Compare Two Soundtracks

Any discussion related to any production or staging of Boublil and Schönberg's Les Misérables.
SylvieProuvaire1832

Postby SylvieProuvaire1832 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:34 am

I never realized how bad David Bryant was until I heard other Mariuses. Now I'm embaressed that I once did.
Have courage for the greatest sorrows of life and patience for the small ones, and when you have labouriously acomplished your daily tasks, go to sleep in peace. God is awake.

Annelise

Postby Annelise » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:20 pm

lesmisloony wrote:
Marius: CSR. No particular reason.

How about all the reasons Schmerg listed in the TAC vs. OBC thread? I hate me some David Bryant.

Also, I really detest the Young Cosette on the CSR. The way she says "Oh, it's her!" makes me want to punch her myself.

Hmm, okay. David simply sounds older, and Michael Ball has a better voice, which essentially is what Schmerg said, I suppose. :) Marius isn't my favorite character, so I don't pay too much attention to his songs.

Yes! I totally forgot about that part with CSR young Cosette. I hate that too. Other than that, though, I like her voice.
I live in a world of my own thoughts, where my plans and dreams float about…I hope that you will get to know all my good sides better—those you know and those you don’t know yet. Everything in its own time. -Ala Gertner

Schmerg_The_Impaler

Postby Schmerg_The_Impaler » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:38 am

I just got my CSR album yesterday, for my sixteenth birthday! So I shall compare it with the OBC and TAC, the three albums I own.

BETWEEN THE OBC, CSR AND TAC:

Chorus: TAC. The OBC sounds too American and polished, no character voices, just all pretty voices. The CSR just sounds... ugly and bad for a lot of it. TAC hits a lovely middle ground.

Valjean: OBC/TAC That's Colm Wilkinson. Though, actually, Gary Morris has some good points-- he has a somewhat similar voice to Colm, but sounds younger and stronger in some parts. There are a few bits that I like a little bit better than Colm's... and his voice blends better with Philip Quast.

Enjolras: I can't decide! On one hand, Anthony Warlow's voice is beautiful and incredible (LET OTHERS RIIIIISE...), but I think Michael Maguire has such spirit in his performance, and his voice is really the Enjolras voice to me, even if it's not as pretty as Warlow's. I think Warlow emphasizes the wrong words a lot of the time, or even uses the wrong emotion, and it can be a little jarring.

Plus, I love MM's vibrato... it's gorgeous... and I feel like Anthony Warlow sometimes gets a mite carried away by his vibrato. And I don't like his pronunciation... sounds a bit like he's trying to sound super-English to cover up the Australian-ness and ends up sounding like Sir Percy Blakeney. On the other hand, MM can get quite nasal and rather flat sometimes, especially on the TAC. Still, MM's performance on "Do You Hear The People Sing" is FAAAAAAR superior to Mr. Warlow's!

Cosette: OBC/TAC That is, Judy Kuhn. She's actually also my favourite Fantine, which is a vastly different part and one I think she's better suited to than Cosette. I don't dislike Tracy Shane as much as most people seem to. I think her voice is so cute and sweet and sounds better as a grown-up version of young Cosette... they actually sound like the same person. It also makes Cosette seem less... operatic. But her voice can get a mite shrill and grating on the high notes-- reminds me of Tracy Turnblad, somehow. I just like Judy Kuhn more. I've never heard a Cosette who really sounds perfect to me, though-- it'd be somewhere in between the two.

Grantaire: OBC/TAC I adore Anthony Crivello. The guy on the CSR (forget his name) makes me laugh so much... he actually sings like he really is drunk, which is kind of awesome, but it's also painful to listen to sometimes, especially his "better than an opera" and "REEEED." Though I get what direction they're going in.

Marius: TAC. TAC. I know it's Michael Ball on both the TAC and CSR, but there are parts on the CSR where he doesn't even sound like himself... he sounds like fifteen years old at parts. Still gorgeous, but I prefer his performance on the TAC.

Fantine: OBC. I love Randy Graff. She may not always sound pretty, but her voice definitely showcases all of the panic that Fantine's going through, especially the frantic vibrato she uses in the last couple verses of "I Dreamed a Dream" and part of "Come To Me." And I love how much power she has to her voice and how good her low register is.

Also... Ruthie Henshall's voice has this weird quality. There's a girlishness to it, but it sounds forced, like she's trying really hard to sound young, and almost like she's singing through a clenched jaw. I know a lot of people complain about Debbie Byrne on the CSR, but although she doesn't have as much force to her voice as some, I actually love her tone and prefer her to Ruthie Henshall-- I've never liked Ruthie much at all (I hated her in Woman In White).

Éponine: TAC, by an extremely narrow margin. I'm so indecisive. Lea Salonga has a very pretty voice, if not necessarily the most original. I think she's really miscast... if anyone gets the spirit/personality of Éponine down, I'd say Kaho Shimodo on the CSR, but her pronunciation is distracting.

I actually love Frances Ruffelle... but she sounds pretty weird on the OBC recording, and this is just a comparison between the OBC and TAC, not anything else. Ms. Ruffelle's pronunciation on words like "river" and "silver" and 'him' and the way she sounds like she's scream-moaning some of her lines is a bit distracting. And unlike Kaho Shimodo, she doesn't have the excuse of not speaking English. I love all three Eponines a lot, so it's hard to choose.

Thenardier: TAC. I love the Cockney accent and the crazy voice. I also love the guy on the CSR, and in some parts, I think he's even better than Alun Armstrong, but Armstrong still has the edge... Though I do really love the guy on the OBC, too-- it was a hard choice. (I like his squeals and bullfrog breathing.)

Madame T: I can't decide! I love the singing on the OBC, but the TAC really gets the "terrifying Thenardiess" down pat. Complete with Cockney accent. I still don't like the one on the CSR, though. Gay Soper has this really weird girlish/babyish voice that's distracting and irritating... she's not bad, I just think that the Thenardiess is odd casting.

Young Cosette: CSR. I know some people complained about her, but I actually like her a lot better than either of the other two girls, especially on her cute little lalalalalalas with Jean.

Feuilly: OBC. Why am I mentioning Feuilly? Because this was the one casting choice that I couldn't stop ranting about when I got the TAC. The OBC Feuilly has a deep, rich voice, and the TAC guy seems insubstantial in comparison, even though Matt Cammelle has a lovely, lovely voice... he just isn't Feuilly for me! I can't even listen to "Drink With Me" on the TAC.

And the CSR Feuilly is TERRIBLE, far worse than CSR, who was nice, just not Feuilly for me. CSR guy has a deep, rich voice like OBC guy, but he pronounces things in this super-American way, like "The bluhd of the MARRRTYRRRS will WARTERRR the MEDOWWWZ of FRRREEEEAAAANCE!"

Gavroche: CSR. I also love Braden Danner on the OBC, but when I heard the CSR kid (Ross something), I was absolutely gobsmacked-- very impressed. I love his accent and his mischievousness, and the high-pitched cute voice (which I also liked on the OBC guy). The kid on the TAC sounds stuffy, stilted, and older.

*Javert: OBC/CSR As everyone on this site knows by now, I actually prefer Terrence Mann to Philip Quast... HOWEVER, I think Philip Quast sounds AMAZING on the CSR! I can't stand to even listen to him on the TAC, I don't know why, but his voice sounds so harsh and scratchy, but on the CSR, his voice is so much fuller and richer and... prettier. (I still like Terrence Mann's tone better, but Philip Quast turns out a very good performance on the CSR!) So they're actually tied! :shock:

And this is so random but I hate the guy who plays the Pimp in Look Down on the CSR... I know, only one line, but still. And I also hate the factory girl in At the End Of The Day.
I am playing the Queen of France right now in a play. Try not to decapitate me.

SylvieProuvaire1832

Postby SylvieProuvaire1832 » Tue May 13, 2008 1:40 am

I think the Grantaire on the CSR is Kenny d'Aquilla, and most of the time he makes me want to slice my ears off. Same with Gay Sopher.

I understand what you're saying about Ruthie, but I haaaate Debbie Byrnes... she always sounds like she's on the verge of tears even when she shouldn't be...

Oh, and I adore CSR Gavroche too.

If I were every making a movie that involved a singing old horse on a ranch in the old West...I would cast CSR Feuilly...but I don't like him as Feuilly.
Have courage for the greatest sorrows of life and patience for the small ones, and when you have labouriously acomplished your daily tasks, go to sleep in peace. God is awake.

Ulkis

Postby Ulkis » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:45 am

I've heard that Lea sounds angry in the TAC, but she doesn't sound like she's acting at all to me. I think she made a choice to just sing it, since it was a concert. Because she sounds like this:

on my own. pretending he's beside me. all alone. etc, etc.

Overall I'd say the OLC is my favorite. I wouldn't say that all the singers there are the best possible choice, but I can't think of anyone I can't stand (as I can for each other English-language recording) and I think as a group they are the most cohesive.

Sieglinde

Postby Sieglinde » Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:23 pm

Then, I'll make OLC vs TAC vs CSR.

Heard only parts from OBC.

Valjean: CSR. Colm is great, of course, but he doesn't know WHEN to stop a high note before it gets annoying. (Deadliest weapon of the barricade: Valjean's top C!)

Fantine: TAC. Although all three Fantines are good, Ruthie is so helpless, so innocent, so adorable.

Cosette: CSR. I can't stand Judy Kuhn, but the CSR Cosette makes me cry when she sings "It's to soon to have to say goodbye".

Enjolras: CSR. OMG that "Let others RIIIIIIIISE"...

Thénardier: OLC/TAC. Alun is Thénardier in both, and I adore his voice. He's like an Alberich mixed with Gollum nad Mundungus Fletcher. Funny and evil, and his "Dog Eats Dog" (my fav Thénardier song) chills.

Mme Thénardier: TAC. Jenny is perfect.

Grantaire: TAC. The only Grantaire that doesn't annoy me.

Gavroche: CSR. His death is so tragic and the way he tries to finish his song.

Marius: Well, Michael Ball... he's always perfect. (But every time I hear him in ALFOR, I have the image of him wiping his nose in Lea's hair...) *facedesk*

Éponine: Very hard. TAC/OLC tie. I love Frances and Lea equally. And Kaho is great, too, her only weakness is her lame scream.

Javert: Philip vs Philip vs. Roger Allam. I can't choose. Philip was my first Javert and he IS Javert, but Roger is absolutely wonderful, too. Roger's and Colm's Confrontation is my favourite.
Stars: I like also the original lyrical ending, Roger does it beautifully. And also "fallen from Grace" twice. Philip... oh my God. That last note. *melts*
Suicide: Roger's voice is lighter and he's not so passionate, more cold and clear. He does it great, but Philip wins.
Philip vs Philip.
TAC: the fact you see him adds a lots. "grabbing the microphone dramatically", letting his hair free and all. Oh, I love it.
CSR: "repriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiieved" Chills.
Both his performances are fantastic.
Oh my God, I love Philip, I love Javert... *turns into fangirl mode*
The TAC suicide... you don't need stage. You don't need a bridge. He just sings and you can SEE the bridge. And the way he does the "OOOOOOOOOOON", oh... *chills again*

*edit*

Now I have the French Concept Album, too.
And I found my Enjolras. Clear, heroic voice, and the "A La Volonté du Peuple" is absolutely great. Too bad this version has no Final Battle.
Strange album, though. Poor Valjean has no solos, we have no Confrontation...
But the French Language is beautiful.

Schmerg_The_Impaler

Postby Schmerg_The_Impaler » Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:24 pm

Hahaha, I agree! (Well, TAC guy's also on OBC, so I also like the OBC version.) But anyway, I only own one song from the OLC, and that's "Red and Black," and I bought it to laugh at Grantaire's hilarious voice. He sounds like an old woman impersonating the Beatles. Granted, it's entertaining, but... Grantaire?

Also, on that song, Enjolras sounds slightly... bipolar. He goes from having this ridiculously soft and pretty and peaceful voice to REEEEEEEEED THE BLOOOOD OF ANGRY MENNNNNNN out of nowhere. It always makes me jump. And after Marius sings "One minute there, then she was gone" and the music goes "bom-BOM" before Grantaire comes in? I always sing "I'm twelve!" on those two notes because he sounds so ridiculously, adorably young.

Schmerg_The_Impaler

Postby Schmerg_The_Impaler » Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:28 pm

If I were every making a movie that involved a singing old horse on a ranch in the old West...I would cast CSR Feuilly...but I don't like him as Feuilly.

*Gigglesnort* Couldn't have put it any better myself.

Schmerg_The_Impaler wrote:

Hahaha, I agree! (Well, TAC guy's also on OBC, so I also like the OBC version.) But anyway, I only own one song from the OLC, and that's "Red and Black," and I bought it to laugh at Grantaire's hilarious voice. He sounds like an old woman impersonating the Beatles. Granted, it's entertaining, but... Grantaire?

Also, on that song, Enjolras sounds slightly... bipolar. He goes from having this ridiculously soft and pretty and peaceful voice to REEEEEEEEED THE BLOOOOD OF ANGRY MENNNNNNN out of nowhere. It always makes me jump. And after Marius sings "One minute there, then she was gone" and the music goes "bom-BOM" before Grantaire comes in? I always sing "I'm twelve!" on those two notes because he sounds so ridiculously, adorably young.

Mel

Postby Mel » Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:54 pm

Sieglinde wrote:Grantaire: TAC. The only Grantaire that doesn't annoy me.

I like the CSR Grantaire best. He has such a coarse, rough voice. At first it used to make me cringe a little, especially when he sings 'REEED!' But I've really come to love it - it's so... Grantaire.

Prisoner 24653

Re: Compare Two Soundtracks

Postby Prisoner 24653 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:05 pm

I feel like practicing some thread necromancy, and this looks like an interesting topic to resurrect. I'll be comparing the Japanese Light Blue and Green cast albums, both from 2003. Some fans (including myself) consider these to be the two best Japanese cast albums of the show. Perhaps in a future post, I'll compare the Violet (2003) and Blue (1994) albums, generally considered the two worst... and also the leftovers, Red (1994) and Orange (2003). It's kind of nice that the albums are color-coded, as well -- I can continue Schmerg's trend of having each album represented by a different color. :D

Valjean: It's a tough choice for me, as I like both for different reasons. Overall, though, I'd go for Tetsuya Bessho. He has a rougher sound to his voice and tends to emphasize the darker Valjean, more prone to anger and flirting with selfish urges before overcoming them. Interestingly, he's the only recorded Japanese Valjean who hit the high B at the end of "Who Am I?" -- all the others stayed at G-flat the whole way.

Kazutaka Ishii, by contrast, has a lighter voice. I didn't realize until later that he was a former Marius (and also the Japanese dubbing voice of Aladdin), but once you know that, you can kinda hear it in his Valjean. He's one of only two Japanese Valjeans on CD who sings "Bring Him Home" in the regular key rather than transposing it down (the other being Kiyotaka Imai in the Violet cast). My gripe with both Bessho and Ishii, though, is that neither sounds very good in the bit where they harmonize with Little Cosette before "Waltz of Treachery" -- I felt the only one who did was Kiyotaka Imai, but that's for another post.

Javert: This one's a much easier choice -- Kojiro Oka all the way. I love his voice, and most of his acting fits the character really well. There are occasional weird bits, like crazy laughing at one point during his suicide (which two other Japanese Javerts have done as well), but overall, I liked him in the role a lot. He also goes up an octave for the "And my thoughts fly apart..." section, like Norm Lewis and Drew Sarich have done, and seems to have been the only Japanese Javert to do that... I'm generally not that fond of that, but Oka sounds good all the while. (He was also Enjolras in the 1994 Blue cast, so hey!)

On the other hand, Masahiro Takashima seemed a very strange pick for the role. I like a few of the things he did acting-wise, but in general, he seems to pick all the wrong moments to be subtle or over-the-top. In terms of vocals, he sounded like he was trying too hard to imitate Takeshi Kaga (Valjean in the Red Cast)'s voice -- he would often pitch-bend notes down and also speak-sing or growl low notes a lot more than necessary. This makes Takashima's performance a bit interesting, though, in that his portrayal may give a bit of insight into what Takeshi Kaga might have been like as Javert (since Kaga alternated as Javert as well as Valjean, at least initially, but no recordings of him as Javert are known to exist). I wouldn't call it good, though -- Takashima's Javert is the biggest flaw for me in the Light Blue cast, which I'd otherwise consider fantastic.

Fantine: Marsia. I liked both Fantines, and Yumiko Takahashi has a great voice as well, but Marsia seemed to pack more emotional punch and inject more meaning into the lyrics. She made it completely believable to me that she'd had a horrid life and had just about given up completely, whereas Takahashi sounded sad but often too "pretty" most of the time. However, I will concede that Takahashi and Seiko Niizuma in the Green cast sounded the best out of all the Japanese casts when they harmonized in the "Take my hand; I'll lead you to salvation..." bit of the Epilogue. (Fun fact: Also in 2003, Marsia was playing another young lady who turns to prostitution, meets a really unpleasant customer, and dies. She was Lucy in Jekyll & Hyde, opposite Takeshi Kaga -- the 1994 Red Cast's Valjean -- in the title roles.)

Cosette: Yuka Koono. Occasionally, she veers a bit into Tracy Shayne territory in terms of vibrato, but manages not to annoy me nearly as much; she projects a very sweet, naive, and believable Cosette, and makes me think she'd be a good Johanna in Sweeney Todd, or perhaps even Christine in POTO. While I liked Tamaki Kenmotsu as well, she seemed to struggle a lot more with reaching the top notes. (I also noticed that when listening to her as Sarah in Tanz der Vampire.) She redeems herself a bit with her emotion in the finale, particularly on the line "You will live; Papa, you're going to live". But overall, I prefer Koono.

Marius: Yohei Izumi. Again, I like both and they each did well in terms of acting and chemistry with their respective Cosettes and Éponines, but I tended to prefer Izumi vocally. (He was a good Alfred in Tanz der Vampire, as well.) I think my problem with Koji Yamamoto has to do with his tendency to cut off really suddenly on the "big notes" (for instance, the last note of AHFOL) instead of letting them ring out.

Éponine: Anza Ooyama (often credited as just "ANZA," since she's apparently a J-Pop singer... Definitely much better than most other examples of pop singers being in the show). She's my favorite Japanese Éponine and among my top picks for the role in any language because she plays the role quite a bit more subtly than many others. If you were to only listen to her in the major songs, she might seem rather underwhelming, but when I hear her portrayal from start to finish on the album, I find it absolutely heartbreaking every time. The little things she emphasizes in the lyrics are probably what get me the most, and I suppose her portrayal works better for those who know how the translation works. The metaphor I like to use is that while other Éponines generally go for big, emotional gut punches in "On My Own" and "A Little Fall of Rain," Anza's portrayal delivers more of a "death by a thousand cuts" throughout her entire performance -- "Éponine's Errand" is a standout for her, in my view, and the fact that she doesn't have as big a voice and is thusly overshadowed by Marius and Cosette in AHFOL actually seems to work to her advantage. I'd love to find live recordings (video or audio) of her in the role.

Not to say that Seiko Niizuma is bad by any means... She was the first 'Ponine I heard in Japanese (I heard Kaho Shimada before her, but that was on the CSR), and I do think she's excellent as well. She delivers a powerful OMO and is a fantastic Éponine overall. But her portrayal isn't quite on the same level as Anza's for me. (Interestingly, she draws a bit from Anza's style for OMO in her 2008 solo album.)

Enjolras: They're the same guy, Kenji Sakamoto. He has slightly better diction in the Light Blue album than the Green (creating less potential for epic mishearings), but he's awesome in both, has an excellent voice and good rapport with the other Amis, and is my favorite Enjolras in the Japanese recordings.

Thénardier: I really can't decide. Aro Sanyutei has a lighter voice while Hajime Komada has a more rough and grungy sound -- it's almost like comparing Alun Armstrong to Barry James, actually, and I can't decide between those two, either. Both Sanyutei and Komada are quite funny in their early scenes and manage to be unsettling in "Attack on Rue Plumet" and "Dog Eats Dog." (They also both appear on the other 2003 albums -- Sanyutei on the Orange and Komada on the Violet.)

Madame Thénardier: Miya Setouchi. She sounds a good deal more intimidating without having to try too hard in the way Kumiko Mori seems to. Her cackle sounds more genuine, as well. (Kumiko Mori seems like an incredibly nice person in clips I've seen of her when she's not playing a role, so perhaps it's a case where she has a hard time acting otherwise, a bit like Norm Lewis as Javert.)

Gavroche: Light Blue. Neither one is all that good, but the Light Blue cast's Gavroche is at least a bit more vocally interesting. The Green cast's Gavroche starts off a bit annoying in "Look Down," and although he gets a little better in later scenes, it's hard to overcome that first impression.

Ensemble: Green. The ensemble is absolutely spot-on, always -- technically flawless, and also very energetic and emotionally connected throughout the recording. The Light Blue ensemble is also very good (as are all the others in the Japanese recordings), but the Green album takes it up a notch. There are a few individual cases, though -- for instance, I prefer Feuilly in the Light Blue album, especially for his bit in DYHTPS. And neither album's Little Cosette sounds too great. Overall, though, the Green ensemble wins out.

The Verdict: Tallying up the votes, Light Blue is the clear winner, 6-3. (Enjolras and Thénardier aren't counted since E was the same actor in both and I couldn't decide on T.) However, the quality of the Green cast's ensemble really can't be overstated, nor can the problems with Masahiro Takashima's Javert in the Light Blue cast.

My advice: If you can only get one Japanese recording of the show, go for the Green cast. But if you can get two, check out both the Green and Light Blue albums. Or alternatively, go for Green if you want a really excellent Valjean/Javert conflict, but try Light Blue if you lean more towards the Marius/Cosette/Éponine triangle or want a really stellar Fantine.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:12 am

Oooh I've not noticed this thread before! Nice find :) And always nice to hear some expertise on the Japanese casts ;)
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

Prisoner 24653

Postby Prisoner 24653 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:49 am

Hehe, thanks! Hoping more people will be able to log in and post soon... I'd love to see more members' thoughts on different cast albums. Especially those that have come out in the years since this topic became inactive! :D

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:29 pm

Still, we're not doing too badly keeping things going! :D
I need to check what's already been done and see if I can figure out a pair to do :)
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

Postby 23623 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:00 am

*Revives thread*
Well...I finally finished OBC today. Yeah I know being in this fandom for nearly 4 years without having listened to OBC is really unforgivable. :mrgreen: Originally I was planning to post a review somewhere but couldn't find any OBC topic. This one seems to be the closest. Following the OP I'll try an OBC/TAC comparison, but somehow this turns out to be a (very lazy) OBC review plus some shameless TAC actor fangirling. So please bear with me! :oops:

:arrow: Javert --> TAC hands down!
I've seen complaints about Terrence Mann's Javert before. I had always refused to believe them...until I actually listened to OBC. I love him a lot in Scarlet Pimpernel. He's an amazing Chauvelin...wait is that why he sucks as Javert? But seriously he doesn't even sound like himself (his Chauvelin-self) on OBC. Not at all. Every time Javert sings I'm wondering if this Inspector and Chauvelin are really the same person. Hate to admit this but he's terrible in most major songs (Confrontation, Stars, etc). Suicide is slightly better and this is the only song where he actually sounds a bit like himself. And in Stars: "fallen from grace...fallen from grace!" OK I get it. Valjean is a bad guy fallen from grace. You don't have to emphasize that much, Javert! :mrgreen:
Quast on the other hand is just perfect in every way. I watched TAC soon after I was introduced by the movie. You can never imagine how shocked I was seeing Quast as Javert. While in the movie Javert's suicide appeared hilariously ridiculous to me, TAC suicide, which I still consider the best among all I've seen and listened to, just hit me right in the feels and left me completely speechless. And Stars. I completely forgot about this song after watching the movie but it's impossible not to pay attention to it in TAC. Stars and Master of the House became my favorite LM songs after TAC. And Quast became my definitive Javert though I hadn't even read the book back then! Before I discovered Berlin cast (2004) and Madrid cast (1993), he was the only Javert I could accept. Sorry I fangirl too much but hey, who doesn't love Quast as Javert? :wink:

:arrow: Éponine --> OBC. In fact a hard choice because I want to say neither.
Don't like Lea in general because she's like the queen of overacting. I've seen her as Éponine, Fantine and Kim, and she overacts in every role. :roll: On the other hand, I still have some difficulty accepting Frances as Éponine. She's weird and sometimes creepy. It actually scares me when she sings in Attack on Rue Plumet! Also I think I've watched a video of her singing ODM and that's the creepiest Eppie moment I've ever seen. However a very small rational part of me knows that her Éponine is probably the closest to the book version. After all Éponine is not supposed to be a cute little girl, though cute little Eppie is my biggest LM guilty pleasure. So um...my vote still goes to OBC.

:arrow: Enjolras --> OBC
Having listened to this guy on TAC, I was fully prepared for the worst but he turned out to be much better than I'd expected. Apparently he doesn't sound like himself either...albeit in a good way. Seriously Javert and Enjolras do you both have schizophrenia or something? :mrgreen: And I guess not seeing his face kinda helps. In TAC he's like "Red *blinks* the blood *blinks* of angry *blinks* *blinks* men *blinks*..." ugh... :roll:

Will talk about other characters next time if you're still with me by then, because my rambling is getting way too long. :oops:
Revolution, but civilization

CC21106

Postby CC21106 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:47 pm

Is there a thread somewhere that tells what acronyms mean?
Don't mess with Texas! We mess up enough by ourselves.
I have actually made bullets like they're doing in my avatar. Then loaded the gun with a ramrod, and shot it. But I'm not feeling real good about guns right now.

Return to “Les Misérables”