London Cast 2017

Any discussion related to any production or staging of Boublil and Schönberg's Les Misérables.
Olivia_y

Re: London Cast 2017

Postby Olivia_y » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:48 pm

23623 wrote:Am I a bad person for kind of wanting Hayden Tee to go?

If only it was David Thaxton returning as Javert instead. That might've made the announcement easier to take. But it doesn't seem like Thaxton's been involved in musical theatre for a while.

TBH I'm kind of surprised Hayden's been asked back, I don't recall the response to him being that great (at least not Jeremy-level great) when he was just here. It'd be kind of interesting to see him with Killian I guess...

Postby 23623 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:19 pm

Olivia_y wrote:
23623 wrote:Am I a bad person for kind of wanting Hayden Tee to go?

If only it was David Thaxton returning as Javert instead. That might've made the announcement easier to take. But it doesn't seem like Thaxton's been involved in musical theatre for a while.

TBH I'm kind of surprised Hayden's been asked back, I don't recall the response to him being that great (at least not Jeremy-level great) when he was just here. It'd be kind of interesting to see him with Killian I guess...

Hehe...I have a couple of audios with Thaxton as Javert but I haven't listened to them yet. I don't like Peter Lockyer as Valjean. That's kind of a...big issue. But since I'm on a good Javert hunt now I'll give him a try.

Hayden was ASKED back? :shock: Where can I sign a petition or something to ask him to go? (Just kidding. No offense intended.)
And Jeremy is great indeed! "Jean Valjean is nothing now! Another story must go on!" -- hands down the greatest thing I've heard in a while. :lol: No but seriously, he should have been the one asked to stay. :(

Oh, and I also need to search this new Valjean. My knowledge about London casts is so miserably poor. :oops:
Revolution, but civilization

Olivia_y

Postby Olivia_y » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:26 pm

23623 wrote: Hayden was ASKED back? :shock:

Well I assume he was asked back by the production, it's not like made the decision on his own :wink: .

23623 wrote: Oh, and I also need to search this new Valjean. My knowledge about London casts is so miserably poor. :oops:

Killian Donnelly played Combeferre in the movie, which is a tiny role but might give you some idea. He was also Enjolras a number of years ago (2010 or thereabouts), which has been described as 'cosplaying Thaxton' lol.

Sorry about the negative-ness over the new cast, I don't want to turn this thread into a whinging session and I always feel bad complaining about performers when they obviously love what they do and are putting in all that effort. It's just that...when it doesn't click, it just doesn't.

I really wish I felt about Hayden the way I do about Jeremy. I know he has a lot of enthusiastic fans (going by the comments on FB or Twitter), and how thrilled would you be if you thought your favourite has left but then it's announced he's going to be back soon! That'd be such a gift, but for me it's just...frustrating. If it was a new casting, at least I'd be thinking 'he could be really good, don't judge until you know'. But with Hayden...I do already know, and he's been at it for long enough that I don't think he's going to change his approach (unless he and Killian want to try a totally new dynamic or something). It was okay when I knew it was a limited run, but now it looks like a long-term arrangement it's just...I'll be on the lookout for when covers are on I guess.

Back in December 2013 I visited London to watch Les Mis live for the first time, and on the same trip I had tickets to The Commitments, which Killian Donnelly was in at the time. I was mad about him back then, seriously loved the guy. But then it turned out he was on holidays the same week I was in London, and I was so crushed about that, worried I'd never get another chance to see him live. If someone had told me then that three and a half years later I'd be living in London and he'd be back in Les Mis, I would've been over the moon (okay maybe not the part about waiting 3.5 years). And if they then told me that my main reaction to the casting announcement is one of...conflicted sadness...I would've said they didn't know what they were talking about. How things change!
Last edited by Olivia_y on Wed May 03, 2017 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:20 pm

I'm feeling rather meh about this if I'm honest. I like Killers in general, but I don't know that I feel massively enthused about him as Valjean (my favourite thing of him is probably Raoul in POTO! I do love the phrase "cosplaying Thaxton" though!). Hayden .....well Havvy and I watched a Broadway vid of him last week and....ehhhh..... And then some randomer from Hollyoaks is never going to exactly fill me with delight. And Chris Cowley :( We really need a video don't we? Preserve him for posterity!
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

Morbidmuch_

Postby Morbidmuch_ » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:24 pm

Acaila wrote:And Chris Cowley :( We really need a video don't we? Preserve him for posterity!

I feel exactly the same way :( I actually feel sad I'm not going to be able to see him live again. Seeing as this was my first time seeing Les Mis on stage since becoming obsessed I suppose this is a feeling I need to get used to :roll: :lol:
Lamarque est mort [disco dances patriotically]

Postby 23623 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:54 pm

Finally got an audio where all the principals were on. Have some thoughts about the cast. Note that I'm only listening to an audio - because there are two continents and a channel between London and me, I have to make do with what I have - so those who have seen the show on stage please feel free to correct me if I get something wrong.

Act 1 only at the moment because I'm afraid the whole thing would be too long. Skipped Stars for obvious reasons. (Whoa that's the shortest rant I've ever ranted about Hayden Tee.)

Soliloquy
Just want to point out one simple fact: Simon Gleeson was amazing. The way he sang "they gave me a number and murdered Valjean" was awesome!

IDAD
I have to say, I had really high expectation of Lucy but ended up a little bit...disappointed. Well to be precise I wasn't exactly disappointed, I was just...confused by her portrayal of Fantine here. She started so well with "there was a time..." that I almost thought she would be the first stage-Fantine that I actually like. Her voice was trembling and she sounded so broken and weary. But when she started "I dreamed a dream in times gone by..." she became totally emotionless as if she was telling a story of someone else, and she kept her...cool...until "autumn came". :shock: Then suddenly she was once again the damsel in distress from "I had a dream my life would be..." till the end of the song. I was utterly confused at her change of moods. :?

Fantine's arrest
"Javeeeeert (low dramatic villainous voice) would you believe it...when this pppprrrostitute attacked me" I actually rofl-ed. :lol: But! But!! But!!! Seconds later Hayden Tee got influenced by the comic moment and did a similar thing in his line! And this time I just... :roll: "you may rest assured monsieeeeeeuur (flirting voice)" Seriously Hayden, this from you, the angriest of angry Javerts?! :roll:
On the other hand, the exchange between Fantine and Valjean was great!

Who am I
Simon Gleeson sounded 24601 times more desperate and helpless than most of other Valjeans, which was a total surprise! Wasn't expecting it at all. He was like "Oh Javert you ridiculous fool! Now I have absolutely no idea what to do. Should I confess? I probably should but God help me I really don't want to". The unwillingness to sacrifice himself was really blatant in his soliloquy, compared to many other Valjeans'. Actually the only line he sang with absolute determination was "my soul belongs to God I konw I made that bargain long ago". He didn't hold the epic "oooooooone", which I also took as "Valjean not being so sure about himself and secretly hoping he had not confessed". :mrgreen: Very interesting take of the song in general.

Fantine's death
ohmygodohmygod OH MY GOD. Best thing on this recording. Words cannot describe how bad this hurt me. :cry:
I might have been a bit disappointed in Lucy before but she totally won me with this song. She was struggling to breathe as she sang in broken sentences. "And I'll sing you a lullaby and wake you in the morning"...I'm not crying. I'm not. You are crying. :cry: And stop torturing my heart, Lucy. (No, please, you are very welcome to do this. Just go and break my heart I don't need it anymore.)

Red and black
This Marius, ugh...I don't know what to say. :roll: He was definitely not the worst Marius but he didn't stand out either. I haven't seen any video but I imagine his style was kind of similar to Rob Hochen? (Is this the correct spelling?) His singing voice sounded somewhat unnatural. I got the feeling that he was *playing* Marius, not that he *was* Marius. And the way he sang about Cosette...hmm, I wasn't convinced that he loved her. He didn't show much desire or despair throughout the song.
Chris was the best London principal Enjolras since 2011 imo. He had the correct voice and also correct looks (judging from the reviews here), so yeah!

In my life
Hehe, Charlotte Kennedy. Her voice wasn't bad per se. High notes would not be a problem for her. But she seemed like the overacting type to me. She got overexcited at some point (like when she was thinking about Marius) and was literally yelling, and then suddenly she became quite again, and a few seconds later she started yelling again. She was better when Valjean came in though. I love the "in your eyes I'm just like a child" bits. Such a cute petulant child.

Ok I'll stop rambling now. Apologize for the Hugo-length post. :oops:
Revolution, but civilization

Olivia_y

Postby Olivia_y » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:33 pm

Acaila wrote:And Chris Cowley :( We really need a video don't we? Preserve him for posterity!

Morbidmuch_ wrote:I feel exactly the same way :( I actually feel sad I'm not going to be able to see him live again.

The closest we have at the moment is his performance in West End live last year. Obviously it's not the same since it was at the start of his run so he wasn't that good, and they hadn't quite figured out what to do with his hair (it looks much better without that ponytail)...but it's filmed professionally so the picture quality's good at least.

23623 wrote:And this time I just... :roll: "you may rest assured monsieeeeeeuur (flirting voice)" Seriously Hayden, this from you, the angriest of angry Javerts?! :roll:

Lol, you should see him say that while sashaying, it really does get rather comical.

Now that the new cast has been announced I really want to know where the leaving cast members are going. I'm going to play the speculation game here (could be wildly off, but it's all I can think about right now so really this is like venting almost...)

First of all, I really hope they all stay in the West End.

A few people on Twitter have speculated Jeremy might return to PotO in the leading role. Jeremy did say in an interview a while back that the role he enjoyed the most (out of Sweeny Todd, the Phantom and Javert) is the Phantom, so if the offer was made I'm sure he'd accept. He finishes Les Mis mid-July and Ben Forster's contract as the Phantom ends in early September, so the timing would be right. I don't know how he was as the Phantom, and I've never been to PotO so I don't have much of a frame of reference, but if this actually happens I might have to finally go watch that show.

Trying to guess where Chris Cowley would go is a bit harder. A few of the people who've played Enjolras end up going to PotO, including Killian Donnelly, Luke McCall and Anton Zetterholm (Swedish cast). Bradley Jaden went on to Wicked, so I guess that's another possibility. I have no idea what Michael Colbourne did after Les Mis. It would be awesome if Chris and Jeremy were in the same show (although I'm not sure if a Raoul-type role would suit Chris).
Last edited by Olivia_y on Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Morbidmuch_

Postby Morbidmuch_ » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:06 pm

23623 wrote:Chris was the best London principal Enjolras since 2011 imo. He had the correct voice and also correct looks (judging from the reviews here), so yeah!

You wouldn't mind sharing that audio? :D I'm dying for some Chris audio :lol: :P

Morbidmuch_

Postby Morbidmuch_ » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:34 pm

Olivia_y wrote: Obviously it's not the same since it was at the start of his run so he wasn't that good, and they hadn't quite figured out what to do with his hair (it looks much better without that ponytail)

He kind of looks like a young Christopher Walken with that hair :lol: :lol:

Olivia_y

Postby Olivia_y » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:35 pm

Here's a reasonably good audio of Chris (from ABC cafe to DYHTPS): http://olivia-y113.tumblr.com/post/160128100829/

Morbidmuch_

Postby Morbidmuch_ » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:52 pm

You're the best Olivia!

Since I'm a total newbie in the whole bootleg area, do you have any sites or tumblrs to recommend where one can find good bootlegs? :)

Olivia_y

Postby Olivia_y » Mon May 01, 2017 12:21 pm

Hmm, you can probably do a search on Tumblr, but I haven't come across that many for when Chris Cowley is in the cast, most of the ones I've come across are still Bradley Jaden.

(It's a pity Chris isn't staying another year, I get the feeling there'll be more boots popping up once Killian joins the cast).

You know, this would be a REALLY good time for the Production (or the Queen's Theatre, I don't know which one is responsible for this kind of thing) to film a new video promo! The one on their ticketing website is still from when Thaxton/Sullivan were in the cast (with Alistair Brammer as Marius and Katie Bell as Cosette). I mean I do love their performances but that was, what, 7 years ago? The current cast is seriously perfect, even though none of them are really big name, and if they're going to film a promo they need to do it NOW.

Morbidmuch_

Postby Morbidmuch_ » Tue May 02, 2017 8:28 pm

Olivia_y wrote:Hmm, you can probably do a search on Tumblr, but I haven't come across that many for when Chris Cowley is in the cast, most of the ones I've come across are still Bradley Jaden.

I agree, it's definitely time to update the video promo! (If for no other reason than for us to get to see Chris' beautiful cheek bones before he leaves)

Olivia_y

Postby Olivia_y » Wed May 03, 2017 4:28 pm

Morbidmuch_

Postby Morbidmuch_ » Fri May 05, 2017 8:25 pm

Kind of off topic, but since Killian's coming back to Les Mis it's sort of on topic: I know from the credits that he was in the Phantom 25th at the Royal Albert Hall, but I haven't manage to find anywhere which role he plays. Ensemble roles obviously, but it would be cool to know which ones. I've already spotted Katie Hall in the Masquerade scene but no sign of my favourite ginger yet. :D :lol:

Return to “Les Misérables”