Help me with cast information?

Any discussion related to any production or staging of Boublil and Schönberg's Les Misérables.

Help me with cast information?

Postby 23623 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:41 pm

If this thread violates any forum rules, apologize in advance and please feel free to remove it! Feeling a bit paranoid about bootlegs discussion.

So, I've finally decided to make a list of all the official and unofficial LM recordings I've watched. When I just got into the fandom, I never expected that I would go in depth about cast comparison, so I never really thought of keeping a record of cast information. Now I've got myself in trouble. :oops: I'd like to know the full cast of the following productions (see list below). I've figured something out myself and hope the clues are clear enough.

- A US video, year 2000. Sorry that's all I know. :oops:
- A Berlin cast audio, year 2003, I'm sure Valjean is Olegg and Javert is Kroger. I've NEVER listened to it actually, because, Kroger as Javert, ugh...(might do it someday for the Valjean though)
- A Berlin cast video, date 2004.12.19. I know the cast list is literally included at the end of the video, but the script is really hard to read. Murray was Valjean and Müller was Javert. I've probably watched it more than 10 times but still didn't know anything about the rest of the cast. NEED to remedy this considering how much I love every single one of them!!
- The two Baden Mis videos, 2007 and 2011. In both videos Valjean was the guy who played Percy in Baden Pimpernel, Javert was Murray and Enjolras was Aris Sas. <3 In the 2007 video Marius was Armand in Pimpernel.
- A London video, unknown year. Marius was Rob and Enjolras was Anton. The actress playing Fantine was Korean.
- A US video, unknown year. En-Drew-ras' classic "Lamarque is dead". :lol:
- A US video, unknown year. Lea was Fatine and Drew was Javert. He did the "to go OOOOOOOOOOOOON" thing in Suicide.
- A US video and a Toronto video, unknown year. Ramin played Valjean in both.

There are also a few videos/audios without any information about date or cast. But that would probably be too difficult even for you experts, so I decide to leave them as a Mistery. :mrgreen: Thank you in advance for your help!
Revolution, but civilization

deHavilland

Re: Help me with cast information?

Postby deHavilland » Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:40 am

Hm, let me see what I can do with this...

23623 wrote:- A US video, year 2000. Sorry that's all I know. :oops:

Probably: 2000/07/02 - 3NT, Los Angeles: Ivan Rutherford (JVJ), Stephen Bishop (Javert), Joan Almedilla (Fantine), Tim Howar (Marius), Regan Thiel (Cosette), Sutton Foster (Éponine), Kevin Earley (Enjolras), JP Dougherty (Thenardier), Aymee Garcia (Mme Thenardier), Stephanie Mieko Cohen (Young Cosette), Christopher Carlson (Gavroche), Trent Blanton (Grantaire), Ben Davis (Feuilly)
This is a really good quality video, if it's the one that you watched: one of my favorites!

23623 wrote:- A Berlin cast audio, year 2003, I'm sure Valjean is Olegg and Javert is Kroger. I've NEVER listened to it actually, because, Kroger as Javert, ugh...(might do it someday for the Valjean though)

The cast probably looks like this: Olegg Vynnyk (JVJ), Uwe Kröger (Javert), Christin Elverum (Fantine), Ulrich Wiggers (Thénardier), Betty Vermeulen (Mme Thénardier), Lucius Wolter (Marius), Valerie Link (Cosette), Vera Bolten (Éponine), Martin Pasching (Enjolras)
There are a couple different 2003 Berlin audios, one of them being a soundboard.

23623 wrote:- A Berlin cast video, date 2004.12.19. I know the cast list is literally included at the end of the video, but the script is really hard to read. Murray was Valjean and Müller was Javert. I've probably watched it more than 10 times but still didn't know anything about the rest of the cast. NEED to remedy this considering how much I love every single one of them!!

That's this cast: Chris Murray (JVJ), Christian Muller (Javert), Henriette Grawwert (Fantine), Cusch Jung (Thenardier), Heike Schmitz (Mme Thenardier), Jana Stelley (Éponine), Martin Pasching (Enjolras), Lucius Wolter (Marius), Mirjam Zipf (Cosette)

23623 wrote:- The two Baden Mis videos, 2007 and 2011. In both videos Valjean was the guy who played Percy in Baden Pimpernel, Javert was Murray and Enjolras was Aris Sas. <3 In the 2007 video Marius was Armand in Pimpernel.

The 2011 cast is: Darius Merstein-MacLeod (JVJ), Chris Murray (Javert), Patricia Nessy (Fantine), Franziska Stanner (Mme. Thénardier), Gernot Kranner (M. Thénardier), Aris Sas (Enjolras), Zoltan Tombor (Marius), Nina Weiß (Éponine), Elisabeth Schwarz (Cosette), Caroline Athanasiadis (Gavroche), Maria Weber (Young Cosette), Christoph Goetten (Bishop)

And the 2007 cast is: Darius Merstein-MacLeod (JVJ), Chris Murray (Javert), Patricia Nessy (Fantine), Franziska Stanner (Mme. Thénardier), Helmut Wallner (M. Thénardier), Aris Sas (Enjolras), Zoltan Tombor (Marius), Johanna Arouas (Éponine), Katrin Fuchs (Cosette), Max Volt (Bishop)

23623 wrote:- A London video, unknown year. Marius was Rob and Enjolras was Anton. The actress playing Fantine was Korean.

There are a couple of London videos floating around with Rob Houchen, Anton Zetterholm and Na-Young Jeon from 2013. The main cast would have been Dan Koek (JVJ), Tam Mutu (Javert), Na-Young Jeong (Fantine), Carrie Hope Fletcher (Éponine), Samantha Dorsey (Cosette), Anton Zetterholm (Enjolras) but there are also a couple videos with this cast but with James Gant understudying Javert.

23623 wrote:- A US video, unknown year. En-Drew-ras' classic "Lamarque is dead". :lol:

Broadway, 2006: Alexander Gemignani (JVJ), Norm Lewis (Javert), Daphne Rubin-Vega (Fantine), Celia Keenan-Bolger (Éponine), Adam Jacobs (Marius), Aaron Lazar (Enjolras), Ali Ewoldt (Cosette), Gary Beach (Thenardier), Jenny Galloway (Mme Thenardier), Drew Sarich (Grantaire)

23623 wrote:- A US video, unknown year. Lea was Fatine and Drew was Javert. He did the "to go OOOOOOOOOOOOON" thing in Suicide.

Broadway, 2007: Alexander Gemignani (JVJ), Drew Sarich (u/s Javert), Lea Salonga (Fantine), Adam Jacobs (Marius), Mandy Bruno (Éponine), Ali Ewoldt (Cosette), Max von Essen (Enjolras), Gary Beach (Thenardier), Ann Harada (Madame Thenardier), Stephen Trafton (u/s Grantaire).

23623 wrote:- A US video and a Toronto video, unknown year. Ramin played Valjean in both.

The Toronto video would have been 2013 or early 2014, there are a couple different ones. Main cast: Ramin Karimloo (JVJ), Earl Carpnter (Javert or possibly Andrew Love, u/s Javert), Genevieve Leclerc (Fantine), Cliff Saunders (Thenardier), Lisa Horner (Mme Thenardier), Perry Sherman (Marius), Samantha Hill (Cosette), Melissa O'Neil (Éponine), Mark Uhre (Enjolras)

The US video would have been Broadway, 2014, again a couple versions but main cast: Ramin Karimloo (JVJ), Will Swenson (Javert), Caissie Levy (Fantine), Nikki M. James (Éponine), Andy Mientus (Marius), Samantha Hill (Cosette), Cliff Saunders (Thenardier), Keala Settle (Mme Thenardier), Kyle Scatliffe (Enjolras), John Rapson (Grantaire).

23623 wrote:There are also a few videos/audios without any information about date or cast. But that would probably be too difficult even for you experts, so I decide to leave them as a Mistery. :mrgreen: Thank you in advance for your help!

If it's helpful, you can totally browse through my totally not illicit list of bootlegs for more cast details/screencaps of some videos to help find ones you've watched.
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Postby 23623 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:25 am

OMG Havvy...you're literally the best person in the world. Just spent like an hour checking ODM screenshots to clear up the videos. I guess I have to give up on some audios though. Don't even know where to start, lol.

Still have one Mistery (if you don't mind me asking again...) There's a video from 2011 that I couldn't find any match in your list. Valjean looked like JOJ and Cosette Katie Hall.

deHavilland wrote:
23623 wrote:- A US video, year 2000. Sorry that's all I know. :oops:

Probably: 2000/07/02 - 3NT, Los Angeles: Ivan Rutherford (JVJ), Stephen Bishop (Javert), Joan Almedilla (Fantine), Tim Howar (Marius), Regan Thiel (Cosette), Sutton Foster (Éponine), Kevin Earley (Enjolras), JP Dougherty (Thenardier), Aymee Garcia (Mme Thenardier), Stephanie Mieko Cohen (Young Cosette), Christopher Carlson (Gavroche), Trent Blanton (Grantaire), Ben Davis (Feuilly)
This is a really good quality video, if it's the one that you watched: one of my favorites!

I honestly didn't know how you got it just by looking at the year. Yes that was the one. It's my favorite US cast. MUCH BETTER than other American Mis videos I've watched. :D But I like the 1999 London one even better so haven't actually revisited it quite often.

The cast probably looks like this: Olegg Vynnyk (JVJ), Uwe Kröger (Javert), Christin Elverum (Fantine), Ulrich Wiggers (Thénardier), Betty Vermeulen (Mme Thénardier), Lucius Wolter (Marius), Valerie Link (Cosette), Vera Bolten (Éponine), Martin Pasching (Enjolras)
There are a couple different 2003 Berlin audios, one of them being a soundboard.

Stupid English question: what is a soundboard? :oops:
Ooooh...now it's getting complicated. I like Olegg and the Marius is SO ADORABLE, but OMG Fantine and Javert?? :evil: I thought Kroger as Javert was terrible enough, and then OMG I got Christin Elverum as Fantine?! If I skip all Javert and Fantine songs then there won't be much Valjean left either. Still debating whether I should listen to it...

The 2011 cast is: Darius Merstein-MacLeod (JVJ), Chris Murray (Javert), Patricia Nessy (Fantine), Franziska Stanner (Mme. Thénardier), Gernot Kranner (M. Thénardier), Aris Sas (Enjolras), Zoltan Tombor (Marius), Nina Weiß (Éponine), Elisabeth Schwarz (Cosette), Caroline Athanasiadis (Gavroche), Maria Weber (Young Cosette), Christoph Goetten (Bishop)

And the 2007 cast is: Darius Merstein-MacLeod (JVJ), Chris Murray (Javert), Patricia Nessy (Fantine), Franziska Stanner (Mme. Thénardier), Helmut Wallner (M. Thénardier), Aris Sas (Enjolras), Zoltan Tombor (Marius), Johanna Arouas (Éponine), Katrin Fuchs (Cosette), Max Volt (Bishop)

WHAT?! Marius was the same guy?! :shock:

23623 wrote:- A US video, unknown year. En-Drew-ras' classic "Lamarque is dead". :lol:

Broadway, 2006: Alexander Gemignani (JVJ), Norm Lewis (Javert), Daphne Rubin-Vega (Fantine), Celia Keenan-Bolger (Éponine), Adam Jacobs (Marius), Aaron Lazar (Enjolras), Ali Ewoldt (Cosette), Gary Beach (Thenardier), Jenny Galloway (Mme Thenardier), Drew Sarich (Grantaire)

It's actually another one. If Drew is Enjolras he can't be Grantaire at the same time, right? :mrgreen: But didn't take me long to find it. Thank you SO MUCH for the link Havvy. It's very useful. :D

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:44 pm

For the JOJ and Katie one I'm assuming it's 25th anniversary version? If so June 10th in Paris.
Cast is John Owen Jones, Earl Carpenter, Madalena Alberto, Ashley Artus, Lynne Wilmot, Katie Hall, Rosalind James, Luke Tempner, Jon Robyns

Feb 17th 2007 is Drewjolras I think.
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

Postby 23623 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:38 pm

Thanks, Acaila! I'm not sure if it's really that one though. I thought JOJ was doing Phantom in 2011? That was why I said Valjean “looked like” JOJ; it could be another guy who looked really like him... And Javert sounded too good to be Earl Carpenter, lol. I never liked his voice. :( It could be that whatever audios I had listened to didn't do him justice though.

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:41 pm

Merp blerp derp, I probably just copy and pasted the wrong cast info. If Drew was understudying Enjolras, then Stephen Trafton was Grantaire. I don't think that's actually listed on my site.

If Katie Hall is the Cosette, then it's definitely the UK tour as Acaila mentioned. That leaves your options to Jodge as Valjean (or Chris Jacobsen understudying) and Carpy as Javert. It times out with Phantom because those videos are actually from 2010, not 2011. There's a well-circulated 2011 West End video but it's not at all those cast members. I don't really think Jonathan Williams or AJ Callaghan are that easily confused with John Owen-Jones and Katie Hall, but you never know.

And it would have been Norm Lewis as Javert and I'd take Carpy over Norm every day of the week that ends in a y.
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Postby 23623 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:07 pm

Wait, so you mean that video was from 2010? :shock:

O...kay...then. Now, I think I need some time to process the fact that Earl Carpenter has turned from one of my least favorite Javerts to one of my favorites. :shock:
Last edited by 23623 on Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:10 pm

Well, I don't know for sure because all I have to go off of is it's from 2011 and has someone who looks like JOJ and someone who looks like Katie Hall. :P If I assume there's the possibility for the year to be wrong, then I would think it's from 2010 given that there are videos from 2010 with those actors. It's not uncommon, I find myself correcting the dates (and sometimes cast info) on bootlegs all the time.

Postby 23623 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:16 pm

Yeah that was what I did the other day, but didn't find any match in your list. I'll check your 2010 videos then. Thank you again, Havvy!

And, Earl Carpenter, OMG...How can he sound so differently in different bootlegs...?

Confirmed: it's the one Acaila mentioned! The wrong year really confused me at first.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:37 pm

It's probably even weirder because I think Carpy is better in London than on tour!

The Chris Jacobsen video is easy to identify if you're watching the whole thing because of the announcement at the start and the person filming giving an annoyed sigh over not getting JOJ! Didn't know what awesome they were in store for! :D
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

Postby 23623 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:08 am

Does anyone know what production it is? Haven't come across any recording with this version of lyrics.
http://www.geocities.ws/agategs/soundtr ... is-de.html

"Look down" with only 2 lines of chorus before Javert's entrance? :shock: And everything I've listened so far starts with "Schaut her" instead of "Zu-gleich"
In Cafe, I don't speak German but what I've heard is definitely not "Wir sind bereit uns alle zu sammeln/ Mit Hoffnung und Mut doch noch ist's nicht so weit / Marius, na endlich / Was fehlt dir, Freund? / Du siehst so mitgenommen aus". Also Marius' line "Sie ist ein Geist, ein guter Geist" becomes "Ein Engel kam, ein guter Geist" here.
If I remember correctly DYHTPS starts with "Hört ihr" but here it's "Hörst du"
In ODM, Éponine's line "Morgen noch ein Tag allein" is "Wieder einen Tag allein" here

There must be more differences but that's all I can recall now. :oops: Also please correct me if I've misheard anything. Thank you!

Prisoner 24653

Postby Prisoner 24653 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:02 am

That site has the lyrics from the Vienna production/cast album, which predates the one in Duisburg and (as you've seen) has some pretty interesting differences in lyrics. I don't know enough German to have much idea about what the differences are... but it's certainly interesting to listen to. :)

Postby 23623 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:20 am

Aww that's the Vienna production with a certain 12-year-old cutie as Gavroche? :P It's been on my wish list for I don't even know how long. Thank you for the information, Prisoner 24653!

Postby 23623 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:56 am

Acaila wrote:Do upload it - I haven't had a good game of "who's that performer" in a while

Alright then. Guessing game for you experts. Enjoy yourselves. :D Each has a solo of JVJ, Javert, Fantine, Éponine, an AHFOL for Marius and Cosette, and an ODM.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5O96 ... 0lDOXZtTDQ
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5O96 ... HRWRHdXTDg

The second one is the boot with The Angry Javert which I mentioned in Cafe thread yesterday. I decided to upload the first one too because I remember loving the JVJ but don't know who he is. Might as well exploit your expertise a little bit.

Thank you!

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:32 am

After joint-deliberation on mine and Acaila's part we can confirm that Boot #1 is:

Ramin Karimloo (JVJ), Hadley Fraser (Javert), Caroline Sheen (Fantine), Alexia Khadime (Éponine), Lisa Anne Wood (Cosette), Fra Fee (u/s Marius), Scott Garnham (u/s Enjolras), Cameron Blakely (Thenardier), Katy Secombe (Mme Thenardier).

It sounds to me a lot like 2012/02/03, but my copy is untracked and a little fuzzier than yours. I think whoever tracked it may have put a background filter on it to try and cut down a little bit on the fuzzy and mystery #1 is solved!

Return to “Les Misérables”