The influence of original cast and one's first experience on preferences

Any discussion related to any production or staging of Boublil and Schönberg's Les Misérables.

The influence of original cast and one's first experience on preferences

Postby 23623 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:10 pm

Seems that I suddenly become the psychologist of the forum... Sorry if this has already been discussed before or sounds quite silly but actually this topic has something to do with a nerdy project I'm working on, so I finally decide to post so that I may get inspiration from your opinions! :D

Just now I was discussing our favorite Valjeans with my friend and she was like "Oh of course Colm is the best Valjean, no contest!" Actually it wan't the first time I've got such response...which brings up this question. It's true that we all have different subjective preferences, and I don't think that people like Colm only because he was the original Valjean or the first Valjean they've listened to, but I do wonder to what extent our "preferences" may be influenced by some salient information or our own first encounters... For example, if nobody knew the fact that "Colm originated the role of Valjean" (which is impossible, but it's just a hypothetical situation), would there be as many fans of him as now? If Colm wasn't the first Valjean one has ever listened to, would the probability that the audience will like him be lower? And which one of the two effects would have a greater influence on audience's preferences?

I think one explanation is that both the original cast and the first encounter create a mental standard of "what the show should have been", and the audience may use this standard to evaluate all subsequent productions of the same show.This would imply that the audience is likely to base his preference on the arbitrary standard. Therefore it is possible that if the arbitrary standard were changed, his preference would change accordingly. But the implication sounds a bit counterintuitive...do we really have "consistent subjective preferences" then? :?

*EDIT* For the same reason, I think our preference may also be influenced by popular opinion, which is also a (somehow more “valid”) standard of “should-have-been”. For example, if Internet didn't exist so one couldn't know that Colm is generally accepted as the best Valjean, would the probability that he likes him be lower?
Sorry Colm I'm a terrible nerd. :mrgreen:

So what do you think? :D
Revolution, but civilization

Auf die Barrikaden

Re: The influence of original cast and one's first experience on preferences

Postby Auf die Barrikaden » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:43 pm

Most interesting question. As an old-timer (well well I witnessed Le Café so I count as that) I add these points:

1) First exposure: as the according thread on this board shows, most were introduced to Les Mis via the TAC/QUAC. Since 95 I estimate that the TAC has played a major influence in first hand experiences with Les Mis material. Add the whole "Dreamcast" marketing/concept plus a breathtaking rendition of Bring Him Home and you get a fairly good idea that the performances of the original cast(s) left a mark. Though I have to distinct between the English speaking part of the world and the "rest". I know for sure-and the sales underline it-the OBC album defined Les Mis for the American audiences as the OLC did for most of the British influenced parts (Canada, Australia). Throw in the CSR as the only complete recording. Hence we get the whole "Terrence Mann vs Roger Allam", "Michael Maguire vs Anthony Warlow" etc etc discussions of the early 90s to early 2000s-while stage actors without recording get a fairly low share of the "who's best" debate simply because their performance couldn't be compared until the rise and mass sharing of bootlegs. On the other hand, John Owen-Jones was elected most popular Valjean in the mid 2000s by audience vote.

2) First stage experience: as much as I'd love to conserve every second of each of my visits to the show-it's impossible. Brain is a bad keeper of fleeting moments. I'm grateful (and many actors are too) for every video and audio made, rights aside. But the majority don't have the chance to relive that experience again. Then you like the tunes, what do you do? You buy an album.

I'll stop here for now, I'm hitting a wall.
Resident Les Miz prop expert and collector
Non licet omnibus adire Corinthum
Former Roles: Jesus (Jesus Christ Superstar), Dr Orin Scrivello (Little Shop of Horrors), Ensemble Cameo (Fame)

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:29 pm

This is a really good idea for a topic! (would you mind if I moved it to the Stage forum though since it is actually on topic!)

I think it can't be overstated just how much being recorded makes a musical cast more definitive, and that's almost always the original cast. Also, they will have likely had more input into things like characterisation and blocking, whereas later performers may just learn to imitate, so it makes sense they would be seen as definitive. But anything where you've got the ability to listen or watch over and over again is surely going to stick in your head more than the ephemeral nature of a single live performance.

For me, my definitive cast was my second live cast. I had way better seats and knew the show well enough to pay attention to the details that time. I had no bootlegs of them for a long time, but to this day all of my favourite younger principals come from that cast, plus my 2nd fave Javert and Bishop.
Also worth pointing out that two of my other favourites (Quastypops and Ruthie) come from the TAC which I watched (religiously) between my first and second time. I'm sure there's an element of rose coloured glasses in there somewhere, but I'll still fight anyone to justify my faves :P
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

Postby 23623 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:42 am

@Acaila: Of course not! Please don't hesitate to delete/move my posts if there's anything wrong with them. Sorry for being a troublemaker. :oops:

Auf die Barrikaden wrote:On the other hand, John Owen-Jones was elected most popular Valjean in the mid 2000s by audience vote.

... :shock: :shock: :shock:
When I posted last time I was assuming that the title should go to Colm. Obviously I was wrong. Thanks for correcting me!

A brief summary of what we've got at the moment, aka it's really hard to get rid of bias and genuinely love a cast...
- Original cast
- First experience (recording / live)
- Popular opinions
- Availability of recordings
- And the frequency of listening to/watching them

I'll add more after Acaila moves this thread.

@Acaila: You may change the title when you move this. I think the topic can be generalized since we've identified several factors. Maybe we can just discuss whatever that may affect our preference for casts, share our own examples and explanations, etc. Thank you! :D

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:16 pm

Moved :) Don't stress! I actually had to look up how to do it as I don't think I've had the chance to do that before :)

I like that a stage only ( at that point) Valjean got the award though JOJ did do it for aaaaaages so it makes sense
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Postby 23623 » Sun May 01, 2016 3:52 pm

Thank you so much, Acaila! :D

Permit me to share my own experience?
I'm a newbie who is introduced by the 2012 movie (so I hope you old timers won't judge me!) So that's my first exposure to Les Mis. I think its major influences on my preference are Fantine and Éponine. Anne is still my favorite Fantine, acting-wise (don't know if saying this will get me some gunshots), although her singing is relatively weak. Barks is still my mental image for Éponine and all theater Eponines that I love are of the same pretty-and-cute-girl type as her.

For a long time I regard the OFC as the "original" Les Mis cast, but there have been a lot of changes since then, so in this case I tend to consider OFC and all subsequent productions separately, rather than to claim that "original cast is the best". I do make this claim about other musicals though. For example, Tanz der Vampire (stop me before I start digression again lol), The Secret Garden, POTO, etc. It's true that the original cast sets a standard which subsequent productions may try to imitate. On the other hand, I think it may also set a limit to audience's imagination. As long as there's already something established, it's hard to think out of the box or come up with something completely new. The audience may not even be aware that there are so many possibilities!

I really don't know JOJ is that popular, but from what I have seen (a bootleg in the 90s), I'm not very interested in him. I don't know if I'll start liking him now though. I honestly don't think I'm immune to popular opinions. So yeah if you want to get me into some new fandom you may try to lecture me on those popular opinions...chances are you'll succeed!

I actually find the frequency of listening to a recording quite important. I remember clearly that when I first listened to CSR I didn't like Valjean and all the Thenardiers except Éponine. But as I listen to it more (it's still the recording I listen to most because it's complete), I find Valjean actually acceptable and I even start to like him at some points! :shock: Maybe I just get used to him? But if that's the reason why are the Thenardiers still unbearable now...

I agree that recordings are an very important channel to discover wonderful performers. I really wish I could have more of them. And I haven't even seen Les Mis live. I know it will be quite different from recordings but it's hard to imagine how different they are without having such experience. :(

Prisoner 24653

Postby Prisoner 24653 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:52 am

This is quite an interesting topic that I've been meaning to reply to for ages, but never quite got around to it. I think we all are, to some extent, shaped by our earliest experiences of the show, whether it's from a cast recording, seeing the show live, watching one of the televised anniversary concerts, seeing the movie, or even being introduced via an out-of-context rendition of one of the songs (e.g. Susan Boyle's IDAD, a version of DYHTPS used for a political rally, or something else). I think that first experience colors each fan's view of what the show "should" look and sound like. Even if they didn't like everyone in their first cast, it leaves a mark (and I think the same is true of other shows, as well -- Phantom Phans will no doubt have their view of the show colored by who their first Phantom was, whether it was Crawford, Wilkinson, Butler, Karimloo, or someone else).

As far as my own experiences . . . well, let's see. My very first exposure to LM was the original London cast album, since my sister was hooked on it. In the next few years, I got to hear the Complete Symphonic Recording and see the 10th anniversary concert and a live performance (Craig Schulman was Valjean, Lea Salonga was Éponine, and I don't recall anyone else who was in it -- only found out about Craig and Lea years after the fact, since I was rather young at the time and only really started paying attention to who was in what cast when I fully got into theatre fandoms about twelve years ago). And after that, it was quite a while before I got to see a live performance of the show again -- that first time was in 1995, and then I didn't see it onstage again until 2013 when I saw the US anniversary tour and a local community theatre's production. Though in the years in between, I'd gotten to see a few video bootlegs and the 2012 film, so I wasn't entirely deprived.

As for how that affected my view of the show and how it "should" be . . . Honestly, I'm not sure. I do have a bit of a bias in favor of Colm and other Valjeans with "Colm-like" qualities, but I can also appreciate those who are very different (like Geronimo, JOJ, Chris Murray, Drew Sarich, and others). I love Philip Quast as Javert but also have fond memories of Roger Allam and quite a few others, and which one is at the top of my list often depends on who I've listened to recently (though really, that can apply to many of the other characters, as well). Michael Ball and Rebecca Caine remain my favorite Marius and Cosette, but there have also been others I really liked. I tend to prefer Éponines who have a certain vulnerability that comes across in their singing, rather than just power-belters, and I'm sure that the fact that Frances Ruffelle and Kaho Shimada were the first two I heard had a big influence on that (even though there are others I prefer to them now).

And for the other Thénardiers . . . For Monsieur, I tend to vary between Alun Armstrong and Barry James as my "go-tos," and most others tend to fall somewhere on a scale from one to the other (except for those I simply don't like in the role, who I wouldn't compare to either of them). And for Madame, Jenny Galloway in both anniversary concerts was just "it." There have been other great Thenardiesses in the various productions, but my mental image of the character in the context of the musical usually tends to seem like Jenny's portrayal. And for Gavroche, Ross McCall had a huge effect on how I think about the character, though the ones on the OFC, OLC, and OBC also contributed some to that.

As for Fantine and Enjolras . . . Those are two roles where the cast albums and anniversary concerts actually didn't really give me a lot to go on. Patti LuPone, Randy Graff, and Debra Byrne all had their issues for me; and the same was true of David Burt, Michael Maguire, and Anthony Warlow. Perhaps it's that in all those cases, the performers sounded too mature for their characters (and that was even an issue for the OFC); but we could also make that argument for just about everyone ever to play Cosette, Éponine, Marius, and the other Amis, yet they don't seem to bug me quite as much. For Enjolras, it may also be that the precedent Maguire set and so many after him have followed was so different from the character Hugo created. In all, though, the musical versions of Fantine and Enjolras didn't really grab me until I started getting into collecting bootlegs and foreign-language recordings. And I'm rather hard to please when it comes to Enjolras -- I guess I'm wishing for someone with Aaron Tveit's look and David Thaxton's voice and acting, but we may never be able to get that. And for Fantines, I (like many LM fans) adore Ruthie Henshall, but even she might not be my ideal.

Whew, that was a long post. To sum it up . . . I think my earliest experiences with the musical did affect my preferences for the kinds of singers and actors I like in the various roles, but I'm not entirely sure how. Kind of a really verbose non-answer, but hey. :lol:

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:32 pm

It was fun to read anyway :D

(though if you like Tveit's looks and Thaxton's blocking and acting and singing, have you seen Christopher Jacobsen? Because WOW and WOW)
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Olivia_y

Postby Olivia_y » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:16 pm

Prisoner 24653 wrote:I think that first experience colors each fan's view of what the show "should" look and sound like.

Interesting. My first exposure to the musical is through the 2012 movie, I didn't have a frame of reference for how the characters should look but I wasn't attached to the movie portrayal (apart from Aaron Tveit perhaps) when I started looking up other versions on Youtube. I haven't watched the movie for a while but I think I'd actually have a hard time accepting most of the movie 'looks' after having watched the stage musical.

The version that had the most impact on me was the TAC (which was my third cast, after the movie and the 25AC). Sometimes I wonder if the reason it had such a strong effect on me was because the cast included several voices from my childhood (Lea and Judy from Disney, and Philip Quast from his Play School days - I learnt to speak English from that man!) - but if that had been the case it was a subconscious one because I only realised it retrospectively when I looked up their biographies.

Is it weird to say that I don't really have a picture in my head for how the characters should look or sound? I mean I have a set of 'desirable' criteria, but I don't think I ever picture anyone in particular, it's more like I'd watch the actor and think 'yes that fits' or 'nope that's wrong' - and various stages in between. The closest I've come to thinking of a version as the 'definitive' look is Anthony Perkins as Javert in the 1978 movie, but that' has nothing to do with the musical.

As for the 'popular opinion' thing...maybe I'm just contrary, but I don't follow it. The ones that come to mind are Ramin and Carrie, and while they're obviously good at what they do, they're far from my favourites. Then again, I don't have any 'controversial' favourites either (apart from maybe Michael Maguire, who isn't so much controversial as divisive). The ones I'd name as my favourites aren't so much unpopular as just not very well known outside of the theatre world, so if I'm talking to people who hadn't seen them on stage they probably wouldn't have heard of them.

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:25 pm

I gave this a good amount of thought because I couldn't seem to find too much correlation between my first cast (s) and how I picture the characters -- I'll always be fond of big, fierce, hairy Grantaires like Zemon and Blanton, and dark, curly-haired Cosette is in the noggin, too -- but I realize it's because my first cast has nothing to do with how I picture the characters. There's a certain standard I hold voices to that's heavily shaped by the CSR because pre-bootlegs it was the recording I listened to ten thousand times a day.

But I saw the show for the first time at the age I was auditioning for Young Cosette, so: young. And while I look back at Buntrock and Lockyer and Marien fondly, my memories of the performance aren't so well-shaped as to influence too much. I think most of my character-specific headcanons came from the book itself and the fanfiction that went along with it. I saw the show maybe five or six times before I was a teenager, but I wrote and read a hell of a lot of fanfiction in that time period.
Last edited by deHavilland on Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

singleton

Postby singleton » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:27 pm

Prisoner 24653 wrote:This is quite an interesting topic that I've been meaning to reply to for ages, but never quite got around to it. I think we all are, to some extent, shaped by our earliest experiences of the show, whether it's from a cast recording, seeing the show live, watching one of the televised anniversary concerts, seeing the movie, or even being introduced via an out-of-context rendition of one of the songs (e.g. Susan Boyle's IDAD, a version of DYHTPS used for a political rally, or something else). I think that first experience colors each fan's view of what the show "should" look and sound like. Even if they didn't like everyone in their first cast, it leaves a mark (and I think the same is true of other shows, as well -- Phantom Phans will no doubt have their view of the show colored by who their first Phantom was, whether it was Crawford, Wilkinson, Butler, Karimloo, or someone else).

As far as my own experiences . . . well, let's see. My very first exposure to LM was the original London cast album, since my sister was hooked on it. In the next few years, I got to hear the Complete Symphonic Recording and see the 10th anniversary concert and a live performance (Craig Schulman was Valjean, Lea Salonga was Éponine, and I don't recall anyone else who was in it -- only found out about Craig and Lea years after the fact, since I was rather young at the time and only really started paying attention to who was in what cast when I fully got into theatre fandoms about twelve years ago). And after that, it was quite a while before I got to see a live performance of the show again -- that first time was in 1995, and then I didn't see it onstage again until 2013 when I saw the US anniversary tour and a local community theatre's production. Though in the years in between, I'd gotten to see a few video bootlegs and the 2012 film, so I wasn't entirely deprived.

As for how that affected my view of the show and how it "should" be . . . Honestly, I'm not sure. I do have a bit of a bias in favor of Colm and other Valjeans with "Colm-like" qualities, but I can also appreciate those who are very different (like Geronimo, JOJ, Chris Murray, Drew Sarich, and others). I love Philip Quast as Javert but also have fond memories of Roger Allam and quite a few others, and which one is at the top of my list often depends on who I've listened to recently (though really, that can apply to many of the other characters, as well). Michael Ball and Rebecca Caine remain my favorite Marius and Cosette, but there have also been others I really liked. I tend to prefer Éponines who have a certain vulnerability that comes across in their singing, rather than just power-belters, and I'm sure that the fact that Frances Ruffelle and Kaho Shimada were the first two I heard had a big influence on that (even though there are others I prefer to them now).

Ironically, Kaho Shimada's normal mode of singing, outside Éponine, is power belt, or Ella-style jazz cabaret. Her performances as Éponine are extremely atypical of her normal style.

On bias, I was a fan of the Japanese Fantine (in her pop mode) before I liked Les Mis, so unsurprisingly I like her above all others. But it seems she was highly rated back in the day, so my appreciation may have some justification after all.

Postby 23623 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:04 am

Aha glad to see this revived. That school project which started the thread has long been done but I'm still pondering on this question from time to time.

I don't have much nostalgia to share compared to you guys. I was introduced by the 2012 movie. Feel so inadequate talking to you experts who had been watching Les Mis before I was born! :oops: As I said, for me the major influence of the movie was Fantine and Éponine. I haven't found any musical Fantine that I like because for me Anne is Fantine. I'm so impressed by her acting. The rest of the movie cast didn't seem to have any lasting effect on me. (Should I consider myself lucky? Lol.) Soon after the movie I watched TAC. At that time I considered TAC as the standard version of Les Mis (more so than the movie anyway) so I more or less took the characters as "definitive", especially in terms of appearance. But as I watched more stuff, I started focusing more on acting and singing than physical appearance, and now only the Javert and Thenardiers remained as definitive for me. After TAC, there was the 25AC which I only watched once and couldn't remember anything except how terrible Nick Jonas was. CSR was the last thing I listened to before actually reading the book. Its most important contribution was Enjolras -- I finally knew the character's name, lol, and I discovered the awesome Anthony Warlow! I consider Warlow as my favorite Enjolras, though I still don't know exactly what kind of Enjy I'd prefer. Guess I'm ok as long as the actor doesn't act like Drew Sarich, lol.

It surprises me that my early experience had little influence on my preference for Valjean, Cosette and Marius. I didn't really care much about show Cosettes before I read the book. My criteria for good Cosettes are strictly book-based. I'm positive my take on the character has nothing to do with any of the above show Cosettes. I know it sounds ridiculous, but in fact my current headcanon of Marius is largely based on a character in a completely irrelevant musical, and that actor has never played Marius. :oops: When it comes to Valjeans though, I really have no idea what it is that shapes my preference. I remember there was a time when I actually found Valjean a bit boring. He's just a Good Old Guy and nothing more (in the early bootlegs I've watched the actors all played JVJ like that), while there's the Cool Cop Javert, Poor Girl Eppie, Total Dork Marius -- everyone else seems more interesting than him. Then Chris Murray came along and revived my love for Valjean. He'd been my favorite before I watched the Madrid revival, but I don't think my current favorites share any similarity with him. As much as I dislike him, Colm has very convincing looks, which sort of starts my preference for older actors (or seemingly older ones) in the role, but that's pretty much where his influence ends. My first non-concert, English-speaking Valjean was Alexander Gemignani (not sure if I spell it correct). Can't think of any influence he has on me, except that he once made me think Valjean is a boring character...

Olivia_y

Postby Olivia_y » Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:57 pm

So last night the movie (my 'original') was on television and I decided to watch it from the start, which I haven't really done since early 2013 (since I can skip to the barricade boys sections on the DVD lol).

So...in hindsight, I'm actually surprised that there were any existing fans of the musical (pre-movie) who actually liked it! So much of it was changed (which I read about at the time, but didn't mean anything to me since I had nothing to compare it to). I wonder how I would've felt about the casting of the major roles if I'd heard about it back then. I love Hugh Jackman and I know he's won a Tony Award but I can't say I ever liked his singing voice, plus he just looks so different from the Valjeans of the stage. As for Russell Crowe...the thing is he actually has a very nice, authoritative speaking voice, but the singing style is just...out of place; he also looks all wrong - Javert should be younger, taller and thinner. In a weird way if they'd reversed the roles they might actually look more appropriate (in my view), but I shudder to think of Crowe attempting any of Valjean's songs.

Abellati

Postby Abellati » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:23 pm

Hi! Newbie to the whole forum here, so I'm sorry if this is off topic or not deep enough analysis.

It was definitely my second viewing of les mis that had the largest impact on me as I was only really 11 when I saw it for the first time, and in the manner of most preteen girls, only really paid attention to Éponine. (I was a Marius/Éponine shipper. I'm deeply ashamed.) However by the second time I saw it I was halfway through the brick and knew all the characters back to front. Both of these viewings were with the Australian cast, (that's just what happens when you live in Asia) and they've had an impact on me and how I view the characters. Jean Valjean was played by Simon Gleeson both times, who has a great stage presence and is quite a big man. He has an amazing voice, and his amazing performance may impact how I'm not a huge fan of Hugh Jackman's slightly... boring Jean Valjean. Kerrie Anne Greenland as Éponine has definitely led to my love of Ep, as she gives her the tough edge that brick!Éponine has, that Sam just lacked in the movie.

Despite my complaining about the movie, I do love it as it's the only form I can watch again and again. Aaron Tveit will always be Enjolras, and George Blagden will forever be Grantaire to me.

Prisoner 24653

Postby Prisoner 24653 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:53 pm

Welcome to the forum! It's great to see new folks joining. :D

Neat that it was your second viewing that really did it for you since you were older and wiser than you were for your first experience with the musical. I think that's a bit similar to how it was for me -- when I first saw the musical, I was really young and I don't remember all that much from it. By the second time I saw the show, I was quite a bit older and had read the Brick (and also had seen/heard many official and unofficial recordings to develop a sense of what the musical has been over the years).

And similar to your experience, my second time seeing the stage show (and even more so, my third) helped me to move past the 2012 movie. I seem to have a habit of immediately fanboying over musical films that appear to be doing a some things right, blowing its good qualities up into "OMG! BEST MUSICAL MOVIE EVER!!!" for a couple of months, and then it gets calmed down to a more impartial view of the film's positive and negative qualities by the time the DVD/Blu-Ray comes out. That happened with LM, "Sweeney Todd," and a few others, so hey. That may also be the case for me with live performances, but that's harder to gauge since live shows (and the memory of them) are constantly changing, while films tend to remain the same, barring director's cuts and alternate versions.

Return to “Les Misérables”