The New Broadway Revival - Starting March 2014

Any discussion related to any production or staging of Boublil and Schönberg's Les Misérables.
Auf die Barrikaden

Re: The New Broadway Revival - Starting March 2014

Postby Auf die Barrikaden » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:46 pm

Timeline: 4NT-Toronto-Broadway. Same set I assume again. As they threw away all options on trying out different stuff pre-Broadway, it'll be the tour with a new cast (almost). My excitement got lowered.
Resident Les Miz prop expert and collector
Non licet omnibus adire Corinthum
Former Roles: Jesus (Jesus Christ Superstar), Dr Orin Scrivello (Little Shop of Horrors), Ensemble Cameo (Fame)

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:38 pm

Oh, I could have already told you that. The Mirvishes had a brand new production planned for Toronto, that was intended to sit for a good long time, but then CamMack was like "oh hey, let me make this easier for you, you can just use all this tour stuff" and dumped all the US Tour crap in Toronto with the stipulation of "I'm gonna need this back in March, k, thanks, bye."

Everything's going from Toronto to Broadway. Basically all the set pieces, all the deck, all the new proscenium they built for the Princess of Wales, the costumes, the props, a fair amount of the cast, the whole thing is picking up and going.

But it's not technically a pre-Broadway tryout, it's just a sad state of affairs where CamMack wouldn't let the Mirvishes provide their own stuff and keep the show.
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

MmeBahorel

Postby MmeBahorel » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:30 am

Somehow, Cammack continues to surprise me, even though I know I shouldn't be surprised.

At least, I think "surprise" is an ok term for when I'm facepalming over something I couldn't have come up with on my own but is entirely obviously within the realm of shit the man pulls.

He must have provoked an actual German word by now, right?
What kind of literature and what kind of life is the same question. - Tom Stoppard

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:11 am

Surely.

I think part of the problem is that the Mirvishes got the licensing all ready and in place last year. Laurence Connor was here casting in spring of 2012 with anticipation of a Fall 2012 opening, but since that fell through and they opened this past fall, that's "a year you've already had the license and did nothing with it." Arguably, if the 2012 production had gone through and assuming ticket sales were solid, it could have gone indefinitely as they wouldn't even have had access to the US tour stuff, since it would still be running at the time.

Alas, the Mirvishes are unimpressed. I just hope this doesn't booch us for Miss Saigon. The Princess of Wales theatre was originally built to house Saigon, and CamMack made a lovely comment about hoping to bring it back here for the US Tour before David Mirvish rips the theatre down for the world's ugliest condos, but CamMack seems to be all about pretty words these days. Who knows.
"Quand vous aurez besoin de Bahorel, capitaine, Bahorel est là! Je sais faire trébucher tous les chevaux du garde-corps avec une ficelle... Rien qu'une petite ficelle. Enfin, pensez à Bahorel du Café Musain!"

Auf die Barrikaden

Postby Auf die Barrikaden » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:33 pm

MmeBahorel wrote:He must have provoked an actual German word by now, right?

Not just one here... :mrgreen:
Former Roles: Jesus (Jesus Christ Superstar), Dr Orin Scrivello (Little Shop of Horrors), Ensemble Cameo (Fame)

MmeBahorel

Postby MmeBahorel » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:25 pm

Wait, the Princess of Wales is getting torn down?! And replaced with torn paper?

I am so out of the loop. Not that I'm usually in the TO theatre loop, but I have Canadian Theatre friends, so generally, this is the sort of thing I swear I should have run across on Facebook before now.
What kind of literature and what kind of life is the same question. - Tom Stoppard

deHavilland

Postby deHavilland » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:43 am

Yep, about a year ago it was formally announced that David Mirvish is planning to rip out the PoW and put in condos. (But his justification for changing what is currently an art-zoned area, or whatever, into residential living space is that he's going to put an art gallery on the first floor. Bravo, Dave Mirvish, bravo!) First plans fell through because he wants the condos to be a bajillion stories high and the area's not at all zoned to support that, but it's apparently still in the works.

If you know anything about Toronto, he's also planning on tearing out Honest Ed's, the discount store that his father opened in 1948. Because David Mirvish is kind of an asshole.

Alouette

Postby Alouette » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:46 pm

Cosette and Marius have now been cast.

http://www.broadway.com/buzz/172673/a-h ... iserables/

Both newcomers to Broadway it seems.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:30 pm

How funny that she went from playing Fantine to Cosette! I think one or two of our number were at the MUNY production, so we may get some info on how she is from that. Though I will say Fantine is quite a low role really, and I like a proper soprano like Mama Caine as Cosette, so :?
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

MmeBahorel

Postby MmeBahorel » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:25 pm

Andy isn't really a "newcomer" in the usual sense. He's extremely popular from having been Hanschen in the Spring Awakening tour, and he was on Smash. Charlotte is - she was one of the "just out of school" people in that MUNY production.

Last Cosette-Fantine I saw was Jacqui Piro, who was terrible as Fantine. (admittedly, there was some awful direction going on, so it isn't entirely her fault when she was likely told to do stupid shit.) Either Charlotte has a heck of a range, or being Richard Maltby's daughter gets you places when they have a gap to fill.

Flynn

Postby Flynn » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:20 pm

Kuhn also did Fantine at some point, didn't she?

Alouette

Postby Alouette » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:22 pm

Maybe Charlotte sang Fantine high a la Sierra. She's definitely a soprano according to her resume. Not sure if Judy Kuhn's ever played Fantine though!

Interesting though that her father's been a B&S collaborator, just found that out.

Auf die Barrikaden

Postby Auf die Barrikaden » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:30 pm

Judy took on Fantine after Lea in the Bway revival (the 1st) didn't she? She did.

Acaila

Postby Acaila » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:21 am

Hmmm, you make good points, I had forgotten these things. {slaps self on wrist}
Mind you, I've never liked Judy Kuhn as Cosette, so I maintain that my point still stands! :lol:
Revolution: like Christmas come early only with more death
Abaisse Chief/Chef
"Les Amis Fun Package - The Awesome Traits of Each"
"She's basically Enjolras meets Amy Pond"
Sings Stars "way better than Russel Crowe"

MmeBahorel

Postby MmeBahorel » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:52 am

Judy has a lower voice than a typical Cosette and it was significantly later, after using a lot more of her lower range consistently for years.

I really think the twenty year gap makes a huge difference. Also why I forgot Judy - I'd seen her in a bunch of shows, so I actually keep forgetting her as Cosette largely because I'm used to seeing her, and seeing her in lower range.

Return to “Les Misérables”