Happy 30th Anniversary!

Any discussion related to any production or staging of Boublil and Schönberg's Les Misérables.
Gavroche

Happy 30th Anniversary!

Postby Gavroche » Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:14 am

As of 2015, it is the 30th anniversary of Les Misérables! (Unless you count the 1980 Paris Palais des Sports production, than it would be 35 years!)

Just a quick question. Does anyone know if Cammack is doing anything special for the 30th anniversary? Like a concert or something? Any info would be greatly appreciated! Happy New Year! :D
Attachments
image.jpg
Happy New Year!
image.jpg (85.6 KiB) Viewed 1711 times
C'est la faute à Voltaire / Misère est mon trousseau / C'est la faute à Rousseau.
-Gavroche Thénardier

deHavilland

Re: Happy 30th Anniversary!

Postby deHavilland » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:36 am

Hm. It seems rather unlikely to me that CamMack would do another concert for the 30th anniversary: having just sunk a boat load of money into the 25th Anniversary concert and subsequent 25th Anniversary productions. There might be a small ado made about it as with the 20th anniversary -- they brought a bunch of school kids up on stage at the Queens for a special finale -- but I don't think we're going to see a huge stink made again until the 50th.
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

TheRandomPhangirl

Postby TheRandomPhangirl » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:51 pm

Cammack did say a few months ago that due to the 'success' of the 25th production, it looked 'set to supplant' the original when it hits 30 but
a) That's probably complete banana oil he said for the sake of it, and
b) as Acaila said, it'd lose it's title as longest running West End production, which, given it's an anniversary, would be rather counterproductive.

I hope they do something with students again, though.
I'm the one to shout "Down with Polignac!"

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:43 am

Also, I hope I wouldn't be alone in forming a picket line at the Queens if he even thought about that!
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

Auf die Barrikaden

Postby Auf die Barrikaden » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:38 pm

TheRandomPhangirl wrote:Cammack did say a few months ago that due to the 'success' of the 25th production, it looked 'set to supplant' the original when it hits 30 but

That was no direct quote from Mackintosh. Based on the way it was written it was an assumption by the writer of that article/interview. Am too lazy to look for it now though, apologies.
Resident Les Miz prop expert and collector
Non licet omnibus adire Corinthum
Former Roles: Jesus (Jesus Christ Superstar), Dr Orin Scrivello (Little Shop of Horrors), Ensemble Cameo (Fame)

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:01 pm

It's here, with this being the quote in question:

In the long-term, Mackintosh thinks it’s Les Misérables that will outlive us all. “It’s as potent in a class-room as it is on a Broadway stage.” Its revamped 25th anniversary version is being staged in 10 countries and it looks set to supplant the originating London incarnation when the 30th anniversary comes round next year.

Notice that the comment about the new production supplanting the current/original isn't included as a quotation. I agree with Chris that it looks more like assumption on the writer's part -- though I've seen it bandied about elsewhere as well (in equally dubious context.)
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Gavroche

Postby Gavroche » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:03 pm

Also, I hope I wouldn't be alone in forming a picket line at the Queens if he even thought about that!

You wouldn't. :lol:

Mob of protesters outside the Queen's:
Attachments
image.jpg
Mob outside Queen's
image.jpg (205.58 KiB) Viewed 1647 times
C'est la faute à Voltaire / Misère est mon trousseau / C'est la faute à Rousseau.
-Gavroche Thénardier

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:09 pm

Haha, this** wasn't even something that needed to be photoshopped. ;)

**though it's the Broadhurst and not the Queen's.

Gavroche

Postby Gavroche » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:53 pm

What I did is take some of the people from that picture and put them infront of the Queen's. :lol: :lol:
-Gavroche Thénardier

TheRandomPhangirl

Postby TheRandomPhangirl » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:01 pm

Auf die Barrikaden wrote:
TheRandomPhangirl wrote:Cammack did say a few months ago that due to the 'success' of the 25th production, it looked 'set to supplant' the original when it hits 30 but

That was no direct quote from Mackintosh. Based on the way it was written it was an assumption by the writer of that article/interview. Am too lazy to look for it now though, apologies.

Ah, right. Apologies.

Still a rubbishy idea though.
I'm the one to shout "Down with Polignac!"

Auf die Barrikaden

Postby Auf die Barrikaden » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:17 am

As rubbish as it sounds, it might still be a possibility, perhaps more likely than we might think. However I hope for Trevor Nunn to finally go nuts about it and protect his last surviving stage baby.
Resident Les Miz prop expert and collector
Non licet omnibus adire Corinthum
Former Roles: Jesus (Jesus Christ Superstar), Dr Orin Scrivello (Little Shop of Horrors), Ensemble Cameo (Fame)

Return to “Les Misérables”