Dream Role in Les Mis?

Any discussion related to any production or staging of Boublil and Schönberg's Les Misérables.
CourfeyracNroll

Dream Role in Les Mis?

Postby CourfeyracNroll » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:06 pm

What's your dream role in Les Mis?
What's your dream role for any stage production?
Have you ever been in Les Mis?
If so, what character did you play?

My dream role is Grantaire (though directors would'nt consider me the correct gender, haha)
I was just recently in a production of Les Mis, where I was cast as Joly (I also played a prostitute and a poor woman).
My dream role in general is Quasimodo (couldn't reach the low notes, hah) or Ida in Honk! The Musical.

I'd love to hear yours!

Chantefleurie

Re: Dream Role in Les Mis?

Postby Chantefleurie » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:31 pm

Not a theatre person, never did any stage productions. But If I had a role in Les Mis... If it was identical to the book, I would go for Éponine, but she's quite different in the musical. Mme Thenardier would be fun to play. If I could play a guy, I would pick Gavroche.

From Notre Dame - it's harsh on female roles, so going irregardless of gender - Pierre Gringoire, then Claude Frollo, then Fleur-de-Lys. One of the movie adaptations included Jehan, so if he ever makes his way into theatre he'd be among my top choices as well. But if there was a musical identical to the book... heck, I'd actually pick the same characters, just in a slightly different order and for different reasons! :D

Be as it may, I'm a horrible actor and a horrible singer, so I will probably never play anyone. When thinking about it hypothetically, I feel like some parts in the adaptations just make me cringe so much that I wouldn't be able to go through with it. Also, I feel like I wouldn't have enough in me to play certain parts, even if I physically could. For example, I would love it if Gudule was included in some adaptation of Notre Dame, but I don't think I would be able to play that character myself with the right intensity.
C'est tellement mystérieux, le pays des larmes. ~Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Postby 23623 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:55 am

I've never been on stage. I don't have any talent in performing :cry:

CourfeyracNroll wrote:I was just recently in a production of Les Mis, where I was cast as Joly (I also played a prostitute and a poor woman).

:shock: :shock:
This is interesting. So far the only character I know that can be played by both genders is Gary in Avenue Q. I don't know how theater production works so please bear with my silly questions. Why did they cast you as Joly? Were you supposed to dress and act as male or female then? How many girls were there in the amis?
By the way, I love your username!

So...
What's your dream role in Les Mis?
-Male: Javert
-Female: Fantine and Éponine (can't decide so I list them both)
What's your dream role for any stage production?
-Male: Javert again. Besides him, Jekyll/Hyde.
-Female: Cinderella in Into the Woods. Natalie in N2N.
Revolution, but civilization

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:00 pm

Cross gender casting isn't that unusual in youth productions. I saw a school near me do Les Mis last year and the only two guys in the entire cast were Valjean and Marius. Heck, I've played Banquo, Laertes and Bottom myself in student and youth productions. Usually you play them as the gender they are written as, but sometimes the character's gender is swapped (for example, when I did Hamlet I played Laertes as a guy but Polonius became a female Polonia because the actress wasn't as confident playing a guy).
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

Enjolvert

Postby Enjolvert » Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:06 am

I played Combeferre in mine, along with some other roles here and there when required. As for any role, I'd probably pick Javert if I got to choose.
The law is unjust.

Enjolvert

Postby Enjolvert » Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:07 am

Acaila wrote:Cross gender casting isn't that unusual in youth productions. I saw a school near me do Les Mis last year and the only two guys in the entire cast were Valjean and Marius. Heck, I've played Banquo, Laertes and Bottom myself in student and youth productions. Usually you play them as the gender they are written as, but sometimes the character's gender is swapped (for example, when I did Hamlet I played Laertes as a guy but Polonius became a female Polonia because the actress wasn't as confident playing a guy).

Yeah, I had a cousin who played Gavroche despite being a female. Doing the whole thing with only two guys sounds fairly taxing, but if a production can pull it off then it'd certainly be impressive.
The law is unjust.

Postby 23623 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:14 am

Thank you, Acaila and Enjolvert. Your stories are an eye-opener for me as amateur theater productions are probably not as popular here in my country as in yours.

Les Mis with only Valjean and Marius played by male performers ... how did they manage that? I don't know if the girls playing male roles will have difficulty with some low notes or some physically demanding tasks like carrying Gavroche in ODM. And Acaila, thank you for the Shakespeare reference. It reminds me that I've seen a female Horatio in a professional production and I thought she played that role pretty well.

Sometimes cross gender casting can be unconventionally great. The Takarazuka Revue of Japan is an amazing all-female musical theater troupe. I've watched a video of their Elisabeth and honestly I think the female Tod is even cooler than male Tods.
Revolution, but civilization

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:29 pm

I love Takarazuka! Discovering it made me wish I was born Japanese to be honest :(. I've always been more comfortable singing male roles
Abaisse Chief/Chef

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:12 am

_23623_ wrote:I don't know if the girls playing male roles will have difficulty with some low notes or some physically demanding tasks like carrying Gavroche in ODM.

Well, I don't know about that, but keep in mind that the official productions -- the West End, Broadway, etc. etc. versions -- will pretty much always have the appropriately cast gender for each of the roles. (The exception is usually Gavroche based on understudy/swing availability. And I once saw Noah E. Galvin, one of the Gavroches, play Young Éponine.) Any production where they have to resort to crossing genders is more than likely a small regional or school show that's married to the availability of performers within their region or school. These productions tend not to perform the "official" staging, usually due to budgetary constraints. Meaning that if you're stuck in a show where Grantaire has to be played by a lady, you don't have to have her carry Gavroche during One Day More, because it doesn't matter. You might not even have Grantaire in One Day More, it's all up to the director at that point. Maybe everyone has a flag. Maybe everyone has a flag, a gun and a pair of coconuts, who knows.
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:18 pm

I'ma gonna add "coconuts in One Day More" to my plan to direct the show....
Abaisse Chief/Chef

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:44 pm

I will add it to the notes.
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Return to “Les Misérables”