Pre-recording

Any discussion related to any production or staging of Boublil and Schönberg's Les Misérables.
EnjysVest

Pre-recording

Postby EnjysVest » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:50 am

I was surprised to find how much of POTO is prerecorded. Apparently the entire title song is lip-synced, which I guess makes sense because there are stunt doubles at the beginning and Christine's impossibly high note at the end. Even though the recordings are always of the actor playing the role, it still seems...disappointing? (I was kind of sad to realize that Sierra didn't hit the high e live at Royal Albert Hall :? ). Plus all of the offstage stuff -- Notes, "I'm here," "Brava," etc.

Anyway, I was just wondering how much, if any, of Les Mis is prerecorded. I know Éponine's scream is, but what about the Loudhailer? And is the orchestra ever supplemented by recordings?

Also, what do you think about lip syncing in theatre -- is it cheating? Is it necessary for a scene with lots of special effects like "Phantom of the Opera"?

deHavilland

Re: Pre-recording

Postby deHavilland » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:13 pm

I believe the only thing pre-recorded in Les Mis is Éponine's scream -- although not every production/actress had the scream pre-recorded. In Toronto recently, they took Melissa (principal Éponine) and the understudies out back and recorded individual screams for each of them, but on the West End they're still using Linzi Hateley's recorded scream from the 80's.

The loudhailer is performed via an offstage microphone and isn't pre-recorded. You can always spot the Loudhailer because they're the student that mysteriously disappears just before and reappears right after. (Usually the actor who plays Brujon.)
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Return to “Les Misérables”