stage. Also there is no "Come Cosette, come my dear" dialogue and Stars starts off quite suddenly which to me are hints for a tape flip and therefore lost time. I wouldn't say 20 minutes but it's probably longer than the few seconds which can be heard on that recording at least. Still the chase sequence remains a mystery to me. But the image of Javert holding Cosette's doll while beginning to sing "Stars" is quite striking IMO.
Resident Les Miz prop expert and collector
Non licet omnibus adire Corinthum
Former Roles: Jesus (Jesus Christ Superstar), Dr Orin Scrivello (Little Shop of Horrors), Ensemble Cameo (Fame)

Auf die Barrikaden

Postby Auf die Barrikaden » Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:15 pm

FIND OF THE DAY!!

The whole 1980 production brochure, with photos, cast, orchestra, songs and synopsis...I love this internet!!

http://operette.forumactif.org/t1182-pr ... ports-1980

And one more from the origin:
http://a2.ec-images.myspacecdn.com/imag ... 63a9/l.jpg

Hossein was really into chains for every scene and every actor. :shock:
Former Roles: Jesus (Jesus Christ Superstar), Dr Orin Scrivello (Little Shop of Horrors), Ensemble Cameo (Fame)

YoungStudentMarius

Postby YoungStudentMarius » Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:37 pm

That is...That is...Beyond awesome!!! Wow! They even have pictures of then orchestra!!!! This is so cool! Thanks, Auf die Barrikaden!

Um...Have you guys seen this before? I just kind of found it. It's lyrics to the 1980 French Production. They match up with a couple soundboard recordings I heard on youtube.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4k3x5njjfhbnnhq/Les%20Misérables%20-%201980.pdf

It won't be clickable for me. You'll have to copy and paste. If you just click on the first part that has turned into a link, it says, "error, file not found."
Last edited by YoungStudentMarius on Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:11 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Our chimeras are the things which most resemble us. Each of us dreams of the unknown and the impossible in accordance with his nature.

Auf die Barrikaden

Postby Auf die Barrikaden » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:16 pm

Holy...the whole original libretto!! AWESOME.

Trompe-la-Mort

Postby Trompe-la-Mort » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:22 pm

@Auf die Barrikaden: You amaze me once again!

@youngStudentMarius: I think the é is the problem. It should work if you replace it with %E9
Dark sarcasm ought to be taught at schools!

YoungStudentMarius

Postby YoungStudentMarius » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:36 pm

Thanks Trompe-la-Mort, but it still won't work. Maybe I'm just bad with technology. It like completely changes the link into something else with an ellipses in the middle if I do that. I changed it back to how it was before. I guess we'll have to be old fashioned. :(

P.S. Trompe-la-Mort- The soundboard recordings I heard on Youtube were submitted by a user with the same name as you. Since its not very common of a username, I can assume it's you, right? If so, where did you get them? And where can I find them? And...just maybe, do you have more?

In fact, does anyone know where I can get a full audio of this production? I love it so much... Do any of you have it?
Our chimeras are the things which most resemble us. Each of us dreams of the unknown and the impossible in accordance with his nature.

Auf die Barrikaden

Postby Auf die Barrikaden » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:02 pm

A try at fixing:
Link to the 1980 libretto

edit: Works.

@nickname of a famous french tank: Thanks, you're too sweet! ;) Oh I forgot I found another Gavroche pic of the Paris production: http://www.bluegobo.com/production/2897 ... /181235174

Return to “Les Misérables”