Seeing Les Mis in Melbourne tonight!!!

Any discussion related to any production or staging of Boublil and Schönberg's Les Misérables.
Prisoner 9430

Seeing Les Mis in Melbourne tonight!!!

Postby Prisoner 9430 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:49 am

So excited! Been waiting for this for so so so so so long

Acaila

Re: Seeing Les Mis in Melbourne tonight!!!

Postby Acaila » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:25 pm

Omg omg omg, can I swap lives with you for tonight? Pretty please?!

You better give a full review so we can live vicariously through you!
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

Prisoner 9430

Postby Prisoner 9430 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:35 am

This won't be a very thorough or good review so please don't hurt me!

This was the first time I've seen Les Mis, however I've been in a production (2013) and listened to countless recordings over the past couple of years. So it was time to see my favourite musical live!

Before I start let me just say the worst thing about this show was the audience. Hardly any applause, but I’ll get to that later…

Prologue: This was incredible. The projections of waves crashing against the prisoners together with the composure of all the actors made for a great start to the show, it was definitely living up to what I wanted.

Probably my favourite little detail was that during Valjean's monologue (freedom is mine...) Little Gervais came out and Valjean stepped on the coin! I’m not sure if this is done in other productions but it was a nice thing for fans of the book to have noticed.

I’ll get to individual reviews of each actor later but Simon Gleeson’s efforts in this scene were remarkable. The physicality was exactly what is needed from a Valjean. One thing that I absolutely HATED throughout the entire show was that there were little remarks from random characters in pivotal scenes. This is a sung-through musical (with like one or two exceptions, DON’T ADD IN WORDS!!!) but whatever, it’s still Les Mis.

Bishop/Arrest/Forgiven: One of my favourite scenes anyway, this was another good one. The nuns were great and the Bishop in his nightdress thing was quite amusing. I felt the Bishop stayed on stage for a bit too long and was looking back at Valjean during the intro of the soliloquy.

No applause in between the end of this and the start of the soliloquy :’(

Valjean’s Soliloquy: Now I believe Les Mis should have ACTORS that can sing well, not singers that can somewhat act. Simon Gleeson is a fantastic actor and an amazing singer, but he butchered my 3rd favourite song in my opinion. My favourite version is Ramin’s from London 2012 where it is rough but still well sung. Gleeson unfortunately went too much on the rough-talk/sing route and the pacing was awkward to me.

I don’t know if this is something in the 25th production or if it’s always been like this, but on the final word “Be—gii-iiiiin” the yellow ticket should be ripped on the 3 beats (if that makes sense), like Boe did in the 25th concert. Instead here we saw Valjean slowly raise it above his head then just do one rip on the very last note. Not as effective.

At the End of the Day: I won’t say much because the ensemble throughout the entire show were fantastic and this was no exception.

I Dreamed a Dream: This started without any music at all???????? “There was a time…” up until the actual duun dun duun dun dun duun dun dun boo boo boo bo bo bo bo bo (terrible transcribing) was all silent. It was strange but I didn’t mind it. Not as emotional a performance as I would’ve liked (I personally think the song should be after LL like in the movie)

Lovely Ladies: The acting in this was hilariously good! Everyone was really getting into it and it was a pleasure to watch. Bamatabois’ performance was probably the best non-lead of the night.

Fantine’s Arrest: Great work between Javert, Valjean, and Fantine in this scene. Can’t remember much else about it but it was done very well.

Runaway Cart: Holy shit it was a big cart! Again with the ensemble mostly on stage it did a good job of bringing you into an otherwise fairly awkward scene.

Who Am I: Of all the solos in the musical (not including Castle on a Cloud) this is my least favourite. Gleeson did a great job of it though, proving his singing voice is one to be jealous of. The reveal of the court was awesome and the final note was done perfectly.

Fantine’s Death: I can’t begin to speak about this, so I won’t. (No applause from the audience, is this normal?)

Confrontation: I freaking love the Confrontation and this was a super physical rendition, with both actors really getting up in each others’ face and the fights seemed very real. However, at the end when they are singing their individual lines (I swear to you…) They were facing each other singing it to the other person. This seemed odd to me as I thought Valjean was supposed to be directing it towards Fantine.

Castle on a Cloud: Fine.

Master of the House: I hate this song so much. So so so so so so so so much. I know everyone loves it to bits but I just have bad memories from our production. I hated that of all the big songs, MotH got the biggest eruption of applause from the audience, not even ODM or any solos got such a reaction. This was probably due to the fact that the Thenardiers were great at their parts, but I still can’t stand the song!

The Well: Very nicely done. Gleeson was very genuine and you could really believe he wanted to care for Cosette.

Bargain: See above with MotH and the Well, done well but I don’t really like the song.

Look Down: In the opening chords/notes/whatever, Valjean and Cosette are seeing the people enter the stage which I found strange as it is a shift in time. Can’t complain about this song though because again the ensemble pulled it off nicely. Gavroche was a little shit though and stole the stage (not in a good way)

Robbery: Yeah this was alright. I’ll get to Marius later but TL;DR he was terrible and so was Éponine. Thenardiers did a great job in this scene and the fighting between JVJ and Thenardier’s gang was good

Javert’s Intervention: AMAZING! Except that annoying little cretin, Gavroche, stayed on stage for way too long looking at Javert during the intro to Stars :(

Stars: This would be the 4th best renditions of Stars I’ve ever heard (Crivello 1st, Fraser 2nd, Quast 3rd). Tee was a bit breathy but it was still fantastically amazingly awesomely spectacular.

Gavroche’s little jingle thing: Whatever, it was ok. It legitimately got a bigger applause that IDAD and Stars though…

Éponine’s Errand: See, my biggest problem with Éponine was that she was too much of an obnoxious tomboy and you never really felt like she actually loved Marius (until OMO when it was a bit too late).

ABC Cafe/Red and Black: I was Courfeyrac in our production so I have a soft spot for these scenes, and as such I thought this was great.

DYHTPS: Not as powerful as it should be if I’m totally honest.

In My Life: Don’t have much to say but it was a lot better than most others that I’ve heard.

AHFOL: The reason I didn’t like this Marius was that he never had any facial expressions, wasn’t a great actor, and his voice portrayed no emotion at all, it was just a pretty boy singing voice. This + Éponine’s terrible efforts at pretending she cared about Marius made AHFOL pretty underwhelming.

Attack on Rue Plumet: Very very good, once again Thenardier stole the stage and made this scene his own. Éponine’s scream was obviously prerecorded and you could tell easily.

One Day More: YES! I can’t even remember if it was done well I just love ODM to death.

ACT TWO - I’m going to go through this quickly.

Upon these stones: Fine.

On My Own: She performed this so magnificently and you finally got to see her longing love for Marius, however because it wasn’t present in Act 1 it was hard to believe in this song.

Barricade jazz/Javert’s Arrival/more Barricade jazz: Good.

Little Fall of Rain: Éponine was basically having a seizure during this but she sung very well and had some great emotions. Marius on the other hand was dreadful and his pretty boy voice did not suit the song at all.

Night of Anguish/First Attack: Good.

Drink With Me: DWM is hands down my favourite song in the entire show, and possibly my favourite song in all of musical theatre (Falling Slowly is a close 2nd). My favourite performance is Crivello’s in the TAC as Grantaire, I can’t describe it but he doesn’t seem like a hopeless drunk but rather really shows what I want from a Grantaire. This Grantaire on the other hand just played it off as a comedic character and it ruined the song.

Bring Him Home: Holy. Fuck. Gleeson brought the house down with this, better than Ramin, better than Colm, better than anyone else I’ve heard. I don’t know what it was about it but it was insane.

2nd Attack/Final attack: This was staged really really well, the use of sounds and lights really worked to give it some realism. Grantaire going up the barricade to die worked well too, but it would’ve been better provided his DWM solo wasn’t so bad.

Instead of having Enjolras hanging on the barricade, he was hanging out the back of a cart pulled by an army officer, worked very nicely.

Dog Eats Dog/Sewers: The projections were so cool during this, really making the montage of Valjean carrying Marius seem real. Thenardier again was great in this scene.

Javert’s Suicide: I love this song so much and like Stars, Tee did a fantastic job of it. Seeing him float to his death was strange but it worked with the use of projections. We had our Javert fall down to his death off a pretty big height (I’ll try and link you a .gif of it)

OUR SUICIDE
http://gyazo.com/c04e5f288856fa51bdf78a1ab9dcf1f4

Turning: Yeah.

Empty Chairs: Marius’ complete lack of emotion killed this song :( (Does Éponine usually come out as a ghost with the other students? I thought she did but apparently not?)

All the rest: Extremely well done, the finale brought many tears to everyones eyes and it was great.

Ratings

Valjean: 8
Javert: 9.5
Fantine: 9
Éponine: 5
Marius: 2
Cosette: 6
Enjolras: 7
Bishop: 9
Grantaire: 4
Gavroche: 1 (fuck Gavroche)
Thenardiers: 9
Ensemble: 9.5

Overall... 6.5-7/10, would see it again every night of my life

MmeBahorel

Postby MmeBahorel » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:40 am

No, Éponine does not come out with the students because she isn't a revolutionary. One of the US tour Gavroches, though, put up a really big fight about how it's wrong Gav isn't in ECAET because he is a revolutionary, and they let him join the tableau for closing night. Newer productions have been properly integrating him.

Glad you enjoyed it!
What kind of literature and what kind of life is the same question. - Tom Stoppard

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:56 am

You maybe heard about Carrie Hope Fletcher joining in with the boys in the most recent London muck up matinee? Just a one off though :)

Super pleased you liked Hayden though. Absolutely adoring what I've heard of him so far!

Are Australian audiences often more subdued? Really surprised at Valjean's Soliloquy not getting a lot of applause (and Gleeson sounds pretty decent to me so I don't think it's his fault!).

Did Gleeson go for the big note at the end of Who Am I then since you mention he did it perfectly? He didn't on opening night, which seemed rather weird, and I was hoping that was just a one off.
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Dr Craven

Postby Dr Craven » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:52 am

I saw the show on the night of the 11th - it was terrific!
In answer to your question, Acaila, Gleeson did nail the top note at the end of Who Am I in subsequent performances, as far as I'm aware. He definitely did at mine.

Hayden Tee's Javert was just awesome from his very first lines. His voice was rich, but cold and ruthless. My only gripe was that he needed to dial back on the growly approach a bit for 'Stars', as I believe it's necessary to show Javert's vulnerability and emotional conviction in that scene, if we're to care when his life later falls apart. Javert's Soliloquy was incredible - say what you will about the 25th Anniversary staging, the effects as he's falling are vastly superior to those from the original version. My memory might be failing me as I was so in awe at the visuals, but I'm pretty sure Tee went for a high A on the last note of the song, three semitones above the usual F#.

The Confrontation was cool in terms of blocking and all that - I really wish they would have dialed back the intensity just a bit, as it was nigh impossible to hear what they were singing unless you already knew the words. My friend, a first time viewer, completely missed Javert's resentment of the fact that he was born in a jail, as their voices were really difficult to distinguish. Thus, a really important aspect of Javert's motivation was unclear. Of course, this is more an issue with every recent production than this one in particular.

Kerrie Anne Greenland did a fine job as Éponine. At times, her Australian accent seeped through, but overall she gave a stirring performance, and was much stronger than Marius or Cosette. Euan Doidge was something of a weak link as Marius - he didn't hold his vowels at all, had no real vibrato, and squeaked into almost every big note. His phrasing was like, 'In my life, she has burst like the musicofangelsthelight of the sun', with no emphasis during any of the big notes. It was almost staccato-like. Eugh. In light of all this, his 'Empty Chairs' was actually pretty good.

Grantaire was good! His verse in 'Drink With Me' was very resentful, almost barked at the other students who then tried to restrain him - interesting new approach.

Enjolras was pretty good, but not terrific. His voice wasn't quite as powerful as I might have liked. He didn't sing 'is free', just shouted. This didn't bother me much, as the recordings I've always listened to have it the same way.

Cosette did well, but was ultimately pretty forgettable. Nonetheless, she nailed her high notes in A Heart Full of Love, One Day More and the finale.

The barricade falling was really nicely done, the lighting and sound design all very engrossing. The sewers were also excellent from a visual standpoint.

Some things that bothered me throughout the production:
- Too much speak singing - sure, this is an effective way to heighten emotion, when done right and in the right context. E.g. 'I am reaching but I fall' is a perfect time to deliver the lines in this way. The first verse of Valjean's Soliloquy is not. :x
- SO MANY SEX JOKES. Seriously, they had Grantaire miming a penis when he sang the 'Don Juan' line, they had Mmme Thenardier holding a phallic loaf of bread for 'thinks he's quite a lover'. After the Waltz of Treachery, they flipping had Thenardier shove his head under Mme's skirt and start going down on her in celebration. Seriously, the four (?) penis references already in the dialogue were more than enough of this kind of humour. Lovely Ladies was very racy, but that's one point in the show where it's more justified.
- Too many visual gags by the Thenardiers, when the focus is meant to be elsewhere. It seemed like they wanted to steal every scene they were in and turn it into a farce.
Last edited by Dr Craven on Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Dr Craven

Postby Dr Craven » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:56 am

Prisoner, sounds like your audience kinda sucked. Valjean's Soliloquy got huge applause at mine, so did Stars.

EDIT:
Some more things.
The orchestration was wonderful - not too uptempo like the 25th Anniversary Version has tended to be, it was actually pretty well paced throughout. Of course it was lacking compared to the original at certain points, but overall it sounded terrific.

I should also be clear that the above complaints aside, it was one of the most wonderful experiences of my life, and an excellent show.

Prisoner 9430

Postby Prisoner 9430 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:35 pm

I've since found a video of the current Broadway cast and now I know that most of my gripes are with the 25th anniversary production rather than the actual performance or anything. But yes, my audience were awful and next time I see it (hopefully soon) I'll try and go on a Friday/Saturday night and fingers crossed have an enthusiastic crowd!

Prisoner 9430

Postby Prisoner 9430 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:38 pm

Dr Craven wrote:I saw the show on the night of the 11th - it was terrific!
- Too much speak singing - sure, this is an effective way to heighten emotion, when done right and in the right context. E.g. 'I am reaching but I fall' is a perfect time to deliver the lines in this way. The first verse of Valjean's Soliloquy is not. :x

Thank you for articulating what I was trying to say :D I am a huge fan of roughspeaksinging but only when it's appropriate. This is exactly the issue I had with Valjean's Soliloquy but Gleeson made up for it with the rest of his fantastic performance.

Also lastly I am so excited it's coming to Perth in January because I will be back there for uni holidays!!!

Dr Craven

Postby Dr Craven » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:16 pm

Prisoner 9430 wrote:One thing that I absolutely HATED throughout the entire show was that there were little remarks from random characters in pivotal scenes. This is a sung-through musical (with like one or two exceptions, DON’T ADD IN WORDS!!!) but whatever, it’s still Les Mis.

I thought this was okay in some cases. Enjolras saying 'well done, sir' after Valjean supposedly shooting Javert was fine, I thought. Interesting that they had the factory foreman be the man Fantine sleeps with in Lovely Ladies - after 'show him what you've got', he spoke the line 'the virtuous Fantine', clarifying that connection. Kind of silly, I think, added little except perhaps making it more degrading for her.

Gavroche rounding the people up and telling them to clear off after 'clear this garbage off the street' was just terrible. Clearly we can't have any cool Javert moments in the Paris scenes without Gavroche quickly stepping in to trivialise it. :( Hayden's Javert was commanding so much authority, then that completely undermined it. Eughhh.

Prisoner 9430 wrote:Instead here we saw Valjean slowly raise it above his head then just do one rip on the very last note. Not as effective.

I didn't mind this change at all, really. The slowly tearing it into smaller pieces has always been a bit ehhh in my opinion, some actors did it better than others, but when done badly it was awkward as hell. The way he sharply tore it in half, closely followed by the lights cutting out, was perhaps more effective, I felt.

Prisoner 9430 wrote:Éponine’s Errand: See, my biggest problem with Éponine was that she was too much of an obnoxious tomboy and you never really felt like she actually loved Marius (until OMO when it was a bit too late).

Definitely this. All she did in Act 1 was belittle(? lacking a more suitable word) Marius, and then complain about him not seeing that see actually she loves him.

Another thing I remembered - Gleeson's body language as the dying Valjean was terrific, it was entirely believable that he was an old man in that scene.

dnaylorau

Postby dnaylorau » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:09 am

I have seen Les Mis in Melbourne 5 times already and I am going again tomorrow night (25th August). I went to the first preview night and was quite disappointed by some of the performances. I have been 4 times since the opening night and I my disappointment has been overcome. This cast has improved show upon show.

Here's what I think so far:

I thought I would miss the revolve - not so. The new stagings are most acceptable to me. The sewers scene and Javert's suicide are brilliant.

I appreciated the inclusion of Little Gervais because I have always thought this to be a big omission from the stage show. One change I really disliked though, was at the end of the battle when they had all been killed, Gavroche was left lying at the front of the stage and a cart came on to carry his body away. In the original staging, there was an piccolo and harp solo, which created an emotional interlude. This has been lost, with the effect that the audience doesn't have time to absorb what has just happened.

Of the principals:

Valjean - excellent acting, although I felt some of his singing required more emotion. BHH was very good, indeed. I would have preferred he did not wave his arms about so much.

Javert - definitely the highlight for me. I saw Hayden Tee many times at the Queens, as Marius. His Javert is even better. Perfect combination of acting and singing.

Marius - Not bad. His ECAET was poor, poor. No emotion whatsoever.

Enjolras - Very good. Showed great stage presence and I like his singing.

Fantine - I thought Patrice Tipoki does a really fine job as Fantine. Her IDAD was sung with great emotion and feeling for her life. The physical way the factory girls treat her was really good. Fantine's death was very emotional too.

Cosette - This girl has a super soprano voice that we hear during AHFOL. I like the way she stands up to JVJ in "there's little I know......" She is not a "sloppy" Cosette.

Éponine - this is one performance I have trouble with. There is something about her interpretation of the role that confuses me. I can't put my finger on it, though. I heard her sing OMO on the TV, again, this morning and I was cringing at the end. It was the same with each of the performances I have seen. She has an immensely powerful voice and towards the end of the song she is screeching. She sings the song with tremendous anger. She doesn't show any vulnerability or sadness in her facial expressions. I am not convinced that she believes that Marius will love her eventually. Definitely NOT one of my favourite Eponines.

Thenadiers - very funny. I liked the new staging of MoTH, especially the bit with the parrot. One complaint. One of my favourite lines "chateau neuf de turpentine" has gone.

Ensemble - Lots of enthusiasm and energy. However, in ODM I thought they needed even more energy.

Most of the songs were great. Being a bit picky, the big anthems (DYHTPS, RandB and ODM) were all under sung. They didn't generate enough emotion. Every time I have come away feeling a bit flat.

Glad I have found this forum, to which I will continue to contribute. I will be going to see this production many time more before it transfers to other cities.

Finally, this is a very good production. However, nowhere near as good as others I've seen nor anywhere as good as Sir Cameron Mackintosh was saying, whilst he was over here. The cast is very, very young and will only get better over time.

As an aside, it was surprising to see Mme Bahorel contributing on here. I don't know if she remembers, we used to have many forum conversations about the 3NT in America.
Last edited by dnaylorau on Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dnaylorau

Postby dnaylorau » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:45 am

I went to Les Mis Australia again last night (27th August). Had a great seat - C 28. From here I could see everything that was happening and was right in the middle of the action.

Unfortunately, and I hate to say this, this performance must rank as one of the worst I have ever seen by a professional cast. I think that eight shows a week for this very young and inexperienced cast is proving too much and they need a rest to re-energise.

The show was lifeless - no energy and some of the singing was terrible. Enjolras and Marius may as well have not been there, such were their performances. Valjean seemed to have lots of problems with his phrasing and seem to get himself into problems. A previous poster commented on the number of spoken words. Well last night there seem to be more than I remembered. The highlight was still Javert. Hayden Tee is a vastly experienced musical theatre performer, and it shows.

I don't know what else to say really. I am so disappointed because I want to be excited by this production. I am going again in a couple of weeks so I hope this was just a blip.

Two points of confusion, I noticed.

1. Little Gervais appeared before Valjean had "visited" the Bishop. Surely in the book this came after, when he felt remorse for what he had done to the savoyard?
2. The scene with the Bishop, when JVJ was returned by the soldiers, was played outside the Bishop's house. The Bishop's sister appeared outside with the candlesticks with no apparent instruction to fetch them. Why did she do that, I wonder?

BTW I went to the Victor Hugo exhibition - From Page to Stage - in the afternoon. This is a must see for anyone in Melbourne. It's on at the State Library until November.

Dr Craven

Postby Dr Craven » Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:21 pm

It's just baffling that THAT was the best Marius they could find. I can see that getting a young, boyish sounding person is the trend now, but that doesn't need to entail them also being an awful, poppy singer.

In regards to the exhaustion thing, I'll consider myself lucky I saw it towards the start of its run. I'm not at all surprised to hear that Hayden's holding up well compared to the others - he's so good. I'll probably see it again when it comes to Sydney next year.

dnaylorau

Postby dnaylorau » Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:05 am

Yesterday (7th December) I had a ticket for the Sunday afternoon performance. After much soul searching and deliberation, I decided not to go. Believe me when I say that was a huge decision to make and one that I would never consider ever having made. So why did I make it?

I have been to see this production eight times previously and each time I left feeling frustrated and flat. There are so many things that I don't agree with.

Firstly, there are a lot of spoken/shouted lines. These detract from the power of the music. On My Own, Bring Him Home and Drink with Me are three examples that leave me cringing. There are examples in almost every scene.

The actors chosen to play Enjolras and Marius are (in my opinion) extremely weak. I don't see any ability to tell the story, credibly, through their singing.

The ensemble, especially in One Day More, Do You Hear the People Sing and Red and Black do not fill me with emotion and leave me somewhat cold.

I think that the girl who plays Éponine, I am sorry to say, has misjudged the significance of the part and fails to tell the story. Her On My Own is not sung as a melancholy/sad ballad. Instead she belts out/screams the lines. I have spent several hours comparing her rendition with that of other Eponines, namely Carrie Hope Fisher (current London), Lea Salonga, Samantha Barks, Kaho Shimada and Frances Rufelle. None of them belt the song. They all interpret the song with the book and the story in mind. I did the same thing with Fantine. Although I do not have as many problems with the Melbourne Fantine, she is not as good as others in the role, such as Ruthie Henshall, Lea Salonga, Celinde Schoenemaker, Kerry Ellis and Patty LuPone.

On the plus side though, Hayden Tee, as Javert, is outstanding. His Stars is excellent. The Thenardiers are excellent, also. All the comic interludes are as good as any others, I have seen.

At the last performance, I met a couple I had bumped into in New York. We had both seen the current Broadway production with Ramin Karimloo. Comparing experiences, I was surprised to find how many times we agreed that the New York production was vastly superior and many of the comments above were also shared by them.

In conclusion, it does pain me to make these comments because this is not a bad production by any means. I may go to see it again when it moves to Sydney. I do need to go back to New York and/or London to relieve my pain.

NB: These comments are my own and I am sure there are many who do not share my views. This production has received praise from the critics and from the vast majority of people who have seen it.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:23 pm

Sounds like the Marius and Éponine are falling into the trap that many have done recently. Éponine is not just there to belt out a well known song, and Marius is not just a romantic little wimp.
Enjolras looks pretty but singing seems to be quite hit and miss.
So pleased Hayden Tee seems to be living up to my expectations though. Desperate to see him in the role
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Return to “Les Misérables”