London Cast 2017

Any discussion related to any production or staging of Boublil and Schönberg's Les Misérables.
deHavilland

Re: London Cast 2017

Postby deHavilland » Fri May 05, 2017 9:31 pm

Killers is in the Hannibal scene at the beginning, and a fire marshall towards the end. I'm not sure where he is in Masquerade -- but there is a jester who sort of looks like he has the same chin, lol.
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Olivia_y

Postby Olivia_y » Sun May 07, 2017 12:58 pm

Is it odd that Jonny Purchase has been an ensemble member for so long (since 2012-ish, with a brief break in the middle)? I would've expected that he'd get cast in a principal role by now. Maybe he prefers it this way (less pressure?)...? Has there been any other cast members who've stayed in the ensemble for so long?

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sun May 07, 2017 3:16 pm

Oh man, I hadn't noticed Killian was in it at all (judge me all you like, but I so love his Raoul)

As for Jonny P, Paul Monaghan was in the ensemble for about 15 years if memory serves! I would dearly love to see Jonny as principal Marius though. He's such a cutie :(
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

Morbidmuch_

Postby Morbidmuch_ » Sun May 07, 2017 6:01 pm

Acaila wrote:judge me all you like, but I so love his Raoul

No judgement here, I love his Raoul too.
Lamarque est mort [disco dances patriotically]

Olivia_y

Postby Olivia_y » Tue May 09, 2017 12:12 pm

Acaila wrote:Paul Monaghan was in the ensemble for about 15 years if memory serves!

Wow, that's a long time! :shock: I guess he must know everything inside out and backwards.

The Twitter users of the cast have started posting about rehearsing with the new cast. It's like they're trying to rip my heart out.

Olivia_y

Postby Olivia_y » Fri May 12, 2017 3:28 pm

In today's issue of random inconsequential things that shouldn't affect my mood but does: they've changed the picture of Javert outside the Queen's Theatre from Hayden to Jeremy; I guess they'll change it back in July but for now they have pictures of both Simon and Jeremy up and that made me smile like a complete idiot when I walked past the theatre today. :lol:

On Twitter, it appears that Adam Linstead has also returned to the cast, but it doesn't look like he'll be a named character this time. To be honest I wasn't really wild about his Grantaire (circa 2013/14) so I'd prefer a new person in the role, but it's kind of cute how people keep returning to the show.

Olivia_y

Postby Olivia_y » Sat May 13, 2017 12:17 am

Ah! I was mistaken about Adam Linstead! He is indeed back as Grantaire. Surprised me, since I could've sworn it was announced that Andy Conaghan would play that role 'til the cast change.

Review: like I already mentioned I wasn't really a fan of his Grantaire back when he was in the show in 2013/14, and...I can't say much has changed really. I think he's rather popular with E/R fans though, because he plays up the 'Drink with Me' moments full fan service. Instead of just hugging normally, he throws his arms around Enjolras' waist, it's kind of an awkward position since he's bent over and Enjolras can't exactly hug him back. They sort of stay like that for a while until Enjolras pushes him to sit down, and then they proceed to spend the rest of the song with their faces about an inch apart. When Enjolras walks away, he reaches out for him but then thinks better of it. I can't remember if he was this touchy-feely with Anton Zetterholm.

(Come to think of it, there hasn't really been a stage Grantaire I've really liked, unless you count Anthony Crivello from way back when.)

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Sat May 13, 2017 12:44 am

I think you would have liked Tom Zemon. He was more Crivello-esque, kind of a dark drunk. I'm sort of with you, Linstead was a little too bubbly for me.
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Morbidmuch_

Postby Morbidmuch_ » Tue May 16, 2017 9:10 pm

Olivia_y wrote:Instead of just hugging normally, he throws his arms around Enjolras' waist, it's kind of an awkward position since he's bent over and Enjolras can't exactly hug him back. They sort of stay like that for a while until Enjolras pushes him to sit down, and then they proceed to spend the rest of the song with their faces about an inch apart. When Enjolras walks away, he reaches out for him but then thinks better of it

I believe there's a video on youtube of this from the 25th tour. I actually think the way he reaches for Enjolras but stops himself is kind of cute (read: heart-breaking) but on the whole I feel that scene is just too much. For people who doesn't know the story I doubt it makes much sense as it does for us die hards. I'm not too fond of him vocalwise either, especially in the "Is Marius in love at last" line in ABC Café. His Grantaire comes of very unsympathetic, I think.
Lamarque est mort [disco dances patriotically]

Postby 23623 » Wed May 17, 2017 2:44 pm

Sorry for the slightly off-topic rant...but some musical-Rs really annoy me. I hate hate HATE the "bottle penis" thing. :evil: Also I hate it when Grantaire behaves like an absolute idiot in Cafe, flirting around, kissing Marius and things like that. He's drunk, not mad. And he's the cynic on the barricade, not the comic relief. :roll:
Revolution, but civilization

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Wed May 17, 2017 6:55 pm

I lurrrrrrrrve Adam Linstead. Think he captures a lot about the part beyond the drunkenness. And his R works in a shippy sense, but doesn't stray too far into outright fanservice that it abandons the Brick for me. That said, I did not like him at all on the UK tour, only at the Queens.
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

Olivia_y

Postby Olivia_y » Sat May 20, 2017 12:32 am

23623 wrote:I hate hate HATE the "bottle penis" thing.

Lol, then you'll probably hate Adam Linstead, his bottle penis is practically a propellor. :lol:

Morbidmuch_ wrote:I'm not too fond of him vocalwise either, especially in the "Is Marius in love at last" line in ABC Café. His Grantaire comes of very unsympathetic, I think.

I actually rather like his vocals, but I agree with unsympathetic, he seems too...casual, and he tried to be funny during DWM (playing drunk), and while I don't mind moments of humour, that was certainly not the time for it! It's like when a Thenardier actor tries to be funny during 'Dog eats dog', just doesn't fit.

---

Oh you know how a while back when I mentioned they changed the pictures outside the Queens (to Simon and Hayden etc.) I said I was disappointed there won't be a brochure with both Simon and Jeremy? Well it exists! It's not a complete changeover (the big ODM picture still has Peter, Zoe etc.) and some of the pictures of Simon were lifted from his old productions (the wigs are slightly different, but probably not too obvious).

Speaking of which, to soften the blow of the cast change (for me), I've been trying to pick out stuff that I don't like about their performances:
- Simon: physically he's probably a bit too slight to be believable as JVJ; I don't think height is that big a deal for the character, but he's really thin as well; when he started in Australia he made an effort to bulk up and looked pretty good, but he seems to have lost all the weight again.
- Jeremy: his suicide can be a bit...OTT, although it changes from show to show, I much prefer it when he goes with a 'calmer' rendition; also, he does this scream of frustration when he couldn't find JVJ after the barricades fall, which is kind of weird.
- Lucy: when she falls out of bed and starts crawling towards 'Cosette', she crawls a bit too fast for someone's who's meant to be dying (okay I'm clutching at straws here lol).
- Chris: ...umm...I've got nothing; I'd prefer it if he could sing the top note of 'free' but that's not a deal breaker. [He also appears to have decided that shirt buttons are for the weak...which I'm definitely not complaining about!]

(The other day I walked past Chris in Soho (judging by the time of day he probably just finished a show), and I realised his intensity as Enjolras probably isn't an act, because he looked every bit as intense just walking down the street in normal clothes.)

Postby 23623 » Sat May 20, 2017 10:38 am

Olivia_y wrote:
23623 wrote:I hate hate HATE the "bottle penis" thing.

Lol, then you'll probably hate Adam Linstead, his bottle penis is practically a propellor. :lol:

Now I can never look at propellers without thinking about...something else. :lol:

Ok now I remember I still haven't posted the second half of that audio review. It's been sitting in my phone for so long that I sort of forget what I wanted to say when editing the notes...but anyway, here it is! :oops:

OMO
Hehe, I was curious what's the deal with Hollie since everyone's complaining about her OMO. I agree that she wasn't really impressive. Her OMO was...mediocre at best. She sounded like she was bored all the time. :? I felt like her Éponine lacked distinctive personality. She wasn't bad obviously but she wasn't among my favorites either. Can't say I wasn't biased against her though - my favorite English-speaking Éponine is Carrie so I'm always looking for something akin to her portrayal.

ALFOR
My inner M/E fangirl was looking forward to the scene but ended up a little (scratch that) thoroughly disappointed. First, I was trying really hard to feel for Éponine but with the uptempo I really couldn't. Second, the emotionless Marius was totally not helping. Hollie was doing ok but this Marius...? His best friend was dying in his arms but he sounded so cold, so not comforting! :cry: Even Chris' "she is the first to fall..." conveyed more feelings than he did with the entire song. I did read about some Mariuses who aren't overly devastated by Éponine's death, though. So maybe it's just because I'm...shipping M/E a bit too hard?

BHH
*sigh* Why can't ANY of my favorite Valjeans sing BHH well? :?:
In fact I had been thinking about that for a long time. The explanation I came up with is that this song was written specially for Colm and maybe for some actors it's really not their style, lol.
The first lines went well enough. I was actually inclined to believe that Simon Gleeson had improved since Oz Mis. But when he got to "he's like the son I might have known" he suddenly sang TWICE LOUDER and I visibly flinched (I was on a very crowded train when I did that, which was kind of embarrassing). He kept switching between really low, gentle voice and really loud, angry voice like that throughout the song, and the transition (if there was any at all) didn't sound natural. I felt like he wasn't praying to God; he was effectively commanding God. :shock:

Final confrontation
One thing I noticed is that Simon Gleeson was calmer than most of Valjeans in this scene. He actually sang his lines, instead of talk-singing/shouting which many Valjeans go with. On the other hand, Hayden was his usual angry self. And the scene turned out rather adorable: Valjean being the Voice Of Reason and Javert totally losing his mind. :lol: I liked it more than having both guys growling and fighting through the scene.

Other random thoughts:
Two lines that made me lol: "let's give them a SCREWING they'll never forget" and "driiiiiiink with me" (from Grantaire). Well, I just never fail to find random funny things in this not funny show.

I didn't realize at all how little stage time Cosette had until now. She isn't on stage until an hour into the first act. And at one point in the second act I sort of missed Charlotte Kennedy (I don't know why - I didn't even like her), and, realizing that she wouldn't be here until Every Day, suddenly wanted the whole barricade scene to be over as soon as possible.

Couldn't tell how Hayden Tee was in Suicide (skipped it) but he sounded less angry in general, compared to whatever he was doing in Act 1.

Chris is really a good Enjolras. Wish there was a video of him. :D *pokes Olivia*

Good cast in general. Like Act 1 better than Act 2.

One thing about Jeremy: I heard that sometimes he actually cried during Suicide? Did anyone of you see that on stage? Don't know if it's just me but seriously seeing people cry on stage does cruel things to my heart every time. I can't bring myself to hate anyone who has done that, even if their acting and/or singing is crap in general. :oops:
Revolution, but civilization

CC21106

Postby CC21106 » Sat May 20, 2017 2:43 pm

23623 wrote:Sorry for the slightly off-topic rant...but some musical-Rs really annoy me. I hate hate HATE the "bottle penis" thing. :evil:
It's pretty crude. I wouldn't want my mother to see it.
Don't mess with Texas! We mess up enough by ourselves.
I have actually made bullets like they're doing in my avatar. Then loaded the gun with a ramrod, and shot it. But I'm not feeling real good about guns right now.

Olivia_y

Postby Olivia_y » Sat May 20, 2017 9:42 pm

23623 wrote:I was curious what's the deal with Hollie since everyone's complaining about her OMO. I agree that she wasn't really impressive. Her OMO was...mediocre at best. She sounded like she was bored all the time. :?

I thought she sounded angry and rushed, but I don't know how much of that is just the orchestration. I think my favourite rendition is still Frances Rufelle on the OLC, or for the ones I've seen live it'd be Kerrie-Anne Greenland.

23623 wrote:One thing I noticed is that Simon Gleeson was calmer than most of Valjeans in this scene.

Lol, that's funny 'cos he does that thing of pushing Javert to the ground, which is...not calm at all :lol:

23623 wrote:One thing about Jeremy: I heard that sometimes he actually cried during Suicide?

Can't say I've noticed actual tears, but he does sound shattered throughout the whole thing, but also sort of veers between distress/anger (on some nights he shouts a lot of the lines, which is...unsettling). I love it when he plays up the distress and tones down the anger, and wouldn't be surprised if he does cry on occasion.
Last edited by Olivia_y on Sun May 21, 2017 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Les Misérables”