Compare Two Soundtracks

Any discussion related to any production or staging of Boublil and Schönberg's Les Misérables.
Citizen_Aku

Postby Citizen_Aku » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:46 pm

Yes, the book Javert and book Chauvelin are rather similar indeed, but the musical ones... perhaps I should switch to a list...

A. Musical Chauvelin is supposed to be a fairly alluring and sexy character, with the addition of the Marguerite love triangle thing, but Musical Javert is uber-religious and I would bet actual money that he's not entirely sure what it is the "Lovely Ladies" actually do either. Also, Chauvelin's quite calculating and dramatic, and Javert is straightforward and unemotional.

B. Chauvelin in general recognizes that he's being cruel and immoral, but does it anyway and is probably proud of it. Musical Javert would probably have a heart attack *orjumpoffabridge* if he found out he wasn't virtuous and fair in all he does. If Percy saved Chauvelin from being killed, Chauvelin would likely arrest, torture, and execute him at the next opportunity anyway. He knows perfectly well that Percy is a kind, honorable person, and he's used it against him, as opposed to Javert, who can't cope with finding out that Valjean is not the scum of the earth.

C. Chauvelin is extremely short. Javert is extremely tall. Chauvelin has creepily pale skin and light eyes. Javert is dark-skinned. Thought I should mention that.

Wow. That was longer than I expected.
Real men fight by singing in counterpoint.

98% Machiavellian and demmed proud of it!

Schmerg_The_Impaler

Postby Schmerg_The_Impaler » Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:56 pm

True, true. I have a few disagreements, but nothin' serious. *Shrugs* Hey, I've seen portrayals of Javert embodying every possible personality trait, including Enjolras-like girlishness.

ANYHOW!

For those curious, this is my brother: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hp6J4TBfXrk He's the one with the blonde hair, filmed by a girl on his bus. Apparently, my brother sings on the bus. Apparently, he sings Justin Timberlake songs. Apparently, this video has 135 views. 0_0

This song is way too high for him... someone tell him that. He's usually waaaay better. Also, this was about a year ago, so he was twelve at the time and not as trained-sounding.
I am playing the Queen of France right now in a play. Try not to decapitate me.

Frédéric Dumont

Postby Frédéric Dumont » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:26 pm

You have a cute brother. Can I borrow him? :wink:

Seriously, your siblings are THAT innocent? When I was thirteen, I already knew plenty of stuff that would make a nun blush furiously. :lol:

aka Darth Gilthoron
I am the lawrr and the lawrr is not mocked! *growl*
THE BLOOD OF THE SPAMBOTS SHALL WATER THE MEADOWS OF FRANCE!!!

Schmerg_The_Impaler

Postby Schmerg_The_Impaler » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:03 pm

We're very sheltered. ^_^Heck, I don't understand a lot of the jokes on here. Especially in the "Les Gutterables" thread... I'm not even allowed to have caffeine. (I had it once at homecoming this year by mistake... I thought my iced tea was decaf... Within ten minutes, I'd scrawled "THERE ARE DINOSAURS IN HERE!" on a 'do not enter' sign and was rabidly encouraging my date to beat up an older boy wearing an obnoxious tie.)

My brother is like a kitten that dives for your jugular vein... and while he doesn't know what "Lovely Ladies" are or understand most pervy jokes, he can have a surprisingly sick mind when he so chooses (see: his performance as stripper!Javert).

My sister, however, is like an android. Freakishly perfect... she kind of scares me.

Citizen_Aku

Postby Citizen_Aku » Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:54 am

:lol: Somehow I can't see Zim beating up anyone. Ever. Even with your "rabid encouragement."

Aw, but they're so adorable, Schmerg... and they sing with you, so you don't have to become VERY practiced with singing things like One Day More and Prima Donna entirely on your own. And you can give them advice and stuff. Aku=envious
Real men fight by singing in counterpoint.

98% Machiavellian and demmed proud of it!

Schmerg_The_Impaler

Postby Schmerg_The_Impaler » Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:17 am

Somehow I can't see Zim beating up anyone. Ever. Even with your "rabid encouragement."

Yeah, me, either. :(

SylvieProuvaire1832

Postby SylvieProuvaire1832 » Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:44 am

I miss my brother's boy soprano voice. Now it's all cracky and icky. (He's 13 too. Wish he'd grow out of it. XD)

And as for being sheltered...I'm allowed lovely caffeinated Dr. Pepper and Earl Grey tea...but no boyfriend/dates till I'm 30, apparently. It's the only answer I can get out of them on the subject.

Anyways, to keep this on subject...Paris Revival Cast and Original French Cast.. the French ones....
(BTW, I'm probably butchering the spellings...sorry in advance!)

1. Valjean: I really like bass!Valjean (OFC), though he annoyed me at first, but I also adore Robert Marien (PRC). I refuse to pick a favorite

2. Javert: I like Jacques Mercier's Javert (OFC). I know it's weird, but I find it really funny as opposed to just annoying. I don't really like the Javert in the Paris Cast.

3. Fantine: Louise Pitre (PRC) > Rose Laurens (OFC). I love Louise's Fantine a lot.

4. Thenardiers: I like Thenardier better in the Paris Revival because the original guy annoys me. I like the original Thenardiess better, I suppose.

5. Marius: I really, really like Jerome Pradon’s Marius.(PRC) (His Courfeyrac scares me though) Not so much love for Richard Dewitte (OFC) though.

6. Cosette: I like the original Cosette better than the revival Cosette.

7. Éponine: I really like Stephanie Martin (PRC) and Marie (OFC) in the roles for different reasons. I won’t pick a favorite.

8. Enjolras: Michel Sardou (OFC) > Julien Combey (PRC) I adore Sardou and Combey scares me a bit.

9. Gavroche: Can’t pick a favorite; they are my two favorite Gavroche’s.

10. Assorted Students: In general, I love the students’ voices on the OFC (Esp. Combeferre <3) but the Prouvaire and Grantaire on the PRC are great too.

I’m also really oddly fond the weird orchestrations on the OFC too. *shrugs*
Last edited by SylvieProuvaire1832 on Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Have courage for the greatest sorrows of life and patience for the small ones, and when you have labouriously acomplished your daily tasks, go to sleep in peace. God is awake.

Savoire Faire

Postby Savoire Faire » Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:58 pm

SylvieProuvaire1832 wrote:...but no boyfriend/dates till I'm 30, apparently. It's the only answer I can get out of them on the subject.

That is slightly better than being expected to marry and/or start sprouting offspring shortly after reaching your twenty first birthday. But I digress.

It's Jerome Pradon, btw. *clings to him because he was born in Boulogne-Billancourt*

...and what about Julien's Enjolras, Sylvie? :)
What a pity that in life we only get our lessons when they are of no use to us.

SylvieProuvaire1832

Postby SylvieProuvaire1832 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:02 pm

Yes, that would be worse.

Urgh. I knew I was going to spell something wrong. :oops:

I dunno. I just was never fond of his voice. And he does weird things in 'A la volonte du peuple' :?

He didn't literally scare me though, I guess...
Have courage for the greatest sorrows of life and patience for the small ones, and when you have labouriously acomplished your daily tasks, go to sleep in peace. God is awake.

Frédéric Dumont

Postby Frédéric Dumont » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:55 pm

SylvieProuvaire1832 wrote:I dunno. I just was never fond of his voice. And he does weird things in 'A la volonte du peuple' :?

Do I want to know? :lol:

aka Darth Gilthoron

I am the lawrr and the lawrr is not mocked! *growl*

THE BLOOD OF THE SPAMBOTS SHALL WATER THE MEADOWS OF FRANCE!!!

SylvieProuvaire1832

Postby SylvieProuvaire1832 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:39 pm

It's just weird things with the rhythm that annoy me.
[EDIT: And that 'sssssssss'!

I mean, he's not bad, but I don't like him in the part, I guess.

Savoire Faire

Postby Savoire Faire » Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:19 pm

Pales in comparison to Sardou, eh? :D

Oh and ditto on Valjean.
What a pity that in life we only get our lessons when they are of no use to us.

Annelise

Postby Annelise » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:39 am

This sounds like fun… Granted, it’s been a while since I pulled out either of my two favorite recordings to compare them (yes, I know, shame on me), so this is mostly the result of my impressions from a while ago. Also, this is purely based on voices—not looks, performances, etc., since I haven’t seen any of these performers in person, and therefore have nothing to bring to the table in that regard.

Between the OBC and CSR:

Valjean: OBC. Both Colm Wilkinson and Gary Morris have strengths and weaknesses, so it’s more of a toss-up. Still, Colm has a much stronger voice, and really hits the notes well, especially in Who Am I?. Gary Morris has a decent voice, and I even prefer his Bring Him Home, as it has a softer quality than Colm’s. Morris’s “And I speak here with her voice/And I stand here in her place” always gives me chills.

Javert: CSR. I want to say I’m loyal to Mann because he was the first Javert I heard, but after hearing Quast, there’s really no going back!

Enjolras: CSR, no doubt! And for once reason and one reason only: Anthony Warlow’s “Let others rise to take our place/until the earth is free”! Chills. :)

Fantine: OBC. Strange to say, I have never heard a Fantine that I’ve really and truly enjoyed listening to. I really dislike the quality of Debbie Byrne’s voice in the CSR—it always sounds like she’s on the verge of tears! For that reason alone, I chose the OBC.

Cosette: Again, I haven’t heard a Cosette that I’ve particularly liked as of yet. I’ll go with the OBC on this one. Judy Kuhn has a beautiful voice, and lacks the melodramatic quality that too much vibrato can sometimes produce.

Marius: CSR. No particular reason.

Éponine: OBC. Again, no logical reason, except that I listened to Frances Ruffelle first.

Thenardier: CSR. He cracks me up every time. :)

Madame T: CSR. Gay Soper’s voice seems to completely embody the character. Like with Thenardier, you can’t help but laugh.

Young Cosette: It’s a toss-up—I love listening to both girls. Can’t say so much for the show I saw in person, but here I love the quality and sweetness of their voices.

Gavroche: OBC, hands down. For some reason, Gavroche’s accent on the CSR really bugs me.

Woah…that’s weird. It was a tie! Well, that doesn’t help me determine which I like better, now does it? :)
I live in a world of my own thoughts, where my plans and dreams float about…I hope that you will get to know all my good sides better—those you know and those you don’t know yet. Everything in its own time. -Ala Gertner

SylvieProuvaire1832

Postby SylvieProuvaire1832 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:48 am

Fantine: OBC. Strange to say, I have never heard a Fantine that I’ve really and truly enjoyed listening to. I really dislike the quality of Debbie Byrne’s voice in the CSR—it always sounds like she’s on the verge of tears! For that reason alone, I chose the OBC.

Oooh, I agree completely about Byrne. I cannot stand to listen to her.

Gavroche: OBC, hands down. For some reason, Gavroche’s accent on the CSR really bugs me.

Aw, CSR Gavroche is my favorite english-speaking Gavroche.

lesmisloony

Postby lesmisloony » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:31 am

Marius: CSR. No particular reason.

How about all the reasons Schmerg listed in the TAC vs. OBC thread? I hate me some David Bryant.

Also, I really detest the Young Cosette on the CSR. The way she says "Oh, it's her!" makes me want to punch her myself.

(Then again, I kind of hate kids. Exceptions include most kids with foreign accents/who speak foreign languages, Hannah Chick, Adam Searles, and Abigail Breslin.)

Return to “Les Misérables”