Compare Two Soundtracks

Any discussion related to any production or staging of Boublil and Schönberg's Les Misérables.

Re: Compare Two Soundtracks

Postby 23623 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:42 pm

CC21106 wrote:Is there a thread somewhere that tells what acronyms mean?

Quick acronyms rundown for non-theater fans here! :wink:

Cast recordings:
- OLC = Original London Cast
- OBC = Original Broadway Ccast
- CSR = Complete Symphonic Recording
- TAC = Tenth Anniversary Concert
- 25AC = 25th Anniversary Concert

Songs:
- ODM = One day more (I'm probably the only person who's lazy enough to abbreviate these 3 words haha)
- ATEOTD = At the end of the day
- DYHTPS = Do you hear the people sing
- ALFOR = A little fall of rain
- ECAET = Empty chairs at empty tables
I think that's all. There aren't many songs with ridiculously long titles in LM. :mrgreen:
Revolution, but civilization

CC21106

Postby CC21106 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:49 am

23623 wrote:Quick acronyms rundown for non-theater fans here! :wink:

Thanks very much! I was confused and didn't know where to start looking.
Don't mess with Texas! We mess up enough by ourselves.
I have actually made bullets like they're doing in my avatar. Then loaded the gun with a ramrod, and shot it. But I'm not feeling real good about guns right now.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:03 pm

You are certainly not the only one who calls it ODM!
There's also IDAD - I Dreamed A Dream, DWM - Drink With Me, and OMO - On My Own
Also cast wise, there's JOJ for John Owen-Jones
I'm doing a scene breakdown for our production and even though I know there are non obsessive fans going to be reading it, I can't stop myself from using DYHTPS!
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

Postby 23623 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:19 am

So here's the rest of my OBC vs TAC comparison which somehow becomes OLC vs OBC vs TAC, lol.

:arrow: Marius --> TAC no contest
Oh my God OBC Marius, you sing as if you are a ghost! :shock: :shock: Why isn't anybody complaining about him? It's really unfair that Terrence alone receives all the criticism. :mrgreen: He's surprisingly acceptable when he's with Cosette, but ABC Cafe and ECAET are just painful to listen to...:roll:
In TAC, Marius' part in Cafe is adorable beyond description. Just look at Michael Ball's face when he sings "had you been there tonight you might know how it feels...what was wrong seemed right". Best Marius moment of TAC imo.

:arrow: Thenardiers --> definitely TAC
I was really serious when I said in my previous post that Master of the House became one of my favorite LM songs after watching TAC. I've never seen another Thenardier couple whose acting is anywhere close to TAC level.

:arrow: Fantine --> TAC
In fact I haven't seen any musical Fantine that I like. Most of Fantines just don't appear miserable enough to me. But TAC Fantine (forget her name) has a beautiful voice, in fact the most incredibly beautiful voice among all Fantines I've listened to. This alone is enough to win my vote for her. However she looks more like a heavenly being than the poor young lady Fantine. And OBC Fantine...well she's like many other Fantines who are trying very hard to be miserable but just can't convince me. I'm very picky about musical Fantine, I know...

:arrow: Cosette --> OLC! *gunshot* I'm (not) sorry. :D
Actually I think Judy is miscast as Cosette. When I watched TAC I thought she was too old for that role. And now I listened to OBC where she was 8 years younger, but she still sounded too old to be a convincing Cosette. Come on, even the grown up Cosette is like only 17 years old in the book. She shouldn't sound as old as Fantine in the show! Rebecca on the other hand is absolutely adorable. Her voice is better than Judy's. And I really love "I saw him once" which only exists in OLC (I would be really haply if someone can tell me that it's not true). I don't know why it got cut. Now the grown up Cosette doesn't even have her solo song while Éponine does, which is really unfair. So my vote goes to OLC. :D

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:06 pm

It's in the OLC and other "unofficial" recordings ;) But I think it's only in a couple of those, with the accompanying quality issues for the period of course.

OBC Marius is terrible. Like, I think I've actually forgotten his name (David Bryant? Something Bryant? Something totally else?) because of how he never even enters into discussion because of how bad he is. I legitimately never play the OBC in general though.

TAC Fantine is Ruthie Henshall btw, aka Queen Ruthie <3
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Postby 23623 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:35 pm

I somehow forgot about Valjean last time (gosh...how could I?) but I'll say OLC is the best too. Colm is not among my favorite Valjeans to begin with. He's just less annoying in OLC. Plus OLC confrontation is my all time favorite. :D

I guess I need to correct the false information about Terrence. I mistook someone else for him in Scarlet Pimpernel so actually I've never listened to anything of him. But this doesn't change the fact that I dislike his Javert. Whether I'll like his Chauvelin though...wait and see. :wink:

Acaila wrote:It's in the OLC and other "unofficial" recordings ;) But I think it's only in a couple of those, with the accompanying quality issues for the period of course.

Oh thank you so much Acaila! This makes me extremely happy!!!

Acaila wrote:TAC Fantine is Ruthie Henshall btw, aka Queen Ruthie <3

Oh now I remember!! I've been confusing her with Frances since forever. She's an amazing actress. It's just that she's not an ideal Fantine for me. She needs to play Lily Craven someday I'm dying to see this.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:43 pm

Who do you prefer to Colm out of interest?

Weirdly I always got confused when I found out Ruthie wasn't a natural blonde. Looking back now it really is screamingly obvious!
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Postby 23623 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:50 pm

My current favorite Valjean is Geronimo Rauch. :wink: To be honest I prefer some "tough guys" playing Valjean because I don't want Valjean to be "nice old guy bishop" no.2. I even prefer Ramin to Colm seriously.

Aaand really...how can you miss that she's not naturally blond! That's really obvious. But she does look good with blond hair. :P

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:35 pm

Yeah, I have discussed before how some Valjeans are a bit "santa on the chain gang", and Colm suffers from that a bit due to age and lack of costume/hair/makeup changes in the TAC. Gero is a darling though.
Would be interested to hear what you thought of Dudu Fisher. He's an interesting mix between someone's uncle and a scary ex con I think :D

And in answer to your question, I am really really dumb sometimes. Really really dumb.
Abaisse Chief/Chef

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:06 am

One time she even forgot Greece was a country!

*helpful response is helpful* *cuts and dashes*
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:45 pm

Pfffft that was like 13 years ago!
Today I forgot my own name and how to count to two (I wish I was joking)
Abaisse Chief/Chef

CC21106

Postby CC21106 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:20 pm

I am listening to, in French though I don't know any, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZoOpdM-Hi0. I get the feeling the French is considerably more poetic than the English translation, which would figure since the words had to be chosen to fit the music.
Don't mess with Texas! We mess up enough by ourselves.
I have actually made bullets like they're doing in my avatar. Then loaded the gun with a ramrod, and shot it. But I'm not feeling real good about guns right now.

Return to “Les Misérables”