Roles You'd Love To See Miz Cast Members Play?

Any discussion related to any production or staging of Boublil and Schönberg's Les Misérables.
Acaila

Re: Roles You'd Love To See Miz Cast Members Play?

Postby Acaila » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:37 pm

Nope....still not able to process it!

Having just seen him sing it in concert, Peter Lockyer as Martin Guerre.
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:26 am

Acaila wrote:Drew in Love Never Dies....I don't know if my brain can process this :shock:

I'd sort of like to see him do Raoul. It's kind of laughable because there's nothing Raoulish about LND's Raoul, but like an angsty, embittered, drunken Drew Sarich is always enjoyable.
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:34 am

"an angsty, embittered, drunken Drew Sarich is always enjoyable" It's true, it's true! :D
Seriously trying to process him as Erik, especially LND Erik...

Love the idea of Buntrock as Javert though.
Abaisse Chief/Chef

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:37 am

But Buntrock hulked out a lot when he hit thirty-five. Physically he just strikes me as such a Valjean and then when you couple that in with the fact that he's so adorable with his children IRL that I just want the Well Scene though to the Waltz of Treachery starring Buntrock as Jean Valjean.
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Prisoner 24653

Postby Prisoner 24653 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:43 am

A few picks for some of the other musicals I adore...

For Frank Wildhorn's Dracula, I'd love to see Ethan Freeman play the Count. Earl Carpenter could also be excellent, as could Anthony Crivello. John Owen-Jones could be an interesting Van Helsing (not to mention that the irony of a stage Valjean playing a character Hugh Jackman played on film -- albeit in a very different adaptation -- would be delicious). I could also see Colm Wilkinson making a good Van Helsing, though it seems like the Wildhorn version tends to go for young-to-middle-age actors for that role, so perhaps a different adaptation would be more likely to cast Colm. Caroline Sheen, Sierra Boggess, or Betsy Morgan could be good as Mina or Lucy, as well, perhaps with Lisa-Anne Wood, Samantha Dorsey, or Lauren Wiley as Lucy. Killian Donnelly would be a superb Jonathan Harker.

A while back, I had a dream (or perhaps dreamed one... ;) ) that I was seeing Peter Karrie as Sweeney Todd. Bit of an unconventional choice, but I think it could work. The aforementioned Freeman, Carpenter, and Crivello could also be excellent Sweeneys, as could Chris Murray. I'd love to see Shawna M. Hamic (current amazing Mme. T in the US Tour) as Mrs. Lovett, and Wendy Ferguson could also rock that character. And it could be fun to see Hugh Panaro as Pirelli or the Beadle. JOJ could also be a great Beadle (and he's played Pirelli before). I'd like to see Fra Fee or Killian as Anthony (though Killian could really fit virtually any of the male roles), and Lauren Wiley or Lisa-Anne Wood could be great as Johanna.

I'm actually really surprised that Drew Sarich has never played Der Tod in Elisabeth -- it seems like such a natural fit for him. Perhaps someday. And if the show is ever done in English (or if these actors start performing shows in other languages), I'd be interested in seeing Ramin Karimloo or Tam Mutu as Der Tod, perhaps with Sierra Boggess as Elisabeth (ignoring the shipping craze or possible facepalming from Phans that would go on if that happened).

I remember hearing from Chris Murray that when he auditioned for the German cast of The Scarlet Pimpernel, he was actually hoping to be cast as Percy, but wound up as Chauvelin instead. I adore his Chauvelin, but would be really interested to hear him as Percy. And I really want to see Tony Crivello as Chauvelin. (I actually talked to him about it after seeing him in POTO, and I think I piqued his interest a bit... so maybe someday if a new Broadway or US Tour production of Pimpernel happens!)

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:17 am

Prisoner 24653 wrote: And I really want to see Tony Crivello as Chauvelin. (I actually talked to him about it after seeing him in POTO, and I think I piqued his interest a bit... so maybe someday if a new Broadway or US Tour production of Pimpernel happens!)

What a great story! :D Yes, I could quite see him playing Chauvelin actually.
Abaisse Chief/Chef

MmeBahorel

Postby MmeBahorel » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:59 am

Wait, there's been a life for Wildhorn's Dracula after Broadway? They weren't casting young on Broadway - it was Stephen Henderson, who was ~56 at the time. I felt like the show had potential, and I like aspects of it, but it was kinda boring musically on the whole, and while Melissa Errico has nice breasts, that didn't mean I wanted to see them. I did love the characterisation of Quincey Morris, though, and the way in which late Victorian technological movement was contrasted with the elemental nature of the Count.

As for the thread itself, I would do many evil things for the opportunity to see Michael McCarthy play Sweeney Todd.
What kind of literature and what kind of life is the same question. - Tom Stoppard

Prisoner 24653

Postby Prisoner 24653 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:21 am

MmeBahorel wrote:They weren't casting young on Broadway - it was Stephen Henderson, who was ~56 at the time.

Ah, very true. And yeah, the show's been reworked and reorchestrated for a couple of German-language productions that ended up being quite successful, and it's now available for regional and school productions through MTI. We'll see if any major English-language productions happen, though the fact that it flopped on Broadway is likely a problem for anyone looking to produce it in any major venue.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:47 am

MmeBahorel wrote:As for the thread itself, I would do many evil things for the opportunity to see Michael McCarthy play Sweeney Todd.

File this under "Things I didn't know I wanted until now" :shock: And I don't even care for Sweeney Todd much!

Especially as McCarthy doesn't seem to have done anything of note since he hung up his truncheon :(
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Auf die Barrikaden

Postby Auf die Barrikaden » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:36 pm

Prisoner 24653 wrote:Chris Murray (who played Javert and Valjean in Berlin) is one performer I'd definitely love to see as the Phantom, and I really hope he'll be in the upcoming Hamburg revival of POTO. For more "pop-ish" Phantoms, Mathias Edenborn might be another possibility, as could Drew Sarich, maybe. Drew's playing the Phantom in a concert version of "Love Never Dies" in Vienna this October (oddly enough, opening on my birthday), but I'd like to see how he'd play the character in the original.

Edenborn has been announced as Phantom in Hamburg.
Resident Les Miz prop expert and collector
Non licet omnibus adire Corinthum
Former Roles: Jesus (Jesus Christ Superstar), Dr Orin Scrivello (Little Shop of Horrors), Ensemble Cameo (Fame)

CosetteMari

Postby CosetteMari » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:32 pm

Saw this here and I'm a big phan of the 10th rather than the 25th and 2012 movie (but I love ALL):

Colm Wilkinson- I'm happy he played the Phantom, and then I suddenly thought of him as Archibald from the Secret Garden... (I have the worst imagination EVER)

Philip Quast- PLEASE PLAY SWEENY TODD!!! I was so bored and I was thinking of Sweeny... so, and like, Colm: I beg you to play Erik!!! Please!!!!

Ruthie Henshall- Madame Giry? (I know that it's like every actor I thought of a Phantom role :D ) She seems nice for the role...

Alun Armstrong- Mental Note: Sweeny Todd. Search it up. I can't think of anything else with this image in my mind: Him as Sweeny.

Jen Galloway- ???

Lea Salonga- Has she played Elphie yet? How about Mme. Giry like Ruthie?

Michael Ball- The Phantom: CHECK. Raoul: ??? Sweeny: CHECK. Does Fiyero apply to him??? If yes, then I beg you, Michael!!! :cry:

Judy Kuhn: Christine Daaé like Rebecca? Well, glad she played Fantine. :D

Michael Maguire: ??? (BTW, when I watched the new Superman movie, I couldn't help but notice that they look extremely alike)

BTW, has anyone here mentioned these names:

Ramin Karimloo- He might look OK as Sweeny...

Sierra Boggess- Played the roles that I thought that she could play... Oh! How about Galinda?

Hadley Fraser- I actually wanna see him as Archibald or Neville in the Secret Garden... or Fiyero if it also applies to him???

:D
Whenever I see either Roy, 'Pony, Enjy, Mari, Fantine, Comb, Couf, Jehan, Joly, and Gav, I fangirl... too much. (Do you guys know who Roy is? Well, if you barricaders go online to the new performers, you might know... :D)

MmeBahorel

Postby MmeBahorel » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:16 pm

I don't think Judy can sing that high - I've seen her in several shows over the past ten years and more, and she's using her lower register these days. I think Cosette was a stretch, and she was a lot younger in 1987 and better able to make that stretch.

Back on track:
Used to keep hoping that someone would hire Ben Davis for Anthony in Sweeney Todd, but at 38, he's aged out. Especially since the last two roles he was hired for, he was too young for: Captain von Trapp and Emile de Becque. Dying for Billy Budd now, since there's more flexibility in opera casting. Terry in Side Show would also be a great fit for him these days, too.

Jeff Kready as Franz in Sunday in the Park with George. He was cover in the Broadway revival, but I never got to see him go on (did see him as the Soldier/Alex). Would love to see him get the part for real, because I think he's perfect for Franz.

Stephen Brian Patterson as Younger Brother in Ragtime. He looks exactly like I imagine when I read the novel. and Tracy Lynn Olivera as Mother - again, she is absolutely perfect physically with the novel and her voice is just right, too.

Tracy as Rona Lisa Peretti in Spelling Bee. Tracy as Lilli Vanessi in Kiss Me Kate.
What kind of literature and what kind of life is the same question. - Tom Stoppard

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:42 pm

CosetteMari wrote:Saw this here and I'm a big phan of the 10th rather than the 25th and 2012 movie (but I love ALL):

Colm Wilkinson- I'm happy he played the Phantom, and then I suddenly thought of him as Archibald from the Secret Garden... (I have the worst imagination EVER)

Philip Quast- PLEASE PLAY SWEENY TODD!!! I was so bored and I was thinking of Sweeny... so, and like, Colm: I beg you to play Erik!!! Please!!!!

Ruthie Henshall- Madame Giry? (I know that it's like every actor I thought of a Phantom role :D ) She seems nice for the role...

Alun Armstrong- Mental Note: Sweeny Todd. Search it up. I can't think of anything else with this image in my mind: Him as Sweeny.

Jen Galloway- ???

Lea Salonga- Has she played Elphie yet? How about Mme. Giry like Ruthie?

Michael Ball- The Phantom: CHECK. Raoul: ??? Sweeny: CHECK. Does Fiyero apply to him??? If yes, then I beg you, Michael!!! :cry:

Judy Kuhn: Christine Daaé like Rebecca? Well, glad she played Fantine. :D

Michael Maguire: ??? (BTW, when I watched the new Superman movie, I couldn't help but notice that they look extremely alike)

BTW, has anyone here mentioned these names:

Ramin Karimloo- He might look OK as Sweeny...

Sierra Boggess- Played the roles that I thought that she could play... Oh! How about Galinda?

Hadley Fraser- I actually wanna see him as Archibald or Neville in the Secret Garden... or Fiyero if it also applies to him???

:D

Alun Armstrong has actually played Sweeney Todd before I believe, at the National Theatre.

Also, would you mind not using more than one punctuation mark at a time? The forum rules do mention that specifically.

Mme B - which cast is Stephen Brian Patterson from?

Mention of Ragtime made me think of Brian Stokes Mitchell, which made me think of Man of La Mancha, and now I have decided that I need Geronimo Rauch as Don Quixote in my life so very very badly. And having recently watched Joanna Ampil's Fantine again, I wouldn't mind if she played Aldonza opposite him. I might spend the next few hours trying to think of who from the world of Mis would make a good Sancho Panza....
Abaisse Chief/Chef

MmeBahorel

Postby MmeBahorel » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:16 pm

Steve was Marius in the 3NT from 2000 to 2002. He also did the Broadway fill-in in 2002 when Peter Lockyer went to China. Stephanie Waters was his Cosette for most of that time - she left a few months before he did in 2002, and did the Broadway fill-in along with him. He's the dorky blond Marius who I always thought looked like an engineering student :)

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:54 pm

How exactly does one look like an engineering student? :D

I have also developed a strange craving that I can't quite explain to see Ian Patrick Gibb as The Balladeer/Lee Harvey Oswald in Assassins. He's just so darn wholesome, and then woobie-tastic. And it would be cool to see him in a part that uses that but then makes it so fantastically sinister.
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Return to “Les Misérables”