Roles You'd Love To See Miz Cast Members Play?

Any discussion related to any production or staging of Boublil and Schönberg's Les Misérables.
Schmerg_The_Impaler

Roles You'd Love To See Miz Cast Members Play?

Postby Schmerg_The_Impaler » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:09 am

Basically everyone's done Les Misérables. But what roles have these actors not done that you'd LOVE to see them as?

Here are some I'd love to see--

Terrence Mann: Either Sweeney Todd or the Judge. He seems better suited to the Judge, but I'd love to hear his voice singing Sweeney's parts.
I'd also LOVE to see him in as Frollo in a Broadway version of "Hunchback of Notre Dame," the extended verson that ran in Germany with Drew Sarich. He basically LOOKS like Frollo sans pointy nose, and I was rewatching the movie and struck by how well I could imagine his voice saying all of those lines.

Michael Ball: I desperately want him to play Sir Percy in Scarlet Pimpernel. I doubt that would happen, but I think he has the kind of tremendous breath support for holding out the ludicrous long notes, the emotional acting, AND the comedic skill
Last edited by Schmerg_The_Impaler on Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am playing the Queen of France right now in a play. Try not to decapitate me.

MmeJavert
Benevolent Dictator

Postby MmeJavert » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:19 am

Aaron Lazar or Philip Quast as the Phantom.
and to this day, she's glided on
always home but so far away
like a word misplaced
nothing said, what a waste

~pearl jam, "dissident"

rugby24601

Postby rugby24601 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:27 am

Michael Ball needs to be the Phantom and so do Philip Quast and Aaron Lazar.
RUCK WITH ME AND DIE!

Real Barricade Boys play rugby!

Sieglinde

Postby Sieglinde » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:23 am

Philip for Sweeney. He did the Judge, but I think Sweeney would fit him even better. He absolutely has the voice, and imagine him with a razor...

Add Lea Salonga as Beggar Woman (I can see Philip embracing her at the end and crying and going berserk), and Patti as Mrs. Lovett.

How about a Philip-Sweeney and a Terrence-Judge? *ebil*

And also Michael Ball - for Beadle!

Oh, a Philip!Phantom would change the story. Which Christine could love other man if he were the Phantom? *melts*

MllePaula

Postby MllePaula » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:22 pm

Josh Young - Raoul. Would love to see that. I think he might make a very good Phantom when he's a bit older.

Tons of roles I'd like to see Hugh play and, interestingly, a lot of them are ones he wants to play...Sweeney Todd, Jesus in "Jesus Christ Superstar," Terry in "Side Show."

Schmerg_The_Impaler

Postby Schmerg_The_Impaler » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:30 pm

I'd also like to see--

Adam Jacobs-- Walter Hartright in "Woman In White." He'd probably make a good Raoul, though... he's cute.

Norm Lewis-- The Beast in "Beauty and the Beast," Mufasa in "The Lion King," and especially Mr. Rochester in "Jane Eyre." Sirens from "Jane Eyre" is the most played song on my iTunes account.

Drew Sarich-- The role Christian Borle pioneered in "Spamalot"-- Historian/Not Dead Fred/Minstrel/Herbert. Not only does he have a good high voice, the thing that always rankles me a tiny bit about him is his strong American accent. Spamalot would force him to sing in an English accent, mwahaahaha!

Philip-Sweeney and Terrence-judge sounds AMAZING, as does Lea Salonga as the Beggar Woman. Awww, that would be the best. The 'yellow hair' might be a problem, but then Audra Macdonald played the role. Don't think I'd want Michael Ball for the Beadle, though-- that guy has to sing ludicrously high, and from what I've heard of MB, his voice is comfier in a lower tenor range.

Sieglinde

Postby Sieglinde » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:14 pm

But imagine MB in a Beadle costume... and the best: falling to the cellar! *Toby screaming*
I adore the high parts with Beadle and Pirelli in the final Ballad. It's so bizarre. Something like Loim lacus colueram in Carmina Burana.

Oh, PQ slitting TM's throat while singing would be totally LOL.

Schmerg_The_Impaler

Postby Schmerg_The_Impaler » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:43 pm

But imagine MB in a Beadle costume... and the best: falling to the cellar! *Toby screaming*
I adore the high parts with Beadle and Pirelli in the final Ballad. It's so bizarre.

I guess the problem is that Michael Ball always seems so cute and chirpy, I don't think I could see him strangling birds and stuff. Though I can very clearly imagine him doing that wacky parlor scene where he's playing that little instrument and singing his heart out.

But YES, I do love the part Pirelli and the Beadle sing. It may be my favourite part of the entire sung score-- that and the 'tis your delight, sir catching FI-re' recurring line. And of course I love the Kiss Me/Ladies In Their Sensitivies counterpoint. And... okay, I adore the entire musical.

Sieglinde

Postby Sieglinde » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:05 pm

Alex Gemignani actually does the Beadle :D LOL :D A usual Valjean... I want to see him. :D

I adore countertenors, they are so funny. Although the MAN begins with baritone (and goes into the lowness) by me.
If he's a tenor, he should do something awesome - get sword from the tree, re-do broken sword, suffering a whole act, loving his friend's wife but being honest, or being a revolurionary and shouting high notes when finding our Bonaparte won...

Or being an ex-convict. :twisted:

How about Philip for Old Deuteronomy?

Acaila

Re: Roles You'd Love To See Miz Cast Members Play?

Postby Acaila » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:22 pm

I just found this thread and it sounds like a whole lot of fun!
So....

Christopher Jacobsen as Raoul. And probably the Phantom too because wow, does he have the voice for it.
Jason Forbach as Anatoly in Chess. He reminded me of Josh Groban from the very first time I heard him and I can imagine him rocking Anthem and doing the character really well.
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

YoungStudentMarius

Postby YoungStudentMarius » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:07 pm

While we're at it, I think we accidentally decided Fra Fee would make a pretty amazing Raoul, as well. :mrgreen: And I remember when you linked to that Chris Jacobson All I Ask of You. That would be pretty precious, I'll admit.

Not a specific actor, but more just curious, I wonder how many Artful Dodgers or Olivers have played Gavroche, and how many Young Cosettes will play Matildas, now? Seeing as those are some of the more important child roles I can think of offhand; I mean, it might be interesting to look into. (Though sorry, maybe this isn't the correct thread for that; I was just curious).
Our chimeras are the things which most resemble us. Each of us dreams of the unknown and the impossible in accordance with his nature.

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:42 pm

Well, as far as the Broadway production goes, it's been five years since Les Mis closed, so none of the four Broadway Matildas would have played Young Cosette there. Milly Shapiro is credited as having played "Young Cossette" (spelling verbatim) in a regional production. I think we can anticipate more crossover once Les Mis reopens in March.

West End Matilda, Elise Blake played Young Cosette at the Queen's.

But to get back to the matter at hand: Stephen R. Buntrock coming back to Les Mis for Valjean. (Or Javert, which is probably more vocally in his range, but I'd really, really love to see him as a Valjean.)
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Prisoner 24653

Postby Prisoner 24653 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:53 pm

Ooh, fun! I agree with those who'd like to see Fra as Raoul. And after hearing the range of characters Killian Donnelly could pull off in LM, I'd love to see him play the Phantom sometime soon (as he's played Raoul in the past). Hadley Fraser's another possible Phantom; his Raoul was a tad aggressive for my taste, though I appreciate what he was doing and like it a lot more than I used to, but I'd be interested in seeing him play the Phantom.

Chris Murray (who played Javert and Valjean in Berlin) is one performer I'd definitely love to see as the Phantom, and I really hope he'll be in the upcoming Hamburg revival of POTO. For more "pop-ish" Phantoms, Mathias Edenborn might be another possibility, as could Drew Sarich, maybe. Drew's playing the Phantom in a concert version of "Love Never Dies" in Vienna this October (oddly enough, opening on my birthday), but I'd like to see how he'd play the character in the original.

And I'd be interested in seeing Danielle Hope as Meg, or maybe Christine if she has the range for it. I've only heard her in "Wizard of Oz" and LM, so I'm not sure... and the West End has had mezzo-soprano Christines in the past, so it's possible as long as she can pull off the high Cs and E.

YoungStudentMarius

Postby YoungStudentMarius » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:55 pm

deHavilland wrote:Well, as far as the Broadway production goes, it's been five years since Les Mis closed, so none of the four Broadway Matildas would have played Young Cosette there. Milly Shapiro is credited as having played "Young Cossette" (spelling verbatim) in a regional production. I think we can anticipate more crossover once Les Mis reopens in March.

West End Matilda, Elise Blake played Young Cosette at the Queen's.

Thank you very much Geronimo; I get it, now. :D

Huh, Hadley!Phantom would be really interesting, James! I thought he was a bit too gruff as Raoul, as well, but now I'm wondering how that'd translate as the Phantom, and...huh, that's actually something I'd like to see. :D
Our chimeras are the things which most resemble us. Each of us dreams of the unknown and the impossible in accordance with his nature.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:06 pm

Drew in Love Never Dies....I don't know if my brain can process this :shock:
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

Return to “Les Misérables”