Roles You'd Love To See Miz Cast Members Play?

Any discussion related to any production or staging of Boublil and Schönberg's Les Misérables.
Gervais

Re: Roles You'd Love To See Miz Cast Members Play?

Postby Gervais » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:33 pm

Michael Ball- The Phantom: CHECK. Raoul: ???

He has played Raoul. :mrgreen: http://theatre-musical.com/phantom/raoul/ball.html I don't think he's played the Phantom, though...I'd like to see if he could, actually.

"The peas, Woyzeck. The PEAS."

CosetteMari

Postby CosetteMari » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:46 pm

Gervais wrote:

He has played Raoul. :mrgreen: http://theatre-musical.com/phantom/raoul/ball.html I don't think he's played the Phantom, though...I'd like to see if he could, actually.

Oh, thanks! Now, I'm wondering if Maguire can play Raoul like Ball! :D
Whenever I see either Roy, 'Pony, Enjy, Mari, Fantine, Comb, Couf, Jehan, Joly, and Gav, I fangirl... too much. (Do you guys know who Roy is? Well, if you barricaders go online to the new performers, you might know... :D)

Prisoner 24653

Postby Prisoner 24653 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:57 pm

CosetteMari wrote:
Gervais wrote:

Oh, thanks! Now, I'm wondering if Maguire can play Raoul like Ball! :D

Back in the late 80s/early 90s, I think Maguire could have been a good Raoul. Now, of course, he'd be too old (even if he were still in musical theatre)... and having heard his "Music of the Night," I'm not convinced he could have pulled off the Phantom. Maybe with a lot of guidance from a good director...

I agree with those who would like to see Michael Ball play the Phantom (which, yes, hasn't happened yet, though he's done the title song and "Music of the Night" on one of his solo albums).

I would love to see Quasty as the Phantom and Sweeney Todd. I would have also liked to see Roger Allam play Sweeney at some point; that could have been really cool.

CosetteMari

Postby CosetteMari » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:55 am

I haven't heard his "Music of the Night" so, yeah. I just hope that someday the Miz would come to my country and I thought of a role that I will be BEGGING Quast to play: The Bishop. :D
Whenever I see either Roy, 'Pony, Enjy, Mari, Fantine, Comb, Couf, Jehan, Joly, and Gav, I fangirl... too much. (Do you guys know who Roy is? Well, if you barricaders go online to the new performers, you might know... :D)

HallowGhost2774

Postby HallowGhost2774 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:06 pm

On the Quast train of thought, I'd love to see him as Pilate in JCS because he's got that awesome stage presence and power in his voice that just commands authority and respect. Although to be honest, I'd see a show with him in pretty much any role :)

Prisoner 24653

Postby Prisoner 24653 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:16 am

Kiyotaka Imai (who featured in two Japanese cast albums of LM, as Javert in the 1994 Blue album and Valjean in the 2003 Violet one) has played quite a few other great roles -- the Beast in Beauty and the Beast, the Phantom in POTO, Percy in Scarlet Pimpernel, and others. I'd love it if he were to play Krolock in Tanz der Vampire, Dracula in Wildhorn's musical version, the title roles in Jekyll & Hyde, Sweeney or the Judge in Sweeney Todd, Scar in The Lion King, or Claude Frollo in Disney's Hunchback of Notre Dame whenever they get around to trying that onstage again. (Amusingly, he voiced Victor the gargoyle in the Japanese dub of the film.) :D

Postby 23623 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:50 am

Prisoner 24653 wrote: And if the show is ever done in English (or if these actors start performing shows in other languages), I'd be interested in seeing Ramin Karimloo or Tam Mutu as Der Tod, perhaps with Sierra Boggess as Elisabeth (ignoring the shipping craze or possible facepalming from Phans that would go on if that happened).

I remember hearing from Chris Murray that when he auditioned for the German cast of The Scarlet Pimpernel, he was actually hoping to be cast as Percy, but wound up as Chauvelin instead. I adore his Chauvelin, but would be really interested to hear him as Percy. And I really want to see Tony Crivello as Chauvelin. (I actually talked to him about it after seeing him in POTO, and I think I piqued his interest a bit... so maybe someday if a new Broadway or US Tour production of Pimpernel happens!)

I really hope Sierra can play Elisabeth someday. I think she can handle the emotional changes well and is physically convincing (yes I'm suddenly thinking about Maya here). Her young Elisabeth would be very cute! I'm not so sure about Ramin as Der Tod because he tends to overact. I'm OK with overacting Elisabeth but not overacting Der Tod. And N2N gives me the impression that Aaron Tveit can be a good Der Tod :wink:
Chris Murray as Chauvelin = The best thing since I discovered SP. I can watch his Falcon in the Dive for days. Guess I should blame it on first impression that I find it a bit hard to imagine him as Percy. Apart from SP I have only watched a video of him as Valjean. I'd like to see him play Javert (please!), Der Tod or Von Krolock. If anyone knows that he has played or is going to play these roles, please tell me and it will make my day :D

CosetteMari wrote:Colm Wilkinson- I'm happy he played the Phantom, and then I suddenly thought of him as Archibald from the Secret Garden... (I have the worst imagination EVER)

Philip Quast- PLEASE PLAY SWEENY TODD!!! I was so bored and I was thinking of Sweeny... so, and like, Colm: I beg you to play Erik!!! Please!!!!

Personally I don't like Colm's phantom, but Colm as Archie ... oh my God definitely! I'm so glad that you share the same "worst imagination ever" with me and I want to hug you.
And yes Quast as Sweeney and phantom! I guess this has already become a consensus of this thread :lol:
It is said that when Quast auditioned for Les Mis he was going for Enjolras but instead got Javert because he couldn't sing DYHTPS properly. I saw it somewhere (sorry can't remember the source) a long time ago and once wondered what it would be like to cast Quast as Enjolras and Warlow as Javert.
Last edited by 23623 on Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Revolution, but civilization

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:08 pm

Warlowvert....now there is an idea :shock:
Alas, he's probably too much of a big deal for the part, but I'd love to see it. (in a similar vein, Chauvelin in Scarlet Pimpernel, because I'd love to hear him sing Falcon in the Dive)

One I've said for ages - Mark Uhre from the Toronto production as Percy in The Scarlet Pimpernel.
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

Prisoner 24653

Postby Prisoner 24653 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:01 pm

_23623_ wrote:...And N2N gives me the impression that Aaron Tveit can be a good Der Tod :wink:
Chris Murray as Chauvelin = The best thing since I discovered SP. I can watch his Falcon in the Dive for days. Guess I should blame it on first impression that I find it a bit hard to imagine him as Percy. Apart from SP I have only watched a video of him as Valjean. I'd like to see him play Javert (please!), Der Tod or Von Krolock. If anyone knows that he has played or is going to play these roles, please tell me and it will make my day :D

Ooooh, Aaron Tveit as Der Tod would be interesting to see. I do have an audio of Chris Murray as Javert in Berlin, and YouTube has clips of him in the role from that production and one or two regional ones. Sadly, he hasn't played Der Tod or Von Krolock (yet), but he has recorded their songs for a solo album. :mrgreen:

Anthony Warlow has recorded "Stars" for an album, and it sounded quite good. (Not sure if it's just me, but I thought he sounded fairly Quast-like there.)

I just had an interesting thought -- Warlow as John Wilkes Booth in Assassins. Somehow, I can imagine him pulling off the Southern US accent; and he can certainly sing and act the part. (I never expected him to play Tevye in Fiddler, but he sounds awesome in the role! :D )

I'd also really like to see Christian Müller (former Marius, Enjolras, and Javert in Germany) play the title roles in Jekyll & Hyde.

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:31 pm

_23623_ wrote:It is said that when Quast auditioned for Les Mis he was going for Enjolras but instead got Javert because he couldn't sing DYHTPS properly. I saw it somewhere (sorry can't remember the source) a long time ago and once wondered what it would be like to cast Quast as Enjolras and Warlow as Javert.

There's a nice little blurb about it in the recent Les Mis Stage to Screen book: "Quast’s original audition for Les Mis in 1987, actually for the role of Enjolras, was at first comically unpromising. As he remembered it, he could not hit the right note in “Do You Hear the People Sing?”, said he was terribly sorry, tried again and cracked again. He was, he said, so embarrassed that he grabbed the music, and, uttering the odd four-letter word, told Schönberg and Mackintosh that if they wanted to know how high he could sing they should have given him scales— “and I turned fast, nastily and viciously, and as I left the room Cameron said, ‘Javert!’."

Acaila having said Mark Uhre for Percy at least a year ago now has led to a year of me dying for this to come into fruition. It's one of my favorite bits of casting speculation and having seen him play Vittorio Vidal in Sweet Charity at Shaw last year, it just reaffirms the belief that he'd be spectacular.

I agree, never thought I'd see Warlow play Tevye -- but it is pretty good! (If oddly hollow just knowing that maybe it would have been better to cast someone who is actually Jewish instead of someone who can caricaturize it well. But this argument comes up every time they remount Fiddler.)

I would have liked to see either Warlow or Quast play Mr. Rochester in the Jane Eyre musical, because of its nice, rich baritone. But that will never happen.
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Postby 23623 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:18 am

Wow so much has happened in just one night :o
Acaila wrote:One I've said for ages - Mark Uhre from the Toronto production as Percy in The Scarlet Pimpernel.

Actually I tried but found it hard to imagine anyone I’ve seen in Les Mis as Percy. I guess the reason is that I always consider Percy as a combination of Marius, Enjolras and Thenardier (the comic part only) … which is strange, I know.

I think I should check this Mark Uhre out (to correct my understanding of Percy hopefully). I’ve never heard of him before. Does he play any of the 3 aforementioned roles in Les Mis?

Prisoner 24653 wrote:I do have an audio of Chris Murray as Javert in Berlin, and YouTube has clips of him in the role from that production and one or two regional ones. Sadly, he hasn't played Der Tod or Von Krolock (yet), but he has recorded their songs for a solo album. :mrgreen:

Anthony Warlow has recorded "Stars" for an album, and it sounded quite good. (Not sure if it's just me, but I thought he sounded fairly Quast-like there.)

I'd also really like to see Christian Müller (former Marius, Enjolras, and Javert in Germany) play the title roles in Jekyll & Hyde.

Prisoner 24653, you make my day! I never like any Von Krolock besides Steve Barton. Some actors just perform Die unstillbare Gier in a way I can't accept at all. But I have confidence in Murray. I don't think he'll disappoint me. :wink:

I've seen Müller as Javert in same video I've mentioned last time (actually it is my favorite Les Mis bootleg) but I don't know he has also played Marius and Enjolras. Now I'm very very curious. :) I'd like to see both Murray and Müller as J/H and Warlow *actually play* J/H.

Warlow has recorded Stars for an album? Must check it out! And you are not alone about him being Quast-like. I think he sounds Quast-like all the time. I listened to Lily's Eyes for the first time on his album (which introduced me into Secret Garden) and had a difficult time telling him and Quast apart.

deHavilland wrote:There's a nice little blurb about it in the recent Les Mis Stage to Screen book: "Quast’s original audition for Les Mis in 1987, actually for the role of Enjolras, was at first comically unpromising. As he remembered it, he could not hit the right note in “Do You Hear the People Sing?”, said he was terribly sorry, tried again and cracked again. He was, he said, so embarrassed that he grabbed the music, and, uttering the odd four-letter word, told Schönberg and Mackintosh that if they wanted to know how high he could sing they should have given him scales— “and I turned fast, nastily and viciously, and as I left the room Cameron said, ‘Javert!’."

Why are you always this wonderful Havvy? I think this was exactly where I saw it! Thank you for the source.

My God ... I just realize that I can make a list of "Roles I'd Love To See Anthony Warlow Play". Please bear with my terrible imagination.
-Jekyll/Hyde. "This is the moment" on his album introduced me into this musical.
-Anatoly. His version of Anthem introduced me into Chess. He has really introduced me into a lot of things. :lol:
-Javert. With Quast as Enjy.
-Dr. Craven. With Quast as Archie. Though I don't really like the Secret Garden OLC.
-Chauvelin. Chauvelin basically has all the great songs in SP imo.
-Von Krolock. Emmm... this is highly unlikely.
-Raoul or Anthony Hope. If only he were 25.

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:06 am

Mark Uhre played Enjolras for the duration of the recent 2013 - 2014 Toronto production. I have video that I can stream for you if you're ever interested in watching, because I loooove me some Mark. (But here's his Lamarque is Dead, for reference. He's not entirely dissimilar to Douglas Sills in appearance and tone, so I think that's half the reason we want to see him play Percy. And he'd be brilliant at it, of course. That, too.)

And Anthony Warlow's Stars, while we're at it. Lovely and not unlike Quast.

The trouble with a Warlow!vert is that I don't know who I'd want to see play Valjean opposite him... I don't know that the dynamic would be quite right between Warlow and John Owen-Jones, for example. Any thoughts?
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Postby 23623 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:21 pm

Havvy, your awesomeness is making me lazier and lazier. I used to search for everything by myself but now I feel quite comfortable just waiting for your links :P

I know it's silly to ask but what does 'stream a video' mean? I don't know if it's due to my addiction to the German SP that I almost forget how Sills sounds on the OBC (need to listen to it more!) but your audio does remind me of Into the Fire. I am quite interested in that video. Could you please 'stream' it? Thank you!

Warlow doesn't sound as harsh as Quast but his Stars is amazing as well. Judging from that, is it possible that Warlow could be a more...gentle Javert? Would he start doubting himself earlier? (I'm not sure if that's OOC though) Btw their voices are indeed similar and sometimes I can only rely on accents to distinguish them.

I also have trouble finding him a Valjean, probably because I don't know a lot of actors. I think JOJ sounds too young for Valjean but the video I watched was from the 90s so maybe he's old enough now. I'm also waiting for Valjean nominations and check out whoever mentioned to expand my knowledge :)

Another idea that just came up to me: I'm listening to OFC while writing this and I suddenly want to see OFC Marius as Anthony Hope...

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:31 am

Streaming is when you watch a video online without downloading it, so on my livestream site, I can hook up my laptop screen to the internet so that people who visit the site can watch the video at the same time as I'm playing it on my computer. Just let me know when you have a couple hours to watch the video (or some of it) and I can definitely get things going and invite some other people to come watch, too.

Have you seen anything of Jodge since the 90's? He's been playing Valjean off and on for the past decade.

Postby 23623 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:57 pm

It's the first time that I insert links in my post so if I've done anything wrong (copyright issues, violation of forum rules, etc.) please feel free to remove them and inform me!

I just searched Murray videos on Youtube and I have the same feeling as 3 years ago when I found that Anthony Warlow exists. I try my best not to go off-topic or get overexcited but I can't help ... Why haven't I discovered him earlier? I think he is officially my favorite German actor now.

Words cannot describe how I like his Die unstillbare Gier! (link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtIVjlp__bU) Way better than other Von Krolocks I've seen. Very different from Barton but still amazing even without the costumes and props. He must must must play Von Krolock someday. I'm dying to see this happen.

I don't know he has played J/H before but I do want to see him in this role. And now my life is complete. (link: This is the moment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJj-mua1AC0 and Confrontation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjTl1w7MMLc) He sounds quite different from Warlow but as good. And I think he's much better than David Hasselhoff!

I only watched one Les Mis full show bootleg from the 90s, i.e. the one in which JOJ was Valjean. In addition to that, one without any infomation about date or cast, one in the year 2000, one in which Lea was Fantine, and one in which Sarich was Enjolras. Honestly this is all I know so ... I have no idea whether Jodge was one of those Valjeans :oops:
And Havvy, would you mind me sending PMs regarding lifestream? I have some questions but I'm afraid it is off-topic to ask here. Thank you!

Return to “Les Misérables”