Performers recommendation

Any discussion related to any production or staging of Boublil and Schönberg's Les Misérables.

Performers recommendation

Postby 23623 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:24 am

Inspired by CC's question here

CC21106 wrote:Who's the best Valjean, Marius, Javert, and Enjolras ever? Where can I see them online? Is there any consensus or is it wildly diverse opinion?

No, I don't much care about Fantine, Éponine, or Cosette. Not because they're female. Just don't like their songs. They're kind of washed out sounding to me. Maybe if I gave them more of a listen...

In answer to this question, I (pretty much a newbie myself, you've been warned) think Quast being the best Javert is the least disputed one in this fandom. As for Valjean I remember JOJ was voted the best in a certain fan survey. I really don't know about the others though, sorry! But the point is, we should know clearly what we are looking for before actually starting the search. What everyone else likes may not appeal to you and vise versa. Everyone has their own preference, so it's natural that the best-for-each-role question will forever be heated argument. At early stage we may not be quite clear about, e.g. what our ideal Valjean is like. This will require some trial-and-error actually. Maybe after seeing several random videos you'll suddenly realize “ah, this is the style of acting I'm looking for!” And as we see more our preference may change too. So as a newbie myself I think the best way to get started is to forget about fan-favorites and just try different stuff!

Performers recommendation from experts is definitely helpful though. So this is a very stupid idea I've had for a long time actually. Every time I see an excellent performer for a certain role I really feel like “I did not live until today”. Yes, I still remember that feeling when I discovered Quast's Javert, Warlow's Enjolras, that 97 concert Cosette (sorry still fail to remember her name) and Rauch's Valjean. But due to my limited knowledge of performers that doesn't happen often. And I guess that's what troubles us newbies most. So the idea is, you can describe your take on the characters as detailed as possible, as if you were a director recruiting cast members. Then probably those who happen to have seen someone that matches your expectation can provide some recommendations for you. This will probably make things easier for us!

I'll try to provide mine when I get my computer back! :D
Revolution, but civilization

CC21106

Re: Performers recommendation

Postby CC21106 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:02 am

23623 wrote:... Warlow's Enjolras, ...

I just found an anthology of the first bit of DYHTPS from about 6 different performers, and Warlow really stood out. So then I found this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bv4jXzn5fys :D Cooool. Very manly voice, yet doesn't sound too old for the part. Enjolras shouldn't sound like he's 35 and this one doesn't.
Don't mess with Texas! We mess up enough by ourselves.
I have actually made bullets like they're doing in my avatar. Then loaded the gun with a ramrod, and shot it. But I'm not feeling real good about guns right now.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:28 pm

If you like comparison videos you should see the one Havvy made of all the Broadway Enjolrati - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ai1J-a2_PR8
If only there was a London one, hint hint Havvy ;) (yes, I know we're a couple of boots short :()
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:42 am

That sounds an awful lot like work. Out of 29, we're only missing four West Endjolrati: David Greer and David Morris (for whom there does not seem to be any bootleg) and Glyn Kerslake and Mark O'Malley (for whom they do allegedly exist, two for Kerslake and one for O'Malley, but may have been lost to the sands of time.)
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:43 am

25 is surely not that many to deal with :D
I think I now live in the same county as Greer, could do a little stalking and get him to sing into my phone :D
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Postby 23623 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:01 am

CC21106 wrote: Enjolras shouldn't sound like he's 35 and this one doesn't.

Because he was indeed younger than 35 when he played Enjy! :mrgreen:

Honestly, I don't care much about Enjolras (and the barricade part in general) in the musical. My standard of good Enjy is quite simple because I won't have strong opinions on him unless the actor is notably amazing or alarmingly horrible:

- Have a good voice, and don't crack (unless you want to make youself memorable via that blooper video 8) ) especially at "they will come when we call", "until the Earth is free" etc.
- Don't act like a maniac. Keep calm and build your barricade. Yes, I'm looking at you, Drewjolras.
- Be physically convincing. Dear Anton, you're actually one of my favorite actors in German musicals, but whoever that thought of casting you as Enjolras really deserves a vampire bite from my avatar. My ideal stage-Enjy should look like Warlow or that TAC guy.
Btw who's playing Enjy in that video where Marius sings "my world if HE's not there"? He's also a good one. And the R in that video is pretty cool too.

Ah Havvy's Introduction to Enjolrases tutorial. :D Tbh I didn't remember anyone from it except Jason Forbach. I really like his voice.

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:40 am

23623 wrote:Btw who's playing Enjy in that video where Marius sings "my world if HE's not there"? He's also a good one. And the R in that video is pretty cool too.

David Thaxton, a perennial favorite. Jon Robyns is the Marius, I think he does say "she" but he turns it into two syllables somehow and goes up on the second, so it seems to sound like a "he." Not a perennial favorite. And Keith Anthony Higham is the Grantaire.
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Olivia_y

Postby Olivia_y » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:33 pm

23623 wrote:- Be physically convincing. Dear Anton, you're actually one of my favorite actors in German musicals, but whoever that thought of casting you as Enjolras really deserves a vampire bite from my avatar. My ideal stage-Enjy should look like Warlow or that TAC guy.

Lol! I'm one of the few people here (going by what I've read) who loves "that TAC guy", but while I thought he was beautiful in the TAC I didn't think that was the right look for a stage Enjolras (mainly because he was 40 and not blond, although I do like how tall he was). And watching old videos of him or Warlow back when they were in the show I am always thrown by the godawful wig they had to endure (which made no sense given as how Warlow was blond and that would've been before he lost his hair).

Postby 23623 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:38 am

Lol it's fine Olivia, I like him too, on OBC only though.

I hadn't read the novel at the time I watched TAC, so I had no idea what everyone's supposed to look like in the book. Still I kind of took it as the correct version of Les Mis. Plus he does look very convincing as a leader. I was actually a bit surprised to find that Enjy is blond and is 22 in the book because that means he's everything that TAC guy is not. :lol: But I still prefer a more mature stage Enjolras. It's just more convincing for me. And since all younger characters are more or less aged up in the show it's ok to cast older actors as Enjolras, as long as everyone's age is still in proportion.

And WUT?! That was a wig in TAC too? :shock: Look, it was not that bad actually. At least it fooled me. Giving a BLACK wig to Warlow is really really STUPID though. By “my ideal Enjolras should look like Warlow” I mean Warlow himself, minus that stupid wig. :mrgreen:
Last edited by 23623 on Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:34 am

23623 wrote:Enjy is blond and is 22 in the book

In 1828. At the time of the barricade, he'd arguably be 26.
This knowledge is the only thing that keeps me living, knowing that I am not yet as old as Enjolras was when he died even if I only have seven months left to enjoy this feeling. Thank god for Bahorel.

Postby 23623 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:56 am

Hahaha Havvy lol!!! :lol: My best friend in university is one year older than me but we're both juniors. I always tease her “look, you'll be older than Enjolras by the time you graduate but I won't!”

And I just got mistaken as 14 yesterday, for the second time after my 20th birthday. Which means, I've broken Enjolras' record of looking 5 years younger than his actual age TWICE. Hooray!

Olivia_y

Postby Olivia_y » Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:13 pm

23623 wrote: And WUT?! That was a wig in TAC too? :shock:

Nope, just on Broadway, pretty sure it was his own hair in the TAC (and much better for it!).
Given the way the world's been going in 2016, there may be a revolution in seven months' time (not that I'd recommend you go throw yourself on a barricade to avoid 26).

CC21106

Postby CC21106 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:44 am

William Travis, the commander of the Alamo, was 26 years old. This was 1836. I bet he'd heard of the barricades.

Everybody know what the Alamo was? How famous is it outside Texas?
Don't mess with Texas! We mess up enough by ourselves.
I have actually made bullets like they're doing in my avatar. Then loaded the gun with a ramrod, and shot it. But I'm not feeling real good about guns right now.

Prisoner 24653

Postby Prisoner 24653 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:14 pm

Aye, the Alamo is pretty well-known in the States (at least to the point where most folks will know what you mean when you make reference to it). How many of them actually know *why* it was significant, though, is less clear. Not sure if it's known at all outside the US, as well.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:20 am

I've been there actually :)
First knew of it through this song, because my mum is a massive Donovan fan - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuu8DcKGuGU
My second trip to Texas when I was about 14/15, we got so bored of Corpus Christi, we drove up to San Antonio for a couple of days and visited. Was an interesting trip and somewhere I'd definitely recommend. Found the range of people who fought there very interesting - it seemed quite an iconically American thing, but obviously it wasn't really "America" as such then, and a lot were from Scotland, Ireland, etc. so it was cool to find that out.
For an extra focus group, I asked my boyfriend and he was able to give a reasonable summation too.
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Return to “Les Misérables”