Rachelle's review of 2014/2015 cast

Any discussion related to any production or staging of Boublil and Schönberg's Les Misérables.
Rachelle

Rachelle's review of 2014/2015 cast

Postby Rachelle » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:44 pm

Les Misérables Review: Queens Theatre 02/07/14 (evening performance)

Cast
Jean Valjean: Peter Lockyer
Javert: David Thaxton
Bishop: Adam Linstead
Foreman: Simon Shorten
Fantine: Celinde Schoenmaker
Factory Girl: Joanna Loxton
Factory Workers: Michael Riseley
Tamsin Dowsett
?Jeremy Batt
Bamatabois: Adam Pearce
Madame: Helen Walsh
Whores: Melanie Bright
Tamsin Dowsett
Jade Davies
Emma Kingston
Jessamy Stoddart
Old Woman: Tamsin Dowsett
Crone: Claire Parrish
Little Cosette: Sylvie Erskine
Thenardier: Tom Edden
Madame Thenardier: Wendy Ferguson
Young Éponine: Matilda Hopkins
Gavroche: Max Robson
Éponine: Carrie Hope Fletcher
Cosette: Emilie Fleming
Montparnasse: Michael Riseley
Brujon: Adam Pearce
Babet: Adam Linstead
Claquesous: Simon Shorten
Enjolras: Michael Colbourne
Marius: Rob Houchen
Combeferre: Jonny Purchase
Feuilly: Ashley Stillburn
Courfeyrac: James Gant
Joly: Ethan Bradshaw
Grantaire: Jeremy Batt
Lesgles: Dougie Carter or Jordan Lee Davis
Jean Prouvaire: Dougie Carter or Jordan Lee Davis

"I had to make a conscious effort to stop crying so that I could sing along"

It's been 9 years since I last saw Les Mis in London and with the release of the film in 2012 and my getting more involved in the fandom, my increasing desire to see it again reached fever pitch. I had passed up the opportunity to see it in 2010 in order to see Wicked again, and whilst that may seem strange, I'm glad I made that call even though it meant I missed seeing a very good cast. Finally an opportunity arose as my musical theatre group planned a trip to London for July 2014. My original intention was to see Andrew Lloyd Webber's Stephen Ward and maybe Les Mis but when the former sadly flopped I realised that this was definitely my time to get back to the Queens theatre and back to the show that has dominated my whole life. I booked my seat really early and got E21 (I would recommend it and will try and get a similar seat next time I go). Some of my friends booked later but we were all seated separately. Excitement grew with the casting announcements of David Thaxton as Javert and much of the cast remaining (Wendy, Rob, Carrie).
Finally July arrived and after seeing a matinee production of Book of Mormon with the rest of the group, I met up with my best friends Katharin and Helen to grab dinner before heading to the theatre. We checked out the stage door location and Cosette mural before heading into the theatre. After buying a mountain of memorabilia (t-shirt, mug, programmes) and checking the cast board (despite my fears of missing David Thaxton or any of the other major stars, the main cast was all present), I went to my seat which was even better than I had anticipated (having waited 9 years I was not going to settle for missing anything). So shaking with excitement I waited and soon enough it began...

Disclaimers
- I had the most wonderful time at the performance and none of the flaws that are mentioned did anything to spoil my enjoyment.
-I will use the character and actor names interchangeably, it's too difficult otherwise. Sorry if it's confusing.
-Also, considering how long it is since I last saw the show, I may comment on things that are normal stage directions as something new and exciting. If so, it's just because I wasn't expecting them.
-I haven't really written a review like this before so it will verge between prose and bullet points, bear with me.
-Also, excuse any repetition.

Prologue
The opening chords, as always, had me in tears (my thing about overtures has not let up) but I did have to get over the orchestration which is much lighter and than I'm used to with the CSR as my primary source. It needs a stronger bass line. Lockyer's Valjean seemed very influenced by Karimloo's broadway performance, even the look with the shaved head and beard rather than the long shaggy hair. At this point Javert doesn't have a lot to do but Thaxton just emanated Javertness, I was buzzing to hear more. His sarcastic "No!" was excellent. There was a great moment before Javert leaves the stage where it was just him and JVJ maintaining eye contact in a quite dim light. It was a great image. One thing that bugged me was that as the convicts left, the lines 'you'll always be a slave' and 'you're standing in your grave', were switched around. I'm not sure how old this change is but it sounds so jarring.
Being used to the concerts and CDs I forgot how much the chorus was in the prologue as the workers and villagers at the inn. The colour scheme in the bit where JVJ goes to find work struck me as being really pretty and country-like.
I unfortunately didn't like Adam Linstead's bishop. His vibrato was too over the top and though his acting was fine, his voice just put me off completely.
Soliloquy was great with superb, fast changes in emotion which are exactly what's required.

At the End of the Day
The intro to this was another teary moment for me but that was marred by latecomers being let in in my row and in the row behind. I had to give them my best dirty look through the tears.
The scene was great even though the singing was ever so slightly too 'nice' (I'm used to a more harsh tone).
Celinde looks perfect as Fantine, really gorgeous.
I thought the foreman looked a bit too greasy. Just a personal opinion, I mean he should look a bit unsavoury but he's still at work.

I Dreamed a Dream
I liked it, others in my group hated it.
Celinde belted a lot which was fine but I would have liked a few more quiet moments. Some of the others got the feeling the song was in the wrong key, I didn't hear it (and it's the type of thing that I would notice) so I think they just didn't like the belting.
Lovely Ladies/ Fantine's arrest
Really good- loved the shadows behind which I hadn't noticed before.
Celinde acted unconscious until just before Javert started addressing her which I liked,made her seem so small.
Oh Thaxton, he was incredible, amazing stage presence. Great interaction between him and the other guards as he holds them back while JVJ and Fantine interact.

Runaway Cart
I forgot about the slow motion running before the cart appears. It could appear silly but the chorus were great so it was perfectly realistic. The cut lines didn't bother me because I'd looked them up before, they might have if I hadn't been prepared.
Great interaction between Thaxton and Lockyer after. Thaxton's Javert looks so proud when talking about having caught Valjean.

Who Am I
This was really really good
Good use of silence- making the dilemma seem more obvious.
At the start he really looks so happy about this chance to be free of being Valjean.
Possibly too much vibrato but he hit the last note and did it well so it didn't matter.
Also, Javert is at the court, which I suppose makes sense considering Valjean addresses him
' And so Javert, you see it's true.' It just surprised me.

Come to Me
The scenery here is so lovely with the projected window and lighting.
I think I may have cried briefly here too as I was directly in Celinde's line of sight for her last few lines.

Confrontation
Excellent
The tension was great and fight scene felt real rather than choreographed.
Thaxton took the first part of the 'you know nothing of Javert' verse up an octave which sounded great.

Castle on a Cloud
It's better this length (without extra verse)
Wee Cosette was adorable. I loved that she wasn't as super posh as they usually are. She had a lisp and with her broom she looked just like the engraving that provides the logo.
Wendy has great presence as Madame T, possibly too shouty but I didn't mind. And little Éponine was adorable too.

Master of the House
Really good, I'd forgotten how much goes on in the background of this scene and I love all that comedy going on in the background from the chorus. This song got the first big cheer from the audience. I'd been cheering as well as clapping in every applause which up until this point had just garnered me some weird looks from my neighbours. But after this it became normal.

Waltz of Treachery
The bit in the forest was there (I can't remember when this was put back in as it was definitely in the original but gone by the CSR and it was back in the film.) It was very cute.
The 'la la la' section (for want of a better name) was lovely but I got the feeling Lockyer was a bit sharp for a lot of it.
The interactions between JVJ and the 2 thenardiers was great and I loved how tiny little Cosette looked all curled up on a stool during it.
The interaction between JVJ and Cosette afterwards was lovely, really reminded me of the photos of Colm Wilkinson from the original London production.

Look Down
More tears from me.
I love how the some of the chorus are hanging out from the stage almost over the audience.
I wasn't sure of Michael Colbourne's Enjolras at first, his voice didn't seem commanding enough even though he looked great in the role. I think it's just that I'm used to Warlow on the CSR.
Gavroche was great, cute and sassy in the right proportions. I loved the fact that Rob Houchen's Marius wasn't all best-friendy with Carrie Fletcher's Éponine, just a bit concerned for her.
The Éponine/Montparnasse interactions were great as well. It's nice to see a young looking Parnasse after the older ones from the concerts.

The Robbery
Very well done.
Thenardier had an eyepatch on which he pulled off at 'wait a bit, know that face'.
Cosette kinda got thrown against the wall in the chaos that followed and I thought it was adorable how Rob ran over to protect her.
Thaxton's 'Another brawl in the square' was awesome. He absolutely commanded the stage.
There was a nice bit of interaction from Éponine and Montparnasse on the bridge part of the set before Stars started, as though they were having an argument of some sort as she watched Marius run off.

Stars
Phenomenal, perfect, I cannot use enough superlatives for this.

Éponine's Errand
This was well done.
The way Carrie grinned when Rob grabs her shoulder reminded me of Sam Barks in the movie.

ABC Cafe
This was my first time seeing this when I was able to tell the Amis apart by their lines and costumes. Hey last time I saw it I doubt that I knew all their names and I was still spelling and pronouncing Courfeyrac as Confeyrac and Thenardier as Thernardier (I'm not proud of that).
I love this scene and this production was excellent. Great characterisation.
I loved the interaction between Enjolras and Marius, and Enjolras and Grantaire. Jeremy Batt was Grantaire and looked great in the role, like George blagden with a beard.
I loved how irritated Colbourne seemed with Rob's Marius at first.
I also love the fact that Grantaire stands before Marius in the final rendition of Red and Black. Rob really waited till the very last moment to stand
Colbourne's 'Lamarque is Dead' was wonderful. In the first phrase it was like he couldn't quite grasp the fact moving on to the realisation that this is his chance. He seemed so excited.

Do You Hear the People Sing
I was still worried that I'd be disappointed and that Michael C wouldn't be able to do it, but I was wrong, he was excellent. He started quite quietly and contemplatively (like he was giving a speech) and continued to get louder. He was incredible.
I didn't cry till the final chords which I was a bit surprised at, but hey.

In My Life
I had no real expectations regarding Emilie Fleming's Cosette but I was really pleasantly surprised. She had great presence, her voice was wonderful and she wasn't too weak a character especially in her verse with Valjean.
Rob and Carrie were great here as well, I was too bowled over by Emilie to notice anything in particular there.

A Heart Full of Love
The trio in this was really lovely.
I'd forgotten how nice the scenery is in this scene and how the really slowly turning stage can get the gate the other way round by the end of the song without spinning too fast.

Attack on Rue Plumet
This was great especially the interaction between Éponine and Thenardier, and Éponine and Montparnasse.
Carrie was great here, really strong, not like Sam Barks in the movie at this point.
There was a lovely moment as Marius introduces Éponine to Cosette and is generally running around in a panic, Emilie and Carrie stood really still staring at each other through the gate as the stage rotated.
I was a bit annoyed that Emilie Fleming didn't act more annoyed when Valjean announced that they are leaving. She just looked a bit shocked and distraught. I wouldn't usually think of this but due to her earlier strength I expected a bit more character development here.

One Day More
AMAZING!!
I had to make a conscious decision to stop crying so that I could sing along.
Last edited by Rachelle on Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Cure your Cholera with boiled water and bananas"

Rachelle

Re: Rachelle's review of 2013/2014 cast

Postby Rachelle » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:46 pm

Here Upon these Stones
Great, there was some good interaction between Enjolras and Marius here as Marius was talking to Éponine and Enjolras was shouting to him to hurry up.

The Letter
Really good
I liked that JVJ recognised that Éponine was a girl and removed her hat.
Éponine watched from behind the gate as JVJ read the first part of Marius' letter. This felt very in character.

On My Own
Wonderful, singing, acting...everything was wonderful.
I'd forgotten how lovely the set is in this scene with the light coming through the shutters.

Barricade!!!
I forgot how wonderful that huge set is; it's a character in its own right almost.
So much enthusiasm from the cast at this point, almost upsetting considering what's coming.

Barricade Warnings
They were good, nothing special, but I suppose it's hard to do anything special with them unless you're able to alter the tempo and considering they're done off stage, you can't really do much acting. They were sung well though.

Javert at the Barricade
I loved the acting here as Thaxton reached for the gun as Gavroche reveals his identity and is quickly pulled back by the rest.
Little people was good, I loved the the eye contact between Gavroche and Javert during the scene.
Thaxton was great in the 'shoot me now or shoot me later' section. Really amazing.
Previously I was very annoyed about the fact that the 'take the bastard now and shoot him' section was cut but having seen it on stage I think it works better without it. It's faster and it gives Javert's lines more strength.

A Little Fall of Rain
I was almost in tears at this, really wonderful.
I loved how long Rob waited before singing 'grow'.
After the song, Gavroche went stage right and had a cry in the corner. (Possible brick reference?)

Night of Anguish
JVJ's arrival was great, especially the acting from the chorus. I loved the shouts and the motioning towards Javert as Enjolras calls him a spy.

First Attack
I forgot how 'cracking' the gun shots are (no pun intended).
I love the chaos in this scene.

JVJ and Javert
This scene was so good. Thaxton wasn't quite sassmaster but he was verging on it. Valjean really threw Javert around before he let him go during the 'you are wrong and always have been wrong' section which I liked.

Drink with Me
This was great, I was really surprised that I didn't cry.
The E/R moment was more of a stern talking to than a warm embrace but I liked it as it was very in character. Grantaire's verse was wonderful, really rueful and verging on angry.

Bring Him Home
I was worried because of all the vibrato he used in 'Who am I' but he pulled it off, very genuinely very truthfully. It was well done.

Dawn of Anguish
Some women stayed on the barricade after Enjolras's warning. Is that usual??
Without the Drink With Me Reprise, this scene moves on so fast to the 2nd attack. I was very surprised by that but in hindsight it works well.

2nd Attack/Gavroche's death
I started crying when Gavroche died and didn't stop till after the barricade fell.
Enjolras looked so crushed after Gavroche died, it was so upsetting.

Final Battle
Michael Colbourne didn't quite do the flying jump but he almost did.
Also he sang the high note in 'until the earth is free'. Having listened to it again, it was ok but not spectacular. He hit the note and it was ok but I think because he had dark hair I nearly expected him to shout it like Ramin did. That sounds weird but that's become my logic with Enjolrati (dark haired ones tend to shout the end of the line and blondies tend to sing it). It's not a hard and fast rule but it's often proved true so the fact that the note was sung in this case surprised me.
There was a lovely E/R moment over ?Combeferre's body before Enjolras returned to the barricade for the last time, followed by Grantaire who was at the top of the barricade when it fell.
I was literally sobbing at the end, could not cope.
I forgot that Valjean was still there and was rather surprised when he awoke.
I loved how he acted like the trap door was so heavy.
My only issue was during the rotation of the barricade due to the fact that Thaxton was climbing the barricade at that point it was moving a little and that made Michael Colbourne kinda move up and down a little while he was playing dead which was really unfortunate.
Thaxton's Javert looked so exhausted while he sat on the barricade for a few moments before he realised that JVJ was in the sewers. He tried to lift the trapdoor and failed which I thought was great acting.
Whilst I was was originally furious when I heard that the oboe solo of bring him home had had a verse cut, it didn't bother me too much when I heard it. In the concert versions, the oboe solo is like an entr'acte and therefore has a bigger role whereas in the stage show it is backing music and whilst it is a gorgeous orchestration of the song, it only needs to be long enough for the barricade rotation and Javert's attempts at the trapdoor.

Dog Eat Dog
Much shorter than I expected, even less verses than in the 25ac. It's probably my least favourite song but I think it deserves another verse. But it was good apart from that, Tom Edden was great and really creepy.
He reprised the lines 'ain't the world a remarkable place' when he sees Valjean which I thought was a lovely touch.

Javert and Valjean
So, so good
I love how confused and crazed Thaxton played Javert.

Javert's Suicide
Amazing.
Thaxton played very angry, not quite as much as Hadley Fraser did but almost.
But it was really awkward because it seemed that afterwards there was time for an applause but none came. I would have started one but I wasn't sure enough. By the time I thought it had gone too long the girls were on stage for Turning. It just felt really wrong, there should have been an applause there. Oh dear, listening to the 1992 Tour Cast Album (the only live one I have on my iPod) there's definitely meant to be one. Oh, I feel so bad now.

Turning
A really lovely moment, I don't share the general dislike of this song that is so common in the fandom. It was really sad because Gavroche had a little red flag earlier and it was picked up at this point.

Empty Chairs at Empty Tables
This was great. Rob was wonderful.
Another opportunity to try and identify the barricade boys in the lineup.

Everyday/ Valjean's Confession
Everyday was lovely, Emilie wasn't too sickly sweet as Cosette which was wonderful.
I loved Rob and Peter's interactions and how Marius accepted Valjean's confession.

Wedding
This was so lovely and happy looking
I was able to recognise several of the barricade boys which I was very proud of.

Beggars at the Feast
Excellent- very funny (stealing plates, wendy fell over)
Jeremy Batt who played Grantaire was also 'the queer' (possible obscure brick allusion)

Finale
I was in tears quite early in this, it was really wonderful.
I could just about gasp out the lyrics.
Éponine and Fantine's harmonies were beautiful.

And I was first up for the standing ovation!!!!

Rachelle

Postby Rachelle » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:48 pm

The Cast

Jean Valjean: Peter Lockyer
Excellent
Very reminiscent of Ramin's broadway Valjean in terms of looks. Perhaps too much vibrato in Who Am I but apart from that he was wonderful.
He had a lovely voice and didn't sound too American when he sang (American accents in les Mis tend to annoy me. I'm sure it's fine if everyone has one but when there's one very American accent it gets distracting.
His acting was great, particularly in Who am I and Soliloquy... Actually, what am I saying he was great the whole way through.

Javert: David Thaxton
What can I say, the man was amazing. Having not seen him as Enjolras apart from in YouTube videos I did wonder if he would meet the high expectations. He exceeded them. His range is remarkable (I've heard him sing the top note in final battle, yet he seemed completely and utterly comfortable in Javert's range). His acting reminded me of Earl Carpenter but better (and I do love Earl C). I need to listen to him again before I can make the judgement if he was better than Quast or not. Yes, that is how good I thought he was, I'm questioning the number one spot on my Javert hall of fame.
And on listening to an audio recording I can say he's definitely on a par with Philip Quast.
Whatever happens for the 30th anniversary, in my mind, the role of Javert is well and truly cast.

Fantine: Celinde Schoenmaker
I liked her in the role, even though she belted a bit too much in I Dreamed a Dream. She looked perfect as Fantine and was able to hit the low notes and didn't sopranoise the role. Her Come To Me was lovely.

Éponine: Carrie Hope Fletcher
I had high expectations and I wasn't disappointed
Her interactions with Marius and with Montparnasse were wonderful and her voice was amazing.

Cosette: Emilie Fleming
I was really blown away by her performance as I wasn't expecting her to be good at all. She had great stage presence and a lovely voice.

Marius: Rob Houchen
I really haven't said that much about him but he was great. Likeable but not too hammy. A little fall of rain was especially lovely.

Enjolras: Michael Colbourne
I felt he was quite reminiscent of some of the American Enjolrati, I'm not sure why, just a feeling.
He had a light enough voice which worried me at first but there was no need, he was wonderful in the role. Excellent interactions with Marius, Grantaire and the other Amis. I would say that he doesn't sound as strong when just listening to him on the audio but having seen him, it's his acting that made him great.

Thenardier: Tom Edden
Good, slimy but funny.
The audience really loved him.

Madame Thenardier: Wendy Ferguson
I was really looking forward to seeing her as we're from the same area. She was great but a bit shouty at times.

Little Cosette, Éponine and Gavroche: Sylvie Erskine, Matilda Hopkins, Max Robson
All great. Little Cosette was even smaller than usual which made the broom look huge. Little Éponine was also very cute and very in character.
Gavroche was great, the right balance of sass and cuteness.

Theanrdier's Gang
All great, especially Michael Riseley as Montparnasse, so in character especially with Carrie's Éponine.

The Amis
So, so amazing! I loved the fact that Ashley Stillburn's Feuilly kept his jacket on through the whole of the barricade scenes rather than going down to waistcoat and shirt like most of the others. It just seemed very in character.
James Gant's Courfeyrac was great as well.
Jeremy Batt (usually playing Joly) as Grantaire was wonderful. I didn't realise that he was the understudy till I got home and started compiling the cast list.

The Audience
I was on my own (excuse the unintended pun) with friends scattered throughout the stalls. At the beginning I was surrounded by quiet talkers which was annoying. During At the End Of The Day there was a crowd that arrived late and I had to get up to let them into the row which was infuriating. The should have had to wait till the interval (maybe that's too harsh but it just annoyed me so much).
At first the audience seemed very sedate. I whooped and cheered during every applause which garnered a few odd looks but after master of the house they livened up.
I mentioned that there was no applause after Javert's suicide which I felt there should have been (backed up by listening to other recordings). I gave him an extra big applause during the bows to make up for it.

Stage Door
I ran round afterwards. There were about 10 people at first which was up to 15-20 by the end.
I saw Adam Pearce (Brujon/Bamatabois) who I recognised from the movie and got an autograph off him.
Ashley Stillburn came out then and I recognised him as Feuilly but couldn't for the life of me remember his name. He found this quite amusing and I got a photo and autograph from him.
Celinde came next and I got a photo with her. She was really lovely.
I think Emilie may have come out at that point too but I missed her.
Carrie came out at that point and although she was mobbed a bit by the crowds I managed to get a photo and autograph.
Rob was there too but I missed him. My friends got a photo with him.
Michael Colbourne came out next but seemed to move the other way through the crowd so I had to chase after him to get a photo and autograph. He was so nice and absolutely gorgeous.
Peter Lockyer was the last out. He was lovely and so gracious. Got a photo and autograph from him.
I was a bit sad that I'd missed Wendy Ferguson and David Thaxton but the whole experience was so amazing that it didn't bother me too much.
Here's to my next trip which will hopefully be much sooner than another nine years.
Xxx

Rachelle

Postby Rachelle » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:49 pm

Would love to hear opinions, questions etc.
So happy that I can get on the forum again :D

MmeBahorel

Re: Rachelle's review of 2014/2015 cast

Postby MmeBahorel » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:05 am

I'm happy we can all get on the forum again! :)

Thanks for this. I'll be in town at the end of October and this is confirming that yes, I do want to spend one of my evenings at the Queen's. (I'm over for the James Plays at the National, but I booked for the marathon day in order to have extra theatre slots free.)
What kind of literature and what kind of life is the same question. - Tom Stoppard

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:24 am

Glad you liked Emilie, that's promising. And obviously good news about Thacko. Interesting that you think he's like Carpy since he was Javert for a good portion of Thacko's Enjolras run. And definitely good news about Michael, I'm really hoping he's good, because that first audio sounded like my sort of Enjy.

I actually know what you mean about the blond/brunet Enjolrati and the high notes thing! I might not have expected it, but there is a wee correlation there!

Re. the wedding - unless they've changed it for this cast, Grantaire usually plays the major domo (with Enjolras as the waiter), so maybe Batt reverted to his normal track as "the queer" for that scene rather than it being any sort of hint :D

Ahhh, I need money so I can start plotting my next trip!
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

Alouette

Postby Alouette » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:59 am

Rachelle, I was there the night before you!!

Wow, I've read this a few times now and it's so nice to relive everything again.

Adam Linstead is now the major domo so if that was Grantaire's old track it seems they've kept him in every role except, well, Grantaire.

Isn't Michael Colbourne just adorable?! I talked to him briefly at the stage door. It was so pleasant and he seemed chuffed to have a chat. Peter Lockyer is a sweetheart too. I also missed Thacko :(

Btw, there was no applause for Javert's soliloquy when I was there either. I thought it was a given that nobody applauded it. You could tell though that people didn't know what to do, because it was that good - there was definite tension in the air and much more so than for Tam both times I saw him.

Great review!

Rachelle

Postby Rachelle » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:48 pm

I'm glad you felt the no-applause after Javert's suicide was awkward too. There was some in the bootleg I found on tumblr but I feel less bad knowing that you had the same experience. Thaxton was so amazing, I was expecting greatness and my expectations were surpassed.
Colbourne was such a sweetie, I'd actually quite like to see him as Marius as I think he'd be good in the role too.
I'm glad you liked it, I love looking through it to relive it as well. I was lucky to have a lot of time in Victoria station and Gatwick to make a draft of it.
I'm still on a high more than a week later.

Rachelle

Postby Rachelle » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:23 pm

Acaila wrote:Glad you liked Emilie, that's promising. And obviously good news about Thacko. Interesting that you think he's like Carpy since he was Javert for a good portion of Thacko's Enjolras run. And definitely good news about Michael, I'm really hoping he's good, because that first audio sounded like my sort of Enjy.

I actually know what you mean about the blond/brunet Enjolrati and the high notes thing! I might not have expected it, but there is a wee correlation there!

Re. the wedding - unless they've changed it for this cast, Grantaire usually plays the major domo (with Enjolras as the waiter), so maybe Batt reverted to his normal track as "the queer" for that scene rather than it being any sort of hint :D

Ahhh, I need money so I can start plotting my next trip!

Enjolras was definitely the waiter, I was extra pleased to recognise Colbourne at that point.

Re. The blonde/brunette Enjolrati: I'm glad I'm not the only one whose noticed the correlation.

Are there any other bootlegs other than the one that was on tumblr?

Alouette

Postby Alouette » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:05 pm

Colbourne would be great as Marius! I can see him as Candide as well.

My high lasted ages too, particularly as it was my first time to chat at the stage door.

Right, I need to get going on my review.

Rachelle

Postby Rachelle » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:45 pm

It was my first time at the stage door too. :)

Alouette

Postby Alouette » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:15 am

Yay for first-time stage dooring! And you did much better than me because I didn't get any photos.

Rachelle

Postby Rachelle » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:39 am

I nearly didn't though. I dropped my camera on the way to he stagedoor because my hands were shaking so much.

Alouette

Postby Alouette » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:05 am

Lucky the camera survived! It's such a scary-good feeling. I just knew after the show ended that I'd do it, even though I'd been apprehensive all day.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:47 pm

I'll be honest and say that I've been nervous about stagedooring. And I'm generally a very confident person, even when talking to famous people. It's people I hold in high regard that I have the problem with, which probably correlates with the fact I only stagedoor occasionally when there's someone in particular I want to fawn over!
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

Return to “Les Misérables”