West End Cast - 2017/2018

Any discussion related to any production or staging of Boublil and Schönberg's Les Misérables.
Olivia_y

Re: West End Cast - 2017/2018

Postby Olivia_y » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:50 pm

Morbidmuch_ wrote:This made me laugh and nod in agreement, but also made me feel like a creeper bacause I'm like 7 years older than him :lol:

Lol! How old is he anyway? Around about 22 (but he looks 17 :lol: )?

Morbidmuch_

Postby Morbidmuch_ » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:55 pm

Olivia_y wrote:Lol! How old is he anyway? Around about 22 (but he looks 17 :lol: )?

Didn't someone on here say he was 22?
Lamarque est mort [disco dances patriotically]

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:18 am

Isn't Enjolras 27? I'm sure I remember getting angsty at that age that I was surviving him.
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

Postby 23623 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:17 am

I remember seeing two versions of canon timeline the other day... here and here. Both said that he was born in 1806 so that would make him 26 in 1832...? But Hugo did say that he was 22?

...anyway I still find it difficult to picture a true-to-book Enjolras on stage lol. Blame it on the TAC. :oops:
Revolution, but civilization

Morbidmuch_

Postby Morbidmuch_ » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:59 am

Acaila wrote:Isn't Enjolras 27? I'm sure I remember getting angsty at that age that I was surviving him.

I believe he was portrayed as 22 in 1828 when we first meet him, and therefore 26 at the barricades. What me and Olivia (or I at least) was wondering was the age of Hyoie O'Grady :lol:

Olivia_y

Postby Olivia_y » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:15 am

Yeah I was also speculating about Hyoie's age. On his agent's website his 'playing age' is listed as 21 - 25.
Did I mention he 'dies' with his eyes open (or at least he did this time, not the first time I watched him), that was freaky.

Also, I think E/R fans who are expecting the same amount of hugging/affection as some of the more recent casts will be disappointed. There's really very little interaction or physical contact between them at all. (TBH I'm kind of happy about that since it was starting to get way too OOC.

Olivia_y

Postby Olivia_y » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:57 am

Last night was Jeremy's final show as Javert, and I'm so sad that my 'big four' from the 2016/17 season are now all gone :cry: .

He got an amazing reception for curtain call, so much so that I wonder if people who are there as a first-timer (or just a 'casual' fan) were confused at why Javert was getting such a response! After everyone took their bows Killian and Jeremy were hugging it out on stage, the the rest of the cast ran back and basically smothered Jeremy in a group hug. I heard the person behind me ask '...okay why are they all hugging him?'. :lol:

Other cast notes: Alice Ellen Wright was on as Fantine, I think this was only her third(?) time, and already I like her so much more than Carley! There was a lot more vulnerability there in addition to the anger/bitterness - whereas Carley was just all bitterness.

Blooper note: poor Hyoie - "Let all the women and children...(pause as he realises what he just said)...go from here" :lol:

Morbidmuch_

Postby Morbidmuch_ » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:30 am

Aw, that curtain call sounds so sweet! I'd probably cry if I was there.

I think it's such a shame when actresses play Fantine with only bitterness, she's not a one dimensional character.

Bloopers makes me giggle. At least it was a line that's a bit probable, it could have been a lot worse :lol:

Postby 23623 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:23 am

Sorry this is super late but I just found that someone posted Jeremy's last Suicide audio here. :D

Um, to be honest I don't quite like what he was doing there. It's a bit over the top. But oh God I wish I were there! The audience were so lovely and the group hug was so sweet indeed. And I'm sure I'd have been more emotional than he was had I been in the audience.

Olivia_y wrote:Blooper note: poor Hyoie - "Let all the women and children...(pause as he realises what he just said)...go from here" :lol:

Yay I love bloopers! :mrgreen: Tbh though I didn't realize what's wrong the first few times I read this. Then I tried to sing it myself and...OH, Ooooooh hahaha :mrgreen:

Olivia_y

Postby Olivia_y » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:46 pm

The pictures outside the Queen's Theatre are in the transition phase. They've replaced the individual pictures of Valjean/Javert/Fantine with Killian, Hayden and Carley, the Marius/Cosette/Éponine picture with Karis in place of Hollie, the 'Enjolras-throws-the-papers' moment with Hyoie, and the 'Master of the House' scene with Steven and Jacqueline. But the big group pics (the barricade and ODM) are still unchanged, so there's this odd mismatch where you've got weird mismatched series with two sets of Valjean, Javert, Enjolras and Éponine.

Also, I'm annoyed about the whole not-tweeting-about-understudies thing. The Twitter account usually only gets the info not long before the show, by which time it'd be too late to get tickets. I quite liked Alice Ellen Wright as Fantine and would've loved to check out her Éponine as well.

Postby 23623 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:02 am

Just read a review of the performance last night. Here are two things I think you really need to know:

First, Killian did a nose bopping thing too. But guess what?
He did it to Fantine.
... :shock: :lol:

Second, he nearly missed his entrance in the factory scene. When he said "come on ladies settle down" apparently everyone had already settled down. :lol:

Olivia_y

Postby Olivia_y » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:01 pm

Silver lining of the new cast: I'm not nearly as attached to the principals as I was with the last cast, so I can get excited about understudies again! And TBH I think I've preferred the covers for every role I've managed to get a cover for so far...is that weird?

Alice Ellen Wright: she's the first cover for both Fantine and Éponine (which is kind of an awesome job since she gets to sing two of the major solos), and I've liked her better than both principals. I just can't warm to Carley Stenson at all - her voice is great but I have no idea who she's meant to be playing, she wears Fantine's costume and sings her songs but she's not Fantine at all, she's way too angry all the time - by the end of IDAD it sounds more like she's throwing a temper tantrum rather than being devoid of hope. Alice isn't exactly Lucy O'Byrne - level good, but she's much better.

Shaq Taylor: he's definitely channelling Jeremy's Javert - from the way he sings '...and so it must be!' to the way he does the 'fall' from the bridge, it's all very Jeremy. They don't look or sound alike but the mannerisms are very similar. Although Shaq moves a lot faster than Jeremy (probably on account of being a lot younger lol) so it was the most 'physical' Confrontation I've ever seen - I was genuinely concerned he might actually hit Killian.

Katie Kerr : Madam Thenardier has some lines that should be 'easy laughs', but Jacqueline Tate has the worst comedic timing I've ever watched - she's the only one who's ever managed to /not/ get a laugh from the 'thinks he's quite a lover but there's not much there'. Katie's portrayal is very Jenny Galloway-esque, I wouldn't say there was anything original about it, but it is what it's meant to be.

TheRandomPhangirl

Postby TheRandomPhangirl » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:53 pm

Olivia_y wrote:Shaq Taylor: he's definitely channelling Jeremy's Javert - from the way he sings '...and so it must be!' to the way he does the 'fall' from the bridge, it's all very Jeremy. They don't look or sound alike but the mannerisms are very similar. Although Shaq moves a lot faster than Jeremy (probably on account of being a lot younger lol) so it was the most 'physical' Confrontation I've ever seen - I was genuinely concerned he might actually hit Killian.

I'm gutted I'm probably not going to be able to see Shaq as Javert, I really like his voice. Fingers crossed I'm lucky if and when I next go.

I went last Friday, and I have more Thoughts.

Thankfully, a working barricade again. Apparently they'd had tech issues earlier in the week; my piano pupil and her dad went for the Wednesday matinée and apparently they had to stop the show during Paris because the towers weren't working. I'm a bizarre mix of hypercritical and easily amused when it comes to Les Mis, but there really wasn't a lot I could fault.

Hayden Tee was actually a lot better for me than in April, and when he wasn't snapping and growling (i.e actually *singing* his lines), he wasn't half bad. Less smugness too, thank god. His Stars was the best I've heard, live or on recording, and he's got a big voice in there. I just wish he wouldn't snap so much.
Got Karis Jack as Éponine this time, and I like her! Her voice took me a while to warm too, but I liked her acting. She was very stubborn and snappy, but not unlikeable, and thank god, she actually looked like she cared about Marius. She was incredibly sweet at stagedoor too.
Paul Wilkins gets more and more likeable the more I see him. His voice is still...odd, its timbre sounds a bit flat. Empty Chairs was very nicely sung, though, especially "became their last communion". Nice big note there!
Charlotte Kennedy seemed more interested in her role this time around, though she still sings on consonants arrrRRRGGHHH! That's the first thing my singing teacher tells me *not* to do, espeically when dealing with the higher vocal registers. Maybe that's just me having a pet peeve, though.
Ok, I really am liking Hyoie O'Grady as Enjolras. He's got a good set of cords in there, and he doesn't come across as too snarly or shouty. He had these really nice moments of quiet inbetween the more action packed scenes, and he sang the Bb on "Free!" in Final Battle. That's something that will instantly endear me to an Enjolras. I'd perhaps even go so far as to say he's actually on par with Mark Uhre in terms of my favourite Enjolrati.
The Thenardiers were less annoyingly crap this time...though I really wish someone would just stop Steven Meo from adlibbing during the Wedding, and for heaven's sake man, drop the french accent. It sounds so craaaaap.
And Killian continues to be a solid Valjean. Shook my hand at stage door, that was cool.
Oh, and Gavroche! What a cute little badass this kid was!
I'm the one to shout "Down with Polignac!"

Olivia_y

Postby Olivia_y » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:04 pm

TheRandomPhangirl wrote:I'm gutted I'm probably not going to be able to see Shaq as Javert, I really like his voice.

Here's Shaq singing Stars if you want a preview: http://olivia-y113.tumblr.com/post/164929598514/

Ugh, the 'French' accent is so grating I've taken to covering my ears to to shut it out.

Morbidmuch_

Postby Morbidmuch_ » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:34 pm

@Olivia_y
I just listened to your new Enjolras audio and can I just say daaaaaaaamn (their warnings, damn their lies. :lol: ). That was so good. I reaaally hope I'm gonna get a chance to see this cast before they move on.

Return to “Les Misérables”