Les Misérables Denmark 2017

Any discussion related to any production or staging of Boublil and Schönberg's Les Misérables.
Morbidmuch_

Les Misérables Denmark 2017

Postby Morbidmuch_ » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:19 am

A Danish production of Les Mis is being put on in September/October, which will involve an actual revolving stage (!).

Translated from the venue website: (Note that I've translated the text into Swedish first since I don't understand Danish, so the translation could be a bit weird)
"For the Les Misérables show, the MCH will use a large rotating stage to create a flow in the show. The stage, which is borrowed from the Royal Theater, will go out 2 meters (about 6.5 ft) from the orchestra pit, which will create an intense experience for the audience.
- The revole, which is 12 meters in diameter (about 39 ft) will be a part of the scenography. For example will the barricades on the streest of Paris turn fully around, says scenographer Per Steenberg."

Being about a three hour train ride from Denmark, I'm pretty tempted to buy a ticket. I'm a bit hesitant though because I don't understand Danish one bit (and I think it's an ugly language :lol:).
Those of you who has seen Les Mis in languages other than your mothertongue (or language you don't understand), how would you rate the experience?
Lamarque est mort [disco dances patriotically]

Re: Les Misérables Denmark 2017

Postby 23623 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:06 pm

Wow a new production! I always feel quite excited for new productions of Les Mis even though I know I can't see them. (Les Mis, look what you've done to me)

Re language: I personally don't think language is a big problem since you've already learned the English lyrics by heart. Of course if you don't understand the language you won't be able to tell how good or bad the translation is, and maybe you'll find some acting choices weird while they actually make perfect sense with the Danish lyrics. But besides that you won't lose much. Most of my early Les Mis boots are from foreign productions besides the 1st revival, and honestly I like the foreign ones even better. I'm also a huge nerd for German musicals though I can't utter a single grammatically correct sentence in German. Btw if you want to go to stagedoor, you can just talk to the actors in English. :D

If you're going, I wish you'll enjoy the show! And maybe bring us a review when you're back? :D

...I somehow have the impression that you Scandinavians have the superpower to understand each other. Obviously I'm wrong. :oops:
Revolution, but civilization

Morbidmuch_

Postby Morbidmuch_ » Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:17 pm

23623 wrote:...I somehow have the impression that you Scandinavians have the superpower to understand each other. Obviously I'm wrong. :oops:

Norwegian I can understand fairly well, but Danish just goes right over my head. Which is not good considering I'm going to a wedding in Copenhagen next weekend. :lol:

Postby 23623 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:31 pm

Morbidmuch_ wrote:Norwegian I can understand fairly well, but Danish just goes right over my head. Which is not good considering I'm going to a wedding in Copenhagen next weekend. :lol:

Ah a wedding! Have fun! :D

Cast list of the production.
Revolution, but civilization

Morbidmuch_

Postby Morbidmuch_ » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:24 pm

I think I've decided against seeing the Danish production; the tickets I looked at were more expensive than the West end ones, so I'm gonna save up and hopefully do another London trip soon-isch instead.

Return to “Les Misérables”