London cast changes

Any discussion related to any production or staging of Boublil and Schönberg's Les Misérables.
Acaila

Re: London cast changes

Postby Acaila » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:47 pm

I was prejudiced against him for not being blonde, but boy impressed me!
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:39 am

thedeadareright wrote:Chris Cowley may have been one of my favorite parts of seeing Les Misérables finally.

I didn't have high expectations per se when I went into his performance, but I so, so badly wanted him to be really good and I was thrilled to find him a very Hugolian Enjolras in manner if not in looks. Really enjoyed it.
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

thedeadareright

Postby thedeadareright » Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:41 am

Yeah, He may be one of the reasons I've been seeing it as often as I can while I'm in London. Besides the fact that having this much theater nearby is new for me.

CC21106

Postby CC21106 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:15 am

Who's the best Valjean, Marius, Javert, and Enjolras ever? Where can I see them online? Is there any consensus or is it wildly diverse opinion?

No, I don't much care about Fantine, Éponine, or Cosette. Not because they're female. Just don't like their songs. They're kind of washed out sounding to me. Maybe if I gave them more of a listen...
Don't mess with Texas! We mess up enough by ourselves.
I have actually made bullets like they're doing in my avatar. Then loaded the gun with a ramrod, and shot it. But I'm not feeling real good about guns right now.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:56 pm

Going to be wildly diverse, but I'd say there are very few people who don't appreciate Colm Wilkinson, Michael Ball and Philip Quast, so the TAC is good for that. The Complete Symphonic Recording is audio only, but it has Quast, Ball and Anthony Warlow whose interpretation is maybe not to everyone's taste but few would argue he's not the best Enjolras on an official English language recording. But that gets you someone there is something of a consensus about in each role without venturing in to boots.

For Valjeans and Javerts, I made a post of my ten favourites:
http://barelymissedbecominghistoric.tum ... javerts-at
Some of these are rampantly subjective, but it might help as a starting point for you.

For Enjolrati, my faves are Jason McCann, Christopher Jacobsen, David Thaxton, and Daniel Diges. People it would be worth looking up imo would be Jeremy Hayes, Drew Sarich (because he's rather controversial :D), Stephen R Buntrock..... and while we're on her favourites, I've not seen enough of Mark Uhre but Havvy will probably slag me if I don't mention him. Oh, that reminds me that David Bardsley is good on the Chelmsford Concert too.

For Marii, off the top of my head I would recommend Niklas Andersen, Jody Crosier, Jamie Ward, Ian Patrick Gibb, Guido Balzaretti

There are at least partial videos of most of those (Niklas is the only one for those last two parts I don't have any video at all of)
Abaisse Chief/Chef

CC21106

Postby CC21106 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:45 am

Thanks very much! I will be looking these up.
Don't mess with Texas! We mess up enough by ourselves.
I have actually made bullets like they're doing in my avatar. Then loaded the gun with a ramrod, and shot it. But I'm not feeling real good about guns right now.

Postby 23623 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:15 am

Acaila, can I hug you? Just read your top 10 list. Totally agree with you about several actors. Can I use your list for mizzie promotion among my friends? Because I really couldn't have said half as well!

I loooooove Roger Allam. He seriously deserves more attention. I quite like his “softer” version of Javert. But “soft” Javerts are SO HARD to find!

As for Quast...I watched TAC right after being introduced by the movie. Seriously guys, you can never imagine how shocked I was!!

Murray as Javert = MUST SEE. Better skip final battle though. :mrgreen: Actually it was his Valjean that first caught my attention, at a time when I was really tired of Santa Valjeans (in fact I still am). Acaila, your reason for loving Dudu Fisher is exactly mine for loving Murray's Valjean lol! Now I need to look for Israeli Mis videos too.

ValDrew was a total surprise for me as well. I disliked him as Enjolras (I'm so sorry, Acaila) and Krolock in Tanz der Vampire (this was how I knew Sarich actually...) I firmly believed he wasn't suitable for any role in Les Mis except perhaps Marius. But ValDrew is indeed amazing, regardless of how wrong it appears to be.

Rauch is my current favorite Valjean. He's the only one that can perfectly handle the CHANGE in Valjean. He knows how to react differently to different characters. He also balances the “strong” and “soft” sides of Valjean pretty well. No doubt my definitive Valjean. I'm going to loop the Madrid revival video until I get an English one of him. :D

Have some minor disagreement but it's just my personal preference. Don't shoot me!
I have serious problems with Earl Carpenter's voice.
Also Colm's.
JOJ's the best Santa Valjean I've seen but he's still a Santa Valjean...
I'm not sure if I've actually seen McCarthy but I find that almost every US Javert I've seen gets a bit too far on the “stern” track.
Revolution, but civilization

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:11 am

Of course, use as you like, though some of the list is indeed v subjective! And I mentioned Drew as Enjy because most people hate it, but it's a unique interpretation so it's worth seeing variety. I always say I'd rather someone get it wrong in an entertaining fashion where they commit to it than just another Hohumjolras. So I kinda enjoy it for what it is.
Mccarthy was around for long enough you shouldn't have trouble finding stuff of him. The full 2004 London video is good of him iirc plus it has Jo Ampil as Fantine and she's awesome.
Abaisse Chief/Chef

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:24 pm

Acaila wrote:Stephen R Buntrock..... and while we're on her favourites, I've not seen enough of Mark Uhre but Havvy will probably slag me if I don't mention him. Oh, that reminds me that David Bardsley is good on the Chelmsford Concert too.

You don't have to list off my favorites for me, I can do it myself! ;) My top four were all mentioned by Acaila, of course: Warlow, Buntrock and Bardsley all sort of playing the shuffle-game and vying for top spot. Sometimes it's Warlow, sometimes it's Buntrock, but those are the three I will follow to the barricade over anyone else. My reasons for why I love each of them vary and I wouldn't necessarily expect Bardsley to be anyone else's favorite. I love him mostly because his performance reads to me like "Enjolras is out sick, my friends and today Combeferre will be leading the revolution!" and the novelty of that plus his powerful voice are what endear him to me most.

Fourth place goes to Mark Uhre for a number of selfish "I know you in real life" reasons, but also because he's just really good. I don't think there's video of him available on the internet with an easy link yet, but sometime I can livestream my beloved Toronto cast and everyone can see the wonder of Uhre (and Winsby and Zonneville) for themselves.
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:50 am

To be fair, Bunbun is genuinely good, and I forget that Warlow is obviously one of your faves. Like I know you love Warlow, but I forget that Warlowjolras counts in that.
Mark Uhre is just a genuinely good human being though, and I'm so glad I follow him on instagram now.
See also: Forbach, Jason <3
Bardsley sings it well, and takes the high notes, but it is a bit Courfeyrac leading the revolution for me (yes I know he was Combeferre, but he's always been Courfeyrac to me).

I also really want to watch Chelmsford again now, because precious Annalene and Matty with his troll doll hair. McCarthy is Javert on that too isn't he? But yes, totally up for a Toronto livestream.
Abaisse Chief/Chef

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:25 am

But he's not Courfeyrac-ish at aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll.

See: Jerome Pradon with pink cravat

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:46 pm

But he's not remotely Courfish, far too wound up and bloodthirsty!
Abaisse Chief/Chef

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:44 pm

Courfeyrac can be a little bloodthirsty if you put a few drinks in him and wind him up, I'm sure. All caught up in revolutionary zeal. "Hold up, guys, gotta go grab my sword-cane!"

dnaylorau

Postby dnaylorau » Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:38 am

Hi,

I hope you enjoy Hayden Tee as Javert, in London. Most definitely, he was the standout performer in the Australian production, for me. I was not a fan of Simon Gleeson's Valjean. His "Bring Him Home" did not convey to me the fact that this is a prayer. His arm actions and voice intonations were far too aggressive for my liking. In Australia, I thought there were far too many spoken words.

I will be interested in what you people in the UK think, when you see them. It may be that their interpretations will be modified, since London is the original production, rather than the 25th Anniversary production.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:38 pm

Certainly others have spoken about changing their interpretation when they come to London from having been in the 25th anniversary version. Fingers crossed anyway :)
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Return to “Les Misérables”