West End 2014/2015

Any discussion related to any production or staging of Boublil and Schönberg's Les Misérables.
Acaila

West End 2014/2015

Postby Acaila » Wed May 07, 2014 12:02 pm

Some casting news

Celinde Schoenmaker is returning as Fantine.
Jo Loxton is joining as the Factory Girl
Adam Linstead is staying but not as Grantaire (my thoughts are that he's going to be resident director, since he's not Thenardier but will still cover, and Chris Key is off to Australia, but no confirmation yet)
Si Shorten is being moved up to first cover Valjean

And while all of these are lovely and important,
The greatest news of all is:

David Thaxton is returning to Les Mis as Javert.
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

Alouette

Re: West End 2014/2015

Postby Alouette » Wed May 07, 2014 3:15 pm

I am absolutely delighted about...erm, Thackovert? I wasn't into Les Mis when he was Enjolras and I think we're so lucky to have him back. It's a dream role of his. He'll knock Stars out of the water, like, he will just kill it. I don't even want to imagine his Soliloquy. There's his whole history with Les Mis and the sense of an iconic actor returning . Plus, I mean, there's those photos of him in an army uniform in Passion so we already know he'll look good :D

Peter Lockeyer is rumoured for Valjean but it's just that, a rumour.

And yeah, Adam possibly for resident director, although swing/continuing dance captain was my guess. But in saying that I forgot he was covering Thenardier so I must be wrong, as a swing couldn't be the official cover (...right?)

MmeBahorel

Postby MmeBahorel » Wed May 07, 2014 4:04 pm

It's been done in the US - Scott Logsdon was a Thénardier cover from c. 1989 to 2001, when he left the tour, and he was a swing the whole time. There was also a couple Éponine covers who were swings: Diana Kaarina and Dawn Younker off the top of my head, but there may have been others.

In London, swings have been second cover - Amanda Dainty was second cover Mme T, so that may remain a possibility (I think I saw her as everything except Mme T, to be honest). Wasn't one of the male swings around that time a Marius cover, too, or am I making that up? (2nd cover, again, if I'm not making it up.)

It may come down to union regs/workplace law as to what the difference between first and second cover is, what swings get paid vs. straight ensemble vs. ensemble covering a feature, any laws about rehearsal time (swing rehearsals + additional understudy rehearsals?), etc. But swing/second cover has definitely been done over there, and swing/understudy in the US.
What kind of literature and what kind of life is the same question. - Tom Stoppard

Prisoner 24653

Postby Prisoner 24653 » Thu May 08, 2014 1:11 am

YAY! Can't wait to hear Thaxton as Javert opposite a Valjean who isn't Simon Bowman. The rumour about Lockyer is interesting, but we shall see!

Rachelle

Postby Rachelle » Fri May 09, 2014 8:02 am

I can't believe I'm actually going to get to see it this July!!
Can't wait to hear about the casting for Enjolras and Éponine as I think that both Anton and Carrie are leaving.
"Cure your Cholera with boiled water and bananas"

Alouette

Postby Alouette » Fri May 09, 2014 9:22 am

That's great Rachelle! Did you have the ticket before this casting news came out? I was considering seeing Les Mis in June since I'll be in London anyway but unfortunately it's pre-cast change and since hearing the news I think I just won't bother this time.

If recent twitter follows by other cast members are any indication of actually being in the cast, this Peter Lockyer thing is looking legit...

@MmeBahorel - thanks! So it's possible in theory, and also because Adam hasn't specified whether he's first or second cover,if there are any regulations affecting that. I can't wait to find out!

Rachelle

Postby Rachelle » Fri May 09, 2014 10:43 am

I'd been intending to go anyway but I didn't actually buy my ticket until yesterday by which time I'd heard the news.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Fri May 09, 2014 11:31 am

Yeah, Lockyer is definitely in London at the moment. With Melanie too so maybe it is a longer term thing!

Interesting indeed! I'm not totally sold on Lockyer, though I don't think I've sat down and properly watched the video of him. It's not anything like dislike, it's just that it's been awfully hard to get his adorable Marius out of my head (Thaxton at least tends to look quite different I find now and I doubt he'd be dying his hair for Javert!). Though I remember Havvy's review of him spoke very highly of him, so I'd still be interested to see it, there's nothing at all in that casting that would stop me from going to see it.

Obviously not happening this year, but I had a random thought because of Thacko being on my mind - Reckon Nancy Sullivan would make a good Fantine?
Abaisse Chief/Chef

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Sat May 10, 2014 1:02 am

It's actually in the Actor's Equity rulebook that a swing can be either a full swing (as in someone who doesn't perform unless called in to replace someone as a swing), a partial swing (a chorus member who also covers other chorus roles, as in someone who does appear on stage consistently) or a swing/understudy in which they are also principal understudy.

We had one in the recent Toronto production, Heather McGuigan was a full swing who was also first cover for Fantine.

I haven't been following what Lockyer's saying on Twitter, but I had thought they might have been invited to take part in some kind of Miss Saigon opening night gala.
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sat May 10, 2014 1:57 am

I'm sure there's been a swing in London who was also a lead cover but I can't think who for the life of me!

Chances of going from Grantaire to a swing though? I know Dayle Hodge went Prouvaire -> Swing, but it just seems a bit unlikely to me. From what I've gathered it's not like it would really involve more time off if considering the new baby, so it would seem quite a pointless change.

Good call on the Miss Saigon, I haven't heard much about what went on there so it very well could be an idea.
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sat May 10, 2014 3:39 am

New Cosette is Emilie Fleming, who some might remember as being in one of the Lloyd Webber cast a musical shows (the Dorothy one I'm pretty sure) I have to say I recall her being really awful in that, but she's been to drama school (GSA) in the interim so hopefully the acting will have improved.

Also heard that Enjolras and Feuilly are also fresh Guildford grads new to the West End. Michael Colbourne is thought to be one of the two guys there due to twitter following and such.

EDIT: Oh hey, LondonLesMis has updated:
http://www.londonmusicalsonline.com/lon ... st1415.php
Including new Thenardier Tom Edden. And apparently Carolina Gregory is coming back as an Éponine/Cosette cover, that's interesting!
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Rachelle

Postby Rachelle » Sat May 10, 2014 5:05 am

Hopefully she has a decent soprano voice that we haven't heard yet. She tended to get relatively alto-ish songs in over the rainbow (from the videos on YouTube).

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Sat May 10, 2014 5:46 am

Her spotlight page has coloratura soprano listed, so maybe it's just a case of proper training bringing out her upper range.
Abaisse Chief/Chef

Rachelle

Postby Rachelle » Wed May 14, 2014 8:48 pm

Is Wendy Ferguson staying? I haven't seen her name on any lists of cast members who are leaving.

Rachelle

Postby Rachelle » Thu May 15, 2014 2:51 pm

Sorry for the double post

Carrie Hope Fletcher is staying on as Éponine from June 2014
http://www.londonmusicalsonline.com/lon ... st1415.php

Return to “Les Misérables”